Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIX, Goodnights and Goodbyes ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warning and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I do not own FAKE. I am making no money off of this. Please sue me, I would really enjoy the chance to laugh in your face as I offer up the three pennies that I own outright. Fool.
 
 
“This is McArthurs, and that's Danburry, and Peters is out at a meeting right now with Perry.”
Dee and Ryo both exchanged handshakes with the police officers in front of them.
“You're sharing these desks over here,” the section captain Danvers said. “We've got some files for you to review and then we'll have a general staff meeting tomorrow morning. It'll give everyone a chance to touch base and start figuring out just where we want to go next. We're broken into three teams. Second shift comes in when you guys get off and our third group is currently engaged in deep cover with the Feds, so don't expect to meet them anytime soon. I split my time between the shifts, but if you need anything, come and see me. We'll start seriously rotating our new guys in next month, by then we should have you guys worked in and we'll know just where we need more help. Welcome to the team.”
“Thank you, sir,” Ryo said.
“Desk work,” Dee muttered. “That's just great.”
“Get used to it,” Danvers said with a smile. “Rose tells me it's one of your strengths and we're backed up.”
 
“So we've got three major crime organizations currently operating in the city,” Danvers said. “Scazzoli, Varnoff, and Grant.”
“We've got ID's on the upper echelons of Scazzoli and Varnoff, but we haven't been able to positively confirm anyone in the Grant family for years,” McArthurs said, her feet propped up on her desk. “It's amazing how tight lipped everyone is and how damned easily they spot anyone we try and get in.”
“Alicia's a smart woman,” Dee murmured.
Danburry, a big man with food permanently in his hand, snorted and shook his head.
“We can't even confirm that she's involved,” he said gruffly. “No one can link her to anything.”
“Oh she's involved,” Dee said.
“If she's not running things, she's very well connected,” Ryo added. “We might want to consider putting her under surveillance. If nothing else, it's a chance to get some hits on just who she has contact with.”
“Then we can compare that to our suspect list and see who doubles up,” Danvers said. “Good point.”
“So what do we want to do about Scazzoli and Varnoff?” Danburry asked.
A faint smile passed over Danvers' lips and he leaned back in his chair.
“Let's send them a message.”
 
Dee collapsed into the bed and shook his head.
“I swear to god I actually miss doing paperwork.”
Ryo laughed and climbed up onto the bed next to him, the brunette head quickly resting on Dee's chest as both closed their eyes.
“We've been busy,” Ryo agreed.
“Yeah.”
The last three weeks had been spent basically dogging the three organizations targeted by Danvers' unit. There had been stake outs, arrests, seizures of goods, and more late nights than Dee could keep track of. And despite everything, he wondered if they were even making a difference.
 
“We're seeing results,” Berkeley Rose said, his eyes seeming to pierce into the camera pointed at him. “And we're sending a message that extends past our city. New York isn't a home for crime. If you bring illegal business here, we will catch you. This is not an idle threat. We'll continue to work, and New Yorkers can rest easier knowing that.”
 
“That arrogant prick.”
Alicia Grant smiled slightly and shook her head as the man next to her growled in his throat.
“He's just doing his job,” she said boredly.
The camera panned over Rose shaking a few hands and then flipped to an anchorman. A quiet chuckle escaped Alicia and she sighed quietly.
“Well, we've gotten his message…maybe it's time we sent him one of our own.”
 
“Dad!”
Ryo paused at the stove.
“What?”
“Have you seen my sneakers?”
For a split second, the past seemed to well up and Ryo heard his own voice yelling that question. Before he knew it, his father's words were tumbling out of his mouth.
“Well, the last time I wore them, I put them away.”
There was a muffled answer that was probably a curse, but it just made Ryo chuckle. Dee's arm hooked around him, and the dark haired man pressed a light kiss to Ryo's neck.
“What are you cooking?”
“Stir fry,” Ryo answered.
“Is the monkey hanging around for dinner?”
“When he hears that it's stir fry he probably will.”
“Let's tell him it's cabbage,” Dee said, another kiss scraping over Ryo's neck. “With something else that he really hates.”
“And why would we want to do something like that?” Ryo asked innocently.
Dee chuckled and his tongue lathed over Ryo's pulse.
“Do you really want me to tell you?”
“Maybe.”
“Get off my dad!” Bikky bellowed as he slammed into Dee.
“Ack!”
Dee staggered back and tangled his fingers in Bikky's shirt. The two of them stumbled to the floor and immediately attacked.
“You old pervert!”
“Monkey faced shrimp!”
“Hey, hey,” Ryo said, narrowly stepping out of their path. “The stove is on. Take this into another room.”
Bikky wormed to his feet and shot out of the room, Dee hot on his heels.
“You're going to get it now, you midget primate!”
Ryo chuckled and turned the stove up a little higher. He listened to the sounds of the two scuffling and paused when the phone rang.
“Dee? Can you get that?”
“Let go, you little freak, you heard Ryo. I need to get the phone.”
“Fine, fine.”
There was a quiet moment and the phone continued to ring.
“OW!” Bikky yelled. “That's cheating, you pug faced creep! I let you up and you hit me for it?”
“That's what you get for letting your guard down…ah, ah, ah, I'm on the phone now.”
“You jackass.”
“Bikky,” Ryo warned.
Bikky grunted and padded into the kitchen.
“He's a big cheater,” Bikky said.
“I know,” Ryo answered with a laugh. “Set the table, please.”
“Yeah, yeah.”
Dee's voice was a soft murmur now, and Ryo paused again. Something suddenly felt wrong. There was something in Dee's voice. Dee appeared in the doorway, the phone clutched in one hand.
“You better turn that off, Ryo,” Dee said quietly. “There's something on the TV.”
Ryo flipped the stove off and then followed Dee into the living room, absently rubbing his hands on his jeans as he frowned.
“What channel?”
Dee winced and shook his head.
“I don't think it matters.”
A sudden spike of wariness rushed through Ryo and he flipped the screen on. The news immediately flashed at them, Ryo sitting down on the arm of the couch as he watched.
“We're watching it now, JJ,” Dee said. “I'll call you back.”
He joined Ryo, absently threading his fingers with his lover's as he sat down. Both watched silently, Bikky moving to peer over their shoulders.
“Breaking news tonight…”
The camera flashed over a scene that was dominated by police cars and spotlights, several officers moving grim faced past them.
“Tragedy strikes the New York Police Department…”
Dee's hand tightened around Ryo's.
“As one officer is killed in the line of duty…”
“That's our backyard,” Dee murmured. “That the 27th's beat.”
“Gunned down after responding to a woman's call for help…”
“Who was it?” Ryo whispered.
“JJ didn't know,” Dee answered. “They haven't released a name yet.”
“Witnesses say the officer and his partner went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the safety…”
Ryo's breath caught as a familiar face was suddenly splayed across the screen.
“Oh my God.”