Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIV, Family and Forgiveness ❯ Chapter 6

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh. Not making a damn dime here. Yaoi involved kids. Set in the FAKE in Love Timeline…as if that wasn't obvious by now.
 
“That little punk,” Dee grumbled as he climbed into bed.
Ryo chuckled quietly, but quickly quashed the sound as Dee shot him an annoyed glare.
“It was an honest mistake,” Ryo said. “Come on, he goes to school and tells everyone how his Dad invited Dee along on their vacation, or how his Dad let Dee move in with them, or how he's always fighting with Dee and his Dad has to referee. People just jump to the conclusion that `his Dad' must be dating a woman. And come on, Dee could be short for just about anything, Debbie, Deanna, maybe Diana…”
Dee's scowl darkened and he flicked the light off.
“That stupid brat,” Dee muttered and Ryo sighed to mask another laugh.
“Come on Mom, let's get some sleep.”
“You son of a bitch!”
Dee attacked, his hands sliding up under Ryo's pajama top, his lips clamping hungrily on Ryo's neck as Ryo burst out laughing again.
“You think you're so funny,” Dee growled and began to lightly run his hands up and down Ryo's body.
Ryo began to laugh, his whole body shaking with it as Dee tickled him.
“Dee…Dee…”
“What Ryo?” Dee asked as he began to blow soft breath over Ryo's sensitive neck.
“I…can't breathe…Don't…Stop!”
“Wait, did you just say don't stop?”
“No!”
“So, no don't stop?”
“Stop…I can't…can't breathe!”
“Say the magic word.”
“NOW!”
“That's not a very polite magic word.”
“Now…mom!”
Ryo burst out into another peal of loud laughter, Dee growling in his throat as he tackled Ryo and wrapped his arms firmly around his partner. His head rested on Ryo's chest, shaking as Ryo's laughter slowly faded away. Dee sighed and Ryo's fingers began to gently play through his hair.
“I'm not his mom,” Dee said suddenly.
“No,” Ryo agreed and then smiled. “You're his other dad.”
Dee smiled and chuckled against Ryo.
“Why does something like that make me so happy?”
Ryo was silent and then laughed quietly, Dee glancing up with an annoyed expression.
“If you say anything…” Dee warned.
“No, no,” Ryo said, his hand sliding through Dee's hair again. “I just remembered we're supposed to stay up all night. Remember? Two weeks of overnights left.”
“Shit,” Dee grumbled. “We worked yesterday. Let's be sick tomorrow.”
“Lazy bum.”
“Tight ass.”
Ryo chuckled quietly and his fingers slid down to pet over Dee's neck.
“Are you trying to pick a fight with me Dee Laytner?”
Dee began to lightly kiss across Ryo's chest, his lips rubbing in slow teases through the thin pajama top.
“Only if I get to make up with you afterwards.”
“I suppose I wouldn't mind that,” Ryo murmured as Dee's hand slid down to his thigh and began to lightly caress.
“You sure?” Dee breathed, his lips continuing their slow tortuous play over Ryo's clothing.
Ryo pressed into Dee, his hands pulling Dee to him, holding him close.
“Absolutely sure,” Ryo answered.
Dee's tongue drug up towards Ryo's nipple, the fabric heating beneath the warmth of Dee's breath. Ryo moaned loudly as Dee's teeth clamped down, softly muted by his pajamas.
“Good,” Dee whispered as his lips parted. “I've got all night to make up.”
“Good,” Ryo agreed, his voice distant and breathy.
“Very good,” Dee said huskily and pressed his lips back to Ryo's chest.
The doorbell rang.
Dee growled angrily, his arms tightening around Ryo.
“Whoever it is, they're too late. We're not open for business, I don't care!”
“Dee…”
“No,” Dee said firmly. “Not happening, not tonight.”
The doorbell rang again and they heard Bikky's door slam open.
“Don't get up guys,” Bikky yelled sarcastically. “I'll get it!”
“You stay away from that goddamned door!” Dee yelled. “We're not home!”
“Keep yelling and they'll totally believe it!” Bikky answered as he passed their door.
“Shit,” Dee breathed. “If it's Rose I'm going to kill him.”
Ryo chuckled.
“I'm serious,” Dee said. “I will kill him. I will take out my gun and shoot him.”
Ryo sighed and pushed Dee back.
“Come on, let's go see who it is.”
“They're not here!” Bikky yelled angrily. “Get out!”
Dee and Ryo exchanged a surprised look and both scrambled out of the bed, Dee quickly wrenching the bedroom door open. Claire Klarks practically ran into him.
“What are you doing here?” Dee snapped as he shoved her back.
“It's…it's…”
She panted heavily, one hand clutching at his shirt as she tried to catch her breath.
“It's Mother…”
Dee's eyes widened and he grabbed her shoulders, shaking her sharply as he glared down at her.
“What did you say?”
“Mother,” Claire panted. “She's been hurt…hospital…she asked for you.”
Dee's mouth hung open and his breath caught painfully in his chest.
“Oh my God,” he whispered and darted back into the room.
Ryo followed him, the door slamming shut as both frantically changed back into street clothes and yanked on shoes. Dee threw the door open and practically sprinted out of the apartment, Ryo and Claire caught up in his wake.
“Go to bed,” Ryo called to Bikky. “I'll call when we know something.”
Bikky stared at the door as it slammed shut and then snorted softly.
“Yeah right,” he muttered as he flipped the TV on. “Like I could sleep at a time like this.”
 
“It's nothing,” Mother Maria insisted as she batted at Dee's hands. “I just slid on the ice, that's all.”
“What were you doing outside this late anyway?” he demanded. “You're not exactly in a friendly neighborhood.”
“I'm not going to hide inside from the dark Dee Laytner,” she said sternly. “What do you think I am? Some defenseless old woman?”
Dee stared at her and then pulled her into a tight hug, a look of surprise on her face.
“You're my mother,” he said softly.
“Dee…”
She smiled then and hugged him back, her hand running up and down his back in a gentle rhythm.
“It's alright,” she said quietly. “I'm fine. I just sprained my wrist, that's all.”
“I'm sorry,” Dee said, still holding her. “I…I just got so…I didn't want the last thing I said to you to be silence.”
Mother Lane's eyes closed for a moment and she hugged him again.
“I'm sorry Dee,” she said gently. “I didn't know, and I should have spoken to you first. And I'm sorry I worried you too.”
“You should be,” Dee said as he sat back up and gave her a half frown. “Look, I know penguins like ice, but this--”
His voice was cut off as she grabbed his cheek and yanked him down, an irritated glint in her eyes.
“Just what are you trying to say?” she growled.
There was a quick knock and then the hospital room door opened as Ryo stepped inside. He glanced between the two of them and then shrugged.
“Looks like everything's back to normal in here.”
“Ah Ryo,” Mother said as she released Dee. “Nice to see you again.”
“They're going to release you,” Ryo said as he kissed her forehead. “Dee and I will give you a ride home. I just need to call Bikky. Dee…”
Ryo hesitated then, a slight frown on his face and then he sighed and spoke again.
“Dee, Claire is waiting outside. She said she'd wait around for a while, but she'd leave in ten minutes if you didn't want to see her.”
Dee stared blankly back and looked away.
“That's fine,” he muttered. “I don't want to see her anyway.”
 
The apartment door opened quickly and Dee and Ryo entered, both silent and trapped in their own thoughts. Ryo smiled slightly as he heard the sound of the TV and headed into the living room, gently waking Bikky and sending him back to bed. Dee went to the kitchen and began to brew a pot of coffee, his eyes distant and blank.
“Dee?” Ryo said cautiously.
Dee sighed heavily. “No.”
Ryo's mouth thinned and he leaned against the counter.
“Just think about it,” Ryo said softly.
“I have thought about it,” Dee snapped. “I don't want to see her. I don't care.”
Dee stared at the coffee pot and sighed heavily. Why was he mad at Ryo? This was stupid. There was no reason for him to lash out like that.
“Alright,” Ryo said, his voice still quiet.
Dee's arms snaked out around him, pulling him close as Dee leaned into Ryo and shook his head.
“I'm sorry,” Dee murmured. “I'm not mad at you. I don't like this Ryo. I don't like feeling like this.”
Ryo's arms tightened around him and Dee burrowed his face against the crook of Ryo's neck. He felt like he was out of control. He hated that, he hated feeling like there was nothing he could do. He felt Ryo sigh lightly and then his partner's hand slid down his back.
“Let's go to bed,” Ryo said softly. “I'm tired.”
“But…”
“It's late enough,” Ryo insisted. “I want to sleep.”
Dee smiled and nodded. “Alright.”
 
Dee wrapped himself around Ryo and felt a wonderful peace slide through him as Ryo's arms pulled around him. They lay curled up tightly together, both still awake as dawn peeked over the horizon and day began. Dee's arms tightened for an instant.
“I love you,” he whispered.
“I love you too,” Ryo answered.
“I thought you were asleep.”
“Not yet.”
Dee sighed and kissed Ryo's neck.
“I love you so much.”
Ryo smiled and lightly hugged Dee.
“I love you more than anything,” he murmured.
Silence stretched out between them, and Dee slowly felt Ryo's breathing soften and even out as his partner finally fell asleep. Dee smiled and listened to the gentle sounds of Ryo as he drifted away.
 
“It's too slow around here,” Dee complained. “We're supposed to be investigating a serial killer and all we're doing is sitting around throwing out files.”
“Well if you didn't just pile everything up until it was ready to start toppling to the floor we wouldn't have to waste all this time putting things away,” Ryo said.
Dee growled low in his throat and Ryo shot him an amused glance. The sound faded quickly and Dee sighed as he went back to sorting through the paperwork that covered practically ever surface of their office. It was true, he was responsible for keeping most of this stuff. Dammit, it was just hard to know what to hold on to and what to throw away.
“Tim should be here soon,” Ryo said. “He went back to interview that contact after I took you to the hospital. We'll see where we go after that.”
“He should have called us yesterday to let us know what happened,” Dee grumbled.
“On our day off?”
Dee's mouth thinned. “No, but…still…”
“If it had been important he would have called,” Ryo said distantly as he continued to sort.
“In these kinds of investigations everything's important,” Dee said solemnly.
Ryo glanced up in surprise and Dee grinned at him.
“Did I sound like a TV detective or what?”
Ryo chuckled and shook his head.
“You're such a--”
The door burst open and JJ sprang into the room.
“Dee-senpai!”
“Ack!”
JJ pounced onto the desk and grinned at Dee.
“I heard you went to the hospital again!” JJ said. “Are you alright, you stud?”
“Fine,” Dee said warily, staring at JJ.
“Sorry Mr. Sexy,” JJ said with a sigh. “Look but don't touch. Tim's too important.”
“Good to know,” Dee chuckled.
JJ shifted and pulled one of the files out from under him.
“What's this?”
Suddenly the entire pile he was sprawled across spread out, sliding hard until JJ toppled into Dee and both collapsed on the floor.
“Ouch,” JJ said as he rubbed at his head.
“Get off!” Dee bellowed. “Now!”
Tim should be here soon…
No, it couldn't happen. There is not that much bad luck in the world that he…
The door opened and Tim Darrow stared in at them. Dee's eyes widened and JJ looked suddenly panic stricken. Ryo flinched and clutched at his desk. Dee shoved JJ off and leapt to his feet, practically ripping the office apart to grab Ryo and pull him back.
“No,” Dee said firmly. “No.”
Tim stared at him for a moment, a completely defeated look on his face and then his head turned towards JJ. He didn't look at the detective once.
“If you'll excuse us, Detective Adams, we've got a case to discuss.”
JJ blinked in surprise. “Tim? Wait…”
“If you both will follow me,” Tim said flatly as he turned and left the room.
Dee and Ryo both looked over at JJ but followed Tim without a word, the short sharpshooter suddenly looking completely drained. He watched the door close behind them and then closed his eyes and cursed himself.
 
“The witness has identified one of the suspects that had been held for an earlier homicide in Vermont,” Tim said, his voice completely emotionless. “We've got an APB out on him now, but so far no luck.”
He handed them a rap-sheet and a large photo of a slightly balding man, a long scar running down his cheek.
“Pretty strong identifying markers,” Dee said. “He shouldn't be too hard to pick up.”
“I hope you're right,” Tim said. “The FBI will be orchestrating a search, but we expect the full cooperation of the NYPD. That's where you two come in. You'll be directing officers from the surrounding precincts.”
“What?” Dee said. “We're on office duty? Screw that, put us out in the streets.”
“You're the most qualified,” Tim said. “You have the most experience with this case, so you need to start identifying possible hideouts and escape routes that our killer might use. You'll find his statements in that folder, compare them with the profile that we wrote up. If you get any leads, call me.”
“Of course,” Ryo said and then glanced over at Dee. “Tim, before, really, JJ didn't--”
Tim seemed to stiffen for a moment but then simply adjusted his glasses and retrieved his briefcase.
“It doesn't matter,” he said simply and left.