Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ The Dragon Rests ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Berserk Fury was completely submerged in giant tank. Above him, Vega Obscura and Sara stood silent.

Vega finally broke the silence, "How long do you think it will take, Sara?"

She kept her eyes on the Dragon as she answered her son's question, "It's all up to him. He has to decide how much rest he needs to recover. When he's ready, you'll know."

"I'm just glad you'll be okay, Fury. We have a rematch with Bit Cloud and the Liger Zero!"

The Berserk Fury's eyes glowed at the sound of the name. Sara looked at Vega curiously. "What do you mean by that?"

"After we were defeated, I challenged Bit to another battle. I know we're more than capable to handle them!"

She didn't understand how Vega could be taking things so lightly. "You're not angry with Bit Cloud?"

"No, why should I be?"

"Well, because he defeated you! You were the king of the Backdraft until you fought the Liger Zero and his pilot."

Sara was trying to make Vega angry, but it wasn't working. He shook his head at his mother and looked towards the Fury again.

She blinked in disbelief, than left the room.

Major Palta was leaning against the wall as Sara walked out of the room. "Can I help you?"

"More like, can I help you? If you're bringing back the Berserk Fury, than I'm guessing you want to recreate the Backdraft. Am I right?"

"If I was, then what could you do for me?"

"I'm a logical kind of guy. You had the power to get rid of Alteil and most of the other members have left anyway. I need something to do, and this is all I know."

"I'm listening."

"I know of some Zoid pilots that could be useful to you. It would at least be a start."

Sara thought things out in her head for a moment. If the Beserk Fury were to fight the Liger Zero again, it would become even stronger. Hopefully, with the kind of power the Ulitmate X had, they could rebuild the Backdraft. After rebuilding the Backdraft, under her direction, they could take over the ZBC.

"You're right, we need to start somewhere. I want to meet these pilots. When can you set up a meeting?"

"It's difficult to say, but I can call you when I meet them."

"Good, very good. You better keep in touch, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Palta left the building and headed towards town. He looked around at the various merchants until he spotted one in particular.

He acted like he was going to buy the fruit and started talking to the man, "That was some storm last night, huh?"
The merchant nodded his head in agreement and paid close attention to Palta.

"Sure felt like the fury of heaven was being unleashed."

"And here I thought only angels came out of heaven."

Palta lauged, "Yeah! Tell me when you see one."

"I could have sworn I saw one the other day."

"Really? Did she say anything?"

The man nodded his head again. He motioned Palta to a room behind his stand. They both walked in and sat down at a small table.

"Why would you be asking about her? You haven't seen each other in a long time."

"I know. I think it's been about a year and a half now."

"So what does Major Palta want with Angel?"
He leaned forward on the table. "The Backdraft group is experiencing some changes right now. There's a new leader, a new Zoid, new warrior, and everything. When the old guard left, a lot of warriors left, too. They thought there would be no more Backdraft. They were wrong.

"Go on."

"We need Zoid pilots. I know Angel still got it, and I'm sure the rest of her associates haven't gotten rusty. We could use them and their expertise."

"She's been keeping track of things, Palta. At the beginning of the Royal Cup, she knew that ivory Zoid would win. She won a lot of money off that bet."

Palta didn't seem surprised. "If she's been keeping track of things, does that mean she's around here somewhere?"

"You might want to check the bar later tonight. She said she would stick around here for a while."

"Thanks, old man. I might be checking in later."

With that, Palta took off.

***

Day slowly transformed into night. The town seemed more quite than usual, as if the villagers knew something was going to happen. Palto enjoyed being alone out in the streets. He gave the sky one last glance as he stepped into the bar.

A poker game was going on at a table in the corner. The major made his way around the other tables before sitting down directly behind a brunette.

She felt someone approach her from behind, but continued the game. "Full house, gentlemen, show me what you got!"

Each disgruntled face said they had nothing to beat the hand. She raked in the money and said good night to the losers.

"What brings you out here?" Angel concentrated on counting her money and didn't look back.

"I thought I'd play a round of poker, but I guess you have to be rolling in the money to play with you."

She finally turned around, "Seriously, what do you want?"
"Where are you staying?"

"At the hotel. Do you need something?"

"I need to talk to you in private." He got up and waited for her to do the same. They walked out of the bar together and headed down the street.

Only after they reached her room, did Palta say anything. "I know you know what's been happening."

Angel nodded and ran her hand through her shoulder length hair. "I suppose the Backdraft is looking for new recruits. I'm getting too old to be starting my career over as a pilot."

"You haven't lost any of your skill. Besides, this is one of those offers you can't refuse. I want you to meet someone." Palta made a call to Sara and she said she could be there in ten minutes.

A knock on the door signaled her arrival. The first thing out of Sara's mouth was, "I don't believe it."

Major Palta seemed pleased with himself, "Can I deliver, or what?"

"You haven't delivered anything, yet, Palto. I believe me and your boss have to talk."

"Are you Angel? The one from the Ice Daggers? I had no idea what happened to you after that fight."

Angel looked at Sara with interest, "I am who you think I am. It sounds like you know your history."

"I find it useful in my type of work to study anybody that's gone up against the Guardian Force."

The sound of that name made Angel shake her head in disgust. "Now that there's the Zoid Battle Commission, why would you care about the GF?"
"The Backdraft's original mistake was trying to take out just the ZBC. Now I know we must go further than that in order to get rid of the whole problem."

"What's your plan?"

Sara was beginning to sound excited. "We could use the Ice Daggers knowledge to make this come true. What do you say?"

All Angel really wanted was to get revenge on Colonel Freiheit. After all this time, it was still her first goal. Combining the Ice Daggers knowledge of the Guardian Force, and the Backdraft's knowledge of the Zoids Battle Commission, she could finally reach that goal. If she found the Liger, then she could find Bit Cloud. He seemed to be doing well for himself; after all, he had won the Royal Cup.

"I have nothing left to lose, so what the hell?" She stood up and shook hands with her new partner.