Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XI, New Faces and New Developments ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Cha, cha, cha, not Sanami Matoh, cha, cha, cha, not making any money, cha, cha, cha, lots of yaoi here…
Set after the last FAKE in Love Act. I really hope you can figure that out without me telling you every time. Tee hee.
 
“What the hell was that bastard thinking?” Dee moaned.
His hair was hanging around his face, still dripping from the cold shower he had taken at the end of their workout session. He ran a hand through it and shook his head.
“I can't believe they made us go through all that. You know, I could have been doing something useful with my time, like, I don't know, working maybe?”
Ryo laughed and they stepped out into the heat. Ryo winced and shielded his eyes as they looked up into the setting sun.
“Where did this heat wave come from?” Dee muttered. “Let's go, I feel like I'm dying.”
 
Instead of the expected and much anticipated blast of cold air, opening the door to the apartment building was like looking into a stove. Dee stepped back and Ryo frowned.
“What the hell is this?” Dee grumbled as they waded through the heat to the elevator.
“Attention all tenants,” Ryo read from the bulletin posted by the elevator. “The air conditioning system broke down this morning at…oh shit.”
Dee slumped and shook his head. “It figures. I thought they put in a brand new system last year.”
“They did,” a man grunted as he walked by, a suitcase in hand. “This place is falling apart. I'm going to a hotel, no one can sleep in this heat. They were supposed to have the damn thing fixed an hour ago, and still, nothing.”
Dee slumped and Ryo sighed heavily. The elevator ride was uncomfortable at best and hell at worse. The heat was baking into them, and Ryo shifted his weight back and forth as he tried to shake the discomfort of the wet air. The doors opened to a stifling hallway that eventually gave way to a furnace of an apartment.
“Bikky?” Ryo called.
“He opened the windows,” Dee said. “It's not doing much, but it's something.”
The note was stuck to the refrigerator, the usual place and Ryo nodded as he read it.
Too hot. Gone to Carol's. Be back tomorrow or when the AC is fixed. B.
“Smart kid,” Dee said as he reached around Ryo and pulled the freezer door open.
Both sighed with relief and leaned into the cool blast of air. Three minutes went by before Ryo pushed the door closed again and Dee groaned.
“I don't want to break it,” Ryo said.
“Yeah,” Dee said forlornly. “I get it.”
 
Dee sprawled across the bed, an irritable scowl on his face as he stared up at the ceiling. He was wearing a loose pair of boxers and had pointed two of the fans in the house directly at the bed. They weren't doing much good.
“I'm sore everywhere,” Dee said tiredly. “And this heat is killing me.”
“Poor Dee,” Ryo teased and sat down at the foot of the bed.
He kneaded his fingers into Dee's tense calves and Dee sighed with relief, the muscles relaxing under Ryo's smooth touch.
“You know just what to do,” Dee murmured.
“I hope this heat passes soon,” Ryo said.
They were silent a moment and Dee glanced at Ryo with a small frown.
“Can you really run circles around me?” he asked suddenly.
Ryo laughed and shrugged. “Probably.”
Dee scowled and his head dropped back onto the pillow.
“Maybe I should take up jogging,” Dee said. “Wake me up in the morning and I'll go with you.”
“Sure you will,” Ryo said wryly.
“What's that supposed to mean?”
“You say that about once a month and you never follow through.”
Dee's scowl darkened and he sighed.
“I don't like getting up early.”
Ryo smiled and collapsed onto the bed, his eyes closing as he spread himself flatly across the comforter. He was still damp from the cold shower he had taken, but the effect was already wearing off. Now it felt like the water still on his skin and in his hair was just heating and clinging to him. He was stripped down to a black pair of boxers, his skin glowing a little with sweat and a pale heat flush.
“You look hot, Sexy.”
“Of course I do,” Ryo said tiredly. “It's about five hundred degrees in here.”
“That's not what I meant,” Dee said, and the smile shifted in a smirk.
Dee was pleased to see that despite the heat Ryo could still blush a little darker.
“If only it wasn't so damn hot in here,” Dee murmured and brushed a lock of hair back from Ryo's face.
Ryo smiled. “Goodnight Dee.”
“Goodnight Ryo.”
 
Dee shivered.
His eyes slid open and he frowned in the darkness, his skin cold now as he lay on top of the blankets. Slowly his mind cleared and he climbed out of bed. He lit a cigarette as he walked, carefully closing every window. He paused in the living room to finish his cigarette and then headed back to bed. Ryo's arms were pulled up under his body now, a light frown on his face as he slept. He shivered and Dee smiled.
Dee shifted Ryo and pulled the blankets down, Ryo sighing and sinking down into the sheets. Dee pulled the blanket up over him and clambered back into the bed next to him. His hand traced down Ryo's skin, it was cool and inviting beneath his touch now. He pressed his palm to Ryo's lower back, a small smile on his face.
He was always pleased by how well his hand fit there. It was like Ryo's back had been made for his hand to rest there. Of course, there was no part of Ryo's body that didn't fit perfectly against his touch. Dee smiled and swiped his thumb across Ryo's spine. Ryo murmured and shifted closer to him, his body sliding up against Dee's.
“I love you Ryo,” Dee whispered softly.
 
Dee straightened his tie and smoothed his hand back through his hair. He gave Ryo a cocky grin.
“How do I look?”
“Very respectable,” Ryo said as he slid his glasses back into place.
Dee frowned and rested his hands on his hips.
“Aren't you supposed to say `sexy' or `hot'? Old men look respectable.”
“You're testifying today,” Ryo said. “Respectable is the look you should be going for.”
“Yeah I guess,” Dee said.
There was a quiet knock at their office door and Commissioner Rose stepped inside. His eyes slid over Dee and he frowned.
“That's a strange look for you,” Rose said. “Did you lose a bet?”
“I've got court today, you cheap bastard,” Dee growled. “What do you want anyway?”
“I came to check in with you and see if either of you'd come up with any other leads on Vones. And doesn't your partner usually handle the testimony? He certainly looks more trustworthy to me.”
Dee scowled. “He didn't work this case. He was out sick, so it's me or Ted.”
Rose paused, the small frown returning.
“Good choice,” he said finally. “Anyway, what's the word on Vones?”
“Nothing new,” Ryo said. “We've got people still going over everything, but we're not finding much.”
“Watch for the little things,” Rose said. “If they can nail Capone for taxes we should be able to find something on Vones.”
“Yes sir,” Ryo said.
“Yeah whatever,” Dee said distantly.
Rose glanced at him with annoyance but didn't say anything as he left. Dee sighed and stretched as he glanced at the clock.
“Whelp, I've gotta get going,” he said and brushed his hand down Ryo's neck as he walked by. “I'll see you after court.”
“Good luck.”
 
Dee had only been gone about fifteen minutes when there was another knock on the door and it slid open. Erin smiled in at him and Ryo glanced up from the computer.
“Hey Erin,” Ryo said. “What's up?”
“Not much,” the new detective said as he entered the office. “Wow, you guys have a nice office. Ted and I got screwed.”
Ryo chuckled a little. “Ted probably hasn't cleaned the place since his old partner retired. Pick up a bit and I think you'll find that they're all the same.”
“There is no way he could have that much useless stuff sitting around.”
Ryo glanced at Erin over the tops of his glasses and nodded. Erin frowned and shook his head.
“Damn. Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and see if maybe you wanted to grab some lunch today.”
“Well,” Ryo glanced at the clock and frowned.
Dee probably would just grab something to eat at his desk after court so he could tell Ryo all the details. A small chuckle escaped Ryo as he imagined it, Dee eating fast and bitching about lawyers and how long everything took in court. He sighed and shrugged finally.
“I might as well,” Ryo said. “I've got nothing else planned.”
 
“It's just so hard being the new guy sometimes,” Erin said, his voice sincere and his eyes locked with Ryo's.
Ryo nodded. “I know, but don't worry, it gets easier. You and Ted seem to get along fine and everyone else seems to like you too.”
Erin smiled but inside he was jumping for joy. Ryo seemed to be the comforting type and was going out of his way to make Erin feel better. Erin had to bite back on a grin; he wondered just how far the man would be willing to go.
The check showed up and Ryo snagged it. He gave Erin a small smile.
“Consider this your welcome to the precinct meal,” he said.
“Thanks,” Erin said. “But you'll have to let me return the favor. Maybe I could take you out to dinner sometime?”
A small frown darted across Ryo's face; why did it feel suddenly like Erin was trying to pick him up? He couldn't shake the feeling that his work life had just become more complicated again. He glanced back over at Erin.
“Er, no, that's fine, you don't need to worry about it.”
Erin slumped in his seat. Damn.
 
“I don't want to go!” Bikky wailed. “Can't I be sick today?”
“Bikky you haven't even been in school for two weeks,” Ryo said. “You can't be complaining about it already.”
“Why not?” Bikky grumbled. “Is there a law against that?”
“No,” Ryo said flatly. “Just a very annoyed father.”
“Ryo,” Dee poked his head into the dining room. “Call just came in. We've got to move.”
 
“So what exactly did they say?” Ryo asked as the rental car rolled smoothly down the street.
“Some guy from the Downstreet Gang just turned himself in. He says that they robbed a major bank last night and he's ready to confess all their other crimes for complete immunity. The rest of the gang has scattered, so guess what we get to do?”
Ryo frowned and leaned back in his seat. “Any ideas on where they scattered to?”
“We're just waiting for the call.”
 
“Ryo,” Dee said. “Even if you find him, I think this is a bad idea.”
“If these guys are running around by Bikky's school, I want him to know about it,” Ryo said firmly.
“Yeah, okay, but the kid's not stupid. If he hears you say Downstreet Gang you know what's going to happen.”
Ryo sighed. Bikky was a smart kid, but he was also a little reckless sometimes. He and Dee tried to be cautious about what they talked about in front of him, but both knew Bikky overheard more than his fair share of cop talk. And Bikky definitely knew about the connections between the Downstreet Gang, Vones, and Carol's abduction late last year.
“I won't say anything about them,” Ryo said. “I'll just tell him enough to hopefully get him to go home.”
“Alright fine. Now we just need to find the midget monkey.”
“There he is,” Ryo said as he pointed out the window. “Him and Carol.”
“Looks like we're interrupting a lover's quarrel.”
Dee pulled the car to a stop and leaned out the window with a grin.
“Hey there you lovebirds. Good to see the passion hasn't waned a bit between the two of you.”
“Dee,” Bikky said with surprise.
“Oh stop that Dee,” Ryo said as he climbed out of the car.
“Ryo.”
“Morning there Carol.”
“What's up?” Bikky asked as he stared at Dee. “Wasting the people's tax money as always, are we?”
“Why you little…” Dee growled and bit back on anything else; they needed to do this quick and if he got into a fight with the punk they'd be there too long. “And you're as pleasant as always too you little twerp.”
“Actually, we're here on business,” Ryo said seriously. “Seems a gang of bank robbers snuck into the area late last night after finishing up a major job. They're armed and dangerous, so we're patrolling the area. So no, we're not wasting any taxpayer money this time.”
“You'll probably get this at school too, but make sure you go straight home after school, all right?” Dee said.
“Sure, sure, whatever,” Bikky said absently.
“Bikky!” Ryo's voice was stern now. “We don't even know how many of them are out there or what they look like…just that they probably have no qualms about opening fire in the middle of the city. So just do me a favor today and go straight home. Got it?”
“Aye-aye, sir,” Bikky said.
“And Carol?” Ryo's voice became a little gentler, he was hoping that if he talked Carol into going to their place that Bikky would willingly follow.
“Yes, Ryo?”
“Your house is too long a walk from here and the streets are pretty empty, so why don't you come over to my house after school instead? I'll be a bit late, but I do plan on coming home tonight. It would just make me feel better to know you're safe.”
“Well…” Carol paused, her face darkening and then she grinned and shrugged. “I'll think about it, okay? See ya!”
She sprinted off and Ryo frowned.
“You two fighting or something?”
“It's not really like that but…” Bikky's voice faded and he shrugged.
“Yo, Ryo. We gotta move out. Something went down on 15th Street,” Dee said.
“Okay,” Ryo smiled at Bikky. “Make up with her, `kay? See ya later bud.”
Ryo climbed back into the car and they drove away, Ryo's eyes darting once to the mirror as he watched Bikky disappear behind them. He sighed and Dee shook his head.
“You think that did any good?”
“We'll see,” Ryo said flatly.
 
“We're not getting anywhere,” Dee grumbled as he glanced around. “These alleys are endless.”
They had spent the day patrolling the maze that ran through so much of New York. The place was deserted and dark now, and Ryo could feel frustration running through him.
“I know,” Ryo said softly. “Any clues?”
“Well there's…”
Dee's voice cut off in a strangled curse as he stumbled and staggered roughly into the alley wall. He grunted and shook his head.
“Shit,” he whispered. “We've got a body Ryo.”
Ryo glanced down at the corpse and pulled the radio from his side.
“Looks recent,” Dee said. “Damn recent.”
Dee fingered the blood a little and he listened absently as Ryo radioed in a report. In a few minutes the place would be swarming with cops and the noose around these punks would tighten a little more. Dee frown and a puzzled look darted across his face as he paced around the alley and then turned a couple of corners. He paused suddenly and crouched again, his face falling.
“Hey Ryo!”
“Dee? Where'd you go?”
“Over here,” Dee said. “I think you better see this.”
Bikky's skates lay in a glittering heap on the asphalt.
 
Of course everyone knows how this story ends. Ryo and Dee arrived just in time to rescue both Bikky and Carol from the last remnants of the Downstreet Gang, each being rewarded with a light kiss from the beautiful girl. She and Bikky then retreated to Ryo's house to make up and bury their little arguments.
What everyone doesn't know about is the extremely painful dread that filled Ryo when he picked up Bikky's discarded belongings. Or the sheer terror that dripped across both detectives when they finally caught a glimpse of Bikky's blonde hair bobbing into the fight. After that came a surge of adrenaline, a quick fight, and then blessed relief. And of course, as it so often did when Bikky was involved, irritation wasn't far behind.
Ryo sighed as he watched Carol and Bikky disappear from view, a slightly annoyed scowl on Dee's face as they vanished. Dee shook his head and leaned back against the wall, a cigarette hanging from his lip as he glanced down at the still bodies lying at their feet.
“Jesus,” Dee grunted. “That brat gets us into more trouble.”
“This is Detective MacLean,” Ryo said into his radio. “Where's our back-up?”
“Sorry sir,” a voice crackled back. “We got sidetracked. We found some kid in a dumpster.”
“Kid in a dumpster?” Dee said with a small frown.
 
The former gang member who had turned himself into the NYPD was sprawled in the interrogation room. He looked bored, unimpressed, and worst of all, smug. Detective Ryo MacLean stared at him flatly.
“I need you to go over your testimony again,” he said calmly.
“Why?” the guy said with a shrug. “I've told six of you guys the same thing and already signed my deal with the D.A. I'm done.”
“I just need to clarify a few details,” Ryo said. “It will just take us a couple of minutes.”
Dee stared in through the two-way glass, a scowl on his face. Something about this didn't feel right. Their helpful informant had been a little too willing to get his story out, and Dee had the distinct impression that something had been missed. Damn the Downstreet Gang for keeping them out on the street all day and away from the interview.
The guy shrugged finally and Ryo gave him a small apologetic smile.
“I just need to know a little about the hierarchy of the organization.”
“What hierarchy?” he said and shook his head. “We followed whoever was strongest, that's it.”
“Alright,” Ryo said. “And where did he get his orders from?”
“Made `em up, I guess.”
Ryo's mouth thinned. He had read all the reports and each statement that had been made, and Vones' name hadn't come up once. He had to risk it.
“And where does Terrance Vones figure into this equation?”
Dee hissed slightly and he held his breath.
“Vones?” the guy gave them that small smug smile again. “Who's that?”
 
“He'll be dead in a month,” Dee grumbled as they walked out of the station.
“Yeah, if that long,” Ryo agreed in a flat tone. “Vones had everything all plotted out. He got rid of Makkel, the other drug dealers, and all the people who did his dirty work. He's going to do it.”
“Fuck,” Dee snapped angrily and wrenched the car door open.
 
The apartment was quiet and peaceful as they entered, Dee still grumbling quietly and Ryo frowning tiredly.
“Where's the brat?” Dee asked. “I thought they'd come this way.”
Ryo glanced around and then poked his head through Bikky's open doorway. He chuckled quietly and Dee glanced over his shoulder. Bikky and Carol were curled up together in the bed, Bikky's arms holding lightly around Carol's waist. Ryo stepped back and gently closed the door.
“Are you sure about this?” Dee whispered.
Ryo paused and a small smile darted across his face as he thought about the sincerity in Bikky's voice.
“It's fine.”