Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Special Gifts ❯ Advice ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Special Gifts - Part Two
Advice
By Icewind





Dee was once again greeted by the snowfall on his way out of the precinct, much to his annoyance. What amused him was the rather loud profanity being echoed throughout the parking lot behind the station. Grinning, he made his way to the direction of the voice he now recognized as Drake's. By the sound of things the blond wasn't in the best of moods himself.

"What the hell do you mean you can't find him?! He's got to be somewhere in the station!" Dee grinned as he watched Drake stare at the cell phone with a menacing glare as if he could see right through it to the person on the other end. He leaned against a nearby light-post and waited facetiously for him to finish up the conversation. After a few moments followed by a string of more profanity, Drake clicked 'end' on the cell and shoved it in his pocket.

"Care to share what's the big emergency?" He nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of Dee's voice behind him. He turned to see the dark-haired detective propped against a lamppost, casually smoking a cigarette.

"How long have you been there?" Dee shrugged.

"Long enough. Need a light?" He fished out a lighter from his pocket and handed it to Drake who turned seemed grateful.

"Yeah, thanks." Lighting his own cig, Drake took a long drag before letting it out slowly. He sighed and leaned against his car.

"So what's the problem?" Dee asked out of genuine concern and curiosity. Drake eyed him, suspicious.

"Um well." He glanced inside the vehicle and then at Dee again. "I locked my keys in my car." Dee nearly choked on his own cigarette as he burst out laughing. Drake frowned. "Hey, it's not funny! It's Christmas Eve for few more hours and I'm stuck here! The locksmith is no where to be found!"

"Don't you carry an extra pair?"

"Well, yeah but I don't have them with me today." Drake's frown deepened as Dee unsuccessfully tried to stifle his laughter. "It was a simple mistake, it's not that hilarious."

"I know. Can't help myself." Dee's amusement died all together at the sullen look on Drake's face. "Why do I get the feeling that something else is going on?" Drake blinked and smoothed his fingers through damp locks of hair.

"Well it's JJ." At the sound of the name Dee instinctively stiffened, as if the silver-haired sniper would jump out of a dark corner at any moment to glomp him. Drake smiled at the reaction. "Don't worry, he's still inside the station."

"Yeah, I guess. Still I can't be too careful." In spite of his words Dee seemed to relax again. Drake shot him an odd look.

"You know he's not that bad once you get to know him." Dee stared at him in disbelief.

"That's easy for you to say! The guy isn't constantly pouncing on you and confessing his undying love." Drake opened his mouth as if he were about to admit something but thought against it and allowed Dee to continue. "I've known JJ throughout our Academy years. He irritated me to no end but I honestly don't have anything against him." Dee ruffled a hand through his hair, ridding it of the white snowflakes that were gathering there. "He's a good person. But for the love of God, don't tell him I said that or I'll never hear the end of it!" Drake shrugged and took another drag at his cig.

"I won't." It was Dee's turn to eye the detective suspiciously. In spite of Drake's casual demeanor, it was obvious the man wasn't telling him something. He decided not to waste any more time and cut right to the point.

"You're falling for him, aren't you?" Drake nearly swallowed his cigarette and began coughing frantically.

"What?! No!" Dee shook his head with a disbelieving smirk.

"You know, Drake. Denial isn't very healthy. Especially for someone who walks around with that love-sick look all the time." Drake's eyes narrowed defensively.

"I am not love-sick. I'm just confused." He shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed irritably. "JJ's made it clear that he's interested and I've thought about for awhile and I think I may be to." He couldn't stop the color from appearing on his face. Dee shrugged.

"That's great. So, what's the problem?" Drake shifted uncomfortably and regarded Dee with an annoyed expression.

"I don't know what that means for me. I don't know if I want my life to take this turn. But at the same time I don't want to abandon this feeling I'm getting if I do turn away." He blushed and avoided Dee's gaze. "This was a dumb idea. I shouldn't have told you anything!" Dee let out an exasperated sigh around his cigarette.

"Yeah right. Look, have you told JJ any of this?" Drake shook his head. "Well, you can start there."

"I'm not ready to do that yet, Dee. I can't."

"If you're not ready, you don't have to tell him in words yet. Give yourself more time to sort out your own feelings if you need to. There are other things you can do to let him know you care." Dee toyed with the small gift-wrapped box in the pocket of his trench coat and frowned. "I think it's only fair to at least give him a hint instead of keeping him in the dark."

Drake nodded absently, digesting Dee's advice. He crushed a small patch of ice with the toe of his boot in thought. "What do you mean, 'not tell him in words'?"

"Well, it is Christmas Eve. Get him a gift or something." Dee pulled out the small package and studied it for a moment, deep in thought. For the first time that evening Drake gave a genuine smile.

"That's not a bad idea, Dee. Thanks." He eyed the package in Dee's hand. "Is that Ryo's?"

Dee bristled suddenly and replied through clenched teeth. "Yes."

"What's in the box?" Drake peered over Dee's shoulder to get a better look.

"I don't know and I don't care. Rose failed to mention that."

"It's from the Commissioner?!" Dee's frown deepened even more.

"Yeah," was all he said in return. Drake eyed him curiously.

"Didn't you get something for Ryo?" Dee sighed and closed his eyes, as if blocking out doubts he's been having for weeks.

"To be honest, I don't know what to get the guy." Drake snickered and gave a light pat on his shoulder.

"Don't worry, Dee. I'm sure Ryo will appreciate it no matter what it is as long as you tried--"

"That's not the point," Dee interrupted. "Ryo's a romantic at heart. I wanted to give him something that was well heartfelt." Dee shifted uncomfortably and took another long drag at his cigarette. He wasn't used to talking to others about such things. It made him uneasy.

"Well, sometimes things like that can't be wrapped neatly in a little package," Drake said. "Sometimes it's spontaneous. You're one of the most spontaneous people I know, Dee."

Dee was silent for a while, thoughtful. The sudden change in his loud-mouthed friend unnerved Drake a little as he waited. Dee chose his next words carefully.

"Even as a kid, I wasn't used to giving and receiving gifts. Other than Penguin, Jess would sometimes drop by on birthdays. He wasn't much for presents either." He paused and glanced at his wrist, twirling the shiny object he wore there. "One of the few things I have left of Jess is this watch. He gave it to me one day shortly before the incident of his death. Since then it kinda served as a reminder of him and the good cop that he was." Dee gave a small laugh and ran a hand through his hair. "This damn thing is important to me. I just wish I could give Ryo something as meaningful to him."

Dee dared a glance at Drake who he found was staring at him with an odd astounded expression. His cigarette hung from his mouth in a comical manner and Dee wished for a moment that a bug would bug into the gapping orifice.

"Dee Laytner, the sentimentalist. Do my ears deceive me?"

"Shut up, Drake."

"Heh. Sorry. It's just not every day you talk about stuff like this." Out of nowhere Drake's cell phone rang, breaking the muffled silence in the parking lot and startling them both. He answered it with a hopeful gleam in his eye and spoke quickly. When he was done he turned towards Dee with a big grin on his face.

"That was my ticket out of here. JJ joined in the search and found the locksmith. He'll be here in a few minutes." Dee patted Drake on the back before turning to leave. "Hey! Where are you going? Don't you need a ride?"

"Nah. I'll walk. It'll give me time to think." Dee waved a hand over his shoulder without turning back. "See ya."

Drake crossed his arms and arched an eyebrow, puzzled why Dee didn't just accept the ride. "Oh well." The sound of water being sprayed on the surface caught his attention and he turned to see, to his horror, a small dog using his front tire as an outhouse.

"Argh!! My car! You dumb mutt! Get the hell out of here!!"