Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Anger Rising ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Leena was allowed back into Bit's room after Van left. "If it was anybody else, I'd tell them that they're a fool for going into battle, but that doesn't work with you."

Bit smiled at her as he struggled with his shirt. She walked over to him and guided his arms through the sleeves. His left arm was in a lot of pain, but the doctor said it was a good sign. If he could feel pain in his arm than it meant that paralysis shouldn't be an issue.

"The doctor is going to put it in a sling. Needless to say, he wasn't happy with my decision to leave."

"How was your talk with Van?"

"It wasn't easy, but I thought a lot about what you said. I'm glad I did talk to him."

"You finally decided to listen to me?" Her smile was so comforting to Bit. Without even thinking, he leaned down and kissed her. She kissed him back as she reached up to put her arms on his shoulder. Immediately, she stopped.

"I didn't mean to…" Bit didn't know what to say, "If it was wrong, I'm sorry."

"No, it wasn't wrong at all. I just realized we're going into a battle with enemies on a whole new level."

"We?"

She gave him a curious look, "Don't think I'm letting you fight this alone."

He nodded his head. This time, she was the one that kissed him.

"I'm guessing Bit's going with us." Thomas was concerned.

"It's just as much his fight as it is ours. Did Beak get a trace on anything from the simulation, Thomas?"

"Yeah, someone used a Helcat. We didn't have a chance to chase it, but Beak can still pick up the trail it left behind."

"Then it looks like we're ready to go." Everyone nodded their heads.

"Catherine and I will stay with Fiona. She'll be fine, Van." The colonel felt that it was now safe to leave his wife's side.

Six Zoids were being launched from the Backdraft's hangar. Spence made the announcement to attack after the Zabats had bombarded headquarters. "It won't take long to get them out of their base."

Thomas, Irvine, and Raven were waiting just outside the gate. It was completely silent until Beak started beeping and showing Zoids on radar.

"We've got incoming Zabats!" Thomas radioed to the control tower, "I want all available aerial Zoid units launched now!" The order could be heard booming throughout the base, while Irvine and Raven were shooting down as many as they could.

Van, Bit, and Leena caught up to them and Van told them he ordered the cadets to defend the base. "Thomas, we'll follow you."

Beyond the mountain range, rivals faced off once again. Beak sent out statistics on five enemy Zoids, but couldn't retrieve any information on two of them. The Zaber Fang immediately pounced on the Dibison. A familiar voice came over the radio and threatened Thomas, "Payback time, colonel."

"Megalo Max!" Thomas aimed directly at Nick's Zoid.

Raven was attacked from above and below. Zabats swarmed above him, and below him a Warshark would strike and go back underground. He held his ground firmly.

Irvine charged towards one of the unfamiliar Zoids. The pilot took him by surprise, "You'll be the first to fall to my new Guntiger. Enjoy the show."

Leena was tired of seeing Raven being outnumbered. When the Warshark surfaced for another attack, she fired upon it to draw its attention towards her. "Why don't you fight fair?"

"Backdraft has never fought fair, what makes you think this any different?" She recognized Palta's voice.

Raven took the opportunity to prepare the charged particle beam. He obliterated the rest of the Zabats, but it didn't take long before someone else fired. "Now what?"

An Elephander made an appearance right in front of the Genobreaker. He took the challenge and grabbed the Zoid's trunk. Spence deployed the Iron Claw and tried to rip Raven's pinchers.

Van made sure that he stood between Bit and the last opponent. In front of him, a lion type Zoid roared in anticipation. Bit radioed Van, "Someone's missing. I can feel someone else nearby, but I can't pick up anything on radar."

"I want you to stay back and see if another enemy appears. I'll handle, Angel."

Another voice crackled over Van's radio, "I shouldn't be surprised. But it is interesting to see father and son together."

"We're finishing this now, Angel."

"The Saberlion is even better than your Blade Liger. You're right, colonel, we will finish this."

The speed of their attack pushed the Liger Zero back. Bit was in a daze as he looked at the battles. In front of him, he faced the group that was responsible for separating him and his parents. Anger clouded his mind as he spoke, "You're not leaving me out of this! Do you even realize what you've done? I didn't even do anything to you and you used my life to get the Liger Zero. My mother is lying in a hospital bed struggling to survive, and you drag us out here to fight some old grudge. I don't even see how you can pilot a Zoid."

Angel's mind went back to the day the Liger Zero fused with Van's organoid. She remembered how it took on a life of its own and attacked her Storm Sworder. She remembered how she had to give up the only people that she actually trusted.

Jaq could hear Bit ranting while she was fighting the Lightning Saix. She also began to remember things, though it didn't have anything to do with what Bit was talking about. When she turned 15, she ran away from home. Her father wanted her to become another soldier in the army, but she couldn't bear what it had done to her family. Her mother left because she was tired of lonely and sleepless nights. Jaq decided to leave a few years later, and that's when she met Angel and learned sabotage techniques.

Her concentration was broken and Irvine began to gain the upper hand of the fight. She didn't have any fight left in her, but she didn't want to disappoint Angel again.

The Saberlion turned towards the Liger Zero. Van immediately stepped in front of her. "We're not done here."

"Trying to make up for what you couldn't do all those years ago? How noble."

Bit was ready to jump past Van when he heard a voice. He looked around his cockpit seeing if someone was radioing him, but no one came up on screen. After a minute, he heard the voice again, and realized it was female. He looked around for Leena who was holding her own against the Warshark.

Meanwhile, Moonbay and Catherine called for a nurse to look at Fiona. Her vital signs were rising fast and the nurse had to call in a doctor to examine her.

"I don't understand this. A minute ago, she was almost lifeless, and now it looks like she's been out fighting. We're going to have to calm her down, or the stress could be too much for her body."

Both women left the room and began to pray, "Please Fiona, hold on. Your husband and son are coming back to you, remember that!"

The Liger Zero stopped obeying Bit's commands. It roared and arched its back as Bit looked around bewildered. "Something's wrong."

"What is it? What's wrong with Zeke?" Van instinctively called the Liger, Zeke, and he started calming down. This worried Van as he thought about Fiona. He knew how close the two were and if Zeke was acting up, then something must be wrong with Fiona.

Bit wanted to respond to Van, but he heard the voice again. He listened carefully and heard someone plainly call his name.

Zeke took off away from the battle, and Van began to chase, but Angel stopped him. "We all have our own battles to fight!"

The Liger came to a dead halt as something came towards them. Finally, a Zoid appeared on radar, but by then, Bit could see his enemy.

"Vega Obscura." The Berserk Fury had changed. It was now the color of blood and boasted much higher energy readings than before. On the back, it looked like it had wings that flowed down to its tail. Spikes had been added to the tail which was ripping away at the ground below them. It seemed like something out of a nightmare.