Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Breaking News ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Many things had happened after the brief firefight between the Guardian Force and the Ice Daggers. Moonbay was able to safely take Bit Cloud and try to find him a new home. Zeke, now permanently fused with the Liger Zero, followed Van and Fiona's young son in the Gustav. As parents, Van and Fiona could feel their heart shattering to pieces, but as members of the Guardian Force, they still had a job to do.

Van called out an order to Thomas and Irvine, "Make sure that these two get transported to Red River immediately. Back up reports an ETA of ten minutes."

Thomas was handcuffing Jaq when he heard the order. He could feel the rage in Van's voice and he could tell he was trying his best to keep his composure. "Not a problem."

Irvine echoed the same rage as he arrested Nick. "Not so tough when you have to face somebody that's more than a year old, are you? His prisoner didn't move or make a noise.

The back up Van had talked about arrived right on time. Van and Fiona kept a close eye on the prisoners as they were loaded into an armored truck. Two Zoids led the way, while two stayed behind the truck. The Blade Liger was in between the Dibison and the Lightning Saix as they slowly made their way towards the base.

Fiona held on to the back of Van's chair during the ride. Her grip was so tight that it caused her knuckles to turn white. Van reached back with both hands and offered them to her. She accepted and tried to say something.

"I miss him all ready."

"So do I."

Thomas could hear their conversation in his Dibison. He turned on a private channel and radioed Irvine.

"Do you think they'll be okay?"

Irvine shrugged, "It's tearing them apart inside. Would you be okay?"

"Guess not." He hated to see Fiona in pain, but there was nothing he could do.

Moonbay looked at Bit struggling in his seat. "Poor little guy, he has no idea what's going on." She gently laid her hand on top of his head to get his attention. He turned towards her, and she noticed the small tears running down his cheeks.

She tried to make the young boy understand, "Listen to me, Bit. Your parents love you so much, and I know that's not necessary for me to say. Trust me and trust Zeke and you'll be fine. I bet anything you grow up to be a hero just like your father."

Her wink seemed to subdue him as he stopped struggling in his seat. Even with the sun breaking through the storm clouds, he still felt surrounded by darkness. Moonbay hummed her famous transporter song as he drifted off to sleep.

The transportation of the prisoners had gone off easier than anyone had expected. This made Van worry even more as he personally oversaw Nick and Jaq's transfer to the jail cells.

"There will be a full interrogation after we report to Herman and Schubaltz." That was Van's excuse to get out of the room. He took Fiona and left Thomas and Irvine behind.

"Do you want me to get you something? Anything?" He was trying to comfort her, but something in her eyes made him stop. "Fiona? What's the matter?"

She was looking down at her and Van's rings. Her eyes jumped from hand to hand as she smiled for the first time in a while, "Bit's going to be fine."

Van didn't understand where her statement was coming from.

Fiona took her husband's hand and held it to her heart. She took her other hand in Van's free hand and placed them over his heart. They stood in silence as the sounds of their heartbeats began to beat in the same rhythm.

"Bit's heartbeat is doing the exact same thing. Our blood runs through his veins. I miss him terribly, but I know in my heart and yours, he'll be fine."

The captain finally understood what Fiona was talking about. "And our spirit will be with him wherever he goes. Not to mention Zeke will be with him."

She nodded her head and looked up to her husband's eyes. He smiled back and scooped her up in his arms. They held each other tight until they heard a knock on the door.

"I was just sent to tell you that your presence is requested in the command room," Thomas yelled through the door, "We can't begin without you two."

Van and Fiona nodded at each other and walked out to meet the others.

Later that night, the members of the GF were finding it difficult to get any sleep. Van sat by Fiona's side as she tossed and turned in their bed. They felt that Bit was safe, but it didn't make the pain hurt any less.

Thomas was in the technician's lab with Catherine when he heard the intruder alert blast over the PA system. "All members of the Guardian Force report to your Zoids immediately! The jail cells have been hit and we have prisoners escaping!"

Van was too far from the Blade Liger; by the time he got to the hangar, a sonic wave washed over them.

Irvine was in his Lightning Saix, but couldn't detect anything on radar to pursue. He slammed his fist against the side of the cockpit as he heard Van's voice.

"No joy, buddy?"

"I'm sorry. I couldn't pick up anything on radar."

Van shut off the link and looked up at the sky in disbelief. Thomas called out to him from the control room, but couldn't get through.

Fiona stepped outside and peered into the darkness. Her body grew cold as she sat down in front of her door. Minutes later, Van walked up to her. "I'm sorry I failed you."

She shook her head, "You have never let me down, Van Freiheit, and you never could."

"We'll catch them. I'll make sure of that."