Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Echoes of Insanity ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: Still don't own.

Warnings: See Prologue

*words* = Thoughts or Flashback, *~*~*~*~* = POV/Scene change

Again, much thanks to my beta readers. Review responses are below.

Chapter 4: "Echoes of Insanity"

De woke up from his nap feeling quite content, relaxing in the comforting feeling of that body pressed up against his own. He looked down at the top of that head of brown hair and smiled, bringing up his hand to play with sleep-tousled strands. As the minutes stretched out, however, Dee had to consciously wrestle down the anxiety that was trying to grow in his mind. He didn't know if he'd ever be able to watch Ryo sleep again without that little voice wondering if he would wake up, or if he was going to have a relapse. Dee forced himself to ignore his doubts. Ryo had been through a lot and needed his rest. The more rest he got, the sooner he would be better, and the sooner he was better the sooner he could come home.

That pleasant line of thought was interrupted as he felt Ryo start to shudder in his arms. Dee looked down and saw that older man was obviously in the throes of a nightmare, his hands spasming to clench and release Dee's shirt. Ryo didn't make any noise beyond his harsh breathing, but whatever visions were playing out before him were obviously painful. Dee pulled him closer in his arms and began speaking soothing words, trying to reassure his lover. Ryo first seemed to fight the embrace, then relaxed into it, ceasing his struggles once more. After a few more minutes he opened his eyes.

Ryo shook his head trying to clear away some of the cobwebs left behind from his dreams. He knew he'd been having a nightmare, but the details were quickly fading. Coming to a realization of his position, wrapped in the arms of the one he loved, he smiled and turned his head to look up at that handsome face. "Mmmmm. This is nice. Always wanna wake up like this." Ryo felt a chuckle rumble through the chest beneath his cheek. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing much. Just that you read my mind. I always want to wake up with you in my arms." Dee lifted his wrist and looked at his watch. "Wow, we had a nice little nap. We'd better get you presentable, the brat should be here soon."

Ryo scowled. "He's hardly a brat, Dee. Bikky's 18 now."

"I know, I know. Just force of habit. But seriously, I left a message on his machine, so I'm sure he'll grab Carol and come right over. So let's get you together. But first…" Dee let his voice trail off as he lowered his face to Ryo's for soft, tender kiss. Breaking it off, he whispered, "You have no idea how much I've missed doing that."

Ryo couldn't help the look of guilt that flashed across his face. "I know. I'm sorry, Dee. I should have been more careful. I should…"

He was cut off the Dee's finger on his lips. "Enough of that. It wasn't your fault. And you're here now, that's the important thing. Sheesh, enough sap, Ryo. I'll ruin my image if I keep this up." Dee smirked. Hopping off the bed, he reached down and adjusted the bed so Ryo could set up more comfortably. As the sandy-haired man settled himself into a comfortable position, Dee pulled the covers up to his waist, knowing what little privacy those damn hospital gowns gave. Just as he was finishing in making his lover comfortable, the door opened.

A blonde head poked in, quickly followed by the rest of the 18-year-old's body. He rushed over to the bed when he saw that those brown eyes were open and awake. "Ryo!" He wrapped his arms around his guardian. In his relief, he dropped his usual tough-guy exterior. "Shit, Ryo, I was so worried about you!"

"It's okay, Bikky. I'm sorry I worried you." Ryo returned the enthusiastic hug. Looking up, he caught sight of Carol, who had followed Bikky into the room. "Hi, Carol. Thank you for coming to visit." He held out one arms in invitation, and she crossed over to the other side of the bed to be drawn into his embrace. After a few moments of this group hugging, Bikky and Carol pulled up chairs next to the bed. They chatted about inconsequential things, Bikky and Carol's schooling mostly. The kept things light, trying to maintain a sense of normalcy, and trying to ignore the fact that they were still in a hospital.

After over an hour of this, Ryo let out a yawn. "Damn. All of the sleeping I just did, you'd think I wouldn't need to sleep again until I'm dead, but here I am yawning my head off." Ryo's face crumbled and he felt tears welling up in his eyes. "Shit. I'm sorry. I'm not very good company am I? I'm sorry for all this," he sobbed.

Dee immediately got up and took Ryo in his arms. "It's okay, babe. You've been through a lot. We understand, don't we?"

Those words seemed to pull Bikky and Carol out of their state of shock. "Yeah, man, it's all good. I should probably get home anyway, I got homework to do."

Carol smiled over at Ryo, standing up as she spoke. "You get some rest, Ryo, so you can get out of here. Because once you're up for it, I really want you to show me how you make that killer spaghetti of yours." She gave Ryo a brief hug and then moved aside for Bikky.

"Alright, Ryo, don't let the pervert get out of hand. We've got to get going." He gave the older man a hug and stood back next to Carol.

Dee had stayed right by Ryo's side since the sandy-haired man had started crying. "I'm gonna walk them down to the elevator, then I'll be right back, okay babe?"

"'Kay, Dee. See you guys later." Ryo offered a small smile to the young couple.

With that, Dee, Bikky, and Carol exited the room and walked towards the elevators. Before they got there, though, Bikky turned and confronted Dee. "What the hell was that all about, man? Why's he acting all spacey?"

"Bikky, he just woke up and found out he's missed out on four months. I'm surprised he isn't more emotional. I know I'd be a freakin' basket case if I were him." Dee used the same argument he had been telling himself all day. "Listen, you okay to get home? You got money for the subway?"

"Yeah, man, we're fine. Just… Call if anything changes, okay?"

"Will do. Catch you two later." With that, Dee left them at the elevators and turned to go back to Ryo's room.

The next few hours passed uneventfully. Dee sat with Ryo, and they talked, helping Ryo catch up with current events. Dee grumbled about his temporary partner. "She drives me nuts, Ryo. She's so stuck on protocol, completely inflexible. She and Rose get along great, of course."

Ryo's mouth twisted into a scowl at the mention of the commissioner's name. "You don't think he'll feel the need to stop by, will he? I hate dealing with him. He's such an ass."

"I hope not. But, tell you what, I'll tell him you shouldn't have company, and ask the nurses to tell him too. Then you can kick him out if he does come by."

"Thanks. That would be great."

This kept up until the time came for Dee to leave. He looked up as the nurse opened the door and looked in, telling him that visiting hours had ended. Looking back over to the fact of the man he loved, he saw worry written on those features. "It's gonna be okay, Ryo. I promise. I'll be back tomorrow after work. I'll bring you some CD's and a few books, so you don't get bored, okay?" He leaned down and gave him a soft kiss goodnight. "Sleep well, hun. I'm gonna go dream about you, you know."

"You'll come by tomorrow?" Ryo asked, his eyes worried.

"I haven't missed a day yet, and I'm not gonna start now. Get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow, I promise." With that, Dee took his leave for the night.

*~*~*~*~*

Once he got home, Dee ate the fast food he'd picked up without really tasting it. Cleaning up, he walked into the bedroom. Pulling a gym bag from the closet, he decided to get clothes together for when Ryo was ready to come home. He knew it would be a little while yet, as there were tests to run and therapy to begin, but it gave him something to do, and helped keep him in a positive frame of mind. He then went to the bookcase in the living room and tried to figure out which of Ryo's books to take in for him. The half-Japanese man had quite a collection of literature, from classics to modern. Dee finally ended up picking two at random, grabbing The Art of War and Skinny Legs and All. Music was easier: lots of jazz and some of Ryo's classical CD's. These, along with the portable CD player went alongside the bag with his clothes.

Having done as much as he could, Dee finally decided to get ready for bed. Turning out the lights as he went into the bedroom, he went through the nightly ritual of preparing for sleep. Finally, walking over and looking down at the large bed, he was struck by just how empty it was. Having been able to cuddle, even if it was in that uncomfortable hospital bed, made sleeping alone that much harder. Sighing, he knelt down beside the bed, bowing his head and clasping his hands to pray.

"God… Thank you. Thank you. Whatever else, I know that Ryo and I can make it through now that he's back and we're together again. Thank you…" Dee felt tears run down his cheeks again as he gave in to the feeling of relief sweeping through him. He knelt for a few moments more, just letting the whole day's events wash over him. He then climbed into bed and fell into a deep slumber.

*~*~*~*~*

A little way across town, Ryo wasn't faring quite so well. He really didn't want to go to sleep. After Dee had left he'd sat and watched television for a while, flipping through channels until he found a station playing old movies. He'd been able to lose himself along with the characters on screen, despite having seen the movie before, and knowing how it ended. As the credits began, Ryo had found himself yawning and his eyes drooping. But, like a willful child, he struggled to stay awake. Now, though, he realized he should roll over and let sleep claim him. He needed rest so he could get out of this hospital and back home where he belonged.

Ryo let himself drift off to sleep, already anticipating seeing Dee again the next day. Drifting deeper into slumber, he began to shiver. Cold. He was so cold. Chaotic images swirled out of the darkness around him, not staying long enough to make sense, just increasing his confusion and fear. Lost. Where was he? Alone. Afraid. Painful thoughts and memories overcame him. He mind screamed a mantra of *Help me Help me Helpmehelpmehelpme!*

He jerked from his nightmares to find himself being held down by several nurses and orderlies. His throat felt raw, as if he'd been yelling. "Wha? What's going on?"

"You were screaming, Mr. McLean, and thrashing around." The nurse on his right side tried to explain to him. "We had to restrain you to keep you from hurting yourself."

"Oh," he said in a small voice.

The nurse tried to keep her voice gentle as she went on. "And, as we can't have someone stand around watching you all night, we're going to have to keep you restrained for your own safety. Do you understand, Mr. McLean?"

"Oh," he repeated again. "Yeah, I understand." He lowered his eyes, feeling ashamed at his lack of control, and lay passively as the padded leather was fastened around his wrists. The nurse then readjusted the covers, tucking him back in. "Try to get some more sleep, Mr. McLean. We'll get these off in the morning."

Ryo sighed and closed his eyes, tears dripping down as he drifted back into a restless sleep.

*~*~*~*~*

TBC.

AN: Not sure I like how this chapter turned out, but there it is. Um, well, nothing else to add except: reviews are always welcome and see you next week. Ja ne.

Review responses:

First, welcome back to my returning reviewers, and welcome to my new reviewers! You people make it all worthwhile.

the random queen: Truth is, some of this is based on what happened to a friend of mine who actually was in a car wreck and coma for about a month. And I agree, I'd freak and start breaking stuff too.

Devil666sc: "Be nice"? Why start now? ((evil grin))

The Bard's Apprentice: Thanks! Here's the latest.

Kitty in the Box: Ano, I'm not sure that Ryo's gonna be "just fine." Well, physically he will, that I can definitely say. But remember, Dee only told Ryo what he knew was wrong with him, and Dee doesn't know everything yet. Yes, I am truly evil and a spawn of darkness. ^.^

firgodes7: Well, now you know what happens in the next chapter. Now for: how's Dee gonna react when he sees the restraints on Ryo's bed?

ShadowPassinThru: Dee is a sweetie, in my opinion. He just feels the need to act like a horndog.

Darkess: Well, I hope your head's a little better now. Screaming voices are not fun. I know, my muse screamed a fit until I agreed to actually write this thing.

Chantrea Johari: Thank you. I hope you enjoyed this update as well.

Okay, later all!