Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XVI, Healing and Memory ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh, not making any money off this, and the story is set at the end of the last Act. Watch out for the lemony goodness kids and stop bitching about the length of time between updates. I have a life—somewhat.
 
 
As far as Ryo MacLean was concerned, Friday was the most useless day of the week. He sighed heavily and boredly rolled his pen back and forth across his desk. The office was buzzing with people busily blowing through work so they could head out guilt free to their weekend plans. Even the people who had to work the next day seemed affected by it. He supposed it might be the weather.
New York was seeing its first real warm up in weeks. It wasn't balmy or even comfortably cool outside, but at least you could walk to your car without frost forming in your lungs. There was a sharp rap at his door and Ryo quickly flipped open a file before he looked up.
“Hey,” Drake said as he poked his head inside. “Rose is calling a meeting. We've caught a break and he thought you might want to hear it.”
Ryo nodded and grabbed his jacket as he joined the other detective, a soft laugh escaping the other man. Ryo glanced over questioningly and Drake grinned.
“Next time, pull on your glasses.”
Ryo smiled in answer and smoothed his suit coat absently. There was no question about which case Rose wanted to talk about. Ryo was only working on one, and he was beginning to take on the edges of a man obsessed. He was spending too much time at the office, and he knew it, but there wasn't much to draw him home anymore.
The apartment was too empty with Dee gone.
There were no fights, no bickering yells, no tackles when they weren't expected, no grumbles, no growls, no soft hands and welcome lips. Ryo sighed quietly; Dee had slid so completely into his life that he was lonely every moment his lover was gone.
“You're fucking kidding me!”
Drake and Ryo exchanged a glance as the exclamation bled from the commissioner's office. A curt voice sounded inside and Ryo knocked lightly.
“Come in.”
Erin and Ted were staring at Rose, their jaws practically resting on the floor. Rose glanced at Ryo and Drake over his tented fingers and sighed quietly.
“We've secured a confession.”
Ryo blinked quickly and he felt Drake stiffen beside him.
“Who?” Drake finally managed.
“Jack Rushard,” Rose answered.
Ryo frowned sharply.
“I know that name,” he mumbled.
“You should,” Erin said with an angry shake of his head. “Goddamn firefighter is a goddamn fire bug.”
Ryo's eyes widened with realization.
“At the first scene,” he said.
“Yeah,” Drake said. “The guy, the guy with all the info.”
“I'll bet he had all the info,” Erin muttered.
Rose shot him a warning glare and Richardson sunk down into his chair.
“He confessed this morning,” the Commissioner continued. “The suspect that was recently--”
Rose's voice stilted suddenly and he looked up at Ryo. Ryo stared blankly back and then his eyes softened slightly.
“Shot,” Ryo offered quietly. “The suspect that was recently shot.”
Rose swallowed and uncomfortable silence pressed into the room.
“Yes,” the Commissioner said. “The deceased suspect was actually Rushard's nephew. He turned himself in today so he could ID the corpse. Rushard was his legal guardian.”
Ryo's eyes closed a moment and then he nodded slightly.
“Then our suspect has a name now?” he asked.
“Tyrel Rushard,” Rose said.
Ryo nodded again, his face completely blank. Rose stared at him, waiting for some sign of what the detective was thinking, but Ryo gave him nothing.
“Did he implicate anyone else in his statement?” Ryo asked.
The stiff professional clip pulled Rose back sharply. He took a deep breath and nodded.
“We've sent some uniforms to pick them up. They'll be in custody by the end of the day.”
“I can't believe we didn't see it,” Erin said and shook his head.
“Hindsight is always 20/20,” Ted said and clapped his partner on the shoulder. “We got `em, that's what matters.”
“If we hadn't been so damn distracted around here, maybe we could have caught them sooner,” Erin snapped back. “Jesus, people kill everyday.”
He cringed suddenly and turned to Ryo.
“Ryo, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that,” he said gently.
Ryo's eyes swiveled to him and the brunette shrugged.
“Don't worry about it,” Ryo said distantly. “Excuse me sir, I have some paperwork to do.”
“Of course, you're all dismissed,” Rose said and his eyes locked Erin in a death grip. “You stay.”
Erin watched helplessly as the office emptied, Ted and Drake silently following Ryo as he headed back to his empty office. Ted gave his partner one sympathetic shrug before he shut the door firmly.
Silence drifted between them. Erin waited, his fingers digging nervously into his knees as he stared at Rose. Rose wasn't looking at him though; he was filling in paperwork as if the detective wasn't even there.
“Sir?” Erin asked hesitantly.
“In a moment,” Rose answered flatly.
Rose scribbled another note down. He just needed another minute to get himself back under control. As soon as the words had left Richardson's mouth he had been ready to reach across the desk and jam a fist down the man's throat. And surprisingly, it hadn't just been because of the hurt that had flashed brilliantly across Ryo's eyes. Dee Laytner was an insufferable, egotistical, lazy, conceited, irritating, useless bastard, but he was also a damn good cop and man.
“Do you know why I wanted to speak to you, Detective Richardson?”
“Yes sir,” Erin answered quietly.
“And do I really need to say anything on the subject?”
“No sir,” Erin said in the same soft tone.
“Good,” Rose said and looked up through icy eyes. “Now let's discuss exactly how you'll be reprimanded for your little outburst.”
 
Erin knocked softly and Ryo looked up with another blank expression as the other detective entered his (their) office. Erin smiled at him, a soft gentle smile, and carefully set a long box on his desk.
“What's this?” Ryo asked with a frown.
“It's a gift, actually,” Erin said and laughed. “I thought you'd need it. I was going to give it to you on your birthday, but nobody around here seems to know when that is.”
A slight smile pulled at the edges of Ryo's mouth and his hand slid across the smooth wrapping.
“Think of it as an apology,” Erin said. “I really didn't mean that. Dee didn't…kill…that kid. He did what he had to, and we all know that.”
Ryo nodded silently and Erin forced out another smile.
“Come on, open it up.”
Ryo favored him with a small smile and Erin found himself again thinking how utterly delectable this man truly was. Even wandering around in a lonely sorrow filled daze he was simply irresistible. Erin wanted to lean across the desk and smother him in kisses. The wrapping ripped back and Ryo stared down at the long rifle case that practically glowed before him.
“You like it?” Erin asked. “I noticed yours was a little beat up and…”
Erin faded away.
 
“Good God, you baby that thing.”
Ryo looked up from the rifle and smiled at Dee.
“It works hard, so I take good care of it.”
“Is that how it works?” Dee asked. “So if I stop pulling my weight, you're just going to throw me out to the curb?”
“That's the general idea, yes,” Ryo answered lightly.
“You little…”
Ryo chuckled softly and Dee gently kissed the curve of his ear.
“You know, we do have the apartment all to ourselves…”
“Mmm-hmm…”
“And the brat won't be back for a few hours at least…”
“Mmm, interesting…”
“So maybe we could find some way to make use of all that precious time?”
Ryo chuckled again as Dee began to nibble at his jaw.
“I have to finish this first,” Ryo answered.
“You're a dirty tease,” Dee murmured against his throat, but pulled away. “Alright, fine.”
He sighed dramatically and held out one hand.
“What can I do to help?”
“I'm just cleaning it,” Ryo said and nodded his head towards the oil and rags that were spread over the newspaper clad table. “Just help me finish.”
“You look to be about done,” Dee said.
“Good news for you,” Ryo answered with a bright blush and a coy smile.
“A dirty rotten tease,” Dee chuckled.
Ryo's smile grew and he turned back to the pieces in his hands. He moved them effortlessly, carefully pulling apart and reassembling the firing mechanism with practiced ease. Although a part of him hinted that he was probably rushing this time a little more than he should have.
“Oh shit,” Dee hissed.
Ryo glanced over and then stared in absolute fascination. Dee was frantically wiping at his rifle case, a guilty look on his face as he juggled the barrel and what was now an almost empty bottle of gun oil. He glanced up and met Ryo's eyes, heavy embarrassment in his gaze as he tried to soak the oil up with a corner of his shirt.
“Sorry,” Dee said hesitantly. “Ryo, what do I--”
Ryo burst out laughing. Dee scowled at him.
“Dammit, Ryo, this is serious, it's going to stain.”
“Your shirt is ruined!” Ryo howled with laughter.
“I don't care about the damn shirt!” Dee answered. “It's all over your case!”
Ryo nodded. “It's going to stain.”
More laughter broke free from him and Dee stared at him with disbelief. Ryo had finally gone off the deep end, he was sure of it. Good God, this was the anal retentive freak that organized their office and never allowed a layer of dust to form on anything in their apartment.
“I'm sorry,” Ryo said, his eyes blinking fast as he tried to bite back on a wide grin. “You look…adorable…”
Dee glanced down at himself. His shirt was half untucked and covered with gun oil. The barrel was clamped in one drenched hand, and the rest of his skin was spattered in stains. Dee shook his head slightly and wiped the back of his hand across his cheek.
“I have it everywhere, don't I?” he said glumly.
Ryo nodded and reached out, his fingers smooth and soft against Dee's neck as his thumb caressed over Dee's pulse.
“You do,” Ryo said quietly, and his hand lightly moved to guide Dee to him.
They kissed slowly, the barrel pressing hard against Ryo's back as Dee wrapped his arms around him. He pulled Ryo to him, the kiss stretching out as they tasted and explored each other. At last they moved slowly apart and Dee swallowed thickly.
“You smell like gun oil,” Dee murmured.
“You taste like it,” Ryo answered.
“We should probably do something about that,” Dee whispered and lightly kissed the corner of Ryo's mouth.
“I think so,” Ryo agreed and pulled Dee into another breath stealing kiss. “I want to taste you.”
Dee grinned and nuzzled against Ryo's neck.
“Dirty, rotten, terrible tease,” Dee purred.
 
The lovemaking session that had followed had been burned into Ryo's mind. The feel of Dee wrapping around him as he slid inside, the soft moans that escaped his lover's lips, and the wonderful warm taste of Dee's skin. All of it had circled in Ryo's head, and it brought a fond smile to his lips every time he opened his rifle case and brushed his fingers over that warped stain.
Ryo blinked the memory clear and realized that Erin was speaking to him, something about the new features.
“I can't accept this,” Ryo said suddenly.
Erin paused and a small frown ran across his features before he pulled out another blinding smile.
“Ryo, it's just a gun case. I saw how beat up yours is, it's got that big stain in it and all, so I thought you could use another one.”
“Thank you,” Ryo said and smiled sadly at Erin. “I really don't want it.”
 
“Come on Ryo, one drink,” Ted said with exasperation. “We nailed the bastards, let's celebrate a little.”
“I don't know,” Ryo said with a shrug. “I was hoping that…”
Ryo's voice trailed off. He was hoping Dee would call. Did that make him pathetic? Now that he didn't have an excuse to hole up in his office he was going to spend his spare time staring at the phone. Yes, that could possibly be a little pathetic. He shrugged and shuffled some papers absently.
“Bikky's home alone,” Ryo said. “I should check in on him.”
“It's called a phone Ryo,” JJ said and rolled his eyes. “You're going. Don't even bother to argue with me. I have friends in the FBI and if you try and get out of this, I will tell Diana how you're acting.”
Ryo smiled and chuckled quietly.
“That's a pretty serious threat JJ,” he said.
“I know,” JJ answered with a triumphant smile. “Now get your coat.”
 
“JJ, you're such a lightweight,” Ted said as he shook his head.
“I don't have to work tomorrow,” JJ said with a slight slur to his voice. “And since Drake's not drinking, I'm sure he'll be glad to drive me home.”
“You short little bastard,” Drake said. “I should let you drive yourself.”
“That's not very policeman like,” Ted cautioned. “Ryo, finish that damn beer and order something stronger.”
Ryo laughed and ran a hand up through his hair.
“Actually, I'm thinking about heading out,” he confessed. “Thanks guys, it was fun.”
A chorus of voices yelled at him to sit down, but Ryo was too busy laughing and shrugging. His friends threw some peanuts at him and offered to buy him drinks, but Ryo really just wanted to go home now.
“Some of us have to work tomorrow,” Ryo said. “You boys be good. Call if you need a ride home.”
“G'night, Sandra Dee,” Drake teased.
“Be good, straight arrow,” JJ added.
“I hate you all,” Ryo said with a grin.
The night was cool across his face and his smile softened as he let it drift across his heated skin. He'd only had a couple of beers, but he could feel it warm in his cheeks. The wind picked up a little and Ryo hunched down in his jacket. He was suddenly wishing that he'd driven his car. Now he'd be stuck on the subway with a large portion of NYC's bar patrons.
“Fantastic,” Ryo muttered and zipped his coat up tightly.
“Need a lift?”
Ryo jumped slightly and glanced over, a small frown sliding into place.
“Erin? What are you doing here?”
Erin shrugged slightly.
“I was headed in for a drink, my shift just ended. Were you leaving?”
“Yeah,” Ryo said with a nod. “I still have to work tomorrow.”
“That sucks,” Erin said. “I was going to buy you a drink.”
Ryo shrugged, suddenly uncomfortable and Erin laughed softly.
“Just to show that we're still friends,” Erin said reassuringly. “That's all. So how about a ride instead?”
Ryo hesitated and Erin held his hands out.
“I just parked, my car's still warm.”
Ryo smiled and shrugged.
“Alright, why not?”
The car doors thunked solidly shut and they glided out into the light traffic. Ryo stared out at the lights that darted past and Erin switched on the radio. Soft jazzy music began to fill the air, and Erin smiled as he glanced over to watch Ryo's features glow up beneath the flickering city light. He wanted to say something, but he knew the silence was delicate between them, and he didn't want to risk breaking it.
His mouth dropped open a few times, but it always closed again with a small sigh or wince. Ryo's apartment loomed too quickly for him and Erin frowned as he finally pulled up in front of it.
“Here we are,” he said and cursed himself for it.
Ryo smiled at him and tugged the door open.
“Thanks.”
Erin's hand was moving then, lightly locking around Ryo's wrist and pulling the other man back to him. He had Ryo off balance, one foot out of the car, one hand gripping the door frame to keep him from toppling off his feet. Ryo smelled like cigarettes and beer and honey and sweet sweat, and his lips tasted like nothing Erin had ever had before. Ryo pulled away quickly, but Erin kept a hold of his wrist, one finger gently caressing Ryo's arm.
“If you need something,” Erin said softly. “I'm here. It's okay. He left. It's alright.”
Ryo was struggling in his hold now, a frantic angry look on his face as he tried to wrench free. Erin's voice remained smooth and gentle.
“I'm here now.”
“And you're goddamned lucky I can't throw a punch like this,” Ryo said in a menacing voice.
He jerked his hand away and then he was suddenly free and Erin leaned back into his door. It wasn't enough to save him from the flat fist that connected with his face. Erin yelped with pain and cradled his nose in his hands as Ryo climbed free from the car.
“And you're even luckier that I'm not a violent person,” Ryo snapped. “Touch me again, look at me again, and I'll snap your arm.”
Ryo slammed the car door shut and stalked away, one last vehement look tossed over his shoulder before he disappeared into his building. Erin cupped his face and gently prodded at his nose. He wanted to be indignant that his nose had just been broken, but he was pretty sure that no one was going to be sympathetic.
 
Ryo ran his hands over his face and then looked at his reflection. He looked tired.
“I feel tired,” he said softly.
He left…
That son of a bitch. Ryo was angry, it was ripping through him, but it wasn't quite enough to cover the hurt and fear that was there as well. What if Erin was right? What if Dee had really left? What then?
Ryo shook his head and climbed into bed, his arms immediately sliding out to pull Dee's pillow to him. He buried his face in it and tried to catch what faint traces of Dee's scent that were still left. He sighed and closed his eyes. Surprisingly, sleep came quickly, bulldozing over all his fears and plummeting him into mindless darkness.
The phone jerked him awake and Ryo fumbled away from Dee's pillow. His fingers clutched at his cell and he pressed it groggily to his ear.
“Criminal Investigations, Detective MacLean, er…hello?” he muttered and rubbed his hand over his face.
Silence stretched out and Ryo frowned and blinked a little.
“Hello?” he repeated.
“Ryo?”
Ryo's eyes snapped clear and he sat up quickly.
“Dee?”
“Hi,” Dee said softly.
“Hi,” Ryo answered and turned to peer at the clock. “What time is it?”
“Late,” Dee admitted.
Silence stretched out and Ryo found his eyes trying to pierce the darkness. He didn't know what he was looking for, and he gave up as he leaned back against the headboard with a soft sigh.
“Did I wake you?” Dee asked.
“Yeah,” Ryo said. “I'm glad you called.”
“Me too.”
More silence and this time Ryo heard Dee sigh.
“I'm sorry I didn't answer…before,” Dee said.
“That's alright.”
“Ryo…”
Dee's voice cut off and he sighed again in Ryo's ear.
“Ryo,” he started again. “I just…I wanted to talk to you.”
Ryo smiled slightly.
“Hi Dee,” he said softly.
Dee chuckled.
“Hi Ryo.”
“I love you Dee,” Ryo said gently.
“I know,” Dee answered quietly. “I love you too.”
“How are you doing?”
“Better,” Dee said. “Not great, but better. How are you?”
“Alright,” Ryo said and laughed quietly. “A little bored.”
“How's work?”
Ryo paused a moment. “We've charged three men in the arson/robberies.”
Silence came and Ryo suddenly wondered if he'd said the wrong thing.
“Who?”
Dee cursed softly then and sighed.
“What I mean is…” his voice cut out again. “Tell me Ryo.”
“The kid,” Ryo said. “His uncle was in on it. A firefighter.”
Ryo closed his eyes. He didn't want to do this over the phone, but Dee needed to know. If he waited, it would only hurt Dee again later.
“He turned himself in so he could claim the body.”
“Jesus.”
“I know,” Ryo whispered.
“Ryo…”
Dee's voice faded for a moment, but came back quickly.
“Ryo, please come up here.”
Ryo sat up straighter and his hand tightened on the phone.
“Please,” Dee said his voice soft now. “I miss you. Please come.”
There was no hesitation.
“I'm on my way.”
 
Berkeley Rose did not like getting phone calls in the middle of the night. They were never good news. He growled low in his throat as he picked his cell phone up and tried to decipher the number flashing at him. The warm body curled up against him groaned and rolled away. Rose glanced back with warm annoyance and flipped the phone open.
“Commissioner Rose here,” he answered crisply.
“Sir? It's Ryo.”
“Ryo?” Rose said with a frown. “What is it? What's happened?”
He was pulling on his clothes before he even knew the situation. If Ryo was calling him this late, it must be something drastic, he knew it would take something serious for the detective to call.
“I won't be in tomorrow,” Ryo said.
Rose froze and pulled the phone down to stare at it with open disbelief.
“What?” he said after he lifted it back to his ear.
“I'm sorry,” Ryo said and sighed. “I tried to leave you a voicemail, but your box's down.”
“Yes, standard upgrade,” Rose said. “Now what's going on?”
“I'm heading upstate,” Ryo said. “I probably won't be back for a while. I told Chief Smith a week, but it could be longer.”
Rose shrugged out of his pants again and flipped back up into bed.
“Laytner,” he said simply.
“Yes sir,” Ryo said. “I'm sorry to call so late, but I thought you should know.”
“I'll see that everything's taken care of,” Rose assured him.
“It already is,” Ryo said. “I thought you might have a message for him.”
Rose blinked in surprise and then chuckled softly.
“Tell him the office is much quieter without him there,” Rose said. “He can draw his own conclusions.”
Ryo laughed. “Yes sir, thank you. I'll see you soon, sir.”
“Goodbye Ryo, have a safe trip.”
“Goodbye Berkeley.”
Rose flipped the phone shut and tossed it back on the end table. A slender arm draped across his chest and a warm body curled up close.
“What was that about?” Jamie Karlisle mumbled.
“It seems word has spread about our elicit affair,” he said sadly. “I'm afraid the whole world knows.”
“Damn,” Jamie muttered. “You're such a bad liar.”
Rose chuckled and lightly kissed the top of her head.
“Nothing,” Rose said. “Go back to sleep.”