Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Stranger... ( Chapter 32 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: Someone who read this asked when Terra died. It was the end of season two. She attacked Slade, but in her anger managed to set off a volcano. In shutting it down again, she was turned to stone.

The Raven's Cry

Chapter 32

"What's going on here, son?"
The young marine guarding the road block jumped and turned to the voice. Sitting astride a large motor cycle was a man, at least six feet tall, with long black hair. He was dressed in a worn leather jacket and blue jeans. "Sorry, sir, no one can go past this point."
"Ah can see that," the man drawled in a thick southern accent, "What I'm asking is why is it here?"
The marine seemed slightly confused by this question, "No one is allowed any closer to the dome." He glanced up to the blood red dome that covered Jump City. "If you get too close it kind of sucks you in, nobody's been able to get out again."
"I see." The man seemed to consider the huge dome, "Then I consider myself warned." He hit his bikes starter and started to make his way around the blockade.
"Sir, you're not supposed to go beyond..."
"I know, I know, it's incredibly dangerous, I know what I'm doing, son." Before the marine could form another protest the man had gunned his bike and shot top speed into the wall of the dome, vanishing completely.

-----------------------

Robin waited for Starfire patiently, standing near the entrance to the tower. While he waited, Beastboy walked in, "Hey, dude."
"Hey Beastboy."
"What's that?" Gar made a grab for a handle sticking up over one of Robin's shoulders.
"That is my new weapon." Robin said, dodging Beastboy's grasping hand.
"Can I see it man?"
"I don't trust you with sharp objects, you're not the most graceful of people."
"Well, would you at least show it to me?"
Robin sighed as he drew the three foot broad sword. "Happy?"
"Very. Is it silver?"
"Mostly. If it's pure silver, then it won't hold an edge."
"Cool."
Robin sheathed his sword as Starfire floated in, "Friend Robin, I am prepared."
"Good, the sun's almost down."


--------------------

Robin looked over the crowded street, much as Beastboy had the night before. Beside him, Starfire hovered inches above the rooftop. "Friend Robin, what do we seek?"
"Just watch out for anything out of the ordinary." He pressed a button on the edge of his newly upgraded mask, activating a heat scanner that he had managed to cram into it.
Starfire studied the throngs below for several minutes, "Please, friend, what is ordinary here?"
Robin took a deep breath, "I don't know anymore."
"I have never been to this part of the city."
"I come every so often. There's not much we can do for it, really." Below them people wandered from seedy nightclub to seedy bars, lurching drunkenly. Others sold drugs openly, not bothering to hide their activities. "Every time we take a drug dealer in, another one pops up. The bars aren't illegal, feeding peoples addictions." Starfire silenced him with a shriek. He turned to her quickly, "What?" He could see that she was staring over his shoulder.
Robin turned as he drew his sword, holding it in front of him, ready to deflect any attacks. He saw a large man, probably over six feet tall, with a solid build. "Put the pig sticker away, son, I'm not here for you." He said as he stared down at the people below.
"Then what are you after?"
"The same thing you are, presumably."
Robin lowered his sword, but did not put it away, "Who are you?"
"My names not important. Just know that I'm here to hunt."
"Vampires?"
"Among other things. There's something else in the city, they often follow the blood suckers around. I think they feed off the pain and death that they cause."
"What are they?"
"You don't need to worry about it. I've already got its scent, I just have to track it down and kill it." He turned and inhaled deeply, "It smells like you've been near it. Probably went past its lair to get here, I'd be careful walkin' home."
"I can handle it."
The stranger barked out a short laugh, "Sure, handle it right up until it takes off your head. I know you can fight, but no human can fight this monstrosity."
"And how can you hope to stand up against it?"
"I'm not all human, son." He took another deep breath, "The sooner I take this thing down, the sooner I can take down the master and get out of here."
"You came in after the dome went up."
"Yeah."
"Why?"
"To hunt." He pointed down to one wandering drunk among the others, "That's a blood sucker, have fun." With that, he walked to the opposite edge of the roof and stepped off into oblivion."

--------------------

Gar dropped a teabag in one cup as he stirred hot coco mix into another. He lifted both steaming mugs gingerly and carried them into the commons room where Raven was curled up on one end of the couch with a book in her lap. He settled into the couch next to her and handed her the cup of tea, "Thanks." he said with a smile.
"No prob." He replied before taking a sip of his coco.
"You know," Raven said with a smile, "With Robin and Star on patrol, and Cyborg working in his workshop on something, we've pretty much got the tower to ourselves."
"Yup."
"Give you any ideas?"
He grinned, "There is one thing."
"Yeah?"
"I can try to beat his high score."
Raven stared at him open mouthed, "That's it?"
"Of course, if there's something you'd rather do, I can be persuaded to change my mind."
"Oh really?" Raven asked as she set her book and her tea on an end table. She leaned over on him, "What would it take to persuade you to change your mind?" She reached up and rubbed the tip of one of his pointed ears.
Beastboy turned and put his arms around her, "You're doin' a pretty good job as is." He leaned in for a kiss, but stiffened and pulled back.
"What is it?" Raven asked, concerned.
"There's something in the tower."