Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: In Another Life (pt. 1) ❯ Chapter 7

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh and I'm not making any money from this. This is yaoi and includes adult situations (lemony goodness). Please be forewarned.
 
Randy shuffled around the apartment picking up and throwing things away. Bikky had shown up shortly after school, just to check in and make sure that Randy really was alright. He had yelled bloody murder when he spotted the remnants of the black eye and had sworn to exact his revenge on Dee in the most painful and humiliating manner possible. The boy had taken off shortly afterwards to meet up with Carol and Randy had been left to finish cleaning things up.
He sighed and dropped onto the couch, his expression sad as he stared out the window. Dee had already been gone when he had awakened that morning, and Randy had felt hurt that he didn't get to say goodbye. He stared at his phone and began to dial Dee's number, hanging up after only three numbers had been entered. He tossed the cell aside and threw his arm over his eyes. What was going on with him?
Randy jumped as his phone rang, his eyes blinking open as he picked the cell back up.
“Hello?”
“Ryo?” Drake said.
“Yeah, it's me.”
“Where are you?”
“Home.”
“Good,” Drake said. “Man, you better turn on your TV.”
“What? Why?”
“I'm sorry, I really am. I know he was a good friend of yours.”
“What? Drake, what are you talking about?”
“I'm really sorry.”
Randy stared at the phone and then flipped the TV on, his head cocked to one side as he frowned. It only took a moment before he was fleeing from the building, a terrified expression on his face.
 
The news reported it as an industrial accident initially. An old warehouse had exploded down by the waterfront, the fire soon spreading to two other buildings. Then, as the smoke began to settle, strange rumors began to rise. Not an accident, but a hit, an attempt at wiping out the most powerful members of two of New York's most influential crime families.
Witnesses stated that they had seen Terrance Vones and several members of his entourage enter the building. A few moments passed and they were then joined by several people with known ties to the Grant family, including Dee Laytner. A few minutes later, and…ka-boom as they say.
Charred corpses had been found, and there didn't seem to be any survivors.
Ryo couldn't sit still as the cab sped across town, his dread growing with each ticking second.
 
Dee sighed and leaned back into the couch, a cold beer in one hand and a distant expression on his face. He missed Ryo. If the detective had been there, they'd be sitting down to a gourmet meal by now, a bottle of chilled wine waiting for them. Instead, here Dee was, beer and cold pizza. He wondered if it was too soon to go and see Ryo.
Suddenly the apartment door burst open, and Dee's teeth gritted as he drew his gun and turned. His eyes widened and then blinked rapidly, the gun quickly tossed aside.
“Ryo? What are you--”
Then Ryo was in his arms, everything pressing into Dee, his lips finding Dee's and his arms tightening around him. Dee froze for an instant then gently held Ryo, the kiss stretching out as tears ran down Ryo's face, his hands gripping at Dee's shoulders. At last Ryo pulled back and pressed his face to Dee's chest, still crying against him as he held on.
“They said you were dead,” Ryo murmured. “They said you'd been killed.”
Dee took a deep breath and ran his hands up and down Ryo's back.
“It's alright,” he whispered and kissed the top of Ryo's head. “I'm fine.”
He could feel Ryo shaking beneath his touch and Dee gently pulled him up until they were stretched out on the couch, Ryo resting lightly on top of him. Dee's hands continued to run up and down his back, his words soft and soothing as Ryo stilled beneath his touch.
“What happened?” Dee asked finally.
Ryo shook his head and sighed lightly across Dee.
“An explosion,” Ryo said, his arms still wrapped around Dee. “They said you were there.”
“What?”
“It was on the news,” Ryo buried his face back against Dee and breathed him in, his arms tightening to prove that Dee was real and there with him. “God, I…I don't ever…”
He shook his head and then lay there, his hold still warm and tight around Dee. Dee blinked in surprise then softly smiled and ran his hand through Ryo's hair.
“I'm fine,” he whispered.
Dee's hand slid down and gently lifted Ryo's face, framing the soft pale skin perfectly. Ryo stared at him through dark deep eyes, and within them Dee saw something new, something that he had always missed before. And suddenly he was more than fine.
“I'm great,” Dee said with a small grin and pulled Ryo forward.
Ryo didn't protest or pull away, his eyes simply slid closed as their lips met. It was a slow kiss, soft and gentle as Dee's hand slid to the back of Ryo's neck, lightly caressing as Ryo leaned into the feel of Dee's kiss. They pulled apart slowly and Dee hugged Ryo tightly, smiling again as he watched a fresh dark blush run across the detective's face.
“You want to stay the night?”
The blush darkened and Dee chuckled quietly.
“Perfect gentleman, I swear.”
Ryo frowned skeptically and Dee laughed.
“Alright, maybe not perfect…”
 
“So he wasn't even there?” Ted said with surprise.
Randy shrugged. “Witness must have been mistaken.”
“I doubt that.”
Drake, Randy, and Ted all turned as Rose stepped into the room, his eyes a narrow glare as he stared at Randy.
“Did it ever occur to you that he might be lying?”
Randy blinked and stared blankly back. Dee? Lie to him? Rose snorted.
“Of course it didn't,” the Commissioner said icily. “You're too trusting.”
 
Dee's appearance around town after his reported death had left more than a few people shocked and open mouthed. They were still trying to figure out what had happened, but it seemed that Vones and his top men were genuinely dead. No one from the Grant organization was missing. Dee sighed and wondered what exactly was coming.
Someone had wanted to get rid of Vones, something that wasn't overly surprising considering the man's past business moves. The problem was someone had taken advantage of the common knowledge that he had been planning to meet with Leo on the day of the explosion. Now everyone was looking a little too closely at the Grant family. This did not bode well.
Dee sighed and stared forlornly down at his drink. Of course, that wasn't the most pressing issue on his mind right now. It just wasn't fair. Why couldn't Ryo send him some clear signals? One minute the detective was clinging to him, kissing him with enough heat to make Dee's head blur, and then the next he was practically throwing Dee across the room when Dee's hand accidentally brushed over his thigh.
Okay…
So maybe it hadn't been entirely accidental, but still, the reaction was a little extreme.
“You look down.”
Dee glanced over as Leo Grant sat down next to him, the mafia boss's eyes tired and cool as he ordered a drink. Dee shrugged and slumped against the bar.
“I guess,” he answered.
“Cop problems?”
“You don't know the half of it,” Dee said wryly. “Where've you been?”
“Just tying up loose ends,” Leo said flatly.
They drank in silence for a moment and then Leo sighed.
“We're meeting with them in two weeks.”
“Who?” Dee asked with a frown.
“Whoever took care of Vones,” Leo said. “They want a meeting to discuss what happens next.”
“Shit,” Dee said. “I feel a set-up.”
“I thought you would,” Leo said boredly. “You've got good instincts, always have, so how do we want to run this?”
 
Randy stared at the bullet riddled bodies. He just couldn't seem to bring himself to look away, it was too familiar. Distant memories played through his mind and his hands clenched into light fists as he struggled to keep himself under control. He knew this, it was time, it was finally time…
“Detective?” Diana Spacey gently rested her hand on Randy's shoulder. “Are you okay?”
“Yes,” he said and quickly pulled on a fake smile. “Fine.”
 
The work that followed progressed faster than Diana Spacey could have even guessed. Before she even had the chance to talk Rose into removing Randy from the case he was on his way to Sam Horson's apartment. It was amazing what a driven man could accomplish when he didn't have a concerned partner to keep up appearances for.
Leo's cell phone rang and he frowned slightly as he answered it, Dee again sitting next to him as they finished up a business dinner. The conversation was short, and Leo's frown only darkened as he hung up.
“I've got an errand,” Leo said. “You want to come?”
Dee glanced out the window at the rain and scowled.
“Do I have a choice?”
“Not if you want to keep your job.”
Dee chuckled; he liked that about Leo, it was impossible to tell when he was kidding and when he was dead serious.
“Lead on, oh fearless leader.”
 
Randy couldn't breathe. Sam Horson's words echoed through his mind. His parents were innocent. It had all been a mistake, and Leo had helped kill them. He blinked thickly, this couldn't be happening. He crouched in the rain, his fingers cold and stiff, everything in him shivering. Then the gunshots filled the air and Randy practically dove in the bullet's path to save his only witness.
“Freeze! Hold it right there!”
Randy's gun didn't waver as he aimed it at Leo, the mafia man simply waving off the two body guards that stood at his side. There was startled movement in Leo's car, but Randy wasn't paying attention, he was crouching over Sam, checking his vitals and cursing silently as he realized the man was dead.
“I've seen you before, haven't I?” Leo smiled slightly. “Ahh, I see. You must be the one Sam was talking about. The boy from ten years ago. You've grown quite a bit, haven't you? I almost didn't recognize you.”
Randy bit back on an angry growl and leveled his gun back at Leo.
“Put your hands on your head and turn around. You're under arrest for murder.”
“The Hell we are!” one of the armed men yelled.
“Didn't I tell the two of you to stay back?”
“But sir--”
“Why don't you two go wait in the car?”
Randy's mouth thinned as he watched the two men get in the car, Leo ignoring him until the doors were closed again. Then the gangster sighed quietly and turned back to Randy.
“I doubt you have what it takes to send me anywhere but home kid.”
“What?” Randy said lowly.
“Even if Sam were alive, it wouldn't have made a difference. My boss knows a lot of people. He's got a lot of say in a lot of things—and a lot of money to back himself up. Besides, the boss needs me.”
Randy felt a deep tremor of anger and fear ripple through him. What if Leo was right? What if this was all for nothing?
“So it would probably be in your best interest to shoot me now.”
The words hung dead in the air and for an instant Randy was completely dumbfounded. Then he shook his head and sighted down his gun again.
“What did you just say?”
“You came here to kill me, didn't you? So go ahead and do it. If you shoot me now, I'll be dead. Gone. But if you arrest me,” Leo smiled slightly and then his face became cold and empty. “I'll live.”
Randy swallowed, his hands trembling now. His parents. This was their killer, this was the man who had ruined his life. This was it. This was the one moment…
“Well? What's the matter? Don't be shy. Just shoot me, wimp. You've got a good reason. You heard what Sam said, right? About what we did?”
Now Leo leaned forward, his eyes flashing as he goaded Randy on.
“He's right you now,” Leo's voice dropped to a bare whisper. “It was us. We killed your parents.”
The sound that escaped Ryo was something between a roar of absolute rage and a scream of sorrow. His soul was ripping apart at the seams, and he couldn't seem to make anything clear. This was the man. This was the moment, so why was he hesitating.
“That's enough.”
Ryo jerked back to reality at the sound of Dee's soft voice, his gun pressed lightly to the back of Leo's head. The bodyguards were back out of the car now, both aiming at Dee with narrowed eyes.
“Back in the car,” Leo said, and again waited until the men retreated into the car before he spoke again. “Dee, what are you doing?”
“Whatever I have to,” Dee said softly.
Ryo blinked slowly and his gun drooped, his mouth moving silently as he stared at Dee.
“You're not going to shoot me,” Leo said and it wasn't a question, just a simple flat statement.
“Not if you don't make me,” Dee said and sighed as he pulled his gun away. “Jesus Leo, what were you thinking? Don't fucking push someone like that. What if he had pulled the trigger?”
A wave of sadness washed over Leo's face and he shook his head.
“He deserves to,” Leo said softly and rested his hand on Dee's shoulder. “No one will hear about this and nothing will come from it. I'll see you tomorrow.”
Dee nodded slightly and Leo glanced back at the detective standing forlornly in the rain, his pain open in his eyes.
“He's the one, isn't he?”
Dee nodded again. “He is.”
Leo glanced between them for a moment longer then climbed back into his car.
“Cop troubles,” he muttered and then nodded to Dee once more before he closed the door and drove away.
Ryo dropped to the ground, his gun slipping from fingers that didn't want to work. He couldn't breathe. Then Dee was holding him, pulling him close, the heat from Dee's skin burning against him in the rain.
“They killed them,” Ryo whispered. “They killed my parents.”
Dee closed his eyes and ran his fingers through Ryo's hair.
“I'm sorry,” he breathed.
Suddenly Ryo tensed in his arms and shoved him back.
“Did you know?” he asked, his eyes grating painfully against Dee.
“No,” Dee said firmly. “I didn't.”
Ryo stared at him a moment longer, then the detective seemed to just crumble apart. He sobbed in the rain, his fist slamming into the cold pavement.
“Dammit! Goddammit!”
“Stop it,” Dee said and pulled Ryo back into his arms.
“Why? Goddammit, why?” Ryo pleaded against Dee's neck. “Why couldn't I?”
Dee closed his eyes and held him in the rain.
“Ryo.”
 
“Come on in,” Dee said softly. “I left the heat on this morning, thank God.”
Ryo followed him silently, his eyes empty and still as he shut the door behind them. Dee glanced back, uncertain of what to say and even less sure if there was anything he could do to help Ryo.
“I'll…I'll find you something dry to wear, okay? Maybe you should call Bikky and let him know that you're alright. The kid tends to worry and you don't look like you've been sleeping lately, I'm sure he's noticed.”
Ryo was still silent and Dee sighed as he headed into the bedroom, soft footsteps telling him that Ryo was following.
“Here,” Dee said as he pulled out some clean clothing. “You can--”
Then Ryo's lips were over his, his fingers knotted in Dee's shirt as he pulled him close, leaning into Dee, almost as if he were trying to climb inside of Dee. Dee jumped with surprise as Ryo's mouth pressed against his, the movement cold and robotic, his touch as empty and dead as his eyes. Dee finally pushed him back, panting heavily as Ryo stared blankly at the floor.
“What are you doing?” Dee asked shakily. “This isn't like you.”
“You can do it if you want to,” Ryo said, his tone empty but light. “I…right now, I wouldn't care. That's what you want, right? It's fine if you do.”
Dee's jaw dropped and he stared at Ryo with open disbelief. He felt a heavy stirring inside of him, a desire and a craving that screamed to be filled. He wanted Ryo, he wanted him so badly he could taste it. Dee closed his eyes. Not like this. A bitter laugh escaped him and he backhanded Ryo, hard. A little life sparked back into the detective's eyes and Dee glared at him.
“That's enough,” Dee snapped.
Ryo was trembling again, his eyes blinking thickly as he stared at Dee. Dee's eyes softened and he pulled Ryo close, his hands running up and down Ryo's back.
“That's enough,” Dee repeated, his voice soft now. “I don't…not like this Ryo.”
Dee rocked him gently, his hand running through Ryo's hair as a fresh stream of tears slid down Ryo's cheeks.
“I love you too much,” Dee whispered.
Ryo's eyes closed and he bit back on a soft sob as his fingers clenched at Dee's shirt. He just didn't want to feel right now. He wanted it all to stop. He didn't care, Dee wouldn't be using him, he'd be using Dee. Ryo's hands tightened. No, that wasn't what he wanted at all. He didn't want to use Dee. He…he cared about Dee.
Dee's hand brushed through his hair and gently framed his face.
“I love you so much,” Dee breathed.
 
That night Ryo didn't even put up the pretense of fighting against Dee's arms. He curled up in Dee's hold, leaned into him, pressed himself into Dee's arms. He felt warm there, and protected. He didn't want it to stop. Dee's hand traced down through Ryo's hair and he gently kissed Ryo's forehead.
“Ah Ryo,” Dee said softly and then chuckled. “Don't ever tempt me like that again.”
“What?” Ryo murmured sleepily as he took a deep breath.
“I said you're too damn sexy to offer something like that.”
Ryo stared up at him through dark eyes and Dee's smile became a wolfish smirk.
“Of course, if you asked me again, really asked me, I'd be more than ready.”
“W-what?” Ryo asked shakily, now wide awake.
Dee's embrace tightened, his hands sliding down over Ryo's body.
“What? Dee! What are you doing?”
“It took everything I had to say no to you,” Dee breathed and leaned closer.
“Wait! Dee! No, no, no!”
“Come on, just a little?”
“Dee!”
Dee chuckled again and lay back down, his hand stroking lightly at Ryo's waist as he held him close. He sighed and pressed his face into Ryo's hair.
“Goodnight Ryo,” Dee said softly.
Ryo smiled slightly then pulled away from Dee a little to face him. Dee stared at him quizzically and Ryo's smile softened as he leaned forward and lightly pecked Dee's cheek.
“Goodnight,” he whispered and lay back down.
Dee lay awake in the dark for a long time. That small kiss, that light peck, that had more of Ryo in it than the deep empty kiss earlier. Just thinking about it sent shivers down his spine and a smile to his lips.