Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ The Beast ( Chapter 33 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 33

Gar crouched as he searched the room for the intruder that he could sense. "Raven, I want you to..." He was interrupted when Raven gasped. He spun and saw, "The beast." It was similar to the beast that he had changed into on occasion, covered in black fur and slightly larger. It was crouching on the other side of the room, its head held high as it took deep breaths, trying to get their scents. Gar walked to stand between Raven and the beast, while it stood unmoving. "Uh, Raven?"
"Yeah?"
"What does it want?"
The monster fixed its gaze on Raven, and surprised them both when it spoke, "You."
Gar took a step forward, putting himself closer to the beast, "Not a chance."
The monster seemed to regard him for a moment, "What are you?" It asked, "I would think you were a demon, but if you were, you would be a runt, and you don't smell like a demon. You smell like a human who has spent too much time at the zoo."
Gar crouched down, ready to fight, "I'm whatever I need to be."
The beast sprang without warning, going for Gar's throat. Gar automatically shifted into what he thought was the best form for fighting the beast, his own version of the beast. When he shifted the black furred monster stopped its charge, "You are a brother? Why do you serve this demon?"
Gar did a swift check and found that this creature did indeed have a voice box capable of human speech, "She is no demon, she is a half demon."
"Half blooded or full blooded, she is still infernal."
"And I do not 'serve' her, she is my mate."
The beast stared in horror, "You betray your brothers by mating this monster!"
"I am not your brother."
"Than what are you?!"
"A shape shifter, I can be anything I want."
At this the monster calmed, "I see. Then you are no threat to me, and I have no loyalty to you."
He sprang forward with surprising speed, knocking Gar easily away, and pinning Raven to the wall, "You will pay for what your people have done."
Raven struggled against his powerful hand for a moment, before giving it up as a lost cause. She leaned to look past the monsters shoulder, and saw Gar pulling himself out of the rubble.
"The lychens suffered under the infernal hand for generations, now I seek vengeance."
"I had nothing to do with your enslavement."
"The guilty blood flows through your veins."
Raven closed her eyes and spoke, three words in one quick burst, "Azerath Metrion Zinthos." The black energy threw the beast away from her, allowing her to collapse to the floor.
It stood and seemed almost to laugh, "You are weakened, demon, and now that will mean your death." He stood over Raven and lifted one clawed hand, ready to inflict a fatal blow, until a green furred claw grabbed his raised wrist and wrenched it back, pulling him off his feet.
"You will not have her." He planted one foot on its chest and held it there.
The beast grinned up, baring wickedly curved fangs, "You can't stop me." He brought a foot up and used it to kick Gar off of him. "You are a week duplicate of a superior being." He turned just in time to get one of Gar's clawed hands shoved into his stomach. He laughed once more as he pulled back, "Your claws are mundane, they do not..." He fell silent as one hand went to his bleeding stomach. He looked confused as his gaze focused on Gar's bloody claws, "You retain the supernatural properties of your form." He stumbled to a window, "I will have to remember that." and fell through.
Gar returned to his normal form and ran to the window, but saw no sign of the beast he had just fought. He turned back and saw Raven leaning heavily on the wall. He ran to her and pulled her to him, cradling her, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah." She muttered, "Just... tired."

--------------------

Robin wiped the last of the dull gray ash off the blade of his sword. Though it was difficult to kill a vampire, even with a silver blade, they had quickly learned that Starfire's starbolts and eye beams had the same effect as sunlight. He turned to Starfire who seemed to be staring at a point on the ground, her eyes almost blank. "Are you okay?"
She looked up quickly, almost seeming surprised. "I will be okay. I have never..."
"I know." Robin turned and watched as the sun breasted the horizon, "If you want to fly back to the tower, you could be there in just a few minutes."
"I do not think that I am able to fly presently."
Robin nodded somberly, "Then we'll walk back together." Robin resheathed his sword, and the two titans turned to the tower that they could see in the distance.

--------------------

"Raven, hon, can you here me?" Raven felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Raven, wake up." Gar's voice was tinged with concern.
Raven slowly opened her eyes against the bright lights of the infirmary. A strong hand behind her helped her to sit up, and a glass was placed in her hands. "What's going on?" She asked.
"Do you remember what happened?" She couldn't see Gar, he was now sitting behind her, supporting her. She knew that if he wasn't there, she would not be able to sit up.
"Yeah, we were attacked, but what happened after he left?"
"You passed out. Drink your juice."
Raven looked down at the glass of orange juice, "I'm not thirsty."
"You need some quick energy. Cy said that if you didn't drink that, he'd put you on an IV."
Raven sighed, but took a sip of the overly sweet juice, "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. That monster might be while before he's back on his feet, though."
"It looked like you tore him up pretty well."
"I try my be..." He trailed off and Raven could here him inhale deeply.
"What's wrong?"
"I think he's back."
"What?"
"I can smell him." Gar stood and gently lowered Raven back to the bed. He walked to the only entrance to the room while he shifted smoothly into the beast. When he yanked the door open, he tore the top hinge away from the wall. He didn't hesitate at all as his long arm shot into the dark hallway beyond and pulled in a struggling Robin.
"What's going on?" Robin asked, almost shouting.
Gar dropped him and stepped back as he shifted to his normal form, "Sorry, Raven was just attacked, so I'm kind of on edge."
"Raven was attacked, here?"
"Cyborg's going over the security system with a fine tooth comb. He's determined to figure out how it got in."
"What was it."
"I don't know."
Raven cut in, "I know what it was."