Dragon Knights Fan Fiction / Dragon Knight (adult) Fan Fiction ❯ No Scars Only Memories ❯ Part 5: Reliving Reunions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

No Scars Only Memories

 

Part 5: Reliving Reunions

 

"You should smile more often it suits you." He said to the woman next to him. They've been friends for a year now. That was how it was going to stay.

 

"Really? Are you going to act like my father?" she asked with a bit of bitterness in her voice.

 

"No, it's not my obligation. But every time you smile…it never reaches your eyes."

 

"I smile. Isn't that enough?"

 

"Why do you always have to be so difficult?"

 

"Because I can."

 

----------------------------

 

It was the next morning as the sun shined through the openings from the dark drapes. Rath groggily woke up and stretched a little while cursing the sun mentally. He just noticed that this wasn't his room. He heard movement not too far from him. There three feet away was Rune who was still sleeping. It was a surprise since he usually woke up before he did. He smiled slightly.

 

Last night was the first time in three weeks was he able to actually talk to the blond. To his classmates it'd be an accomplishment but to him it was something nice. He wasn't going to tell Thatz since he might blurt it out to the whole school that Rune's being social. He wasn't going to do that.

 

Rath stealthily got up from under the blanket and stood up. He needed to get ready for his parents and girlfriend were coming today. Maybe Rune could meet Cesia. She'd make anyone smile no matter how gloom or cold hearted they are. He folded his sheets and put them back. He snuck out the door silently.

 

----------------------------

 

Essan calmly watched the channel it was on. She never usually watched TV at all. It was just something to do if there was nothing to do. Right now all she was doing was waiting. After all it wasn't everyday that you saw old friends. But it's like she never really talked to them in a long time. Flipping the TV off she stood up and walked over to Rune's room to see if he's awake or not.

 

She opened the door quietly as possible and peeked in. Essan saw that he was on the floor sleeping with a few sheets on him. She sighed and stepped in. She picked him up while not disturbing him and placed him on the bed. She pulled the covers about to the waist and smiled a little. But the smile never reaches her face. It's something that seems to run in the family. Right now everything was progressing slowly. It was not part of the plan.

 

Essan walked out as she noted that it would be one more hour before her son woke up.

 

----------------------------

 

The doorbell rang. Outside the blond-haired man was fidgeting a bit while the long black haired woman was trying to calm him down. It didn't work. He was still fidgeting. Nervousness caught up with him. It seemed seeing his old friend gave him the chills. A lot can happen in sixteen years. He was sure she'd gone cold throughout the years. After all the first time they met she was sarcastically icy to everyone.

 

"Don't act so nervous. One of these days you might die of a heart attack. But who am I to stop you?" A familiar voice said from behind them. He jumped a bit before looking behind him.

 

"Long time no see. Why don't you come inside, I'm sure you're going to be much safer I assure you." Essan said leading her two guests in. She led them to the living room. "Please have a seat. I'll be with you shortly. I have some business to take care of."

 

----------------------------

 

Rune wasn't in the best of moods. When his mother told him to go for a walk he did. Not run into trouble!

 

Rath and he were trying to run away from their attackers. He didn't know any of these people. Right now they were running through alleyways avoiding their pursuers and any other danger lurking within the shadows. It didn't help as they were both thrown back as soon as they were in a secluded area. Rath was semi-conscious but wasn't useful at the moment. Run halted his movement as something sharp and cool was pressed against his neck. He opened his eyes and stared straight into a pair of red demonic eyes.

 

"Well, well. Too bad you're such a beauty. But a job's a job and I can't fail now." The person said. She raised the blade and was about to land a hit but an arm blocked its destination.

 

"Now, now, Shyrendora, is that anyway to treat an old friend?" The assassin, identified as Shyrendora, looked in surprise at the woman who blocked her attack. The long midnight black hair and deep pale blue eyes were something imprinted in her mind. She retreated the knife and gave out a knowing smile.

 

"Essan. It's been so long."

 

"Too long."

 

"Is there a particular reason why you're stopping me from doing my job?"

 

"Why yes there is. He's my son. And the only person that gets to kill him is himself. After all it's our family rule."

 

"Ah yes, those petty suicidal rules. Your family seems to fade away so easily. Is this some sort of plan?"

 

"Actually it just seems to function that way. But for old times sake, would you and your brother care to join us for a reunion? I'm sure Tetheus would like to see the both of you again."

 

Shyrendora's face took a surprised look.

 

"He's alive? But we thought he was-"

 

"Dead?" She nodded. "But I kept him alive and in hiding. Just right in plain sight. You never even bothered looking after the war between sorcerers and demons. But I guess that's just how you think. C'mon and don't worry about your employer. I have him taken care of and you will get your pay."

 

----------------------------

 

Rath groggily woke up. He blinked a few times. He was surprised to see his parents and girlfriend looming over him. He sat up slowly and looked around. He was back in his room. Everything was normal. No wait, this wasn't his room he was in a guest room. Finally realizing that he had company, he gave his parents a hug and then his girlfriend. They began talking about things until a knock graced their door. Cernozora peeked in.

 

"Sorry for interrupting. I just came to tell you that dinner is ready if you're hungry." She said before silently closing the door. They decided to join her. Since they were hungry. When they entered there was about a feast for about ten people. They were probably ten of them there anyways. The only one missing was the regular.

 

Essan looked around noting that Rune wasn't there. That was expected. She hated the fact that their bloodline could go on days without food and still live and have enough energy to fight back. Having partial blood of a demon really isn't helping their situation any better. She decided to just force feed him later. Right now she was entertaining the guests and it would be rude to just walk out of the room.

 

----------------------------

 

Rune woke up with the gentle shaking. He blinked a few times before seeing his mother sitting on his side of the bed. She held that small smile, a smile that she shows to everyone else. He'd rarely see her smile as if she was happy. Every single one of them held bitter regret. She brushed her hand over his bangs.

 

"Sleeping beauty has finally awoken. Sleep well my son?" Essan asked as she opened the cover of the still fresh food.

 

"Yes mother," Rune answered.

 

"Good. Now sit up and eat. Otherwise I'd drag Tetheus in here to force feed you." She said with a mock stern. Rune just sighed.

 

"Mother, that trick went out the window years ago."

 

"Okay then maybe I should have that adopted demon come in here and do it."

 

"I doubt that very much mother."

 

"Hm…come here my son."

 

She said extending her arms out as if in a hug. Rune went into the embrace. He returned it greatly. He'd never felt this in a long time and was savoring the hug his mother provided him just like those years ago. Mother and son stayed like that. This was their most heartfelt moment. The closest they could ever get.

 

TBC--------------------

 

Kinshin: Sorry if it's so boring. It's right before the best parts when all the actions seem to kick in and relationships begin to stir around the corner. Anyways thanks for your visits!

 

Like it? Review!