Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIX, Goodnights and Goodbyes ❯ Chapter 6

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warning and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I do not own FAKE. I am making no money off of this. Please sue me, I would really enjoy the chance to laugh in your face as I offer up the three pennies that I own outright. Fool.
 
 
It was raining when they carried her out of the church. The whole city seemed to have turned out to pay their respects. Every uniform was starched and the rain hung over fields of dark blues in glistening droplets. Ryo and Dee stood side by side, their eyes red and gloves raised in a final salute. God, it was too soon.
Rose did not give the eulogy.
He was almost catatonic through it all, Diana at his side to guide him as they gathered around the casket. Dirt scattered over the coffin, and for an instant it looked as if he might break down, but he just trembled a moment and then walked away. He didn't look back once.
“I'm very sorry about your loss,” the mayor murmured.
Rose just stared at him.
“Sir?” Ryo said quietly. “Let's go.”
Rose blinked thickly and stared at the gloved hand that rested on his shoulder. Diana gently gripped Rose's arm and led him back to the long line of dark cars. Dee and Ryo followed behind them, the FBI agent murmuring quiet words as they walked.
“Get in, Berkeley,” Diana coaxed.
Rose stared at the car for a moment and then climbed inside, Diana softly shutting the door behind him.
“I'll make sure he gets home,” Diana said.
Ryo nodded and Dee stared at the flat black of the reflective window.
“Is it okay for you to be away from home right now?” Dee asked.
“Drake's fine with the baby,” Diana said and laughed abruptly, a few tears gathering in her eyes. “I think he's glad to have her all to himself.”
Ryo pulled her into his arms and she let him hug her for a moment before she pulled away and wiped her eyes clear.
“Thanks,” she said. “I'm fine. I'll stay with Berkeley tonight.”
“Alright,” Ryo said. “Call us if you need anything.”
“You've got both our numbers, right?” Dee asked.
“I do,” Diana said and smiled at them both. “Thank you both.”
 
Ryo dropped unceremoniously to the couch, his eyes blank as he stared at the television. Damn, he hated funerals. Dee sat down next to him, his arm sliding behind Ryo's neck and pulling his lover close. Ryo closed his eyes and leaned into Dee's hold.
“It's going to be a long night.”
 
“Go home.”
Diana looked up at the words and Rose stared flatly back.
“Go home,” he said again and shut the door in her face.
 
Rose realized he was staring at a blank wall. He blinked slowly and then leaned back into the couch. Fire flashed in his mind and he closed his eyes as the memory began to play again.
He kept seeing it. Her smile flashing at him, and then fire bursting from inside the car. It was like an egg from some mythical beast. Just a ball of flame and death. There had been a sound, he couldn't really describe it, but it was like a whoosh and a tearing and a scream of wind all at once. He gasped. God, what if it had been her screaming?
Pain wrenched his features and he could almost feel the concrete floor as he was thrown off his feet, his glasses skittering away. The sound of the frames dancing over the floor had been strangely loud in his ears, something that echoed over the cracking of over heated metal and shattering glass. Then he was pushing himself back to his feet, aware he was bleeding and bruised, but none of that mattered.
He cradled his head in his hands. He hadn't been able to stop screaming her name. He had lunged forward, intent on breaking open that fiery egg and pulling her out, a phoenix, she just needed him to pull her free, that was all. But powerful hands had stopped him, someone clinging to his back and manhandling him to the ground. He was still screaming for her, JJ Adams grunting as the detective somehow kept Rose pinned to the concrete.
Then a few legs had raced past him, and fire extinguishers filled the air with their strange cold smell. Rose was still screaming, and some gravel had been mashed up into his cheek. It was odd what the mind remembered. Someone stepped on his glasses somewhere around there, someone cracked them in half. And then suddenly, Ryo MacLean was crouched on the ground in front of him, and Rose couldn't see anything.
He'd really started to fight then, bellowing for everyone to get the fuck out of his way, but he hadn't been released. Rose shook as the memory continued. He was on his knees then, Laytner and Adams still holding him still as Ryo carefully pulled Rose's eyes to his.
“Look at me, sir. Look at me. She's gone. She's gone, sir.”
Rose sobbed and wiped his hands over his face as Ryo's voice played over and over in his head. He slammed his fists down onto the coffee table in front of him and leapt to his feet.
Rose fled into the night.
 
Dee grunted as the phone rang, his arm asleep and whole body sore and complaining about sleeping on the couch. Ryo muttered something and tightened his hold on Dee, the television playing some old movie in front of them. Dee squinted at it for a second before he shut it off and fished out the phone.
“Hello?” he said sleepily.
Ryo moaned and buried his face against Dee's chest.
“I know it's only ten o'clock,” Dee said. “Yeah, well monkey boy, when you get older, you'll find yourself sleeping at strange times too…uh-huh…And why would I want to do that?”
Ryo propped his chin on Dee's chest and looked up at his partner.
“He forgot his bag,” Dee explained. “He's trying to talk me into running it over.”
“Oh,” Ryo said around a yawn.
“Yeah, your dad's here,” Dee said. “No, you don't get to talk to him, you'll convince him to bring your crap to you…Okay, so what's it worth to you?”
Dee paused a moment longer as Ryo rubbed at his eyes. The dark haired detective clicked his tongue then.
“Deal,” he said. “Now don't forget what you owe me, Biks. I'll be there in a few.”
Dee turned the phone off as Ryo sat up and shook off a little more of the sleepiness.
“Just what did he offer?” Ryo asked.
“Next time we have a weekend off, he's going to make himself scarce the whole time,” Dee said and leaned forward for a quick kiss. “I'll get you all to myself.”
Ryo chuckled and stretched.
“Good work, Detective Laytner,” Ryo said. “But he disappears most weekends anyway. You should have gone for cash.”
“And you're his father,” Dee snorted.
Ryo leaned onto the couch arm and pulled his legs up onto the cushions.
“You're not going to ride with, are you?” Dee asked flatly.
“Nope.”
“Damn,” Dee muttered. “I'll be back in a little bit.”
He leaned down and gave Ryo a deep kiss, both sighing slightly when their lips pulled apart. Ryo smiled and Dee brushed his fingers through soft hair.
“Bye, Sexy.”
“Bye,” Ryo answered with a laugh. “Come back soon.”
“I don't know what could make me loiter with the monkey any longer than I have to,” Dee commented as he headed for the door.
Ryo yawned and curled back up into the couch. His eyes drifted closed and sleep readily came. He managed to get a full five minutes in before Dee's phone started ringing. A quiet curse escaped Ryo as he sat up and started digging down into the cushions.
“Dammit, Dee,” he muttered. “Can't you keep anything in your pants?”
Oh, Dee would have hit him for that one. Ryo would have to remember it for later. Ryo smiled and shook his head then and pulled the phone free.
“Dee Laytner's phone,” he answered.
“Is Dee there?”
The accent was vaguely southern and overlaid a too noisy background.
“No, I'm sorry. He stepped out and forgot his phone.”
“Is this the boyfriend? The cop?”
Ryo sighed with annoyance and only scowled a little.
“Yes, this is Detective MacLean.”
“Alright, look there's a guy down here that Dee knows.”
“Down here?” Ryo echoed.
“The One on One Pub,” the guy said. “He's some big shot that works with you guys. Dee was bitching about him the last time you guys were here. The guy had a press conference and all…shit, what is his name?”
“Rose?” Ryo asked. “Berkeley Rose is at your bar?”
“Rose! That's it. Yeah, he's down here. He's pretty messed up. He came in drunk. The guy is not well, we cut him off, but I don't think it's going to be too long before he heads for another bar.”
“Alright,” Ryo said quietly. “I'm on my way. Just try and keep him there as long as you can.”
“Sure thing, thought you boys would want to know.”
“Thanks.”
 
“Sir?”
Rose blinked groggily and lifted his head from the table. Ryo slowly came into focus.
“Ah, if it isn't the messenger of death,” Rose slurred thickly. “What the fuck do you want?”
Ryo paused a moment and then lightly tugged at Rose's arm.
“Come on, sir, let's go.”
“Get off,” Rose said, sloppily batting Ryo's hands away. “I'm fine where I am.”
“The bar's closing,” Ryo said.
“No it's not,” Rose answered petulantly. “Go the fuck away.”
“Come on, sir,” Ryo said. “Get up.”
“What did I just fucking tell you?” Rose snarled, but he was on his feet now and leaning heavily on Ryo. “I'm fine.”
“Alright,” Ryo said. “Come on.”
“Fuck off,” Rose snapped shakily. “I don't want anything from you.”
“That's fine,” Ryo said. “Come on.”
The night air was a little warmer than the bar and thick with the scent of the city. Ryo walked Rose to his car, part of him grateful that Dee had taken the subway and another part of him dreading pouring Rose into the vehicle. He pulled the passenger door open and Rose shook his head.
“Fuck no,” the Commissioner snapped. “I'm not going anywhere with you.”
“We'll argue about it on the way,” Ryo said. “Get in, sir.”
“Always so fucking polite,” Rose sneered. “What's wrong? Your partner so much of a man that you don't know how to be one?”
Rose found himself roughly pinned to the car as Ryo's eyes burned against him, the detective's face bare inches from his own.
“I realize you're drunk, sir,” Ryo said. “And that you've had a very bad day, but you need to take a few deep breaths and think about what you're saying. Now get in the car before I put you in the car.”
They stared at each other a moment and then Rose gave a brief nod. Ryo released him and carefully shut the door after Rose had climbed inside. Ryo circled back around and slid behind the wheel.
“Where are you taking me?” Rose asked flatly.
Ryo sighed.
 
“Dee?”
Ryo flipped the hall light on and sighed heavily as he led Rose inside.
“You can sleep on the couch tonight, sir,” Ryo said, the Commissioner leaning on him again to keep on his feet. “It's comfortable enough.”
“I want to go home,” Rose said in a muddled sulk.
“I can't leave you alone, sir,” Ryo said. “You'll just head out to another bar.”
“And the problem with that?” Rose asked tiredly.
“You'll end up dead in a gutter somewhere,” Ryo pointed out.
Rose didn't answer. Ryo spared him a look, but Rose was determinedly staring at the carpet, his eyes blurred and shuttered. Ryo led him further inside and then deposited him on the couch.
“You want some coffee?” Ryo asked quietly.
“Does it have liquor in it?” Rose asked.
Ryo bit his tongue and headed for the kitchen. This was probably a mistake. Giving Rose coffee now wasn't going to do anything but land Ryo with an alert drunk. And alert drunks had a bad habit of disappearing if given half a chance. Ryo listened to the coffee pot churn and finally pulled down two mugs. He carried the drinks back and found Rose still sitting on the couch, the news blaring over the Commissioner as he stared at the TV.
“She's not the lead story anymore,” Rose said dully. “There's bigger news than an NYPD CSI being blown up in a police parking garage.”
“I'm sorry,” Ryo said quietly and set the coffee down in front of Rose.
Rose's eyes drifted to the cup and he shrugged.
“I am too,” Rose said and then his eyes wandered up to Ryo. “I bet I stay sorrier a lot longer than you do.”
Ryo stared back at him and Rose grinned.
“I am the one who killed her after all.”
“That's not true.”
There was no pause, no hesitation in Ryo's voice. Rose blinked and stared up in surprise, then he chuckled and shook his head.
“You really believe that, don't you?” he said, his deep voice rugged with alcohol. “You really think that it's not my fault.”
“I know it's not your fault.”
Another shaky laugh escaped Rose and a few tears followed it.
“They killed her because she was supposed to be me,” Rose said, that same forced smile in place. “Same with Johnson. I'm a target that they just keep missing.”
“That doesn't make it your fault, sir.”
“You're fucking insane,” Rose muttered.
Rose wiped a hand down his face and then ripped his glasses off. He flung them irritably across the room and slumped deeper into the couch. Ryo sat silently next to him.
“I think I was in love with her,” Rose said suddenly. “No. I know I was in love with her…I told my family about her. I was so ready to show her off.”
Rose sighed and shook his head.
“I thought they'd be happy for me, or at least relieved that she wasn't some Asian guy that I'd picked up.”
Rose's eyes blearily slid over Ryo, like water running down ice, and then latched back on his coffee mug.
“But they didn't care,” Rose continued. “She wasn't good enough. Fuck that. She was too good for them. Too good for me.”
Rose's voice faded and he blinked in the thick gloom of the living room, the TV flashing over his glazed eyes.
“What do I do now, Ryo?” Rose asked quietly, the drunken slur pulling back a little as sorrow sobered him up.
“I don't know, Berkeley,” Ryo answered.
Rose's eyes slid back to Ryo and he stared at the detective, his eyes distant and blurred as Ryo stared back. Suddenly, Rose launched himself forward and pressed into Ryo, his lips latching on tight as he grabbed hold of the detective's lithe body. A surprised sound tried to escape Ryo, but Rose swallowed it down and burrowed closer. Ryo tried to wrench away, but Rose was all drunken weight now, and he kissed harder. Another sound broke from Ryo, angry now, but Rose didn't let go.
“What the fuck are you doing?”
Dee's roar filled the room and then his fingers were tangled in Rose's collar. He wrenched the Commissioner off of Ryo and tossed him to the floor. Rose drunkenly climbed to his feet and looked between the two of them. Realization of what he had just done filled him then, and he shook his head before he drunkenly turned and staggered for the door.
“Wait!” Ryo yelled. “Berkeley!”
“What just happened?” Dee yelled, his fingers tight around Ryo's arm as the other detective started after Rose. “What were you doing?”
“What did it look like?” Ryo snapped back. “He's drunk out of his mind.”
“And hurting?” Dee answered angrily. “Is that what you're going to tell me?”
“Yeah, he's hurt,” Ryo yelled.
“Goddammit, Ryo,” Dee said, his voice low and dark. “What if I hadn't walked in? What then? Didn't you just tell me that you would have…that…that you didn't before because I stopped?”
For a split second the whole room froze. Ryo stared at Dee with wide dark eyes as Dee stared back with flints of green. Then Dee was being yanked forward into a heady kiss, Ryo's lips hungry and powerful and needy all at once. He pulled Dee's breath out and pushed in his own and Dee struggled to keep some sense of control as Ryo kissed him. Then he was being shoved roughly back, barely able to keep on his feet as he staggered into one wall.
“That's because it was you, you dick!” Ryo roared, a light embarrassed blush on his cheeks. “There's no one else!”
Ryo stormed across the room and grabbed Rose's glasses. Dee was blinking now as he tried to untangle the emotions running through his head. Then Ryo was stalking to the door, a dark storm on his partner's face.
“Ryo, wait…”
“No,” Ryo answered. “I'm going to make sure he gets home alright. He can't be alone right now.”
“Ryo, I'm sorry.”
“I know,” Ryo snapped and then sighed wearily. “I know.”
Ryo paused a moment in the door and took a deep breath.
“I'm sorry too,” he said quietly and then smiled slightly. “I love you, Dee.”
Dee nodded.
“I love you too.”
The door clicked shut between them.
 
“Sir!”
Rose flinched at the yell and kept walking. He was almost moving in a straight line, a very admirable feat considering how much he'd had to drink that night.
“Sir!”
Ryo skidded to a halt at Rose's side and took a few deep breaths.
“Didn't you hear me?”
“Yes,” Rose answered. “Go home, Detective. Go back with Laytner. That's where you belong. I know that. You're with him, I just…”
“It's alright,” Ryo said.
“No it's not,” Rose snapped and then rubbed at his temple. “It's not alright.”
“No,” Ryo said slowly. “What you did wasn't alright, but I understand that you're hurting and you're--”
“Drunk?” Rose said flatly.
Ryo chuckled quietly.
“I'm sure that played a part in it,” he agreed as he handed Rose his glasses. “Come on, I'll get you home, sir.”
They headed off into the city night, Rose occasionally bursting into conversation and then trailing boredly away from it. Ryo let him talk, half listening, nodding or answering when necessary. Rose was beginning to sober up, but he was going to wish he'd been fall down drunk when they turned the corner.
Alicia Grant was waiting for them.
She was dressed in stylish black, her eyes hooded and dark as she smoked, a dark limo pulled up behind her. Ryo hesitated, Rose leaning against him as the Commissioner blinked blearily and tried to focus on the strange woman standing before him. Suddenly she cleared in Rose's mind.
“You,” he said lowly.
Alicia smiled coldly.
“Yes,” she said. “Good evening, Commissioner.”
“Alicia,” Ryo said softly. “What are you doing here?”
“I'm here to visit the Commissioner,” Alicia said. “I'm certain he's had a difficult day and could use all the comfort he can get.”
“I don't want anything from you,” Rose breathed.
“And here I've already been so generous with my affections,” Alicia said.
“What happened to you?” Ryo asked. “This isn't you.”
“This is all I have left,” Alicia said coldly. “Now I just would like to have a word with our illustrious Commissioner Rose.”
“Alicia, this isn't the time,” Ryo warned.
“Why?” she pressed. “Because he's a drunken mess? And whose fault is that?”
Her eyes narrowed to snake like points.
“Whose fault is all of this?”
“What do you want?” Rose asked, his voice so dead that it left Ryo with a slight chill.
“I just wanted to make sure that you'd received the message this time,” Alicia said quietly. “I want to make sure that we're all clear.”
“She was a message?” Rose asked, his voice shaking a little. “Killing her, was a message?”
Alicia smiled again.
“She wasn't the one who was supposed to…well, she wasn't the point, Commissioner.”
“Bitch,” Rose hissed.
Ryo shook his head.
“You knew about this?” he asked quietly.
Alicia's cold smile returned.
“Who do you think ordered it?”