Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIX, Goodnights and Goodbyes ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warning and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I do not own FAKE. I am making no money off of this. Please sue me, I would really enjoy the chance to laugh in your face as I offer up the three pennies that I own outright. Fool.
 
 
Dee whistled as he boredly spun back and forth in his chair, a file flipped open and lonely on his desk as he ignored it. Ryo would be back any minute and he'd have to get back to work, but for the moment, he could slack off just a little. He leaned back in his chair and stared up at the ceiling. They'd probably need to have their office painted sometime in the next year or so. His eyes slid down to wander over the full file cabinets and sagging bookshelves. Boy would that be a fun job. He'd just need to figure out some way for he and Ryo to miss out on all the moving.
The door clacked open and Ryo gave him an absent smile as he strolled in. He had a folder open in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
“Where's mine?” Dee asked.
“Back in the pot waiting for you to pour it,” Ryo answered. “Are you finished with that file yet?”
Dee grinned guiltily.
“Almost,” he said.
Ryo glanced at him with a slightly annoyed look, but it faded with the same acceptance that it always did. Dee would finish, he always did, and while Ryo was the one who did most of the paperwork, he never felt like Dee was abandoning him to it. The brown haired detective sat down at his desk and flipped on their computer.
“Rose sent out an e-mail,” Ryo said.
“Oooo,” Dee muttered and made a point of staring at the case in front of him. “What's the ass want now?”
“The city's getting ready to announce a new tougher stance on organized crime,” Ryo read flatly. “They're going to start diverting more funds towards capturing and convicting known bosses.”
“Oh is that what we're supposed to be doing with them?” Dee said dryly.
“Rose is attending a press conference tomorrow to show the NYPD's support and commitment.”
“Everybody will forget about it in a month and a half,” Dee said sagely.
“He wants us there.”
Dee shook his head.
“Tell him we're busy.”
“The two of you have obviously been spending too much time together, because, and I quote here; `tell Laytner that I have personally cleared your schedule and you are not too busy to go. Don't even let that lazy ass think about getting out of this; you are both going,' end quote.”
Dee cursed quietly and kicked his desk.
“I really hate that guy.”
 
Rose looked distinguished and professional as he stood at the mayor's side. He cut a nice profile, and the stern glint of his eyes and commanding nature gave an air of authority to his presence. The mayor read through his prepared statement and then he and Rose shook hands. An FBI representative as well as officials from the ATF, State Police, and a quiet man from the CIA all filled out the rest of the short presentation. Dee and Ryo stood silently in the back of the room and tried to keep from looking overly bored.
“Like I said, a month and a half,” Dee murmured.
“Well, let's hope that they make good use of that month and a half to get us some real long term funding,” Ryo answered in the same soft voice.
“We're NYPD,” Dee said. “U is the silent letter there; under funded.”
Ryo snorted quietly and shook his head.
“You ever get the feeling that we're turning into those old jaded cops who think that the world is always going to be a horrible place?”
“I am not old,” Dee answered.
Ryo smiled and gave Dee a quick wink.
“We'll ask Bikky when we get home.”
“He's got a paper due next Wednesday,” Dee pointed out. “Don't let him forget.”
Ryo chuckled as a few more cameras flashed and some questions were called out. Dee kept an eye on Bikky, but he left it up to Ryo to keep the boy completely in line.
“It's on his calendar,” Ryo said. “He won't forget.”
Dee nodded with satisfaction and Ryo couldn't help chuckle quietly. Dee didn't have the kind of record that let him ride Bikky about his school work, but more and more often he was very vocal behind the scenes.
“What?” Dee asked.
“Just thinking about what a great dad you are,” Ryo said.
Dee scowled and blushed and Ryo chuckled again.
“Detectives?”
Ryo and Dee both stood up straighter at the sound of Rose's voice, a stern edge to it that sent them both into professional mode. Dee silently cursed; how did the bastard do it?
“Did you enjoy the press conference?”
“It was very informative, sir,” Ryo said carefully.
Rose's smile curved in an amused line.
“Let's step outside,” the commissioner suggested.
Soon the bustle and noise of the busy little room was far behind them, and the three men stood in the early sunshine of spring. Dee glanced up at the sky and enjoyed the brisk feel in the air. They wouldn't have much longer before summer started and the heat came rolling back in.
“Now let's talk,” Rose said.
Dee and Ryo exchanged a glance and both knew from the other's look that neither had any idea just what in the hell was going on.
“It was a typical press conference, sir,” Ryo said.
“Smoke and bullshit,” Dee agreed and lit a cigarette.
“But you got the gist of it, right?” Rose asked, his arms folded over his chest.
“More funding for the organized crime unit,” Ryo said. “That's good news for them, but…”
His words faded and he shrugged slightly.
“Where's the money coming from?” Dee asked flatly.
“From the Criminal Investigations Unit,” Rose said.
“What?” Dee snapped. “We're under funded enough as it is! What the fuck were you thinking?”
“Calm down,” Rose said, his smile amused in a way that told Ryo that the commissioner had long been playing this scene in his mind and wasn't disappointed by reality. “It's an acceptable cut.”
Dee let out a long annoyed puff of smoke and shook his head.
“And just how much did you sign over to them, you dick?”
Rose chuckled and his eyes narrowed behind his thin framed glasses.
“Just enough to cover the salaries of two detectives.”
Dee's eye twitched slightly and Ryo stiffened.
“So this means one of two things,” Dee said flatly.
“Either you're transferring us,” Ryo said.
“Or we're fired,” Dee finished.
“Congratulations,” Rose said. “You still have jobs. And it's detective work like that that's getting you bumped over to Organized Crime. It's temporary. Two months at the most until they can train in a couple of new hires. Then CI gets you back, and our own funding is increased. The two of you have a lot of experience dealing with New York's mob scene, so you seemed like a good choice to fill in for a while. But don't expect to be their paid consultants.”
Rose's smile grew darker and he stared at Dee, openly relishing the next piece of news.
“You'll probably be spending a lot of time doing paperwork.”
 
Dee practically threw his stapler into the document box.
“Lousy son of a bitch,” he muttered.
Ryo glanced up from the disks he was labeling.
“What are you doing?”
“Packing,” Dee answered irritably.
“You don't think they have staplers in Organized Crime?”
“If they're willing to take us on for two months, I doubt they have much of anything.”
Ryo burst out laughing.
“Hey, we're famous around here,” Ryo said.
“Infamous, Ryo,” Dee corrected. “We're infamous. And I bet we're going to have so much damned fun with Organized Crime.”
“Optimist,” Ryo teased.
Suddenly their door burst open and JJ Adams blurred inside. He slammed into Dee's desk and sent the box that the detective had been packing flying. Papers and office supplies skittered across the floor and an angry roar escaped Dee.
“JJ, what the hell?” Dee yelled.
“Is it true?” JJ sobbed. “Did you really get fired?”
Dee frowned and shook his head.
“No,” he said flatly. “I didn't get fired.”
“Really?” JJ said, his eyes wide. “I heard that they finally got fed up with all your back talk and slacking off and coming in late and messy paperwork and--”
“Shut up,” Dee growled.
Ryo laughed and tucked a few case notes into his own document box.
“We're not fired, JJ,” Ryo said. “We've just been transferred for a while so Organized Crime can train in a couple of new people.”
“Yeah, I saw the conference,” JJ said. “Organized Crime seems to be the new…what was the last big crime scene?”
“Drugs,” Dee muttered.
“I thought it was gangs?” Ryo said with a frown.
“That was at least two fads ago,” Dee said as he began to scoop up the mess on the floor.
Ryo sighed and shook his head.
“What a wonderful world.”
 
“I still don't see why we couldn't keep our office,” Dee grumbled as they rode the elevator down.
“Would you really want to have to ride up and down three floors every time we needed something?” Ryo asked.
“Rose had better not give away our desks while we're gone.”
“No kidding,” Ryo muttered. “Dammit, Dee, you're putting me in a bad mood.”
Dee grinned. “Good.”
Ryo shook his head and a smile twitched on his lips.
“What do you want for dinner tonight?”
“Food.”
“You goddamned--”
The elevator doors slid open and both quieted as a few officers stepped inside. Dee nonchalantly leaned against the wall, his box of supplies propped under one arm and his eyes glinting at Ryo. He pulled a cigarette from his pocket and Ryo's head cocked to one side. A faint smirk passed over Dee's lips and then he slowly lifted the cigarette to his mouth. His tongue darted out and lightly circled the end of the cigarette.
Ryo's eyes widened and a pale blush fanned over his cheeks. Dee's smirk darkened and he pressed the unlit cigarette between his lips. His cheeks hollowed as he took a long deep suck at it and leaned back with a satisfied glint in his eyes.
“I really love cigarettes,” Dee said suddenly.
Ryo burst out laughing and everyone in the elevator glanced between them.
“The two of you are insane,” one of the uniforms grumbled.