Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 6

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
“Hello, hello,” Dee said brightly as he sat down on Randy's desk, the brown haired detective looking up with a resigned smile.
“Hello Dee.”
“What are you working on?”
“Abuse case,” Randy said. “I was out interviewing all morning.”
“That kind of work probably builds up quite an appetite,” Dee said with a grin.
Randy stared at him, a wave of sadness running over his face before his eyes dropped.
“No, not really,” he said quietly.
Dee swallowed, a heavy ball of sadness and disgust resting in his stomach.
“Wife or kids?” he asked softly.
“Kids,” Randy murmured. “Six year old and a two year old.”
“God,” Dee breathed as he closed his eyes.
Randy nodded slightly and Dee rested his hand on Randy's shoulder, a soft comforting touch, no expectations, no desires, just a nearness. Randy gave him a weak smile and Dee felt his heart lift immediately. He smiled back.
“How about a coffee instead? Or some tea maybe?”
“I can't,” Randy said. “I need to find a locksmith.”
“Why?” Dee asked, his head cocked to one side.
“Because a psychopath has broken into my apartment six times in the last week.”
“More like eight,” Dee said with a devilish grin.
“Dammit Dee,” Randy bristled. “That's not something to be proud of!”
“Really? I thought it was pretty damn impressive.”
“You're such a jackass.”
Dee grinned at him.
“You're beautiful.”
 
He wasn't exactly sure how or when it happened, but his lunches with Dee stopped being `business meetings.' It was rare for either of them to talk about work anymore, but strangely they always had something to talk about. He found himself looking forward to going to lunch with Dee, even planning his day so that he'd be in time to go. Of course, it wasn't great all the time. The mafia man still used every lame trick in the book to steal a kiss when he wasn't paying attention, and pounced on him whenever they were alone.
Despite that, he was glad when Dee just showed up for dinner or nagged him into going out to a bar for a while. He hadn't realized how lonely he had been before Dee came into his life.
The door clicked open and he looked up with a slight frown as his thoughts were interrupted.
“If you break in here one more time I swear to God I'm going to call the cops.”
 
Randy stared straight ahead as he walked down the street, his mind wandering as he moved. Things were becoming complicated, and it was all thanks to a certain dark haired hit man. Randy sighed. Suspected hit man.
“That's him,” a low voice said from a dark car that trailed after Randy. “I'm sure of it.”
“Pull over.”
The car pulled to a halt and a short grey haired man climbed out.
“Detective MacLean?”
Randy turned and frowned slightly.
“Yes?”
“My employer has sent me to pick you up for a brief meeting. If you'll follow me please.”
He gestured back towards the black car and Randy's frown deepened. He could feel that tendril of wariness running up and down his spine, and he knew better than to ignore it.
“And who's your employer?” he asked as he paused, the crowds parting around him as he waited.
“Come with and you'll find out,” the gray haired man answered and his eyes narrowed slightly. “I suggest you do so quietly. You might be able to escape into the crowd, but others would not be so lucky.”
The unmistakable bulge of a gun barrel pressed out from the man's jacket pocket and Randy's eyes swept over the street. His mouth thinned and he nodded curtly as he climbed into the car.
 
Dee whistled as he walked down Randy's hallway, his hands resting in his pockets as he paused outside of the detective's door. He could knock, after all breaking in had gotten him into some trouble. Randy could be damn obnoxious about some things and it seemed breaking the law was one of them.
Imagine that, he thought with a chuckle.
Dee knelt and deftly picked the locks on Randy's door, a slight frown darting across his face as he realized that only one had been engaged. That wasn't like the detective at all. Dee pushed the door open and then hesitated in the doorway. Something didn't feel right.
“Hello?” he called lowly, one hand pulling the gun that he always carried free. “Anybody home?”
Dee moved silently into the apartment, his steps more confident and sure than many battle tested soldiers. He moved easily and his eyes narrowed as he surveyed the ransacked apartment. Something had happened here. Dee's mouth thinned angrily.
Ryo.
 
Dee's teeth were gritted tight as he dialed the cell phone, a cigarette clutched in his lips as he tried to keep himself under control. So far, nothing, but that didn't mean anything. Ryo couldn't just disappear, it wasn't possible, not with Dee's connections. He glanced at the clock. He'd have to handle this now.
“What's up?” a perky voice snapped into his ear.
“Bikky? It's Dee Laytner.”
“Oy, the pervert,” Bikky said boredly. “How in the hell did you get this number?”
“Ryo gave it to me,” Dee lied as he stared down at the address book he had pocketed from Ryo's messy apartment. “He asked me to give you a call.”
“What? Why?” Bikky sounded suspicious.
“He got called out on a case,” Dee said. “He's not going to be around for a while and the problem is that the apartment's not exactly a safe place. You got somewhere you can go or do I need to pick your ass up?”
“Bite me,” Bikky said. “I can manage.”
“Where are you going to go?”
“That's none of your damn business.”
“Ryo will want to know,” Dee ground out.
“Then I'll call him and tell him,” Bikky sang back.
“He…he's not answering his phone right now. You can leave a message for him at the station if you want to do that instead.”
A long moment of silence pressed in his ear and then Bikky sighed.
“Why do I get the feeling you're going to find him before they do?” Bikky said lowly.
Dee flinched slightly but tried to keep his voice normal.
“What do you mean?”
“I'm not stupid,” Bikky said. “I know who you are. I know what you do. If you're calling, something's happened to Ryo and you're trying to figure out what. So listen up, I'll play along, but you better not be behind this. Don't think I can't take care of him you perv. He's the closest thing I've ever had to a real father, and I'd do anything for him.”
“Yeah alright,” Dee said softly. “Just stay out of trouble for a few days and I'll call you when I know anything. Where are you going to go? If you don't have someplace safe--”
“I'll hide out at Carol's,” Bikky said. “If things get rough, I've got friends. I'll be fine.”
The kid hung up.
Dee stared at the phone for a moment and then smiled a little. The boy sure knew how to handle himself, Ryo was doing a good job. Dee dialed again and climbed into the long limousine.
 
“I know he's a busy man,” Dee said, pulling on his most charming smile as he leaned across the young woman's desk and winked at her. “But I really do need to see him.”
She smiled, her eyes sparkling as they met his, one hand running down the length of her uniform as the other pushed her hair back.
“Well,” she said. “I'll tell him you're here…”
“No, don't tell him it's me,” Dee said with another disarming smile. “Just tell him an old friend is here.”
“Alright,” she said. “But you owe me for this.”
“I most certainly do.”
Dee waited as she disappeared into the office behind her for a moment, then emerged and waved him in. He gave her a quick wink as he shut the door behind him, Commissioner Berkeley Rose glancing up and then openly glaring as he continued to talk on the phone.
“It will be taken care of,” Rose said. “Now if you'll excuse me, something pressing has just walked in through the door. Goodbye.”
Rose hung up and his eyes narrowed dangerously.
“What the hell do you want?”
“Ryo,” Dee answered simply.
Rose practically snarled at him.
“He's not here.”
“I know,” Dee said calmly. “He's not at home either.”
Rose's eye twitched slightly but he simply shrugged.
“Weren't you the one who said you could find him in three phone calls?”
“It's been more than twenty and I haven't heard a rumor,” Dee said. “His place has been trashed.”
Rose frowned now and a little concern slid into his eyes.
“What about his son?”
“He's taken care of,” Dee said. “I talked to him, he's going to stay with a friend.”
Rose wiped a hand over his mouth and leaned back in his chair.
“He didn't show up for work today,” he said quietly. “It's not like him.”
“I didn't think it was,” Dee agreed.
A long uncomfortable silence stretched through them and Rose sighed finally.
“I'll check the official channels,” he said lowly.
“Good.”
 
Randy's eyes just didn't want to work right anymore. They'd been hitting him for…God he didn't even know for how long anymore. The gag in his mouth was stained with blood and he felt it rubbing that coppery taste into his tongue with every strike. His arms burned beneath the ropes that bound him to a heavy wooden chair and his breath felt like glass scraping down his throat. He closed his eyes and just tried to think of anything else.
“Alright, that's enough,” a soft voice said. “For now.”
Randy's eyes jerked open again and a deep shudder ran through him. He knew that voice, Terrance Vones, an underworld boss with dark connections. The man had been quietly orchestrating Randy's torture since he had arrived, and the detective was beginning to wonder how much longer Vones would prolong his life with it.
“Now Randy,” Vones said as he pulled the gag free, Randy panting heavily for air. “Tell me exactly why Dee Laytner has been spending so much time with you. What's the Grant family planning? I need to know.”
“I don't know,” Randy croaked.
Vones smiled and gently brushed his hand down Randy's cheek, softly brushing his fingers over the smooth skin.
“We've blacked out one eye,” he said quietly. “It would be a shame to have to do the other.”
“I don't know,” Randy repeated tiredly.
“Just a connection then,” Vones said. “A hook into the police force. That's always convenient.”
Vones' smile shifted, became small and predatory.
“I wonder how they got what they wanted. Laytner's good at whoring his way in for whatever he needs. Is that what you are? Is that what they're using you for?”
He leaned forward and his lips breathed wet warmth over Randy's ear.
“You have such pretty eyes. Whatever the price is for you company, I can double it.”
Vones' hand caressed up through Randy's hair and he jerked his head away with open disgust. Vones' mouth thinned angrily and he slapped Randy hard enough to pour white stars across his vision.
“Better learn how to behave, Detective. I don't care who your family is.”
He pulled the gag back up into place and sighed lowly.
“I've got a meeting. Keep him here. I'll be back later and we can continue.”
“Yes sir.”
Vones left quickly and the man standing next to Randy snorted loudly.
“You've got no idea of what you're in for, pretty boy.”
His fist slammed into Randy's head hard enough to topple the chair and leave him laying in a stunned heap on the floor. The men grunted laughter as they left, Randy's eyes sliding shut as he willingly gave over to unconsciousness.
 
Someone was touching him.
Randy jerked awake as the memory of Vones' light caress brushed over him. A strangled cry escaped him as he tried to pull away, the ropes biting into him again.
“Shhh…”
A hand was pressed over his already gagged mouth and a familiar face filled his blurred vision.
“It's me,” Dee said softly. “Let's get you out of here.”
Randy nodded slightly as Dee cut the ropes and carefully pulled the gag free, Randy laying in a heap on a floor for a moment longer as he tried to catch his breath. Dee pulled him up gently and held him close, his fingers brushing down the dark bruise that covered half of Randy's face.
“Come on.”
 
“I just don't think it's safe for you to go back to your place right now,” Dee said as the limo pulled to a halt outside one of New York's ritzier apartment buildings. “Until we know why Vones--”
“He did it because of you,” Randy said, his voice tired.
He had already explained everything five times, four for Dee and once for Rose. Annoyingly, the Commissioner had agreed that it would be for the best that Randy not go home. Randy looked up at the tall building that loomed over them. If Rose had known where Dee had decided to take him, he might have changed his opinion.
Dee was silent as they climbed out of the car, Randy leaning heavily against it as he struggled to make his legs work. He wasn't sure why it annoyed him so much that he needed Dee just to walk, but it was really pissing him off. The elevator ride was uncomfortable and long as Randy leaned against one of the glass sides and stared blankly out. Dee's mouth thinned and he lit a cigarette as he thought.
It wasn't exactly how he had pictured things. Okay, so maybe he was partially responsible for Vones grabbing Randy, but he had charged in to take him back. Shouldn't there be some kind of gratitude here? Instead, it seemed like the detective was angry with him, and glared at or ignored Dee every chance he got.
Dee led the way to his apartment and opened the door, carefully steering Randy inside. The detective's eyes widened as they wandered over the expensive furniture and tasteful décor. Dee smiled and his hand ran lightly down Randy's back.
“You like it?”
Randy was silent and Dee continued.
“I've developed a taste for the finer things in life.”
His eyes glinted and he pulled Randy close.
“That's you, you know.”
Randy's stare could have broken glass. Dee released him quickly and the detective hobbled to the overstuffed couch, more collapsing into it than sitting down. Dee hurried to the kitchen and returned with some ice, sitting down next to Randy and gently pressing the ice to his split lip.
“I can do that myself,” Randy said and snatched the ice away.
Dee blinked in surprise and then frowned.
“What's wrong?”
He watched a strange flurry of emotions rush over Randy's face, but the detective remained stubbornly silent. Randy's mouth thinned and he stared out of the tall windows that lined Dee's living room. How was he supposed to explain this? Vones' words kept ringing in his ears. Was he really nothing more than a `police contact'? And why should it bother him if he was? Why was he upset that Dee might not have meant any of it, that the mob was just trying to buy his…time? He sighed and shifted the ice to cover the large bruise stretching out from his poor battered eye.
Dee couldn't take it anymore. He pulled Ryo close, his hand caressing over the soft skin of his face, gently skirting around the dark bruises. He held the man tightly, ignoring the short protests that escaped him, and nuzzled against his neck. He just needed to know that Ryo was okay, that nothing had happened to him. God, whatever this man had done to him, it was serious. He was so angry that Ryo had been hurt, and even more than that, he was furious with himself because he had been the cause of it.
“Are you okay?” Dee murmured against Ryo's skin.
“Fine,” Randy answered flatly, the same answer he had been giving Dee since they had reached the safety of Dee's car.
“I…when I couldn't find you, it was like my heart stopped,” Dee murmured.
“Afraid you'd have wasted all your time?”
Dee blinked quickly, his eyes rising to meet Randy's.
“What?”
“Nothing,” Randy muttered. “I'll get a hotel.”
“No,” Dee said firmly and wrapped his arms around Ryo.
“No?” Randy repeated irritably.
“No,” Dee said. “You're safe here, the brat knows how to reach you, and I don't have to worry about you disappearing again.”
“I don't think that's your problem,” Randy said as he tried to pull away.
“It is. I don't want you to get hurt. I want you safe.”
“That's enough!”
“Just stay here.”
“Let go of me!”
“No, never.”
“Look, I get it alright! But it's not going to happen! Ever! I'm not going to give you what you want! I'm not going to tell you anything or…or do…anything! Just go find someone else to use!”
Dee's mouth dropped and he stared at Randy's flushed and angry face. He was dumbfounded. For an instant he didn't move, then he suddenly pulled Ryo as close to him as he could, burying himself against the soft wonderful body.
“I don't want any of that,” Dee whispered as he held Ryo. “I just want you.”
Dee's fingers slid through Ryo's hair, gently caressing through the fine strands.
“I don't know what he told you,” Dee murmured. “It's not true. I would never use you, I would never hurt you. I just want you.”
A faint blush drifted across Ryo's cheeks, lightly brushing over the bruised and bloodied skin. He paused there, caught in Dee's arms, and closed his eyes lightly as he let those words slide into him. Dee released him slowly and carefully took the ice pack from Randy's limp hand. He pressed it to the detective's lips and gently rubbed his fingers over the flat of Randy's palm. Dee waited as Randy sat still and silent next to him, then pulled the ice pack away. Ryo's eyes met his.
Dee leaned forward, his movement slow and cautious, his eyes never leaving Ryo's. Then, his lips brushing over Ryo's, Dee pressed into the kiss and Ryo's eyes slid closed. Ryo's lips were cold, numb, but the soft warm brush of Dee's tongue sparked over them, and carefully parted them. Dee held Ryo gently, careful not to hurt him as he explored every surface in Ryo's mouth. Finally Dee pulled back, those dark brown eyes slowly meeting his again and Dee felt a pang of sadness. Ryo still looked uncertain and hesitant.
Dee smiled softly and brushed back Randy's hair, again raising the ice pack and pressing it back to his face.
“You must be tired,” Dee said softly. “Let's get some rest.”
 
“Let go,” Randy growled.
“Mmm,” Dee whispered. “You feel so good.”
“Dammit Dee, sleep on your own side.”
“It's my bed,” Dee said matter of factly. “Both sides are mine.”
“Then I'll sleep on the couch.”
“Don't be stupid.”
“What?”
Dee chuckled and his arm tightened around Ryo's waist as he kissed the back of the detective's head.
“Just get some rest.”
Randy muttered something angrily and Dee chuckled again.
“Keep squirming and I'll have to tie you down for the night,” he said with a lecherous smile.
Randy became still in his arms.
 
He woke up slowly, his eyes struggling to adjust to the dim room. He could feel Dee's arm wrapped firmly around his waist, a soft puff of breath tickling over the back of his neck. He blushed slightly, confused by how comfortable and safe he felt wrapped up in Dee's arms.
He moved slowly and cautiously until he pulled away, his body creaky and sore as he got to his feet and padded his way to the bathroom. Dee's pajamas were big on him, but they were soft and brushed loosely over his abused body. He shut the door and sighed heavily as he turned to stare at himself in the mirror.
His eye was still dark, the deep bruise running out over his cheek and reaching out with yellow tendril like fingers down over his neck. It looked bad, but the swelling had gone down and he could see clearly now. He brushed his fingers over his face and pushed back his hair, his dark eyes following the movement as he sighed again.
Randy. Ryo. Did it really matter anymore? He leaned forward and rested his forehead against the mirror. It was cool and hard against his skin and he let it calm him for a moment as he thought. Dee meant it. Dee wanted him. Regardless of anything else he could say about the mafia man, he knew that Dee only said what he meant. Dee wanted him.
The problem was, how did he feel? His eyes closed and he sighed again as he thought. He liked having Dee around, despite the annoyances and nervousness, Dee was fun and it was nice to have someone want to be around him as well. He found himself relaxing more and more when Dee was there, and he liked how calm he felt then. He opened his eyes and carefully met his reflection's gaze.
“I don't know,” he murmured finally.
He sighed once more then opened the door, his steps slow and soft as he returned to the bed. He climbed in carefully and stretched out, his muscles still sore and protesting as he closed his eyes. There was a quiet rustling next to him and then Dee was burrowing close, Dee's arm again sliding out around his waist. He blushed again but didn't push Dee away or try to pull free. He closed his eyes again and drifted back to sleep.
 
Dee awoke to the wonderful feeling of a warm body pressed against his, and not just any warm body at that. He smiled as he pulled away from Randy's form and got to his feet, yawning a little as he grabbed his cigarettes and headed towards the kitchen. First things first, nicotine and coffee. He'd figure out the food situation after that.
Dee glanced back at the bedroom and couldn't completely suppress a giddy smile. He had slept so well, so hard and deep. He couldn't remember the last time he had…no, that wasn't true. He knew exactly when he had last slept like that, it had been when Ryo was ill and he had held the detective in his arms. Being close to Ryo just seemed to calm him, to fill him with peace and love, and to make everything else fall away.
On to breakfast.
 
A loud curse awoke Randy the second time. He jerked out of sleep and glanced around the room, his brain struggling to figure out what was going on. There was another curse, and Randy got to his feet and headed out into the apartment.
“Dammit,” Dee hissed as Randy pushed open the kitchen door with a surprised and suddenly amused expression on his face.
Dee was struggling to cook something on the stove, but whatever it had started out as, it was now little more than a pile of smoking remains.
“What are you doing?” Randy asked.
“Oh,” Dee pulled on a quick smile. “You're up. I was making you some breakfast.”
He held the pan out as if to prove it and both looked down at it with a little disbelief. Dee sighed heavily and threw it into the sink.
“Let's order something,” he said with open defeat.
Randy snorted laughter.
 
“Sleep on your side.”
“Has that ever worked before?”
“No.”
“So why would it work tonight?”
“Goddammit.”
 
Dee wished he could think of some way to keep Ryo with him forever. It was wonderful coming home to find the sexy detective waiting for him. Of course, Dee was doing everything in his power to come home as often as he could. He played sick for two days and skipped out on several meetings just so he could return to his apartment and be with Ryo. Unfortunately, he knew that Ryo was beginning to get restless, and Dee wouldn't be able to keep him caged up for much longer.
Dee stared at the brown haired man sitting next to him, Randy's beautiful eyes locked on the TV as the news played. The dark bruises were all but gone, and Dee found himself searching over the smooth skin for the last traces of the injury. Randy's eyes narrowed suddenly and he turned to face Dee.
“What are you thinking?”
“Er, nothing,” Dee said and held his hands out in peace. “I swear.”
Randy gave him a look that told Dee that the detective wasn't fooled for an instant and Dee sighed. Well if he was going to do the time, he might as well do the crime. He grinned then; he'd been planning to anyway. He pounced forward and wrapped his arms around Ryo, kissing him hard and fast before the brown haired man could even really react. Dee pulled back then and stared sadly down.
“We're meeting with Vones tomorrow,” Dee said. “You can go home in the morning.”
Randy blinked in surprise and then nodded a little. Dee sighed and one hand slid up to lightly caress over Ryo's chest.
“You mean so much to me,” Dee said softly.
A light blush fanned over Ryo's cheeks and Dee's hand slid up over his neck to gently frame Ryo's face. Dee stared at him, waiting, his eyes expectant, curious, needy. Ryo stared back, his mouth dropping open, his dark eyes suddenly tinged with uncertainty and fear. A long moment passed and then Ryo's mouth slid shut and he looked away. Dee's mouth thinned and he sighed lightly, his hand sliding down over Ryo's neck again.
“I see,” Dee murmured.
Dee released him and they spent the rest of the evening sitting in uncomfortable silence.
 
That night, as they climbed into bed, the silence remained. Dee sighed heavily, his arms itching to hold onto Ryo, but part of him was sad and hurt. He didn't want to give Ryo up, he wanted him to stay close. But he wanted Ryo to want him, to try and be close to him, why didn't Ryo understand that? Dee sighed again.
Randy's eyes stared up at the blank ceiling and he frowned a little. This was the last night. Tomorrow he'd go home, and things would go back to how they had been. He'd still see Dee, but it, it wouldn't be the same. He waited, expecting Dee to roll over and wrap around him like he had done since the night Randy had arrived, but Dee remained still and silent on the other side of the bed. Randy frowned.
“Dee?” he whispered.
Dee kept his silence, his eyes closed and his breathing slow and heavy. Randy hesitated, one hand reaching out in the darkness, but it froze and dropped feebly away.
“Goodnight Dee.”