Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Moving On ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The flight was completely silent. Jaq thanked Angel for the bust, but she didn't reply. Jaq took the hint and said nothing else.

The other Triple S was a different situation. Spence and Nick had been discussing what was wrong with Angel.

"I understand she's pissed about missing the Liger Zero, but we couldn't have known Van's organoid could do that. Or is she pissed because me and Jaq were captured?"
"Like you said, we couldn't have known what was going to happen. She's more angry with herself for being caught off guard."

"If she was really surprised, she wouldn't have had these babies ready. Where did they come from?"

"She had these at our new hideout that Jaq had built. That's where we're headed now."

The two Zoids landed on top of a decimated mountain range. Nick looked around at his surroundings. "What are we doing here? Wasn't there a village here at Mt. Isolina?"

"There was, until the Death Stinger went on the war path. The few that survived decided to move on to another village instead of rebuilding here. It left Angel and Jaq plenty of time to prepare this hideout."

Both guys looked over at Angel who was getting out of her cockpit. She went over to a rock mound and pushed a button. Suddenly both Sworders were being lowered into a hangar.

"Nice! This is one hell of a hideout!" Nick was impressed as he inspected the place. He was startled when Angel finally broke her silence.

"Thanks to this failed mission, we are the Guardian Force's public enemy number one."

This statement sunk in to her comrades. What she said next surprised them, "What do you think we should do?"

Nobody knew what to say. Spence finally spoke up, "If it's the Ice Daggers they want, then we should reconsider being together."

Angel nodded her head and Nick remained indifferent. Jaq had a problem, "I can't exactly go back home. What do you expect me to do?"

"Do what you do best. Espionage and sabotage will still be in demand. Assassinations never seem to get old. Just being a mercenary means you're bound to make money somewhere. This is what we have to do to survive."

"What do you want to do with the Liger Zero?" Spence looked at Angel as hatred blazed through her eyes at the sound of that name.

"A Zoid like that shouldn't be too hard to find. Find the Liger, and you find Captain Freiheit's son. The bounty will remain--wanted dead or alive."

"So this is it? It's over after all we've been through?" Jaq wasn't happy at all.

"It just has to look like it's over. Each of us is highly skilled at one thing or another. It might be advantageous for us to keep in contact. One day, we will strike back." Spence worked hard to form the perfect mercenary unit, and he didn't want it all to disappear in a day.

***

Newspapers were quick to print the story about the jailbreak.

Moonbay couldn't believe what she just read. Nick and Jaq had been busted out of jail, so now all four members of the Ice Daggers were reunited. She put the paper down on the table and sipped her coffee. At her feet, Bit was playing with his toys. She smiled when she saw him playing, but looked around the hotel lobby cautiously. Just then, her communicator beeped and Irvine asked if everything was okay.

"We're fine, Irvine. I read what happened."

"I figured you had, that's why I'm calling. How's the little one doing?"

She turned the communicator towards Bit as he looked up and smiled at Irvine. "Guess I'll take that as an okay. Looks like he's adjusting to what's happening."

"For a one-year-old, you'd be surprised how much he understands. I'm pretty sure he's relying on what he feels more than actually understanding anything. We both know where he gets that from." She winked at Irvine as he told her to be very careful and call him the minute trouble stirred.

"Well, Mr. Cloud, are you ready to continue your first journey?" She cradled him as she picked up his things and headed to their room to pack. Their night might have been restless, but once Bit was in the Gustav, he seemed to calm down and fall asleep again.

Moonbay bought a new trailer and loaded the Liger Zero. She covered the Zoid hoping that people wouldn't give it a passing glance.

Fortunately, she had worked for a wealthy couple that couldn't have any children. She felt that they were reliable and trustworthy to raise Bit. They also had quite a Zoids collection, and Zeke should feel right at home. As she explained this to Zeke, he seemed to hang his head down.

"I know you miss Van and Fiona, but you have an important duty to protect their son. They're counting on you to be there for him because they can't. You two might be bored at this new place, but at least you'll be safe."

The transporter had no idea how wrong she would be.

Moonbay was trying to figure out an explanation to tell the couple. Everything she came up with seemed impossible, but when she really thought of the situation, it did seem impossible.

It would take half a day to reach their destination. Hopefully, in that time she could think of a reasonable explanation.

She sang as she drove along into the morning. Finally, as she approached a beautiful mansion, she felt confident enough in a story to tell the young couple. A maid answered the door and allowed her and the child to enter.

"I'm sorry for coming unannounced. I know it's been a long time since I've worked for you two, but that's because something has come up." She stepped to one side and let Bit step forward. He looked around at his surrounding in silence.

"Moonbay, is this your son?" The lady immediately knelt down to Bit.

"Yes, he is. I guess I better explain." She was working hard to convince them that she was a mother with a difficult decision to make.

She hated lying to them, but she had no choice if she was going to keep her promise to Van and Fiona. She explained that Bit's father had been murdered by people he owed money too, and that she and Bit had been spared so they could pay off the debt.

"I didn't even realize he owed so much money to those people. No matter how hard I work, I can't seem to get enough. They threatened my little boy if I couldn't come up with the money, and I saw no other alternative. I need to leave him with someone that can raise him in a protected environment."

Ivan and Erica turned to each other and smiled. "We'd be more than happy to help you, Moonbay. I'm so sorry for your loss."

Moonbay was relieved to hear it, as she gave them heartfelt hugs and thanks. "I know you'll make a wonderful mother."

The woman was grateful to hear such a confident statement and welcomed the little boy in her arms. Bit was confused as he looked at his new parents.

Moonbay understood how frustrating it must be for him to lose his parents, lose her, and now move in to a new home. She hoped with all of her heart that she wasn't making a mistake.

"There's one more thing I want you to have. You can think of it as Bit Cloud's guardian."

"So that's this young fellow's name? It's nice to meet you Bit Cloud." Her smile was warm and loving. Her husband's eyes reflected the same emotions. Bit seemed to feel this and settled down.

"This is the Liger Zero. It was his father's Zoid, and I find it only appropriate if Bit grew up with him."

The couple looked at each other in amazement as they saw the white Zoid. "Moonbay, you're giving up so much. What are you going to do?"

"I'm giving all I have to give for his sake, and that's all that matters." She gave them a weak smile as she left Bit and the Liger behind.