Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
A couple of officers grinned as Dee strolled into the 27th again, the mobster dropping them a quick wink as he headed back towards Randy's desk. He was getting to be a familiar sight now, and a few people actually were willing to make conversation with him now. Of course, Dee kept everything on a strictly polite level; he wasn't going to give these cops anything.
“Hey Dee,” Drake said as Dee passed him. “Ryo's not here.”
Dee paused with a small frown.
“What? Where is he?”
“Interviewing suspects,” Drake said. “You know, being a cop and all he does have work to do.”
“Ha ha,” Dee said. “When's he supposed to be back?”
“Don't know,” Drake said. “It's not like he and the Commissioner left an itinerary.”
“He's out with your Commissioner?” Dee said lowly.
“Yeah,” Drake sighed heavily. “Ryo's last partner retired a couple of months ago and no one's been transferred in yet, so Rose tags along on most of Ryo's assignments.”
Drake's voice dropped suddenly and he leaned closer to Dee.
“Just between you, me, and the wall,” Drake said. “I don't think he's all that interested in Ryo's detecting skills. God knows Ryo's practically oblivious to everything around him. He'll probably wake up in bed with Rose before he figures out what's going on.”
“What?” Dee snapped loudly.
“Calm down,” Drake said boredly. “I'm exaggerating. Rumor is Ryo clocked the Commish a few weeks ago and Rose has been taking the hands off approach since. Of course, that's just the gossip around here.”
“Hey Drake!”
“Ah shit,” Drake grumbled. “Here comes my partner.”
JJ Adams, known sharpshooter and obsessive psychopath, bounced happily up to Drake, his eyes sliding appreciatively over Dee. Dee stared boredly back.
“Hello handsome,” JJ chirped happily. “I'm Detective Adams, please tell me you're our new officer.”
Dee and Drake exchanged a glance and then both howled with laughter.
“Me?” Dee sputtered as he continued to laugh. “A cop?”
“That's…that's…that's the greatest thing I ever heard!” Drake yelled.
“What?” JJ asked with a frown. “Why?”
 
Good God I didn't think I'd ever get rid of him.
Randy swore that he would send flowers to whoever had called Rose with a problem that could only be solved by the commissioner's presence. Things with Rose had always been uncomfortable and weird, but now they were tense and uncomfortable. And weird. He still dropped all of his little hints and suggestive smiles, but there was a new predatory edge to them now, a sense of urgency, like time was running out. Randy didn't like it. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. At least he could finish things on his own now.
His eyes strayed across the street and he suddenly blinked in surprise. This couldn't be happening.
Dee Laytner was standing just outside of his sprawling limo, an elderly nun staring up at him. He was saying something, his eyes locked on her and she shook her head slowly. Randy watched as Dee sighed and smiled then embraced the small woman. She held him, but her eyes were sad when she released him. Dee kissed her forehead, then climbed into his car and pulled away. The nun watched as he left.
Randy hesitated. This wasn't what he was here for. He was on a case dammit, he was supposed to be interviewing people, not…well not interviewing nuns. The detective in him just wouldn't shut up and he found himself heading towards the short woman.
“Excuse me,” he said politely. “I'm Detective MacLean with the 27th precinct. Was that Dee Laytner you were just talking to?”
The old woman jumped and then sighed slightly as she nodded.
“Yes it was,” she said softly.
Randy was quiet and then his voice grew low and gentle.
“Can I ask what you were talking about?”
“The same thing we always talk about,” she said. “He was offering me money, but I won't take it.”
Her eyes swept back to the orphanage behind her and Randy followed her gaze.
“No matter how much we need it.”
“But why…”
Randy's voice faded and the old woman smiled slightly.
“He grew up here,” she said softly. “He's one of mine. I had such high hopes for him, not a life like this.”
“He grew up here?” Randy repeated with surprise.
“I know he's doing his best,” she said. “Crime here has dropped and supplies appear mysteriously when we need them most, but still, it's not right.”
Randy was silent and then brushed back his hair.
“I'm sorry.”
The words took her by surprise and she smiled at him again.
“Thank you. Why don't you come inside? We can have some tea.”
“That sounds nice.”
 
“See?” Randy said as he balanced the ball carefully on the top of his foot. “It just takes practice.”
The circle of kids oo'd and aah'd and Randy laughed as he kicked the ball back up into the air. Somehow he had ended up having several cups of tea with Mother Lane, and by then the children had been flooding off the bus. Randy had been swallowed up in the crowd, the kids dragging him around to see everything. All happily chattering and tugging him into games.
“Hey look,” one boy said as he held up a new basketball. “Dee was here!”
“Whoa,” the other kids said as they appraised the new toy.
“Did he leave anything else?” one of the girls asked.
“He always hides the stuff,” an older boy said. “You have to look for it.”
“Does he come here a lot?” Randy asked, unsure if it was personal or professional curiosity.
“Every couple of weeks,” one answered. “Mother won't let him play with us though. He's a bad influence.”
“He makes Mother sad,” another said and all nodded.
They were silent for a moment and Randy shuffled his feet. Well that had certainly sucked the fun out of everything. He sighed and bounced the ball on his knees, easily popping it up into the air again and again.
“How are you doing that?”
Randy laughed and his attention drifted back to the children and the happy laughter that soon filled the air. In fact, he didn't even notice when the svelte black limousine cruised by again, slowing as Dee stared out in absolute shock.
 
Randy yawned loudly as he opened the apartment door and tossed his keys on the counter.
“Bikky, are you home?”
Silence answered him and Randy collapsed on the couch, one arm thrown over his eyes as he sighed and melted into the cushions. He had spent the morning fending off Rose's advances and interviewing witnesses, then an afternoon of playing with overly energetic children, then an evening of finishing his interviews and sorting out his paperwork. It made for a very long day.
He tugged his tie free, his arm still resting over his eyes as he unbuttoned the top button of his shirt. Randy sighed with relief and then jumped as smooth fingers undid the next button. His arm shot off of his eyes and Dee smiled down at him as he leaned over the back of the couch.
“What…”
Randy started and then shook his head.
“How did you get in here?” he asked angrily.
“Is there something wrong?” Dee asked.
Randy frowned. There was none of the usual playfulness in Dee's voice, just a restrained coldness.
“Of course there's something wrong,” Randy answered as he sat up.
“You don't like me invading your private life?”
“No,” Randy answered.
“But it's okay for you to do it to me?”
“What?”
“I saw you at the orphanage.”
Randy blinked in surprise and sighed heavily as he slumped back into the couch.
“Oh.”
“Oh, indeed,” Dee said lowly as he sat down and lit a cigarette.
Silence stretched out between them and Randy sighed.
“It was a coincidence. I was in the area interviewing suspects and I saw you with Mother Lane. I went over to talk to her and I ended up staying for tea and then I played with the kids for a while. I wasn't there investigating you, I was just… curious. I didn't know you were an orphan, you never said anything.”
“So what now?”
“What do you mean?”
“You think differently of me now? Do you think that explains why I'm…less than legal? You ready to blame Mother for my life?”
Randy's mouth thinned and he shook his head.
“No. She's a great woman.”
“You've got good tastes. And?”
Randy shook his head again.
“And what?”
“And what about me?”
“You're still you.”
Randy looked away as a faint blush spread across his cheeks, strangely annoyed by how embarrassed he suddenly was. Dee's mouth thinned a little and he stared up at the ceiling.
“Dammit,” he said. “And here I thought I had all this righteous anger.”
Randy chuckled quietly and Dee shook his head.
“I'll bet she told you all those stupid stories.”
“Absolutely,” Randy said with a smile.
“That old woman,” Dee grumbled.
“She's worried about you.”
“She worries about everything,” Dee said dismissively and set down his cigarette. “It's just the way she is.”
“Now tell me how you--”
Randy's question was cut off as Dee launched himself forward and pinned Randy back against the couch, his lips pressing hard.
“Wait!”
Ryo's protest was silenced as Dee attacked again, his tongue fitting so perfectly between Ryo's soft lips. Ryo's fingers dug into his shoulders, pushing lightly then just resting there as Dee poured everything into the long languid kiss. He felt Ryo's body quiver beneath him and it made him think of a taunt bowstring just waiting to be released. He shivered at the thought of unleashing that wonderful tension and pressed the kiss deeper. At last Dee pulled back and Ryo stared up at him through dark uncertain eyes.
Dee chuckled quietly and lightly caressed his hand over Randy's neck.
“So how was your day?” Dee asked softly.
“I…I need to make some dinner.”
Then Randy was shoving him off and leaping to his feet, trying to convince himself that he wasn't fleeing to the kitchen but just making a strategic retreat. Dee sighed and picked up his cigarette again.
“Are you going to invite me to stay?” he called.
“Do I have a choice?” the reply drifted back into him and Dee chuckled.
“Not really,” he murmured.
The doorbell rang and Dee got to his feet.
“I'll get it,” he said.
Randy was drying his hands on a towel as he stepped out of the kitchen.
“No, that's alright, I'll--”
Dee opened the door and reveled in the shocked look that spread across Berkeley Rose's face. Dee smiled happily at him and leaned against the doorway.
“Well hello there Commish.”
“What are you…”
Rose's voice faded and he blinked as his mouth hung open.
“Who is it?” Randy asked as he padded towards the door.
“Your illustrious Commissioner,” Dee said as he stepped aside.
“What?”
Rose pushed past Dee and stormed inside, his eyes flashing as he strode angrily up to Randy.
“What is going on here?” he breathed lowly.
“What do you mean?” Randy asked with a small frown.
“What's he doing here?”
“What are you doing here?” Dee asked with amusement. “Most bosses don't make house calls.”
“And most mafia hit men don't camp out in cop's apartments,” Rose snapped.
“Alleged mafia hit men,” Dee corrected.
“You son of a bitch.”
“Get out,” Randy said tiredly. “Now.”
Rose stared at him with disbelief and Randy crossed his arms as he stared angrily.
“Bye,” Dee said chipperly.
“Both of you,” Randy said.
“What?” Dee asked as Rose suddenly looked smug. “Ryo, that's not fair. I was here first.”
“Only because you broke into my apartment,” Randy said as he shook his head and stalked to the door. “What did you think was going to happen? I swear to god I must have done something horrible to have to put up with this!”
He held the door open and stared at them.
“Now,” he repeated.
Dee's mouth thinned and he grabbed his coat.
“Fine,” he said. “But you owe me a meal and I won't forget it.”
“Goodnight,” Randy said crossly.
Rose scowled at Dee's back as he followed the mob man out the door, but he paused then and looked back at Randy through gentle eyes.
“Ryo,” Rose said softly. “I just wanted to check on you.”
“I'm fine sir,” Randy said. “Goodnight.”
Rose smiled at him.
“That's good to hear,” he said. “Goodnight Ryo.”
The door clicked shut behind them and both heard the unmistakable sound of locks sliding into place. Dee sighed and jammed his hands into his pockets.
“You just had to ruin everything, didn't you?”
“Go to hell you insufferable prick,” Rose said flatly.
“Bite me dickhead.”
“Egotistical jackass.”
“Putrid whore.”
 
“Hey Ryo! Open the damn door!”
Randy winced slightly at Bikky's call and quickly undid the extra locks.
“Sorry Bikky, sorry.”
“Jeez Ryo, what? Are you worried about getting mugged?”
“Something like that,” Randy grumbled.
“Have you seen my skates?”
“Yes. I tripped over them this morning.”
“Sorry.”
“I tossed them in your room.”
“Great.”
“Hi Ryo!”
“Hi Carol,” Randy said and leaned down for a quick kiss on the cheek from Bikky's possibly-maybe-someday-girlfriend. “How're you doing?”
“Good, good,” she said happily. “Bikky's taking me to a movie.”
“Oh he is, is he?”
“It's Friday night, my chores are done, and I haven't done anything to get grounded,” Bikky said with exasperation. “Can I go to the movies?”
“Sure,” Randy laughed. “Have a good time.”
“Thanks Ryo,” Bikky said as he pulled on his skates. “You ready Carol?”
“Just waiting on you.”
“Be careful,” Randy called. “And lock the door on your way out.”
“Bye!”
The door slammed shut and Randy stretched out on the couch, a small frown on his face. Now all that food was going to go to waste. He shouldn't have made so much. He sighed and threw his arm back over his eyes as he tried to relax. Wonderful luxurious sleep reached for him and he drifted out into it. A deft hand slid down his chest and undid another button.
“Dammit!” Randy yelled. “That's the second time tonight!”
Dee chuckled as he leaned over the back of the couch.
“Sorry, I just can't help myself. You really sleep hard.”
Randy sighed and sat up, scowling as he re-buttoned his shirt, the dark haired man sitting down next to him. Dee's hand snaked out and caught his wrist, his fingers gently pushing aside Randy's shirt to caress lightly over a pale scar.
“What's this?”
Randy looked down and sighed as his own fingers slid up to run over the wound.
“One of Bikky's friends, Carol…”
“The girlfriend?”
Randy smiled. “The girlfriend, she was in some serious trouble when I first met her. I got her out alright, but I wasn't quite up to outrunning bullets that day.”
Dee smiled softly and then leaned forward and planted a gentle kiss on the small mark. He leaned back and then carefully finished buttoning Randy's shirt, the dark brown eyes watching every movement with curiosity and confusion. Dee's smile grew a little and he sighed.
“So I guess the rumors are true.”
“What rumors?” Randy asked.
“Your boss has a thing for you.”
Dee smiled as a deep blush fanned out over Randy's cheeks. It was simply gorgeous, and he found himself sprawled on top of Randy's surprised body, a small startled sound escaping the detective as Dee kissed him. He thrust his tongue into Ryo's mouth, searching and tasting as Ryo tried to push him off. God something about this man was just addictive. He wanted to kiss him everywhere, to touch him, hold him. The taste of his skin had almost been enough to push Dee over the edge. Dee's mind spun with the possibilities and he pressed his weight down possessively over Ryo's lithe body. He pulled his lips back and stared down into confused dark eyes, a small smile curling at Dee's lips.
“Are the rest of the rumors true?” Dee asked and nipped lightly at Ryo's lips, enjoying the trembling surprise that raced through the body beneath him at every kiss.
“What?” Ryo murmured, his mind spinning under the amazing presence of Dee's kisses.
“Did you hit him for kissing you?”
Ryo blinked and the blush darkened slightly.
“Yes.”
Dee grinned and kissed Ryo again, his lips gentle and searching this time.
“So why don't you hit me?” he asked, his breath caressing over Ryo's face.
“I-I don't know,” Ryo whispered.
Dee's smile grew small and gentle and he brushed back Ryo's soft hair.
“That's alright,” he said softly.
Dee lay down lightly on top of Ryo, holding him close and breathing in his wonderful scent. He smiled happily as Ryo's hands clenched in his shirt then relaxed and simply rested there. Dee held him for a moment longer then carefully untangled himself and grinned at Ryo again.
“So, how about that meal?”