Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XII, Costumes and Bait ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I'm not making any money off of this. This is yaoi. Set in the FAKE in Love timeline. So sleepy, too sleepy to be clever…
 
Dee sighed heavily as he watched Ryo enter the tall bookstore.
“No good can come from this,” he grumbled darkly.
Rose glanced over at him, but Dee continued to stare irritably at the storefront. Silence stretched out between them and Rose let his mind wander as they waited. He heard Dee sigh several times and he finally glanced over with an annoyed glare.
“Do you mind?”
“Mind what?” Dee snapped.
“Being quiet.”
Dee scowled at him and crossed his arms.
“It's your own damn fault,” he grunted. “You shouldn't have agreed to this.”
“And you should have talked him out of it,” Rose said as he leaned back in his seat. “I only gave him three chances, if you recall. This is night number two. It's pretty damn unlikely that Vones is keeping such a close watch on him, he won't show up and Ryo will be out of luck. Then you just have to stick to him and make sure nothing happens when I'm not around.”
Dee stared at him and then his scowl darkened.
“I don't care. I don't like this. Too many things could go wrong.”
“I know.”
They were silent again and Dee sighed once more, Rose's lips pursing as he turned to Dee again.
“What did you think about him?” Dee asked suddenly. “The first time you saw Ryo, what did he look like?”
“What?” Rose asked. “Why do you want to know that?”
“I'm making conversation,” Dee said wryly. “Just answer the damn question.”
“He looked…naïve, innocent…vulnerable.”
“That's what everyone thinks,” Dee said softly. “They look at him and…they don't see all of his strength or compassion or will, they just think he's some submissive fuck who'll roll over and spread his legs.”
Dee was grimly silent for a minute and then shook his head.
“I don't think Vones would be happy if he learned the truth.”
The quiet returned and was only broken by a sigh that issued from both of them.
 
Ryo thumbed through the books, boredly scanning a few titles as he glanced around the busy bookstore. A scattering of kids ran by, the words `Harry Potter' and `Half-blood Prince' echoing out behind them. Ryo chuckled. Now wouldn't it ruin their day if he mentioned how good the book was and then so and so did such and such. He couldn't help but chuckle again.
He turned and bumped into a broad shoulder, a startled grunt escaping him.
“Oh, excuse me.”
“No problem Detective.”
Ryo frowned and glanced up with surprise.
“Do we know each other?”
“No,” the muscular man looming over him said with a small smile. “But we have a mutual acquaintance that is most interested in seeing you.”
He opened his jacket slightly to reveal the butt of his handgun, a dark glint in his eye. Ryo blinked, his face a cool mask as he stared at the bear like face tilting towards him.
“Don't make a sound.”
 
“Oh come on Tim,” JJ chided. “Please? Just for one weekend?”
“No,” Tim said flatly.
“You're not even thinking about it.”
“Of course not.”
“Stiff.”
“Puppy.”
“What?” JJ asked with a frown.
“Nothing,” Tim answered as he smiled and shook his head.
“Hey,” JJ stared across the street. “There's Ryo.”
They paused and JJ's head tilted a little.
“What does that look like to you?” he asked finally, his voice low and serious.
“Like a man being led out by a thug with a gun,” Tim answered.
“Let's go.”
 
“What is this place?” Tim asked as the car they were following finally pulled to a halt.
“It looks like a mansion,” JJ said. “Oh shit, drive by, they're looking at us. Drive by, drive by!”
Tim glanced at him and then rolled the windows down.
“What are you doing?” JJ hissed.
“Learn to drive, jackass!” Tim bellowed as he leaned out the window and sped off.
JJ stared wide eyed at him and Tim gave him a patient glance.
“Little trick I picked up,” the FBI agent said with a shrug. “Now what Jemmy? Any luck with your phone?”
JJ shook his head grimly. What a time for his crappy cell phone to decide to go on the fritz.
“Maybe we should find a phone and call your precinct,” Tim said. “We know where they took him now.”
“No,” JJ said firmly. “We're going inside.”
 
Vones kept glancing back over his shoulder as he led Ryo through the large house, a small smiling playing across his face. Ryo glared silently back.
“Were you followed?” Vones asked finally.
“We shook some cops off in the city. There was some idiot trailing after us, but he took off. He's probably here to tour the neighborhood.”
“Good,” Vones said. “And did you scan him for electronics?”
“Just a cell phone,” one of the men said. “I threw it out of the car before we left the city.”
“Good, good,” Vones said.
They continued down the hall and Vones glanced over his shoulder again.
“You know, Randy, your grandfather told me all about you. He was quite surprised when he found out about you. To imagine, such a well bred boy doing such things,” he chuckled.
Ryo remained silent and Vones smiled again.
“Don't be so cold Randy.”
Ryo glared at him and Vones sighed as he opened a door and led them into a sprawling room.
“Sit down please. Tie him good and tight,” Vones watched as the men who had trailed after Ryo down the hall now began to bind him to the chair. “I heard you met Makkel's son. I also heard he jumped off a building. At least he finally did something with his life, even if it was just ending it. I told Makkel again and again, if he told that kid he was his father the kid would take from him for the rest of his life. Kids are nothing but parasites.”
Vones chuckled quietly and leaned closer, his eyes locking with Ryo's.
“Does that make you angry, Randy? It certainly makes your eyes light up.”
His hand slid out and gently brushed Ryo's hair back. His smile grew cool as Ryo pulled his head away. Vones chuckled and carefully pressed a strip of duck tape over Ryo's mouth.
Vones' voice dropped softly as he leaned closer, his breath tickling across Ryo's face. “I'm going to ride you until I break you.”
Ryo jerked back and Vones lightly ran his hand down Ryo's cheek.
“I'll be back soon.”
The door clicked shut behind him and Ryo struggled to calm himself down. He felt a sick revulsion and a bitter rage that kept bubbling in his stomach. We shook some cops… He had known all along what Vones wanted from him, but thinking about it when he was safe in his apartment with a loaded gun and locked door was very different from being unarmed and tied to a chair in a crazy man's house. He struggled with the ropes around his wrists, but they were tied too far up his arms for his fingers to reach. The chair was hard and ungiving, and he was amazed when he tried to rock it over and it remained stubbornly still. It was bolted to the floor.
He wanted to curse, to do something, but the damn duck tape was even preventing that. Ride you until I break you. A finger of panic darted through him and Ryo's eyes squinted shut as he struggled against the ropes.
Dee's coming, calm down.
Ryo tried to rein himself in, but fear kept welling up from deep within him. He was starting to think that maybe this was a bad idea.
 
“I don't think that's a good plan,” Tim said, his voice flat again.
“Then wait here,” JJ said flippantly and started to climb the fence.
“Jemmy! What are you doing? Get down from there!”
JJ dropped lightly to the other side and Tim cursed lowly as he quickly followed. They sprinted through the brush filled yard and pressed themselves against the brick walled house. JJ peered inside, his eyes widening as he peeked in.
“There he is,” JJ said. “Talk about luck.”
Tim leaned over JJ's shoulder and looked inside, watching as Ryo was carefully tied to a stiff backed chair. Terrance Vones was smiling down at him, Ryo glaring darkly back as a thick strap of duck tape was pressed over his mouth. And with that, they abandoned Ryo in the ornate room.
“Let's go,” JJ said and reached for the window.
Tim grabbed the cuff of his collar and pulled him sharply back.
“Tim!”
“Look,” Tim said sternly.
JJ's eyes followed Tim's hand and he scowled. An alarm, of course.
“Shit,” JJ breathed. “Now what?”
“We go back and find a phone,” Tim suggested dully.
JJ's scowl darkened and he leaned against the house as he thought. There must be something else. He sighed heavily.
“We'll just have to find another way in,” he said finally.
“Dammit Jemmy.”
 
Ryo tensed painfully as the door started to open and then he slumped against the ropes as Dee appeared. Dee glanced around the room and quickly shut the door behind him, hurrying to Ryo.
“Let's get out of here,” Dee said softly. “Damn these ropes are tight. Hold still.”
 
“This house is bigger than I thought it was,” JJ whispered.
“We could still go back,” Tim practically growled. “This is a bad idea JJ, why are we doing this?”
JJ was silent. Because Dee would do this. Because I would if it were Tim. Because I can't just ignore Ryo. And because I still… They crept further down the hallway and JJ paused suddenly.
“This is it, this is the door.”
“Are you sure this time?” Tim asked flatly.
JJ shot him an annoyed glance and then carefully opened the door. He peeked inside, Tim leaning close. Suddenly JJ threw the door open and Tim stumbled roughly forward behind him.
“Dee-senpai!”
Dee looked up, the ropes clutched in one hand as he untied Ryo, both detectives staring wide eyed.
“Ouch,” Tim said dully. “Jemmy, could you please learn some restraint?”
“What are you doing here?” Dee hissed angrily.
“What are you doing here?” JJ answered as he stormed into the room. “We were following Ryo.”
“Dammit JJ,” Dee muttered as he tugged the ropes free. “You're going to wreck everything. Now shut that door and be quiet.”
His hands paused and his eyes locked with Ryo's as he gripped the tape.
“This is going to hurt.”
Ryo nodded and Dee ripped the tape free. Ryo winced and shook his head, one hand rising to wipe at his mouth.
“Are you okay?” Dee asked.
“Fine,” Ryo answered.
“Good, now let's get out of here before Rose storms the place.”
“Rose?” JJ asked with a frown.
“Yes, Rose,” Dee snapped. “We set this whole thing up, we've been following Ryo around and waiting for Vones to make his move. Now we need to move our asses so Vones--”
The door clicked open again and Terrance Vones smiled coolly at them as he stepped into the room, his gun drawn and ready.
“Well, well,” he said softly. “Look what we have here. Drop your guns gentlemen. Now.”
Dee gritted his teeth, one hand resting lightly on Ryo's shoulder as he glared at Vones. Vones chuckled as their weapons dropped to the floor, dull thumps echoing in the room.
“Now, if you two would kindly step to the other side of the room.”
Tim and JJ moved slowly, both silently watching the gun that trailed their movements. Vones smiled happily.
“Now what were you gentlemen talking about before I arrived? It sounded something like you were expecting some back-up to come and rescue you. Is that right?”
His eyes locked on Ryo and he sighed as he shook his head.
“Pity. I was looking forward to getting to know you better Randy,” he smiled again. “Of course, there's nothing saying I can't. There are a million ways to slip out of this place undetected, all I need to do is make sure that your friends have something to distract them.”
His eyes skidded to Dee and the smile grew.
“And to make sure that you don't follow.”
The gun shifted through the air and Ryo's eyes widened.
“No, don't!”
Even as he yelled the gunshot echoed through the room, Dee jerking suddenly as he stumbled back. Ryo spun to him, his hands reaching out. Everything was moving so slowly.
JJ roared with anger and sprang forward, Tim desperately pushing him aside as the gun shifted and bellowed again. The FBI agent stepped forward and quickly grabbed Vones' wrist, snapping it roughly back as the gun clattered across the floor.
“Jemmy! The door! Barricade it!”
JJ glanced at him and then roughly slammed the door shut and flung a chair beneath the knob. Tim shoved Vones to his knees, easily pinning his hand behind his back.
“I think you should stay put now,” Tim said quietly.
Vones growled in his throat and Tim jerked his arm painfully. JJ's eyes skidded over him and then locked on one of the guns laying discarded on the floor. He scooped it up, his steps sure and quick as he stormed across the room and pressed the barrel against the man's forehead.
“You bastard,” JJ breathed. “You fucking bastard.”
“JJ stop!” Ryo yelled.
JJ's eyes remained locked on Vones, a few tears gathering in their corners. He had shot Dee. He had kidnapped Ryo. He had shot Dee. He had been behind so many brutal crimes. He had shot Dee. I still love him. He had shot Dee.
“Jemmy,” a voice said softly. “Jemmy.”
JJ stiffened, his gaze rising to meet Tim's. A gentle hand slid over JJ's.
“It's okay,” Tim said quietly. “It's okay Jemmy.”
JJ stared at him. Suddenly he thought about the first time he had met Tim. The bar had been full, busy, and JJ had stepped out to get a breath of air. He liked crowds, but there were times that he needed a break, like when the love of his life entered and happily smiled as he leaned close to the love of his life. JJ had breathed in the crisp air and then had spotted the tall figure leaning against the balcony railing.
Cold isn't it?
The chipperness in his voice wasn't phased by the cold or the throbbing pain in his heart. Tim had glanced over, almost boredly.
I suppose.
Then he had turned back to the city. JJ had stood next to him, surprised by how completely this man was dismissing his presence. It would obviously annoy the crap out of him if JJ stayed, and after being treated like that, JJ sure as hell was going to.
I'm JJ Adams.
Cool eyes skidded back to him, appraising him again.
Timothy Darrow.
In that instant, JJ knew that Tim had always been Timothy. That's all there was to it. He smiled as he leaned against the railing next to Tim.
I don't want to be here.
JJ wasn't even aware he was going to speak until the words tumbled out. He laughed suddenly and stared up at the sky, certain that he was about to drive Tim away. There was a heavy sigh and Tim slumped a little.
Neither do I.
God why did that matter so much to him? Why did those words mean so damn much? Yes, he loved Dee, but it was an aching distant love, something that was pulling away. Now there was Tim, and his love was different. His love was a crash in JJ's ears and a small smile that perfectly matched his own grin.
JJ blinked, the room shifting back into focus. Tim was still staring at him, such kindness and worry in his eyes as he gently touched more than JJ's hands. A stifled cry escaped JJ and he threw the gun aside before the dropped to the ground, leaning heavily against Tim.
“It's alright Jemmy,” Tim said softly. “It will be alright.”
“Jesus Christ,” Dee grunted as he sat up.
“D-Dee-senpai?” JJ choked out. “How?”
Dee smirked. “Bullet proof vest. You didn't think we'd come into this thing unprepared, did you?”
He winced then and scowled.
“I think he broke a rib.”
“OH MR. SEXY! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!”
JJ sprang across the room and tackled Dee.
“Dammit JJ! What did I just say about a broken rib!” Dee bellowed.
“I DON'T CARE! I WAS SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU!”
Ryo wrenched him off and helped Dee to sit slowly back up.
“Are you okay?”
Dee shook his head a little. “It hurts to breathe.”
“Stay still,” Ryo said softly. “Tim…”
Ryo's voice cut off and he frowned. Tim was panting heavily, his eyes blinking quickly. He was clutching at his side as he held Vones pinned to the floor.
“Are you okay?” Ryo asked.
“I think he managed to wing me,” Tim managed weakly.
“No,” JJ darted back across the room, gently pulling Tim close, forcing the FBI agent to lean against him. “Here, Tim. Let go, I've got him.”
The handcuffs clicked loudly and JJ lowered him to the floor.
“Hold still Tim, it's okay. Why didn't you say anything sooner?” JJ yelled suddenly. “You selfish ass.”
“Sorry,” Tim said flatly.
“Not as sorry as you're going to be,” JJ said. “You're staying with me, and I'm not letting you move a muscle until you're healed. You idiot. You're going to hate it.”
Tim stared at him and smiled slightly.
“I'm sure I will.”
 
Dee yawned and leaned back in his chair, their small office stuffy and cramped. Ryo was set to arrive any minute now. Their shift was split today; Ryo had to appear in court early that morning, so Dee would be forced to spend the last two hours of their shift without him. But until then, it was just him and Ryo.
His eyes skidded around the office and he sighed.
Him and Ryo and about two dozen mountains of paperwork.
“Hello Stud!” JJ yelled happily as the door burst open in front of him, Ryo trailing after him.
“Dammit JJ,” Dee said tiredly. “Do you mind not calling me things like that anymore? What does Tim think of it anyway?”
“It makes him jealous,” JJ said with a grin. “Some of us actually have to put in an effort to get that. It's not like I can just walk down a hallway and have men practically trying to jump me in broom closets.”
JJ stared at Ryo and the brown haired detective scowled back as a faint blush slid across his cheeks. It wasn't his damn fault. Nothing like this had ever happened to him before he came to work at the 27th. The place was cursed. Cursed and filled with men willing to ignore what society deemed `normal' sexual behavior. He sighed and sat down at his desk.
“That reminds me,” Dee said, a small frown darting into place. “I still need to have a little conversation with Richardson.”
“That's not necessary,” Ryo said boredly. “He already apologized. He was really drunk that night anyway, he says doesn't remember a thing.”
“And you believe him?”
Ryo hesitated. “Yes.”
JJ and Dee exchanged an amused glance.
Idiot.
Flake.
“How's Tim doing?” Ryo asked, deftly changing the subject.
JJ grinned happily.
“He's healing quite nicely,” JJ winked at Dee and then leaned close, his breath tickling over Dee's ear. “I can see why you went for the quiet type. It took a while for us to get there, but now that I've got him in bed all the time…damn.”
A hot blush swept over Dee's cheeks and he punched JJ roughly, shoving him back.
“Don't tell me things like that!” Dee yelled.
JJ chuckled and sat down on the edge of Dee's desk.
“So Mr. Sexy,” JJ said. “How're your ribs?”
“They're healing,” Dee said cautiously.
“They're healed,” Ryo said and sat down at his own desk. “They were never broken.”
“Hey,” Dee scowled. “It's my story. I can tell it how I want to.”
“Uh-huh.”
There was a quick rap at their door and Rose stepped inside.
“Bad news.”
 
Vones shook his head and irritably swallowed the shot of tequila.
“Son of a bitch.”
“I warned you,” Alicia said quietly. “I really warned you.”
“It doesn't matter,” Vones grumbled. “I'm setting everything up tonight. They're announcing my judge this afternoon, I'll put pressure on him for a favorable trial.”
He smirked slightly and Alicia sighed heavily.
“I don't think so.”
“What?”
“Look, this just isn't working out,” Alicia said. “Honestly, you're too unpredictable to keep around. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to dissolve our partnership. I suggest you get out of town.”
“Wa--”
“Consider yourself lucky,” Alicia said coldly. “I usually don't give this much leeway to the people who piss me off. If you're still here tomorrow I will kill you, and I'll make Makkel's death look like a damn picnic, do you understand?”
“This is a mistake Grant,” Vones growled. “You're starting a war.”
“I think you'll find that your position in this city has somewhat changed,” Alicia said. “You've proven yourself to be liability with a soft spot for pretty faces. No one wants an idiot in charge, they'll take a ruthless bitch any day of the week.”
Vones stared at her and realization suddenly sparked in his eyes.
“You knew,” he said lowly. “You knew what I'd do. You set me up.”
“No. I tested you. You failed me. I suggest you start running, you know cops, they don't take kindly to people who go after their own. New York is out of bounds for you now, and I mean the entire state. Set foot here again and I'll shoot it off. Understood?”
Vones growled low in his throat.
“You really are a ruthless bitch,” he snarled.
“Yes,” she answered flatly. “And I'll do whatever I need to to be on top.”
She smiled then, a sad empty smile.
“That's all I have left.”
Alicia stepped outside and sighed as she glanced up at the sky. The man at her side waited patiently and her instructions began as she climbed into a waiting car.
“Make sure everyone who matters knows what happened. I want the cops to know he skipped out on bail, so get the word out ASAP, understood?”
“Yes mam.”
Alicia sighed again and glanced out the window.
“I really thought I was done with all this.”