Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XI, New Faces and New Developments ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Cha, cha, cha, not Sanami Matoh, cha, cha, cha, not making any money, cha, cha, cha, lots of yaoi here…
Set after the last FAKE in Love Act. I really hope you can figure that out without me telling you every time. Tee hee.
 
“That's two days in a row!” Dee bellowed as they entered the conference room. “You had better have a damn good reason for calling us in!”
Rose scowled at him and threw an empty mug at him.
“Go get me some coffee, Detective. Now.”
“Bite me, sir. That's not what I get paid for.”
“Well I'm having a hard time figuring out what we do pay you for, so make yourself useful for once.”
“Jackass,” Dee grunted and turned.
Ryo sighed and shook his head. He brushed a hand through his hair and turned to JJ, his fellow sharpshooter starting to show something to him.
“Hey, Randy,” Erin said with a grin. “I saved you a seat.”
“Um, thanks,” Ryo answered as he frowned. “I'm fine.”
“Come on,” Erin waved a report at him. “I'll bet I've got just what you're looking for.”
Despite years of being surrounded by Dee Laytner and Berkley Rose, Ryo was still surprisingly susceptible to the double entendre. But he did have a pretty good idea of what Erin was actually trying to offer him, and so did the rest of the room's occupants. Drake grinned widely, possibly imagining how Dee would react when he heard the news, Ted blinked in surprise, and JJ rolled his eyes. Rose's mouth thinned and he frowned irritably.
“Er, thanks anyway,” Ryo said.
Erin frowned and slumped in his seat as Ryo proceeded to ignore him. Well this just wasn't fair. His eyes lit up as he spotted the faint traces of a blush on Ryo's cheeks and his lips curved in a small smile. Maybe he was getting through.
“So this is what we found when we ran Makkel's bank records,” JJ said and handed Ryo the print out. “Look at the last six withdrawals.”
Ryo sighed. “Why are criminals so stupid?”
“Here's your damn coffee,” Dee growled and jammed the cup at the Commissioner.
“Be careful with that, it's hot,” Rose snapped as he yanked the mug away.
“I hope you burn your tongue off, you prick,” Dee grumbled and dropped into an empty chair by Drake.
Drake chuckled and propped his feet up on the table.
“Anyway,” he said. “As JJ just informed your partner, it seems that Makkel has mysteriously risen from the grave and his spirit's making large cash withdrawals all over town.”
“This sounds like a job for Dee Laytner,” Ryo said distantly, his nose still buried in the file.
Rose snorted laughter and JJ hid a wide grin behind one hand. Dee scowled at Ryo and snatched the file away.
“Ass,” he snapped and popped Ryo upside the head with the file.
Ryo chuckled and winked at Dee. As always, the irritation disappeared and Dee soon found himself grinning as he peered down at the records.
“Do we have photos from these ATM's yet?”
“Just came in.”
The picture was of a young kid, a boy maybe two years older than Bikky. Even in the grainy black and white photos the terror on his face was pretty obvious.
“Any idea who he is?” Ryo asked softly.
“No, but we've got an APB out on him now.”
 
This is no place for children, Ryo thought sadly as they trekked up the dank apartment building stairs. A few stained faces peered out at them, doors slamming shut fast as the detectives climbed upwards. Rose was leading the way, Ryo and Dee behind him, Ted and Erin bringing up the rear.
A uniform had radioed in after he spotted the kid entering the building and had seen him emerge on the roof. The cop was still downstairs, he and JJ and Drake covering the exits as they all wondered what in the hell the kid was doing in a place like this. All told, he had withdrawn over half a million dollars the night before.
They finally came to the roof door and Rose nudged it open, the blast of the night air muggy and tainted with the smell of the city. He stepped out and Ryo followed, Dee close behind.
“Watch the door,” Dee commanded softly, Ted and Erin both nodding.
They walked across the roof, their shoes silent on the tar that had been poured on it, a few rocks stuck in the inky blackness. Dee's fingers slid to his gun and he drew it slowly, uncertain if he would need it or not, but not wanting to waste anytime if he did. He glanced at Ryo and Rose and watched as they did the same. The moved slowly across the roof until a shaking form became visible at the other end.
The kid was crouched down, his arm tied off and a needle hanging in one vein. He was staring up at the sky, a few tears running down his face as a long sob escaped him.
“Hey,” Rose called softly.
The kid scrambled to his feet and pressed himself tightly against the building's edge. His drugged eyes skidded across them, moving sluggishly as he tried to take them in.
“I knew it,” he whispered. “Cops. He's really dead isn't he?”
“Who?” Dee asked.
“Makkel,” the kid murmured. “He's dead, right?”
“Yes,” Ryo said gently. “He was killed last night. Did you know him?”
“How the fuck do you think I got his account and pin numbers?” the kid snapped. “Of course I fucking new him!”
His voice broke off in a long sob and he ripped the needle free and threw it across the roof. His hand slid up and scrubbed across his face.
“He was my father,” he said quietly. “I'm his bastard son, I thought you cops should know this kind of stuff. The ATM was our code, I'd take out some cash when I needed him. He'd always find me, but this time…I just kept taking out more money and he never showed.”
“I'm sorry,” Ryo said softly.
“Yeah,” the kid said. “Me too.”
He turned and stepped off the edge of the building.
For a split second nobody moved. Ryo gasped then, the air shooting out of his lungs as he blinked in disbelief. A hissed curse escaped Dee and Rose blinked. Then they were running forward, all three looking over the edge. Ryo shook his head and turned away, one hand passing up over his eyes. Dee pounded his fist on the building's ledge and cursed again, his other hand gripping the building tightly. Rose remained still a moment and then pulled the phone from his pocket.
“This is Commissioner Rose, I need to report a Jumper.”
 
Ryo sat on the couch, a steaming cup of coffee sitting untouched on the table in front of him. He had changed into a baggy sweater and jeans, his hair hanging wetly around his face as it slowly dried. One leg was pulled up close, his chin propped on his knee as he stared blankly out the large window. The city twinkled at him, a sight that usually made him smile, but tonight it seemed distant and almost sinister. This place didn't care. A kid had died tonight, no, a kid had taken his own life tonight, and it probably wouldn't even raise a dozen eyebrows tomorrow. Ryo closed his eyes for a moment and hugged his knee tighter. The boy hadn't even hesitated. The sound of the shower cut off and Ryo sighed softly. What were they going to say to each other? They probably should talk about what they had seen, but Ryo had no idea about what to say.
The couch dipped a little as Dee sat down next to him, his eyes following Ryo's and drifting over the city. They sat frozen like that for a moment and then Dee pounced forward and wrapped Ryo up in his arms. A surprised sound escaped Ryo, but then he was pinned between Dee and the couch, his lover gently rubbing his hands up and down Ryo's back. Dee sighed and pulled Ryo closer, needing his warmth and the solid feel of his body as he buried his face into Ryo's neck.
“Sometimes I hate our job,” Dee murmured and Ryo nodded a little.
“Yeah,” Ryo whispered and his arms slid around Dee.
Both closed their eyes and held on tightly, letting the world drift away as they remained carefully trapped within each other.
 
The rest of the week proved to be largely routine. They investigated a bank robbery which turned out to be an inside job; one of the tellers had used her access to steal the money. They checked out two murder scenes, and sealed two confessions. And, of course, there was paperwork.
“Dammit,” Dee grumbled. “Why can't they hire someone to do this?”
“I believe we're it,” Ryo answered as he typed. “Stop complaining.”
“Dee-senpai!” JJ burst into the room and flew to Dee.
“JJ!” Dee bellowed and held an arm out. “Arm's length!”
JJ grinned at him and wiggled his eyebrows.
“What are you trying to tell me, you stud?”
Ryo snorted laughter and shook his head.
“I'll leave you two alone.”
“Wait, no Ryo!”
The office door clicked shut behind him and Dee scowled at JJ.
“What do you want now?”
“I need to ask you something, it's serious,” JJ's usual smile disappeared and he stared flatly at Dee.
“What?” Dee said with a frown.
“How did you know when Ryo was ready to…you know…”
Dee blinked and then blushed, his scowl returning as he stared stonily at JJ.
“Don't ask me things like that, JJ!” he yelled. “It's none of your business.”
“But I need to know,” JJ persisted. “I don't know what to do.”
“Please,” Dee scoffed. “I went to school with you JJ, I know the score here.”
“Those didn't matter,” JJ said firmly. “I don't want to fuck this up. Please Dee.”
Dee's scowl remained and he scratched at the back of his head, the blush still there as he stared up at the ceiling.
“Alright, but if you tell anyone any part of what I tell you now, I swear to god I'll make you regret it. Don't think that I can't torture you JJ.”
“I get it,” JJ said chipperly. “I promise.”
Dee sighed heavily. What the hell was he doing?
“Look, with Ryo, it was a lot of trial and error. He hadn't ever…I can't talk about this, especially with you,” Dee groaned, the blush darkening.
“Dee!” JJ pleaded. “I can't ask anyone else!”
“Well, why don't you ask Drake how he hooked up with Diana.”
“That's a straight relationship,” JJ said, waving one hand dismissively. “Not that there's anything wrong with that.”
Dee snorted a quick chuckle and sighed as he lit a cigarette.
“Okay, seriously, I just…well…dammit, JJ I don't know how it happened. I asked him, okay? We were going to take a little…test drive, but you ruined that.”
JJ frowned and then realization dawned on his face.
“That psycho serial killer, the hand guy!”
“Yeah,” Dee grumbled. “The hand guy.”
“I walked in on…” JJ's voice faded and he at least had the decency to blush a little. “Sorry.”
Dee grunted and silence stretched out.
“So…then what happened?” JJ asked.
“Ryo decided he was ready,” Dee said flatly. “That's it. I asked if he was sure, he said yes and that's all there was to it. And this conversation is over, and I'm already asking myself how in the hell I ended up talking to you about this in the first place. Jesus Christ.”
JJ frowned and leaned against the door, his eyes distant as he thought. Dee sighed and scratched the back of his head again.
“Look JJ, just talk to him, okay? Just be honest with him about how you feel, God knows you're good at that.”
JJ grinned at him and Dee sighed.
“Hey,” Dee said as he slid the cigarette back in his mouth. “I think this earned me at least one pounce-free week.”
JJ frowned. “Two days.”
“A week.”
“Four days and I'll keep my promise about not telling anyone.”
“You dick, you better keep that anyway.”
“I will,” JJ laughed. “A week. Thanks Dee-senpai.”
 
“I swear he got taller,” Ryo said as Bikky climbed off the bus and waved at them.
“You're imagining things,” Dee said. “Over here Biks!”
Bikky sprinted to them, a wide grin on his face, his bag slewn over his shoulder.
“Hey guys! Did you miss me?”
“Of course we did,” Ryo said with a smile. “Especially the fifty seven dollars that went to camp with you.”
“Heh, heh,” Bikky gave Ryo a grin. “Yeah, about that…”
“Oh don't worry about it,” Ryo said and shrugged. “I've already started tacking on interest.”
“What?”
Ryo laughed and Bikky chuckled. Ryo shook his head.
“I'm serious.”
Bikky sighed resignedly and they walked towards the car.
“Hey,” Bikky said with a frown. “Where's the dork mobile?”
“It finally gave up and died,” Dee said and pressed one hand over his heart. “It worked until its little metal heart just broke.”
“So you got this thing?” Bikky said as he walked around the car.
“It's temporary,” Dee answered.
“Good,” Bikky said. “I'm getting my license in three years and I'd be embarrassed to be seen cruising around in this rust bucket.”
“That's a good point,” Ryo said as he strapped in his seatbelt. “I think that's a great reason to buy this bad boy.”
“Dad!”
 
Dee smiled and handed his plate to Ryo.
“Great meal.”
“Thanks,” Ryo said and glanced at the bowls that Bikky and Dee had licked clean. “You sure you ate enough?”
“For now,” Dee chuckled.
Ryo dropped the dishes into the sink and glanced at Bikky's door. His son had spent the meal talking non-stop about basketball camp. He had shoveled food into his mouth and argued with Dee, and it was almost like he had never been gone. At last Bikky had disappeared into his room, the apartment soon pulsing with the beat of his loud music. Ryo sighed and dried his hands off.
“Finish those for me, okay?” Ryo asked as he brushed his fingers across Dee's neck.
“Sure.”
Ryo knocked at Bikky's door and waited. He frowned slightly and pounded on the wood. There was a thud inside and then Bikky opened the door.
“Yeah Dad?”
“We need to talk.”
“Is the music too loud?” Bikky asked.
“Yes, but that's not what I'm here about.”
A nervous frown darted across Bikky's face and he flipped the stereo off and sat back down on the bed. Ryo closed the door behind him and sat down next to Bikky. A long moment of silence stretched out and Ryo frowned as he thought.
“We need to talk,” he said again.
Bikky sighed. “Dad, is this going to be the `Don't do Drugs Speech,' or the `Don't have Sex Speech'?”
Ryo's mouth dropped open and he sighed now.
“Both I guess,” he said with a small smile.
“Look,” Bikky said, his hands locking together in his lap. “Dad, my Dad…well, shit, I guess he taught me everything I need to know about drugs. I'm not going to waste my time, ever. I've seen enough people ruin their lives and end up dead because of them. And…well…as far as sex goes…well…”
He scratched his blushing cheek and stared up at the ceiling.
“Carol's worth waiting for, so I'm not going to do anything until we're ready, okay?”
Ryo blinked and stared at Bikky in surprise.
“Looks like you've thought about this.”
“Yeah, well,” Bikky grinned and shrugged. “I got a second chance here, I'm not going to waste it.”
“I never thought you would,” Ryo said and slung his arm around Bikky's shoulders. “Have I told you lately that I'm proud of you?”
“You don't have to keep telling me things like that,” Bikky said, a little embarrassment in his voice. “I know already, alright?”
“I just want to make sure that you do,” Ryo said. “G'night Bikky. Use your headphones.”
“Sure Dad. `Night.”
 
Ryo was sipping his coffee as he walked, a file folder balanced in one hand as he moved. He wasn't paying close attention to where he was going, but the 27th had gotten pretty used to him, and most people just smiled and stepped aside. Erin had no such intentions. He grinned as he bumped into Ryo and purposely knocked the file to the ground.
“Sorry, sorry,” Ryo said absently as he knelt down and picked them up. “I wasn't watching where I was going. Sorry.”
“Oh that's--”
Ryo was already walking away, the file again precariously balanced in one hand. Erin scowled after him and Ted chuckled quietly.
“Give it up, man,” Ted said. “I'm telling you, you don't have a chance.”
“We'll see,” Erin said. “I like a challenge.”
Ted shook his head and shrugged. “Your life.”
 
“What the hell is all this anyway?” Dee grumbled irritably.
Drake shrugged, his hands locked behind his head. They were standing in the precinct's small gym, all decked out in work-out clothes; Chief's orders.
“Didn't you hear?” Ted said boredly. “Some guy over at the Bronx Precinct had a heart attack while he was running down a suspect, so the higher ups have some concerns about our physical prowess.”
“Dammit,” Dee roared. “They can't lump us in with those fat slobs!”
“Yeah!” Drake agreed. “We keep fit over here!”
“Definitely!” JJ yelled as he nodded his head.
“Good God,” Dee said as he shook his head. “The only one around here who really needs a work out is that fat walrus bastard.”
BAM!
Ryo sighed heavily as Dee slammed face first into the floor, Chief Smith standing irritably over him.
“You were saying?”
“What was that for?” Dee bellowed.
“Shut your mouth and start running,” the Chief growled. “Twenty laps. MacLean, Adams, show the new guy the shooting range and get some practice in.”
“Yes sir,” Ryo said.
“Hey, that's no fair!” Dee yelled. “Why are they excused?”
“Because Adams is injured and I bet Randy can run circles around your ass!” the Chief answered as he kicked Dee again. “Now move it you punks!”
“Son of a bitch,” Dee growled as he jogged off with the rest of the pack.
“I said run, you lazy bitches!” Smith commanded. “Now run!”
 
“I didn't know you were a sharpshooter,” Ryo said as they walked down the hallway, all three back in suits and ties.
“Yeah, it was one of the main reasons that my transfer was approved,” Erin said. “With Detective Adams on the injured list, they needed another shooter. So here I am.”
“You said approved,” JJ said as he brushed his hair back. “Did you actually want to come here?”
“Yeah,” Erin laughed. “I was working back West, but I didn't like the precinct I was in. Not much action. I thought New York would give me more of an opportunity to actually be a cop instead of a secretary. Although that prediction's not proving true.”
“If it makes you feel any better,” JJ said. “Practically everyone in our division's been shot at least once.”
Ryo chuckled and pushed open the door to the range.
“Here we are.”
“Nice,” Erin said. “Should we practice or just hang out?”
“That's a dumb question,” JJ said as he shook his head. “You're here with Detective MacLean, number one goody-goody. If we were told to practice, we're damn well going to practice.”
Ryo blushed and scowled at JJ. Erin frowned a little.
“Really?”
Ryo shrugged a little and the pale blush darkened some.
“I see,” Erin said and watched as Ryo checked his gun and carefully aimed. “I like guys who play by the rules.”
Ryo's eyes slid from the target to Erin and Erin grinned at him.
“I like it,” he said again. “It really suits you.”
JJ stared at him with disbelief and Ryo blinked a little.
“Um, thank you?”
Erin chuckled and drew his own gun. Fortunately, the blasting of the weapons was loud enough to drown out Ryo's confusion.