Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Special Gifts ❯ Merry Christmas! ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Fake.


Special Gifts - Part One:
Merry Christmas!
By Icewind





The doors to the station burst open, letting in a chill blast of air and a snow-covered Dee. He sneezed, the unexpected force of it catching him off guard and causing him to drop his case files onto the wet tiled floor. Grimacing, he snatched the damp folder in his hands and continued down a narrow hallway through the 27th precinct.

"DEE-SEMPAI!!"

'Shit,' he thought. 'This night just can't get any worse.' His eyes darted around the area for a possible escape route before JJ caught up to him. He dashed around a corner only to be caught in a dead end. Trapped.

"Merry Christmas!" Dee cringed as he felt the weight of the younger detective pounce on him from behind. Infuriated, he clenched his teeth as he began one of his mundane tasks of peeling JJ away from his body.

"That's tomorrow, JJ. Now get the hell of me!"

"I got you a present, Sempai." JJ squeezed Dee even harder, ignoring the shouts and curse words coming from the man in his arms. "Please, you gotta let me give it to you!"

The struggle continued on, JJ refusing to let go of a disgruntled Dee unless the man accepted his gift. Dee pushed and pulled, kicked and yelled, but his efforts were fruitless when matched against a grasping, energetic JJ. Deciding nothing short of a crowbar would release the death-like grip around his waist, Dee grudgingly willed himself to calm down and accept the gift.

"Fine! What the hell is it?"

JJ smiled, his grin spreading from ear to ear and his eyes sparkling with adoration. When he took an odd looking plant from the pocket of his jacket and raised it above Dee's head, Dee stared in confusion.

"Mistletoe!" And before Dee knew what was happening, JJ flung his arms around Dee's neck, crushing his lips against his own. Dee's eyes widened in resolute terror when he felt a tongue probing its way past his lips, and began struggling wildly in JJ's grasp. He grabbed a handful of platinum silver-blond hair and tugged on it forcefully.

"Ow!" JJ wailed, finally releasing a startled Dee when both of his hands went to soothe the spot where his hair had been pulled. A few strands of Dee's own hair stood on end as he pointed an accusing finger at JJ.

"Why you sneaking little! How many times do I have to tell you! These lips are reserved for one guy only. And it isn't you!" JJ folded his arms and tilted his head thoughtfully.

"No need to be Mr. Scrooge, Dee. It was just my gift." A mischievous smile stretched across his handsome face on his next words, "I know you liked it, but don't worry I won't tell Ryo. Merry Christmas!" And with that, satisfied, JJ continued on his way, leaving a gaping Dee in the hallway.

'Liked it?!' Dee was so taken back by that statement he couldn't even work his mouth at first. It took him a full five seconds to recover, by which time JJ had left. "I swear he must get his kicks out of pissing me off!"






Dee slammed the door to the office he now shared with Ryo and dumped the case folder in a nearby drawer. He sighed in disgust at the large stack of papers that sat on his desk waiting to be reviewed.

'First thing tomorrow,' he told himself before gathering up his things and calling it a night. He hated the nightshift with a passion and couldn't remember how he got stuck on one on Christmas Eve of all nights. He mentally kicked himself for not doing the smart thing and booked the night off months ago, like Ryo. At the thought of his partner he smiled. It seemed things were working out very much like the first time he and Ryo spent Christmas Eve together. They were split up, much like this night, and Ryo had ended up alone in his apartment. Dee grinned at the fond memory of the short time they spent together... before Ryo had fallen asleep. He snorted. Now that they were an item he would need to be sure the same thing doesn't happen again tonight.

"Working late, Laytner?"

The familiar low voice rattled on his nerve as he locked up before exiting the office. Just when he thought the night couldn't get any worse than a run-in with JJ...

"Actually, I got off earlier than expected." Dee turned to meet the smirking eyes of the Commissioner. Berkeley waved nonchalantly towards the pile of papers sitting on Dee's desk in the office.

"Seems you still have quite a lot to do."

"It's nothing I can't handle on my next shift, sir," Dee replied coolly. There was a sharp edge behind his voice. He couldn't help it; he just didn't like the guy. Not to mention he wasn't in the best of moods at the moment. Hearing the ice behind Dee's words, Berkeley chuckled softly.

"Easy, Laytner. I just wanted you to pass on this gift to Ryo." He handed a small gift-wrapped box to Dee who in turn looked at it quizzically.

"What the hell are you doing giving gifts to my partner?" Dee blurted out. Berkeley snorted.

"Contrary to what you may think, I do consider Ryo as a friend. Although I'm still not sure what to make of you."

"The feeling's mutual." Dee stared at the small box and couldn't help but wonder what Berkeley would possibly want to give Ryo. The very fact that Rose seemed so at ease with buying gifts for his lover while Dee himself still felt unsure of what to get Ryo, irritated Dee to no end. He felt a strong urge to toss the package in the trash.

"Just make sure that Ryo gets it, Laytner. I'd hate for it to wind up in the trash," Berkeley added as if reading Dee's mind. Sighing, Dee shoved the small box in the pocket of his trench coat and brushed past the Commissioner.

"Whatever," he murmured beneath his breath.