Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ The Son Rises ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Guide our son, Fiona, he needs you now." Van silently prayed.

The scientist had to break the bad news to Sara, "Vega's vital signs are slipping and he's not responding to our communications. We can't even eject him remotely from here."

Sara felt her body grow cold and her heart sink. She looked around the battlefield and thought about what she had done. Was it worth the life of her son to get back at the Zoids Battle Commission? All Vega ever wanted to do was fight against strong opponents so he could become stronger. He respected everyone he fought, and he thought of his fights as stepping stones towards a bigger goal. He never really wanted to destroy anybody, at least, not the way that she and the Daggers had.

"I can't believe what my hatred blinded me, too." Sara collapsed on the ground and began sobbing.

Bit could feel the Berserk Fury growing stronger. He knew what he had to do, but wondered if he had the ability as a pilot to do it. Fiona reassured him.

"Believe Bit, everyone around you believes in you, so you have to do this. Feel the strength of you and the Liger Zero. Use it to put an end to the Fury and get Vega back!"

He could feel the temperature rising in the cockpit. It was the same feeling he got after firing all his missiles in the Panzer CAS. "C'mon on Zeke, we have people counting on us."

Inside the Zoid core, Zeke could feel Bit's hope and renewed faith. He fed off that energy and powered up to a level he hadn't reached before. It was up to Bit to use the power wisely.

The Liger Zero's whole body began to glow bright gold. The Berserk Fury could feel the new power and backed up slowly, but only for a minute. It countered by powering up its charged particle beam.

"Take him Liger! Break through the Berserk Fury!" The color of the Liger stunned everyone that was watching. Beak's readings found it to be a powerful shield, but would it be enough to take on the ultimate weapon?

A roar between rivals could be heard all the way back in the hospital. Catherine and Moonbay looked out the window to see what was happening. They could see crimson and gold colors lighting up the sky.

"What's going on over there?"

"I hope everyone is okay." Catherine worried about her husband. Moonbay was about to speak when they heard Fiona mumble something.

"Is she coming to?"

"What is she saying?"

Very clear, she said, "Go, Bit!"

Zeke reached speeds that exceeded the Lightning Saix and raced over to strike the Zoid core of the Fury. "Hang on, Vega. Don't give up on me now."

The ferocity of the attack sounded like thunder as the two Zoids clashed against each other. The armor of the Liger was tearing apart as the Fury used its wings to push him off.

"Let go of Vega! He doesn't deserve this kind of torment!"

Bit could feel the pain right through his cockpit, but he couldn't give up when he was so close. He pushed himself even harder and with both arms, pushed the Liger Zero forward. After that, he couldn't feel his left arm anymore.

"They can't keep this up, Van, they'll both be killed." Irvine didn't know how they could save Bit at this point.

Van struggled with himself as he thought about what to do. Leena called out to him, "Bit can do it! He's not leaving you now after he just found you."

"You're right. My son couldn't do such a thing."

Raven was amazed at the stamina of the two Zoids. Both were pushing themselves beyond their limits, yet it seemed like neither one could fall.

Finally, both Zoids burst into flames.

Van screamed as he looked at the sight. Out of nowhere, two bright lights flew towards the wrecked Zoids and quickly flew back. At that moment, the fire went out, and Shadow and Specula opened themselves up behind the Genobreaker.

All pilots exited their Zoids and rushed over to him. Bit and Vega fell to the ground. Vega didn't have a pulse, and Bit's could barely be heard. Leena and Van worked on reviving Bit while Raven helped Vega. Thomas called for help.

Sara couldn't believe what she had seen with her own eyes. She still wasn't able to move. All she could do was pray for her son's life.

Irivne asked Thomas a question, "What were those flames we saw? It couldn't have been a normal fire; there would have been scorch marks on the Zoids."

"Your guess is as good as mine. It could be the result of those two attacking with such high energy outputs. The power had to be released somehow, and neither pilot could pull away."

Bit opened his eyes for a minute. "Is he ok?"

Leena took his hand, "Raven's helping him now. You got him out of the Fury, Bit."

He cracked a small smile, "I can barely move. I feel so dizzy."

"You pushed yourself too hard. All you need to do is relax and rest to regain your strength." He nodded and closed his eyes again.

At last, Vega's heart started beating again. When it did, Sara felt stronger and was able to stand. "Thank God. I can feel my heart. Vega must be okay."

For the second time in two days, the Guardian Force members found themselves at the hospital. The doctors said Bit's vitals were stable and he was resting easy. Fiona was wide awake by the time Van came back and was ready to see her son. Riece and Ava stayed with Vega while Raven went off looking for something.

"Nick's didn't make it afterall. Angel is still unconscious and the other two lost their lives out there. It's a real tragedy things had to come down like this." Irvine agreed with Thomas.

Fiona and Van sat on either side of Bit's bed. Leena stood at the foot and watched him sleep. He woke up to three sets of eyes staring at him. "No wonder I couldn't get any sleep."

He looked at Fiona, "I'm so gald you're all right. There's a lot you still need to tell me about."

She smiled and nodded her head, "You did what few warriors would have done. You risked your life to save an old foe."

"Vega just likes fighting great battles. We understand each other when it comes to that."

Bit looked at Leena who had tears flowing down her cheecks. "I'm fine, see? There's no need to cry."

"I know, I just can't help myself."

"I care for you too much to leave."

She wiped away a tear, "I know you do."

Riece met Raven out in the hall. "No luck?"

He shook his head, "I'm sure Sara's around somewhere, I just couldn't find her."

"You will. She has nothing left to run, too."

Angel awakened to find herself surrouned by guards. She also awakened to a disturbing fact. All she cared about was causing others pain. In the end, she was the one that suffered the most. It was something that she couldn't handle.

***

After three weeks, things slowly returned to normal. Four cadets from the Royal Cup Tournament passed the Guantlet and graduated to become official members of the Guardian Force.

Bit looked at the Liger Zero in the Zoid's hangar. Van walked up behind him and asked him what he was thinking about. "I was hoping for peace on Zi."

"Really?"

"Yeah, because I don't think the Liger Zero could handle anymore battles like the one we had a while back."

Fiona walked up to her two favorite men. "That's an interesring way to look at it."

"Any word on Sara?"

Van shook his head, "We still have warrants out for her arrest, but we haven't had any leads."

"Nothing on Vega, either, huh?"

He shook his head again, "Nope, afraid not. He disappeared, but people always leave traces. We'll find him."

Bit looked towards the horizon. "Rest easy, King, you have nothing to worry about now."