Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Live Again ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Answer me, Vega! I know you're the only one that can pilot the Berserk Fury. Why are you working with the Daggers? It's not like you!"

No response from the Fury.

"Don't you know what these people have done? You said you wanted to fight great battles, so why would you do this?"

The Fury whipped around and attacked the Liger Zero, leaving deep scratch marks below the cockpit. Bit countered with the Strike Laser Claw, but when he came close to the head of the Zoid, the wings wrapped around it and a shield threw him back.

"Dammit. A lot has changed since the last time we fought."

The charged particle gun was warming up to fire. The Liger leapt out of the way and retreated, but the beam followed him around in a complete circle. The Guardian Force Zoids' sensors went off the charts. Thomas radioed Van, "This is similar to the Death Stinger's power."

No one could break away from their current fight to help Bit. Van was getting worried when he received a transmission from his son, "I've fought him before. Don't worry, I can handle him. He may have gotten stronger, but so have I!"

Sara looked at the battle from a safe distance. She and a scientist kept a close eye on Vega's vital signs and the Zoid's statistics. "Very good, Vega. You've exceeded my expectations."

The Liger kept retreating, trying to find a weak spot to exploit on the evolved Zoid. Bit heard the female voice for a third time.

"I've been trying to get you to listen to me. You need to understand something about this Zoid."

"Fiona? Where are you? What are you talking about?"

"I would love to be able to sit down with you and explain how I know all this, but right now, I'm asking you to trust me. The Zoid itself is attacking you, not the pilot."

Bit didn't say a word, but concentrated on Fiona's voice.

"A Zoid can be good or evil, just like a person, but unfortunately this Zoid has had its path chosen for it. Look deep inside."

The armor to the Fury became transparent, and Bit identified the Zoid core and the black box organoid system. He could feel a burning hatred radiating from the center to the rest of the Zoid.

"What's wrong with him? What will happen to Vega?"

"Your father and I faced this Zoid a long time ago, but it was in a different form. Just like Zeke powers the Liger Zero, another organoid powers the Berserk Fury. Ambient is fighting the battle that caused Hiltz's death."

Fiona continued, "Vega has nothing to do with this. The Fury is just using him as an additional source of energy. Although, if the fight goes on for too long, his body might not make it."

"Then I know exactly what I have to do. Thanks… Mom."

The doctor was losing hope when Fiona didn't respond to any of the treatments he was giving her. Finally, she calmed down and stabilized. It looked like she was gaining her strength again.

Thomas was becoming more and more furious with his opponent. When Nick charged towards the Dibison, Thomas rammed right through Zoid's body with the horns. An electric charged pulsated from the horns to the Zaber Fang. The electricity lit up the cockpit and Nick was knocked unconscious.

Spence felt like he had Raven beat and prepared to fire the gun at the Genobreaker's cockpit. Raven quickly cocked the Zoid's neck and bit through the trunk. It snapped in half and took Spence by surprise. The Genobreaker relentlessly fired upon the Elephander, until it exploded. Raven was too close to escape, and was caught in the aftermath.

Van saw the explosion and called out to Raven. It took a minute before Raven responded. He and the Genobreaker were fine.

Irvine and Jaq's battle had been decided earlier on, but Jaq didn't want to loose and face her comrades. Irvine pinned the Guntiger down and only meant to freeze the command system, but at the last minute she moved the head of the Zoid directly under the gun.

The last two battles were at a stalemate. Palta couldn't afford to lose to a member of the Blitz Team again. Leena wanted to prove that she had improved her skills and she wanted to help Bit in his fight.

Angel and Van were running on pure adrenaline. Van had everything to lose. His son needed his help and his wife was in poor condition at the hospital. He could feel the strength in his body drain away. The last remaining member of the Ice Daggers felt she was the only one left to avenge the humiliation they faced the last time they fought the Guardian Force.

Shadow fused with the Genobreaker to help it get back on its feet. For a minute, Raven could offer fire support against the Saberlion. Van contacted him before he could do anything, "Go help Bit! The Liger Zero hasn't been able to get a shot in with the Fury constantly attacking."

"Gotcha, Van."

Irvine took a minute to process what had just happened. He couldn't believe she purposefully put herself in his line of fire. He didn't have a choice but to put that aside and help Leena. The Lightning Saix pushed the Warshark out of the way and kept him busy while Leena changed into the sniper mode. Six rounds in succession took Palta out of the battle.

Raven tried getting Bit to think before he attacked, "The Berserk Fury can fire the charged particle beam constantly and at any angle. If you get to close, the shield can instantly push you back."

"Thanks, but I all ready figured that out."

"Geez, you really are Van's son." Raven thought, but said this to Bit, "I'll fire my CPB to distract the Fury, while you charge up to attack the top of the head. With enough power, you'll force the pilot out."

"I have to save Vega because he's not the one doing this."

"What are you talking about?" This was not the time to have a debate.

"Fiona told me that an old enemy was in control of the Fury, and not Vega. I believe she said, `Ambient'."

Raven instantly thought of Hiltz and Prozen. Sixteen years later, the blood of that battle still stained his soul.

Van felt a huge weight lift from his shoulders. If Fiona was able to contact Bit, she must be getting better.

"We don't have a choice then. We have to destroy that Zoid, core and all!" Raven had a one-track mind.

"I can't! If Vega's not responsible for this, he shouldn't have to pay."

"Dammit, Bit, listen to me! He hasn't even unleashed his full potential yet!"

None of the remaining fighters could believe what they were hearing. After all that fire power, the Berserk Fury still had more in it.

"Listen to reason, Bit, there is no other alternative." Irvine was surprised that he agreed with Raven.

"Bit, do you what you feel is right. That's what matters now!" Leena had complete faith in the one she loved.

"You weren't there during that battle with Hiltz and Ambient; otherwise, you wouldn't be saying that." Irvine tried not to think of that day.

"We can't stand around here arguing. Let's do it now, Irvine."

"I got your back, Raven."

The Blade Liger was not holding back anything now. Van felt more confident knowing Fiona was going be fine, and he was glad to hear Bit stood by his convictions. It was his turn to say something to Angel. "You thought you could tear my family apart, but as you can see, you failed. You even failed to help out your so-called friends in this fight. Look around you, they're all gone."

Angel finally realized what happened as she looked around at the Guntiger, Elephander, and Zaber Fang. She didn't know who was dead or alive, but suddenly she felt all alone again. "That's it, Van!"

It only took a false move for the Saberlion to fall to the Blade Liger. When she slipped up, Van sliced the Zoid clean in half.

"That's what petty greed and hatred do, Angel. It causes destruction and it causes the soul to never rest in peace."

"Let Bit handle this, Van. He has Zeke with him, and he also has our love and support." Fiona talked to her husband and Van never felt more relieved.

"I understand, Fiona." He radioed the others to pull back. "If you want talk about full potential, just wait and see what Bit and the Liger Zero can do."

Raven and Irvine felt it was too risky, but their Zoids had suffered a lot of damage during the battle. Shadow was unable to stay fused with the Genobreaker and had to let go. Irvine pulled back and prayed that Bit could do it. Leena stood by Van and waited.