Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
“Hello Detective.”
Randy looked up from the files spread in front of him, his dark glasses in place as he blinked in absolute surprise. Dee Laytner was grinning down at him, and Randy wasn't the only one shocked to see him there; the whole precinct was practically gawking.
“I like your glasses,” Dee said. “They accent your eyes nicely.”
Randy wasn't sure why he was blushing, but he was pretty sure that ten percent was from the compliment and ninety percent was from the way Dee's eyes were moving over him.
“What are you doing here?” Randy asked finally as he pulled his glasses off and tossed them into a desk drawer.
“I thought you'd want to go for lunch,” Dee said. “I'll pay you back for dinner last night.”
“Dinner last night?” Drake said as he sat down on the corner of Randy's desk. “Oh this one I have to hear.”
Dee stared at him and Drake grinned as he held out his hand.
“Detective Drake Parker,” he said. “It's certainly a thrill to meet you Mr. Laytner.”
Dee blinked and then laughed, happily shaking Drake's hand.
“See Ryo,” Dee said. “I am famous.”
“Infamous,” Drake corrected. “You'll have to forgive MacLean, he's not a New York City boy. He just transferred in a few months ago.”
“Our city must already sleep safer,” Dee said solemnly.
“It's nice to have a boy scout on the force,” Drake said. “Keeps us honest.”
Ryo glared between them and shook his head.
“What did I do to deserve this?”
“Too much clean living,” Drake answered simply. “So, Mr. Laytner, how are things running in the Grant family?”
“Grant family?” Dee said innocently. “What's that?”
Drake chuckled and then strolled away. “Cute. Have fun…Ryo.”
Randy slumped a little in his desk. Great, now everyone was going to start calling him that. It wasn't like it bothered him, it was just going to be strange.
“I think he just gave you his blessing to go to lunch with me,” Dee said, turning his smile back on Randy. “Come on. A quick meal.”
Randy stared blankly at him and then shook his head.
“Sorry, I'm behind on my paperwork.”
Dee paused, quietly observing, and then he sighed heavily.
“So you'd go if this was a business lunch?”
Randy's eyes slid up to his, skeptical and cautious. Dee stared back, his smile small and his eyes set.
“I'll make it worth your while.”
 
“I thought the mob was supposed to be more honorable than this,” Randy said as he sipped his coffee.
“What do you mean?” Dee asked as he appreciatively stared down at their food.
“Using cops to take care of business,” Randy explained. “Isn't that something you should do yourself?”
“Are you complaining?” Dee asked.
“Well, no, but…”
“Besides which,” Dee said around a bite of potatoes. “I'm not using you to get to them, I'm using them to get to you.”
His smile became absolutely wolfish.
“That's completely honorable. You know, all's fair in love and war.”
Randy blushed slightly as he stared at Dee with complete disbelief. Was this really a notorious hit man? Was this really a made man? Was this really happening?
He stared at Dee for a moment longer, his mouth a thin line before he spoke again.
“So what's my file say?”
“Your file?” Dee echoed, trying to sound confused.
“That won't work,” Randy said.
“Alright,” Dee laughed. “You want to trade? What's my file say on me?”
“I'll bet you already know.”
“Probably, but tell me anyway.”
“Suspected mob connection, possible hit man, connected to several open and on-going investigations.”
“Your files are pretty impersonal,” Dee commented. “Don't they say anything relative? You know, like my favorite food or my favorite color?”
Randy shook his head, a small smile on his face as he tried to be annoyed with Dee. Somehow he just couldn't. Dee chuckled in triumph.
“My file?” Randy asked.
Dee shrugged a little. “Decorated officer, sharpshooter, high commendation, basically your friend Drake was right, all around boy scout. But the brat threw me for a loop. He's not mentioned anywhere.”
“He just started living with me,” Randy said. “His dad died in a drug deal gone bad and Bikky didn't have anywhere to go. So I took him in.”
“He's lucky,” Dee said softly.
The gentle sadness in the dark haired man's voice caught Randy by surprise and he looked up in time to watch a subtle shadow shift over Dee's face. Then it was gone and the mafia man smiled again.
“It also says your favorite color is blue.”
Randy smiled slightly and shook his head.
“That won't work either,” he said with a small laugh.
“What?” Dee asked innocently.
“You name a color in hopes that I'll tell you what my real favorite is.”
“Damn,” Dee said. “He's onto me.”
“Get some new tricks,” Randy said as he stood. “Thanks for the info and the meal. Bye.”
“Wait, you're leaving already?”
“I've got work,” Randy said. “My lunch hour ends in ten minutes.”
“Be late.”
Randy shook his head. He got the feeling that Dee Laytner didn't hold to schedules very well.
“Bye,” Randy said again.
“Fine, fine,” Dee said. “At least let me give you a ride back.”
“It's two blocks,” Randy said. “Goodbye.”
“How about dinner?” Dee asked as he trailed after Randy.
“No thanks.”
“I still owe you for running over your kid,” Dee said and then made a face. “Although, after spending time with him, I might have done you a favor.”
Randy laughed and Dee grinned.
“Come on Ryo,” Dee said, his arm snaking out and blocking the doorway. “One more time.”
“I'm late,” Randy said.
“Is that a yes?”
“No.”
“So it's a no?”
“Yes.”
“Wait, I'm confused.”
“Be confused on your own time,” Randy said. “Now move. You're in the way.”
“Intentionally,” Dee said.
“Now, Mr. Laytner.”
“Dee,” Dee said.
“Now, Dee,” Randy said. “Happy?”
“Happy enough,” Dee said. “I'll see you soon.”
Randy wasn't sure if he was happy to hear that or not.
 
“So now you're having lunch with him?”
Randy closed his eyes and leaned back in the uncomfortable chair that faced Rose's desk. This was the meeting from hell. He had just gone in to report the information that Dee had given him, a weapons shipment that would fly into New York early next week. He had details, he had names, he had one pissed off commissioner.
“Apparently,” Randy said tiredly.
“And he's giving you more information,” Rose said icily.
“Yes sir.”
“And what exactly did you give him in exchange?”
Randy's eyes narrowed dangerously.
“I let you get away with a lot sir,” Randy said. “But you're on thin ice.”
“Ryo…”
“When did you start calling me that?” Randy snapped.
“Since he did,” Rose answered through gritted teeth.
“Goddammit,” Randy said lowly. “I've had enough of this. I'm not your toy, I'm not your property, and I'm not going to be anything of yours. If you can't get that, then maybe one of us needs to transfer out of here.”
Rose stared at him and Randy met his eyes unflinchingly.
“You're dismissed,” Rose said softly.
Randy slammed the door on his way out.
 
Randy wiped at his forehead as he slumped down in one of the break room chairs, his eyes tired and his head heavy. He felt a little warm, and he sighed as he realized that he was probably getting sick. Well, he had dropped Bikky off for some school sponsored trip out of town so at least the apartment would be quiet for a couple of days.
“Well you can't really blame the guy,” Drake said as he poured some coffee.
“Yeah Ryo,” Ted agreed. “Your new pal's a known mafia hit man.”
Ryo. It had already spread. It didn't bother him that Drake and Ted were using his name, it didn't even matter that Dee used it. So why had it pissed him off so badly when Rose did? Because Rose was using it just because Dee had. He was doing it because he's a jealous dick. Randy closed his eyes. That voice sounded strangely like Dee's. He sighed quietly.
“Dee Laytner is no friend of mine,” Randy said tiredly. “My shift's over, I'm going home.”
“Yeah, you don't look so good,” Ted commented.
“Thanks for that,” Randy grumbled.
 
Dee was whistling quietly as he strolled into the 27th, smiling at anyone who gawked for too long. He glanced around, his hands resting lightly in his pockets as he frowned a little. He didn't see Ryo anywhere.
“Hey,” Dee kicked Drake Parker's desk lightly to catch the detective's attention and Drake gave him a slightly annoyed look. “Where's Ryo?”
“He--”
“That's none of your business,” Rose said coolly. “Is there something I can help you with Mr. Laytner?”
Dee stared at Rose and the barest brush of a smile pulled at the corners of his mouth.
“I don't think so,” Dee said. “Where's Ryo?”
“It seems to me that if he wanted you to know his whereabouts he'd have told you himself,” Rose said quietly.
“Fine,” Dee said, waving a hand dismissively as he turned to leave. “Play your little games. It's not like I can't find him with three phone calls.”
 
It took two.
 
Randy curled up tighter under the blankets and willed the room to stop spinning. His head hurt, his body hurt, his eyes screamed every time he opened them, and his mind felt like someone had cracked his skull open and poured glass inside. He thought he heard the door open, but he dismissed it as another trick of the heavy fever and wished that he would fall back asleep.
“Hey, Ryo?”
The bed shifted a little and soft cool hands were pressing against his face. His eyes squinted to the barest open slits and he frowned as Dee stared down at him with open concern. The gentle hand began to caress over his face, softly touching as Randy tried to understand what was happening.
“Dee?” he whispered finally.
“You really look sick,” Dee murmured.
Randy's eyes closed again and he swallowed thickly.
“Because I am,” he answered in a soft breath.
“Have you eaten?”
Randy shook his head slightly. “I'm not hungry.”
“What about water?”
He shook his head again and Dee sighed.
“You're not going to get better this way.”
“It's fine.”
“No it's not,” Dee said gently. “You're burning up.”
“I'm cold,” Randy said quietly.
Randy was shivering slightly now, and Dee brushed his fingers up through Randy's soft hair. He lightly kissed Randy's forehead, the deep brown eyes opening a little more to stare at him in confusion. Dee smiled at him and got up. He returned a moment later with some water and another blanket. He sat close to Randy as he drank a little, his hand shaky and his eyes half-lidded and tired. Then Dee climbed under the blankets and pulled Randy into his arms, burrowing close as he wrapped himself around the frail brunette.
“Dee?” Randy whispered softly.
“Just sleep,” Dee murmured as he kissed the back of Randy's head.
His hand petted lightly at Randy's waist, a smooth comforting movement that soon had Randy drifting in quiet peace. He sighed softly.
“What are you doing here?” Randy asked sleepily.
“Taking care of you,” Dee answered and then chuckled slightly. “You have a very big bed, Ryo.”
“It was my parent's,” Randy murmured. “I couldn't throw it out.”
“Oh?”
Randy sighed quietly and shook his head, leaning back into Dee's warm hold. He closed his eyes tightly as a whirlwind of emotions passed through him. He didn't want to think about that now, he just wanted to sleep.
“Get some rest,” Dee said softly as he kissed Randy's temple. “We can talk more later.”
Randy sighed again and his hand slid down to brush over Dee's. Dee shivered at the slight contact and his grip tightened as Randy drifted towards sleep.
“You're so warm,” Randy murmured.
Dee smiled.
“So are you.”
 
Randy awoke to the sound of a soft voice muffled from the living room. His eyes fluttered open and he stretched a little, the room slowly coming into focus. He felt stiff and tired, and his head was still throbbing a little, but he was definitely on the downhill run of this illness. He got up slowly, his legs a little unsteady as he headed for the bedroom door.
The throaty scent of cigarette smoke filled his nose and he frowned slightly as he peered out into the living room. Dee Laytner was sitting on his couch, his expensive suit rumpled, the sleeves rolled up, his hair hanging just as loose and free as it always did. He had a cigarette clamped between his lips and was talking quietly into his cell phone.
“I'll check in later…no, I don't think so…because it's none of your business…Yes, the cop, happy now?...I don't care…I'll let you know…I'll talk to you soon…Bye.”
“Dee?”
Dee looked up with surprise and smiled at Randy.
“You shouldn't be up. Did I wake you?”
Randy shook his head. “What are you doing here?”
Dee chuckled and got to his feet, Randy stepping back a little as Dee moved back to the bedroom doorway. Dee's smile grew and he gently pressed his forehead to Randy's.
“I told you. Taking care of you,” Dee said softly. “I think your fever broke.”
Randy nodded, a very different flush covering his face now as Dee stared down into his eyes. Dee smiled again and his arms looped around Randy's waist.
“You think you're too contagious for a kiss?”
“I think so,” Randy said flatly and pushed him back. “I'm going back to bed.”
“Is that an invitation?”
“No.”