Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
“Yeah I remember that,” Dee said with a laugh. “The place went up in a burst of flame.”
“Six Molotov cocktails will do that,” Leo said with a low chuckle. “That was back when you first started right?”
“When I first started with you,” Dee said. “I'd been running for Bruno for about two years before then. It was my first…real…job though.”
“Really?” Leo said softly and his eyes closed. “Do you ever regret it?”
Dee stared at him in confusion.
“What do you mean?”
“Six people died.”
Dee shifted uncomfortably.
“I remember,” he said as he stared up.
“I guess you regret some things sometimes,” Leo said.
 
“I'd rather not go,” Randy said as he sat across from Chief Smith and Commissioner Rose.
“MacLean,” Smith said. “You've got an invite, you're capable, there's no reason for you not to be there.”
Randy shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Somehow word had gotten around that he wasn't just a MacLean, he was a MacLean, emphasis on the money. And what's more, they had somehow found out that his moderately estranged grandfather had invited him to the company ball. It meant a weekend putting up with relatives that hated him and a night of being forced to make small talk with boring people. Unfortunately, it also would give him an excellent vantage point to watch some of the city's more notorious crime figures.
“Consider it an order,” Smith said flatly. “Between you and the Commissioner we should manage to get a pretty good fix on what's going on around here.”
Rose flashed him a predatory smile and Ryo slumped in his chair. Yet another reason to dread going.
 
Randy tugged at his bowtie and struggled to get himself under control. He really didn't want to be here. There was a quiet knock at the door of the room his grandfather had loaned him, and Randy quickly moved to answer it. Agent Diana Spacey smiled at him and gave him a quick wink.
“Howdy Sandra Dee,” she said. “You look amazing.”
“So do you Diana,” Randy answered and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Simply breathtaking.”
She smiled and then shot an annoyed glare over her shoulder at Rose.
“See?” she said lowly. “He noticed right away.”
“Diana,” Rose said. “I was simply too stunned by your beauty to say anything.”
Diana's mouth twitched with a barely contained smile and she lightly punched Rose's shoulder.
“Oh you,” she said. “I know you're lying, but I just don't care. Let's go down to the party.”
She hooked her arm through Rose's and led them down the stairs, happily chatting as they walked. Randy followed slowly, a heavy lead ball of dread shifting uncomfortably in his stomach. He'd give anything to just leave. You're here on official business, it's just a job, just go with that. Randy sighed and entered the bustling ballroom.
Diana and Rose disappeared almost instantly, quickly making the rounds through the room, happily talking and laughing with all the most powerful people. Randy felt adrift in a violent storm. He was surrounded, and quickly maneuvered his way to the bar, sighing with relief when he finally found an open seat. He sat down, ordered, and then began to observe the gathering.
He could do this. He didn't like parties this big, but he could watch from here, from the edges of everything. That'd be fine. His mind quickly flipped through the images of the men he was supposed to be watching for and he carefully swirled his drink around as he scanned the room.
“Ah, Randy, here you are my boy!”
Randy looked up and then stood with a small smile as his grandfather stepped to his side. Randy's cousin, Martin, hesitated just behind him, a dark scowl on his face as he stared at Randy. Randy gave him a polite smile and was quickly engulfed in a warm hug.
“Glad you could make it,” Franklin MacLean said happily. “How's your room?”
“It's fine,” Randy answered a little shakily. “It's much nicer than what I'm used to.”
“That's not surprising,” Martin said dryly.
“Now, now,” Franklin said as he clapped Randy on the back. “Randy's made his own way in the world and that's something to be proud of, not laughed at.”
Franklin smiled at Randy warmly and then his eyes drifted out over the party.
“I'm sorry Randy, but I really must get back to work. This may be a party but if I don't make the rounds I'll never hear the end of it.”
“Of course,” Randy answered. “Thank you again for inviting me.”
“Think nothing of it,” Franklin said with a wave of his hand. “If I don't see you later I'll see you in the morning before you leave.”
Randy nodded and Franklin strode easily back into the crowd, Martin trailing in his wake. When they were out of Randy's earshot Franklin MacLean's hand shot out and grabbed one of the silent men that were never far from his side.
“I don't want Vones anywhere near my grandson,” MacLean said lowly. “Keep the sick bastard away from him.”
The silent man nodded and Franklin's hand tightened for an instant.
“Do it discreetly.”
Randy sat back down and went back to sipping his drink and silently observing. He'd give it an hour, then he'd make his escape. He didn't know any of these people anyway and he had no idea how to introduce himself. These were captains of industry and millionaires from across the globe, how'd a New York City cop say hello?
The seat next to him was suddenly filled and Randy shifted a little as he felt the new occupant brush against him. A moment passed and there was more soft pressure against his arm. He scooted away again, still absently staring out at the crowd. The gentle brushing happened a third time and he turned with a slightly annoyed look. Dee Laytner stared back at him with a small smile.
“I was wondering if you'd just scoot right off the stool before you noticed it was me,” he said.
Randy wrenched his eyes away, a small frown on his lips as he stared out at the full ballroom. Great. Dee Laytner was the last person he wanted to see right now.
“What are you doing here?” Randy asked.
“What else?” Dee said. “Keeping an eye on things for my boss. What about you Detective? Was I right? Are you really a MacLean?”
“I told you my name already,” Randy answered flatly.
“But you didn't say you were part of this specific MacLean family,” he said.
“Would it have made a difference?” Randy asked as he boredly took another drink.
“Maybe, your grandfather's a well respected man.”
Randy was silent and Dee smiled a little.
“You're not really part of the family, are you?”
More silence. Dee chuckled.
“Do you think if you ignore me I'll go away?”
Randy still didn't say anything.
“Alright,” Dee said and his voice became a husky whisper in Randy's ear. “I'll bet I can get your attention.”
Randy stiffened, his eyes widening and a nervous flutter running through him. Dee's arm slid up and Randy watched, filled with dread, unable to do anything as Dee chuckled quietly next to him. Now Dee pointed through the crowd at a short bald man.
“You see that guy?” Dee said. “He's a drug boss from China here to talk to the Stevelli family about increasing shipments in from the Orient. Want to know more?”
Randy's mouth thinned. Damn Dee Laytner.
“Yes,” the Detective ground out through gritted teeth.
“It's going to cost you a polite conversation,” Dee said. “Quid pro quo, as they say, or tit for ass if you're being crude.”
Randy shot him an annoyed look and Dee grinned back. A long moment of silence passed and Randy sighed.
“So what do you want to talk about?”
“How about you?”
Randy's jaw tensed. Fine, they could play this little game, he didn't care.
“What about me?”
“I don't know,” Dee answered. “It was the first thing that popped into my mind. So tell me Ryo, how close are you to your grandfather?”
Randy sighed again, suddenly very tired. How did Dee Laytner do that? Whenever the man was around Randy just felt exhausted.
“Not very,” he answered finally. “He only contacted me about three months ago.”
“Really? That's surprising. Did you have a fight with him?”
“No,” Randy answered. “My father did. I'd never met Franklin MacLean until then.”
“I see,” Dee said. “So where's your dad at? Is he fuming that you're here at the old man's party?”
Randy was silent and something darted through his eyes that Dee couldn't miss. Dee flinched a little and Randy took another long drink.
“Let's talk about something else,” Randy said softly.
“Fair enough,” Dee said. “So anyway, the Stevelli's are planning on doing more business with that guy over there.”
Dee pointed and Ryo followed his finger to a tall man with curly red hair.
“His name's Jack Pearson,” Dee said. “He's their link to the Chinese guy, he's got some funky name, like Po-Leu-Chan, or something like that. Don't quote me on that one. They're all here tonight as a show of good will, they'll have a real quiet meeting next week, Thursday I hear, late.”
“Why are you telling me this?” Randy asked suddenly.
“Do you want me to stop?” Dee asked with another playful grin.
He leaned closer and breathed Randy in, enjoying the surprised jump and the delicate blush that fanned across his cheeks. This man was amazing.
“I think that I enjoy your company,” Dee said. “I'd enjoy it more if you didn't mind talking to me. So I'll tell you a little about what a rival is working on, and look how lucky I am? I get to get him out of the way and spend time talking to you.”
“I see,” Randy answered.
“Of course, there are other ways we could spend our time together that would be even more pleasant.”
Randy shot him an annoyed and embarrassed look and Dee grinned. Dee suddenly wished they were somewhere more private so he could kiss this delectable man again. It was strange, but he really did feel a connection with him, there was something there between them.
“Detective.”
Randy turned away from Dee as Rose stepped to his side, a dark glare on his face as he stared at Dee. Dee just smiled coolly back.
“Yes sir?” Randy said.
Rose and Dee stared at each other a moment longer, both intent on not being the first to look away and Randy sighed heavily. He leaned forward then, blocking their view of each other as his eyes slid to Rose.
“Sir?”
“Diana was hoping for a dance,” Rose said, a small forced smile stretching over his lips. “She's waiting for you.”
“Of course,” Randy said and stood up. “Please excuse me Mr. Laytner.”
“Dee is fine, Ryo,” Dee said with a smile.
Randy's mouth thinned and both watched as he disappeared into the crowd.
“What exactly are you doing here?” Rose asked coldly.
“Well hello again Commissioner,” Dee said. “It's so nice to see you too.”
“I'm not in the mood to play your games, Laytner,” Rose snapped.
“You never were very good at them,” Dee said, a little fake sadness in his voice. “I heard things weren't working out for you upstate, but I was a little surprised when you transferred here. Any particular reason for that?”
Rose's eyes narrowed dangerously and he sat down on the seat Randy had just left. He leaned close to Dee, his voice a bare whisper.
“I'm well aware of your purported proclivities,” Rose growled.
“As I am of yours,” Dee said simply.
“Stay away from him.”
“Why?” Dee asked and his smile curled almost cruelly.
“If anything happens to him, I know where I'll start looking.”
Dee chuckled quietly. “If you recall, it's not my lovers that disappear mysteriously Commissioner.”
“Just what is that supposed to mean?” Rose hissed.
“I hear things,” Dee said with a shrug. “Good night Commissioner.”
Rose barely suppressed an angry snarl and glared daggers into Dee Laytner's back as he walked away. He really hated that man.
 
Randy yawned and brushed his hand back through his hair as he poured himself a cup of the 27th's wonderfully strong coffee. It was like pouring life back into his veins.
“Detective MacLean, I'd like to see you in my office,” Rose said sternly as he passed through the break room.
Ryo slumped and Drake patted his shoulder.
“You want me to come with? I can be moral support. Or I could call your cell in five and you can pretend there's an emergency.”
“No, it's fine,” Randy said with a sigh. “I'll have to talk to him sooner or later, he'll want to hear everything I learned at the party.”
“How'd that go by the way?”
“Horribly,” Randy answered without hesitation.
Drake was laughing as Randy left, his coffee still clutched in one hand. He may have to put up with Rose's indiscreet pick-ups, but he sure as hell wasn't going to do it without some caffeine in hand. He knocked at the Commissioner's door and was curtly told to enter. Rose was seated at his desk, his eyes boaring hard into Ryo.
“You wanted to see me sir?”
“Why did he call you Ryo?”
Randy's jaw dropped in surprise. Is that was this meeting was about?
“It's my Japanese name,” Randy answered.
“And how did he get it?”
“He asked about it,” Randy said, frowning now. “What do you want sir?”
“I want to know how careful you're being, Ryo. You seemed pretty damn comfortable with a known mob hit man.”
“Comfortable?” Ryo snapped angrily. “Then you obviously weren't paying close enough attention. I couldn't have been more uncomfortable.”
“Is he the source of the tip you gave narcotics?” Rose asked, his voice suddenly soft and cool.
Randy hesitated. “Yes.”
“So you were talking to him and he just happened to tell you about a drug deal that amounted to product in the millions of dollars.”
“Yes,” Randy answered, his voice just as flat as Rose's.
“And why would he do something like that?” Rose growled.
Randy felt embarrassment and anger well up in him. He couldn't shake the feeling that Rose was just being a possessive ass, angry because another boy had been looking at his toy.
“Sir, I don't know--”
Randy's phone rang suddenly and he cursed irritably. He had told Drake not to call him, dammit. He flipped the cell open.
“What is it?”
Randy's eyes widened and he nodded a little.
“Yes, this is him. Is he alright?...No, thank you for calling me, I'm on my way now…Yes, I know where it is…goodbye.”
Randy stared at his phone for a moment then wrenched his eyes back up to Rose.
“I have to go, my foster son's been in an accident.”
Then, without waiting for any response, Randy left.
 
“It's a minor sprain,” the doctor said as he led Randy down the hall. “He pushed a younger child out of the way, but the car accidentally clipped him instead. Your son's really an amazing boy, I know grown men who wouldn't have done something like that. And everything's been taken care of. The driver's passenger paid all the bills, and he's waiting for you in with your son.”
“In with Bikky?” Randy said with open disbelief and anger.
“You'd be surprised,” the doctor said with a chuckle. “They haven't stopped fighting long enough for us to separate them.”
He ushered Randy to a door and they both stepped inside.
“Well if you had better balance you monkey freak you wouldn't have had any problems!”
“And if your guy hadn't been driving like a blind jackass I wouldn't have had to push that kid out of the way!”
“Bite me.”
“Go to hell! Oh, oops.”
Bikky grinned at him and Randy stared back with open relief. The tall man seated next to Bikky turned and Randy's face fell. Dee Laytner blinked in surprise.
“I thought you worked criminal investigations. Shouldn't they have sent someone from traffic or juvenile?”
Randy stared at him for a moment then moved quickly to Bikky's side, the boy staring at Dee with a small frown as he quickly looped his arms around Randy's neck and allowed Randy to hug him back.
“Are you okay?” Randy asked.
“Yeah, I guess. This moron barely clipped me. Damn brat chased a ball out into the street. She would have gotten squashed if I hadn't been there.”
Randy nodded and glanced over at Dee.
“Thanks for waiting with him and taking care of the bill,” Randy said. “But I'm here now, so you can go.”
“Mmm-hmm,” Dee answered with a distant smile.
Bikky's eyes narrowed.
“What are you looking at freakzilla?”
“Who are you calling a freak, brat?” Dee answered, his eyes narrowing as they slid back to Bikky.
“Don't call me a brat!”
“Then don't call me a freak!”
Randy sighed and lightly pinched the bridge of his nose.
“Would the two of you stop already? Bikky, have you got all your stuff together? Let's go home.”
“So wait,” Dee said with a small frown. “Is he really your son?”
“Yes,” Randy answered. “Come on Bikky.”
“Your file didn't say anything about a wife and kids,” Dee said.
“My file?” Randy repeated.
Dee gave him a mischievous grin.
“Stop looking at him like that you pervert!” Bikky yelled as he grabbed one of his crutches and slammed it into Dee's head.
“Bikky!” Ryo said with open shock.
“Goddammit!” Dee bellowed. “I really wish I had run you over and then thrown it in reverse!”
“Go suck an egg!”
“Burst into flame you little twip!”
“Dee are you alright?” Randy asked trying to look at the eye Bikky had managed to nail.
“You can just kiss my ass!” Bikky told him happily.
“You little shrimp!” Dee yelled, pulling away from Randy's hands.
“What did you just call me!?”
“Bikky,” Randy said sharply. “Take your things and go out to the lobby. I'll meet you there in a minute.”
Bikky scowled, his eyes darting between Randy and Dee. He sighed heavily; Randy had that determined-don't-give-me-any-shit-look on his face and Bikky knew there was no point in arguing. He hoisted his bag over his shoulder and easily swung his way out the door on his crutches, shooting Dee one more warning glance on his way past.
“You,” Randy said sternly and Dee blinked at the rough tone. “Hold still.”
Dee froze and Randy's hands gently tilted his head so Randy could examine the damage. His touch was soft and his hands were a little cool, the skin smooth and wonderful against Dee's face. He smiled softly and closed his eyes as Randy leaned closer and the clean scent of the man filled Dee's nose.
“It might bruise a little,” Randy said. “But it doesn't look like he hurt anything.”
Randy started to step back, but Dee caught one wrist and held him close, his eyes now locking with Randy's. Dee smiled and carefully brushed back a stray lock of brown hair.
“I really didn't mean to hit him,” Dee said softly. “It was an accident.”
“That's what Bikky said,” Randy said and tried to pull free, Dee's hold tightening.
Dee's smile grew a little.
“I know, but I wanted to tell you too,” Dee said. “I didn't want you to think that it was all some childish plot to see you again. Though I am grateful for the opportunity.”
Dee was standing now, his hand still closed warmly around Randy's wrist. It didn't hurt, but it was a firm hold. Dee pulled him forward then, closer, his other arm quickly encircling Ryo as Dee nuzzled against his neck, Ryo's heart thudding loudly and his breath catching as Dee kissed his jaw and then clamped onto his lips.
This kiss was much like the last one, except that it was completely different. The warm firm feel of Dee's lips, his tongue tracing over and then into Ryo's mouth, the soft touch of his hands running up and down Ryo's back. It felt familiar, but still completely new. Dee held him close, lingering in the kiss, enjoying the feel of holding Ryo like this.
At last he pulled back and Ryo's eyes opened, blinking slowly as he stared up at Dee with that same confused look on his face. Dee smiled at him, his hand again rising to run through Ryo's hair. He was beautiful.
“Have dinner with me tonight,” Dee said. “I'll repay you for the accident today.”
“I…I don't think so,” Randy said as he pulled away.
“Why not?”
“I need to take Bikky home,” Randy said.
“Alright,” Dee said, that devilish smile in place again.
 
Bikky played with every button he could find in the limousine, happily toying with everything he could get his hands on. Randy sat next to him, determinedly staring out the window and trying to figure out how in the hell Dee had talked him into getting into the limo in the first place. Dee sat across from him, an amused smile on his face as he surveyed Randy. He had a gorgeous face and his movements hinted that his body was just as amazing. And his kisses…
If the kid hadn't been there Dee probably would have risked finding out how fast the detective could draw his gun in order to steal another kiss.
The car finally rolled to a halt and Bikky sighed heavily as he climbed out, crutching his way up to the door. Randy followed quickly, anxious not to be trapped in the car alone with Dee Laytner, almost as if he had felt the man's earlier thoughts.
“Thank you for the ride,” Randy said curtly and headed for the door.
“You aren't even going to invite me up?” Dee asked as he climbed out after them and waved the driver off.
“No,” Randy answered and headed into the building.
Dee grinned.
 
Randy locked the apartment door behind them and Bikky started to quickly explain why he had been out on the streets and not in school at the time of the accident. Unfortunately, the boy's bravery seemed to outweigh his stupidity and Randy soon found himself giving in and just telling Bikky to be more responsible in the future. At least from now on Randy could tell Bikky to go to school or a car might hit him.
“I'll get some supper started,” Randy said. “You just get your homework done, you're cleared for school tomorrow.”
“Come on Ryo, don't I get one day off?”
“Nope.”
Randy changed out of his suit and then headed into the kitchen and started cooking, delicious smells soon filling the apartment. Bikky smiled a little; this was certainly a perk of keeping his nose clean, Ryo really knew how to cook.
The doorbell rang and Randy absently wiped his hands clean on the short apron he wore as he headed for the door. He glanced through the peephole and shook his head with disbelief as he opened the door. Dee Laytner grinned at him.
“Pardon me sir,” he said. “But my car seems to have abandoned me here. Might I come in for a while until it returns?”
“What are you going to do if I say no?”
“Well I'm not going to burn the building down or anything like that,” Dee said as he stepped past Randy and into the apartment. “Whoa, something smells great.”
“What the hell is he doing here?” Bikky asked as Dee strolled into the living room.
“I missed your charming personality,” Dee answered dryly. “Is that a play station?”
Bikky seemed to waver between his desire for video games and his desire to continue fighting with Dee. At last he shrugged slightly; who said he couldn't do both?
“Yeah, so?”
“Get ready to get schooled monkey boy.”
Randy stared at them both and then threw his hands up in the air.
“Fine,” he said loudly. “I give up. Stay for dinner, why don't you?”
“Thanks,” Dee answered cheerily. “I'd love to.”
 
“You really are a good cook,” Dee said as he helped carry the empty dishes into the kitchen.
“Thank you,” Randy answered.
Dinner had gone surprisingly…er…Randy wouldn't say that it had gone well, but at least it hadn't gone too badly. Dee and Bikky had argued back and forth through most of the meal, both seemingly thrilled to have someone to bicker with. Dee had been polite and smiled whenever Randy looked at him and had even offered to help with clean up. Now if only the man wasn't such a rat bastard Randy wouldn't mind spending time with him.
“What are you thinking?” Dee asked as he dumped the dishes in the sink.
“Nothing,” Randy answered. “When's your car supposed to be back?”
“Don't know,” Dee said with a shrug. “You sit down, I'll take care of these.”
Randy gave him a small skeptical look and Dee grinned.
“It's fine.”
The brown haired cop sighed and headed back into the living room, wondering exactly how he would explain to anyone the amount of time he was spending in the company of a known mafia man. And more than that, how he'd explain a known mafia man doing his dishes. He sat down on the couch, boredly flipping through channels as Bikky picked up the video game carnage from earlier. Then his son glanced up at him and gave Randy a small pleading grin.
“Can I go see Carol? Please? I promise to come back early.”
“Biks, it's pretty late already and with your ankle sprained--”
“But that's why I want to go,” Bikky persisted. “Come on Ryo, please, just for a little while?”
“Bikky,” Randy shook his head a little; he really didn't want to be alone with Dee right now. “It can wait until tomorrow.”
“What's the problem?” Dee asked as he emerged from the kitchen, a bottle of wine and two glasses in his hands.
“Nothing,” Randy said.
“I wanted to show my friend Carol my crutches,” Bikky said. “That's all.”
“Yeah,” Dee said with a grin. “Chicks dig battle scars.”
“He gets it!” Bikky said with triumph.
“Ha, ha,” Randy said flatly. “Finish picking up your mess. It won't help your ankle if you go dragging it all over town.”
“So you just don't want him to go because it'll be a strain on his ankle?” Dee asked, his voice strangely sly.
Randy hesitated. He felt suddenly like he was walking into a trap.
“It's late,” Randy said. “He shouldn't be out limping around on the streets. He's only going to make the injury worse.”
“Well then it's no problem,” Dee said as he pulled out his cell phone. “He can take the limo.”
“You could have called him anytime?” Ryo snapped angrily.
“Of course,” Dee said with a bright grin. “I'll have him pick you up downstairs, okay Bikky? He'll be under strict instructions to take you to the first address you give him and then back here, you get it?”
“Yeah, that's great!” Bikky yelled and was up and moving. “Thanks Ryo!”
“What, wait,” Randy said, reaching out after the boy.
It was amazing how fast Bikky could move on his crutches.
The door clicked shut, and Dee finished his phone call all in one flurry of sound. Randy was on his feet then, starting after Bikky, but Dee deftly grabbed his wrist and pulled him back to the couch.
“What are you doing? Let go!”
Dee pinned him loosely, his lips finding Randy's and pressing down with raw hungry heat. He held Ryo close, his hands running up and down the lithe body, Ryo pushing feebly at his shoulders as Dee reveled in the wonderful taste of his mouth. Dee pulled back a little, staring down into those dark beautiful eyes and he smiled.
“He called you Ryo,” Dee said softly.
Randy blinked and stared up through a heavy fog.
“What?” he murmured as his hands pushed at Dee again.
Dee smiled and leaned closer, nipping lightly at Ryo's neck.
“He called you Ryo, I thought I was the only one who called you that.”
Randy was struggling now, pushing Dee back as he tried to squirm free. Dee chuckled quietly. He'd have to stop soon or the detective would actually get angry with him. One last kiss wouldn't hurt.
He started to lean forward when a crutch slammed into his face.
It was amazing how fast Bikky could move on his crutches.
“What the hell?” Dee bellowed as he leapt to his feet.
“Keep your hands off Ryo,” Bikky warned. “Stupid pervert. I knew it was a trick, I just knew it. And I almost fell for it.”
Randy was blushing darkly as he sat up, one hand running over his clothes and smoothing out his hair. Bikky glared at Dee and plopped down on the couch next to Randy, his crutches leaning easily within reach.
“Man what a dweeb,” Bikky said as he relaxed into the couch.
“I'm going to get you for this, you brat!”
“What are you going to do to me?” Bikky said with a shrug. “You've already hit me with your car.”