Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Kindred Spirits ❯ Accidents Happen ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kindred Spirits

Chapter One:

Accidents Happen

By Kouryu

Ahhh.....the warmth and peace of semi-consciousness, just lying in bed at 5:30 in the morning with no particular thought going through my prone state except the desire to stay like this. Stretching slightly, I further bundle up into the blankets that had mysteriously wrapped around my upper torso, leaving my feet cold and bare, so I curl up further, resembling a roly-poly, almost. Nothing, not anything could get me out of here. I am almighty Erica-sama, and what I say goes! Nothing this day can drag me out of bed before noon.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

......except the almighty annoyance of my newest alarm clock, the other one having been smashed to pieces during a rather rough wrestling match, its remains lying pushed into a corner under the carpet. My eye twitches slightly, and I shoot my hand out to slam upon the top of the bloody pest, groping blindly for the off switch. Realizing that I had not stretched far enough, I leaned in more, still keeping my eyes closed and blanking out all thoughts but to kill the evil demon of beeps. I was so focused on my task that I did not notice that I was leaning precariously on the edge of the bed, nearly three feet off the ground, and going further.

I soon realized my situation though, after finding myself lying on my back on the floor, the wind knocked out of me and the chill air seeping into my skin. Groaning, I stumble up, trip over my chair, fling out my arm, and miraculously turn off the still beeping alarm clock. I blink slightly, staring at it from my spot on the floor. Glaring suspiciously at the thing, I start to think that it was plotting this the whole time. Ah, what a deviously cunning mind you have, my clock, but I shall win in the end! I picked up one of the many items lying on the floor, this one a notebook, and threw it at the clock, effectively knocking the contraption down to the floor, where it started off beeping again. Throwing another missile, I hit the electric cord, and the thing's face went dark, losing the glowing red numbers. I grin to myself at the triumph. Erica: 1, Machine: 0.

Stumbling up once again, I tediously make my way towards the door, stepping in an odd....something.....on the way. Hm, maybe I should take Mom's suggestion to heart and clean my room. I could redo the walls flame-patterned! Or I could put in a carpet, or even install a waterslide!

After all, I had yet to fully explore the place, and had no idea what had been living behind my bed up to this point. Shuddering, I head out the door. I don't think I really want to know, not until I have some thick rubber gloves at least. I waved 'hi' to the family of dust bunnies in the hallway closet, and head into the kitchen, snacking on an orange and gulping down excessively large amounts of Diet Coke to get a caffeine boost.

Thus finished with my morning wake-up routine, I collapsed into the EZ-boy recliner, falling into a light doze once more. After what seemed only a second later, I found my mom telling me to get up and get ready in less than ten minutes, or we'd be late. I hurriedly dressed, brushed my teeth, packed everything up, and whizzed out the door, not forgetting to greet the next-door neighbors' kids with our customary battle of wits. Heh, it seems like their airplane got stuck on top of our roof once again. I smirked, and exchanged comments with the eight-year-old and ten-year-old.

"Erica!! Get our plane down! Please?"

I look up at the plane, down at my watch, and back at them.

"Why didn't you ask me to do this yesterday, when I wasn't being rushed?"

"You wouldn't answer the door!" TJ pouted, crossing his arms.

I blink, remembering. Wasn't I doing something yesterday...? Oh yeah, listening to music and drawing. I KNEW that I heard somebody at the door, but I thought it was the salesman again. The guy couldn't take a hint. I sigh slightly, drop my abnormally square black backpack to the ground, and quickly climb up the ladder onto the roof, throwing down their plane. They thank me enthusiastically, and then rush off to their own home, chatting like hyper little chipmunks.

I shake my head in mock despondency, and quickly disembark from my perch on the roof, slipping only once and falling down five feet to the ground, thus knocking out my ankles for a while. I hear our car start, the ratty old thing, and dash back to the front yard, hopping into the passenger's seat as my mom busily lectures me about climbing on the roof.

Funny, all I can hear is "blah blah blah blah blah......"

Well, my day on the bus passed like any other, the usual sardine-like cramming together and the unbearable odorous heat of those who did not shower filling the air, while the windows remained closed. I'm surprised I didn't die from it all; such was the density of sickness carried on the stale air.

Ewww.....I think KC's rubbing off on me. Did I just think like that?! AH!! I'm thinking poetically!! NOOOOOOO!! I shake my head subconsciously, continuing to check my watch every five seconds to see when the ride would be over. Distantly, I take note that the person sitting next to me -I hadn't looked at them yet, preferring to just ignore their presence- hadn't taken a shower that day. I snort slightly, and then regret it, gagging at the rancid air. I resume my seemingly introspective watching out the window, when inside, I'm actually planning how to somehow magically make the bus tilt over, thus delaying school. Sadly, I had not of yet come up with any remarkable ideas.

An agonizing twenty minutes later, I hurriedly disembarked, all but jumping out of the yellow-colored doom vehicle, gulping in rapid breaths of fresh air. I headed toward one of the many classes, Band, to wait at the usual spot. I look around; yet spot neither KC nor Briana.

"Late again, I see," I mutter to no one, setting my pack onto the pavement. I settle myself to wait, leaning gently against the railing, staring out at the not-so-distant road on which my friends would be arriving. Ah, there they were, and to my not-so-surprise, the bell rung just then, depriving me of my chance to talk with them before school officially started. I wave to them as they come walking, still a ways away, and head to my first period class. I'd be able to talk with them later.

Well, my day passed as any other would, carrying homework from only two classes and thoroughly hungry and slightly tired. It was only so long that one could stand listening to Mrs. G talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and.....snore....I snap awake, having nearly fallen asleep on my feet. Today, we'd all decided to take the bus -I shudder at that- to Sutter Creek, to visit a store there called On Purpose. Myself, I'd never been to it, but I heard they carried Tarot cards, and I wanted to get a pack for myself, since I was the only one out of our group of four that didn't have any. I admit I grew annoyed at that thought. All because I have a certain closed-minded parent that did not want anything to do with real-life......okay, getting off subject.

Well, it was in this store that I found many a wondrous thing. We three, we walked through the aisles, wide-eyed and awed at all the mystic items, their very auras exuding a mysterious air. I wandered toward the back, noticing an odd, dusty mirror there, with inscriptions carved into the golden metal, and I stared at it, wondering how on Earth nobody had wanted to buy such a magnificent thing. I turned to my companions, waving them over.

"KC, Briana, ya gotta see this! Isn't this one hecka cool mirror?" I ask, pointing appraisingly at said item. In return, I got one raised eyebrow and one friend muttering about how well the mirror would look in her room, which was even more littered than mine; and so, we just admired the sparkling thing, and KC, Briana, and I took to deciphering the writing on the sides.

We all tilted our heads to different angles, trying to make out the strange code. Finally giving up, Briana turned to ask the lady at the counter what it said, to find out that she had suddenly vanished; there were no other people here but us. The hairs at the back of my neck prickled nervously in warning.

"Is it just me, or does anybody else feel *really* nervous now?" asked KC, looking around warily, studying the closed windows and door. I blink at that, and nod, as does Briana.

"Ooh, you think that we're gonna get sucked into an alternate dimension and battle evil monsters and search for the one ring to rule them all and meet Sesshoumaru?" quipped Briana, eyes turning mischievously evil. I barely suppressed a groan, but let out a roll of the eyes, heading toward the door.

"Not likely," I retorted, turning the doorknob and walking forward without thought, expecting it to open. What I accomplished instead was to ram my nose into the door, fall back dizzied, and lie on the floor, little swirly eyes and mini-Clouds decorating my vision for a moment. Faintly, I could hear snickering in the background, and rolled to my feet, weaving slightly and rubbing my nose, feigning anger. Oh yes, I would have my revenge. I sulkily thwapped both their heads, and that soon turned into an all-out thwapping war, in which we forgot our current situation.

The only thing to warn us about the impending danger was the odd soft rumbling sound coming from behind us, and slowly, ever so slowly, we turned to see the origin. Eyes widening, we witnessed the mirror, glowing, slowly twist and turn, becoming more dark colored, shadowy, almost like a rip in the space-time continuum, with slashes of dark mauve and blue-violet and deep, bloody red swirling in its infinite depths. The writing, though, was still shining on the sides, only now it had turned a bright white.

One word ran through my mind right then: #&%@.

Standing there, frozen, we waited for an anxious eternity, which in reality was a mere few minutes, before realizing that nothing had happened. Curiosity overrode common sense, and we crept forward, hesitantly, standing now about five feet from the deep black depths. Reaching out her hand, KC lightly poked at it, and, observing no reaction, deemed it safe to go nearer to. Of course, someone would have to step closer first; for safety measures.

And, of course, I was the one they both pushed forward. Ah, isn't it wonderful to have such reliable, trustworthy, kind friends? The sarcastic thought convinced me that I would have to get my revenge tenfold on the two.

But, of course, my revenge was once again spoiled. Not noticing a fallen incense container in the shape of a dragon lying on the floor, I inadvertently tripped on it, tumbling head first into the warp. Although, I'm happy to say that I managed to grab both KC and Briana's wrists, thus pulling them in too. If I must suffer, then we all suffer.

My Inner Voice was laughing maniacally right about now.

Opening my eyes, I realized that we were floating in the void, and KC and Briana were giving me death glares, arms crossed, and many threats to be issued. I wondered if I could somehow float away from them; they were too close within range for comfort. My previous thoughts were confirmed by the sound thwapping of my head. Owwwww.....

Leaving me to once again watch the little mini-Cloud (now joined by a mini-Duo) swirl around my head, they took note of their surroundings. It was black. And black. And, oh, look, more black. What a wide variety of colors. We really must give our congratulations to the designer.

I still lay there, entranced by the hot midget bishies flying around my head.

Briana and KC, on the other hand, began looking for a way out. Hn, if I was in a conscious state, I could've pointed out to them that there was no escape from here. We wouldn't be able to leave unless whatever controlled this place wanted us to go. It kind of reminded me of a show I once saw, where the characters were trapped similarly.

Another smack to the head brought me out of my self-induced trance.

"C'mon, we're leaving, there's gotta be some way out if we just look hard enough," commanded Briana, and somehow she managed to find out how to float around here. I grabbed my pack from the...er.....blackness ground thing, and went after the two. Just about now, panic started to set in, tinged with the thrill of exhilaration. Certainly I was frightened out of my wits, as were most likely the other two, but it was exciting! I mean, what could be more interesting than walking endlessly for hours in a black hole?

..............

WE'RE DOOOOOOMEEEEEEEDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**************************************************************** ********

At around the same time the three girls were sucked into the dark abyss, one other roamed through an unknown land, staring about in bewilderment as she tried to assess the situation. In her left hand she clutched a pendant, wrapping her fingers so tightly around it that the knuckles had turned white. She stared around, unsure of what had just happened. Something clicked in her head though, as one of the basis laws of life came to her. Eyes narrowed, she immediately latched onto that law.

"KC, somehow, someway, this is all your FAULT!!!!!!"

**************************************************************** ********

To be continued in chapter 2, First Meetings

Until then, tune in next time for the next exciting episode of DBZ----er, KINDRED SPIRITS!!!