Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Kindred Spirits ❯ First Meetings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kindred Spirits

Chapter 2:

First Meetings

KC-chan's Point of View *eviiiiil grin*

Well, we'd been walking for hours on end, and I could hear the mutterings of rebellion from my friends. I think that's my queue to get out of range...wait a minute...did Briana just say something about a flamethrower?! I cast a suspicious glance at her from the corner of my eyes, and noticed that my friend was a tad...annoyed; such was evident by the timely clenching and unclenching of her fists. I looked over at Erica, and if I were an anime character, I would've sweatdropped. She was busily chatting to herself, mumbling random things about whipped cream and flying midget bishies.

I don't think I want to know what that's about. So instead, I speed up my pace a bit. Maybe we had hit her too hard? Nah, I shook my head. She's always been like that. Briana, on the other hand, seemed to be contemplating the death of us all. I walk faster at that.

Retreating to my earlier thoughts, I block out everything else except for one person. Skywise. A dreamy look apparently came over my face, judging by my friends' bewildered and wary expressions, as they stared at me with confusion and hesitance. Briana slowly backed away, and Erica hid behind Briana.

Hm, I wonder, maybe all this blackness will lead somewhere. I mean, that's what happens in all the movies, right? Maybe it will lead to some alternate universe or something of the like!! Little bright golden stars shone about me then, and romantic shojo bubbles of pink and purple and baby blue made their appearance, as hearts appeared in my eyes. Maybe it will lead us to Skywise! Oh, my beloved Skywise, with his silver hair and bright, intelligent, mischievous eyes and....I was abruptly snapped out of my thoughts by the loud rumbling coming from out stomachs.

Aw....the shojo bubbles popped and the stars faded away. Darn it, I liked them!

A voice broke through my inner ranting, "KC...I'm hungry and tired, let's stop to rest," stated Briana, already flopping down to lie in the inky blackness that apparently defied all laws of gravity and nature.

We'd been very lucky indeed to have kept our backpacks with us, and even luckier was the fact that I had food in mine. Granted, most of it was a week or more old, but still edible. Apparently, Briana had also stashed some snacks as well, and we both dug into our rations. That is, until I felt the eyes of a moocher on MY food.

Without pause, I spoke, "No, Erica."

"Aw, c'mon, have a little sympathy," she readily responded, still staring at the food.

"You're worse than Naruto around ramen," muttered Briana around a mouthful of plastic chocolate. A sulky, yet resilient silence was her answer.

"Pllleaaaaase?" came the begging once more.

"No."

"PLEASE?"

"NO."

"Pretty please with sugar on top?"

"No."

"....please?"

"NO!!"

"PWETTY PLEASE?!"

"I SAID NO!!!"

Whatever was left of my patience finally snapped, and I chucked a piece of....whatever I was eating....at Erica. With a resounding smack, it, in all its rock-hard staleness, effectively knocked her out. Receiving an appraising look from Briana, I merely shrugged.

"She asked for it."

Briana snickered and managed to start choking on her chocolate. I watched amused, eyebrow raised.

Ah, the joys of having weird friends. They're better than the Dukes of Hazard; more entertaining when they interact.

A few hours passed, and my currently passed out comrade had yet to awaken, and Briana was getting annoyed. In fact, said pyro was currently poking the unconscious otaku with a twig that she managed to find in her backpack.

Poke, poke. "CLEAR!!" Poke, poke. "CLEAR!!"

It seems that she is trying to bring her 'back to life' using the twig. I snicker.

Suddenly, the world around us lightened, becoming ridden with wild colors of the forest, and amongst them all, one silvery-blue light shone, and came closer.

Shocked, Briana and I stared as it seemed to envelope us three, a blinding flash and then darkness once more, as we spiraled down a long a long whirlwind of colors to a destination unknown.

//Flashback//

It seemed like an excellent idea. Erica had invited me and Briana to go to an interesting occult store called On Purpose, which specialized in the Wicca religion. I had some money pocketed, and planned to buy an incense burner and maybe another set of Tarot cards if I was able to. Although, I never, EVER want to ride on the bus ever again. I shudder to think at it; the smell, the stifling noise, the overall sense of doom.

I think I'm traumatized for life now.

Nevertheless, my bad mood was banished at the sight of the store, and I excitedly walked in with my friends. Pentacles lined the wall, and daggers, swords, staffs, books, and other things of the like littered the place. We three quickly spread out, I myself heading toward where I spotted the utmost gorgeous incense holder I'd ever seen, in the shape of a dragon. Picking it up, I looked at it over from head to toe, admiring the reddish golden color and the ruby eyes, but was downtrodden when I saw what the price was. I put it back on the shelf, not noticing when it fell to the ground because I had not properly replaced it.

Still walking around, I mused over the different styles of incense burners that were stacked in a corner of the room. I turned to ask the woman at the counter which type she recommended, but found no one there. Concerned, I looked around for her, but stopped when I heard Erica calling to us, excitedly rambling about a really cool mirror. I, in all my curiosity, walked over, staring at the brilliantly golden full-length mirror. One thought came to my mind.

"That would look GREAT in my room."

Erica quickly pointed out the strange writing on the sides, and I wondered how I could have missed such an interesting object, when before, while studying the incense holder, I had been but two feet away from it. We tilted our heads side to side, trying to reason out the writing, when Briana turned to ask the mysteriously disappeared clerk what it said, only to realize that she wasn't there. A foreboding vibe filled the air, then.

Wary, I asked, "Is it just me, or does anybody else feel *really* nervous now?" I took in the locked windows and closed door, and my fears increased ten-fold. Both Erica and Briana nodded, and I sighed as Briana commented about 'alternate universes' and 'finding the one ring to rule them all' and 'Sesshoumaru.'

Erica responded with a retort, and headed to the only exit. To my extreme humor, she ended up smashing face first into the door and falling to the floor. Briana and I broke out into laughter, which soon led to an all out slap-fight, various threats and insults being thrown, and we failed to remember our current predicament.

A growling, as if from some angry beast, quickly brought us back to earth. Turning around, I came face to face with the weirdest sight I'd ever seen.

The mirror had become a black-hole of sorts, with colors twisting and swirling in it. The writing still stood out though, but now, it blazed so brightly that I squinted at the brilliance, wondering what the flip was going on. Still frightened and more than slightly cautious, I soon realized that nothing was happening. I slowly, ever so slowly, reached out my hand to poke the 'mirror'. Nothing else happened. Well, someone should get closer, and catching Briana's eye, an unspoken agreement passed between us. As one, we pushed Erica forward, and as one, we all fell in when she tripped over the dragon incense holder I had been studying, pulling us jerkily by our wrists along with her, falling into the darkness.

//End Flashback//

(Intervention on Part of the Author: So...it was all KC'S fault....first law of anime here: It is always KC's fault.)

***************

Blinking at the bright sunlight that was penetrating my eyelids, I groggily sat up, holding my aching head. Squinting through the haze that seemed to cover my eyes, I could make out the two figures of my friends, both still lying on the ground. I groaned as I realized our surroundings, my vision suddenly miraculously clearing up.

We were in a desert with no civilization in sight.

CURSE YOU CRUEL FATE!!!!!!!!

Too busy being ranting and raving and cussing at Fate, I failed to notice that awakening of my companions. That is, until a flung pebble hit me soundly on the side of the head. Glaring at Briana, who had thrown the missile, I narrowed my eyes threateningly. She just whistled innocently, eyes darting off to the sides, and I gave up plotting ways to kill her.

"So...KC...Where the heck are we?" demanded Briana, now looking around her with interest, poking evilly at the poor lizard that had been resting near her form, for it offered shade.

"I don't know, and Briana, leave the lizard alone!" I replied, thoroughly frustrated.

"Well, at least it's a change of scenery..." Briana trailed off, now standing, as she stretched, popping sounds coming from her back and neck. A low groan met our ears, and we simultaneously turned to our last companion, who was just now waking up.

And then we witnessed the oddest scene in history, making me wish I had brought a camcorder.

With a twist, Erica had slapped her hand over a rock, seemingly muttering about alarm clocks. Leaning over further, she smacked the rock once more, injuring her hand, before turning back around and burying her head under her arms.

"Somebody stop that infernal ringing noise...and turn off the light damnit!" was the muffled demand that came from the curled figure.

I couldn't help but reply.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think the sun can be turned off," was my witty reply, as we watched our friend struggle to her feet.

"Hardy har har, really funny KC..." she muttered, giving up on standing and just flopped back to the ground.

"Yes, yes it was," I quipped, grinning. Briana chuckled and pulled Erica to her feet, making sure she could stand.

"What should we do now?" she asked, hefting her backpack, "All in all, I don't mind being out in the hot sun, but I'm thirsty!"

"Well, how about we head into a random direction, and hope to find an oasis, and if we don't, we just lie down and die?" Erica suggested, cynically as always.

Her response, quite expectedly, was to be ignored.

"How about we head towards those cliffs?" I suggested, pointing at the distant hills.

"Sure, whatever, we might as well die quickly from being smashed to the ground after falling off the cliffs. It's better than dying slowly from thirst and hunger," muttered Briana.

I had no idea what urged me on to those cliffs, except that they looked familiar in a way I couldn't place....

I shrugged, and we continued walking.

Several hours later, we stood at the base of the steep hills, looking around us in expectant hope.

"Well, this was a good idea, now let's start the climbing and crashing to the ground," grinned Erica. I rolled my eyes and sat down, soon followed by my friends. My hackles rose, as I felt someone staring at us, but, quickly looking around, no one was spotted.

"So...what do you wanna do?" asked Erica.

"I dunno....what do you wanna do?" asked Briana.

"I dunno, what do you wanna do?"

"If you guys even THINK of doing that horribly annoying quote, I shall personally throw a rock at you," I threatened, intervening before the annoying never-ending quote started. They shut up fairly quickly, despondency soon setting in.

"Well....this sucks," grumbled Briana, with an agreed nod from Erica and me.

"Well, look on the bright side, then," I said.

"What bright side?"

"Eh...." I honestly couldn't come up with one right now, "You'll have to find it out for yourself. Remember, this is a learning experience." I could tell by the stares I received that I had once again managed to freak my friends out.

"....learning experience?" murmured Erica.

"Yeah, and soon, little dwarves will pop out singing 'hi-ho, hi-ho'," bit out Briana, rolling her eyes.

"......really?"

"NO."

".....oh. Darn it. I like that song."

I chuckled at their antics. But, once again, I felt those eyes on the back of my head, and, quite quickly and unexpectedly, I whirled around, catching sight of silver-haired head disappearing from view even more quickly.

"Guys, I don't want to alarm you, but I think we're not alone," I stated, tensing up.

"Eh?"

"Oro?"

How surprising it was to find ourselves, in less than a second, surrounded by no less then ten elves, all with bows aimed toward us and daggers raised.

Oh joy of joys.

We scooted away, back to back, still kept within the ever-diminishing circle of sharp weaponry.

"Hey, Briana, KC, you think those knives are real?"

"....." came the answer, accompanied by, yes, you guessed it, a slap to the head.

"I'll take that as a yes."

Watching the movements of the distrustful elves, I suddenly realized where we were.

"Holy Shit--ake mushrooms...." I breathed, "I just figured out where that freaky mirror deposited us...."

"Yeah, where?" asked Briana, a sardonic tone to her voice.

"Guys, welcome to the world of Elfquest....."

*************************************************************** *********

To be continued in Chapter 3 of Kindred Spirits: Brianny the Homicidal Maniac