Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Pirates ❯ Always the Pain ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: Whoo hoo! Back in action once again! Writing on the 5th chapter of this lovely Don Karnage fanfic! Sorry for my lack of updates in the past, there will be more updates to come at a quicker pace then usual.
On to the show!
A Tale of Two Pirates
Chapter 5: Always The Pain
By: Oneesan no Miroku Houshi
The captain approached his lackeys, who have carried out the initiation, Colleen passing every test. Mad Dog, Dump truck and Colleen were all assembled in a small group, talking amongst each other as he was making his way to them.
“Hey, yer perty good.” The burly Swedish figure complimented.
“Wow, I didn’t know there were so many techniques you could use for doing that.” Mad Dog, though partially resenting her and not trusting her, also complimenting her on her vast skill.
“Thanks guys,” She complimented with a smile as she held a wrench upwards in her hand. “I caught on quick.”
“Ve see dat, I think the captain will like yer job on the planes.” Dump truck told her.
“I hope so. I can’t wait to be part of the crew.”
Mad Dog crossed his arms. “Yeah, well it won’t be that easy. And if you think it is, you’ve got another thing coming.”
The vixen blinked in confusion at Mad Dog’s remark. Why did he resent her so? Ever since she first came to the Iron Vulture, she felt bad vibes from him, and at the moment, he wasn’t giving her too friendly of a look.
She frowned and the burly figure behind her just blinked and put a finger to his mouth.
“Well, well well.” They all heard and faced Don, who was standing proudly in front of them. “How did she do?”
“She did vell cap’n.” Dump truck told him.
“She even taught us a thing or two, I must admit captain.” Mad Dog replied.
“Oh, is that so?” The blue clad captain asked. “Well, Miss…”
“Colleen.”
“Yes, Miss Colleen-type-person let us go into the confines of the captain’s quarters and talk things out amongst each other.”
Don walked up to Colleen, putting an arm around her and walking to the captain’s quarters. Colleen almost blushed at the contact; this was something she could only dream about. They walked slowly into the captain’s quarters and shut the door behind them, while Mad Dog and Dump truck stood there, silent and confused.
“I wonder what they’re talking about.” The lanky one asked.
“I don’t know.” Dump truck told him.
Both of them inched their way to the door, as to not let Don hear them approach and they put their ears to the door, trying to listen to their conversation, but only getting muffled voices in return.
“You did well.” Don told Colleen from within the depths of the room.
“I appreciate the compliment, Karnage.” Colleen told him. “So, why am I here?”
“Because you passed the initiation, of course, so now you are privileged for me to grace you with my presence.” He told her in a conceited voice.
Colleen frowned.
“Why, I am surprised that a person such as you would even get this faaa-AR!” The pompous pirate yelled as he was slammed up against the wall and held by his collar by the angry vixen.
When Don came to his senses, he looked at Colleen with an angry glare. “Hey! What is the big idea? You could have bruised my beautiful body.”
“I’ve had enough of you making fun of me, okay? I’m going through enough and you know what? It’s bad enough that I come all this way just to find you only to find out that you’re an arrogant jerk.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Don’t you even recognize me?” Colleen asked sadness and disparity shining in her blue eyes.
“Now that I think on it with my mind, you do look familiar a little when I squint.”
“It’s me, Collen Lufur.”
“Yes, I know your name, you told it to me when you first arrived.”
The blonde looked down. “I guess you really don’t remember…What a shame, because I remember you…”
“Then tell me who exactly you are, besides someone who I’m not sure is in possession of all of their marbles.” Don told her.
“I’m the one you made the promise to at the beach, remember?” She asked, azure eyes looking to him with plead.
Suddenly, a whirlwind of nostalgia hit Karnage and the same flashback resurfaced in his head.
Two children stood at the edge of an ocean. The sand and all surroundings were illuminated with the orange tint of the sun as it set in the horizon.
There was a male and female child, standing there in bathing suits. The female child was standing shyly, and the male child was holding her hand with both of his.
Sorry I can’t stay much longer, but I have to go and plunder! I am going to become a pirate. Just you wait and look-see.”
The female’s blue eyes shone with sadness and she didn’t say a word.
When I’m a pirate, I’ll come back and take you with me. We shall plunder to-gether!” The male child stuck a brown finger into the air dramatically.
Promise?” The female asked, coming out of her façade of sadness.
I promise.” The male child replied, giving the female a small hug, then waved and ran off into the sunset, never to be seen again.
Don’s thoughts began to run wild.
That girl…’
Oh Don, it’s you.”
That girl, she is…’
I don’t want to go back; I want to stay with you.’
“You are…” Don finally murmured.
Colleen looked down. “It’s not like you care. I came all this way to find you and it was all in vein.” She turned away from him. “Look, I didn’t mean to slam you into the wall, it’s just…I tried so hard to get fulfill the promise, because I knew you’d forget, and you kept making fun of me, like I haven’t had enough put downs. “
“But I did remember…” Don’s voice had an heir of something foreign to it, something uncharacteristic to his usual plundering self. Something kind.
He placed a hand on her shoulder. “Colleen…”
She turned around, frowning and looking at his hand, deep sorrow shone in her deep blue eyes.
The blonde put a hand atop his gently. “I’m glad you finally remember me.”
“But I thought you seemed familiar when I saw at first sight. I just didn’t know what was familiar.”
“Do you remember me now?” She asked, in one last attempt.
“I do. And I must admit, you are nothing like you used to be. Did you turn into a pirate just to find me?” He asked.
“That was part of the reason, but not the whole reason. I wanted to be more like you. As a child I was weak and defenseless, and while you were gone, I didn’t want to seem that way to anything I faced. It was always so comforting running into you, and I wanted to find that comfort zone within myself, but I could never find it. Now that you’re here, I feel as if I’ve gotten something returned that was stolen from me, like an empty place has been filled.”
“Things were certainly not the same after you left.” Don told her. “I am most certainly glad that you are back, Colleen.”
She smiled at him, a new found hope filling her. “I like when you smile.”
“It was only meant for you and I am convinced of it by now.” She told him in a slightly happier voice. “I only smiled a real smile when you were around me.”
“You know, if you still would like, you can always speak to me with your mouth. We have much to catch up on, yes-no?”
“Of course.”
TBC
A/N: This is moving a bit faster then previously planned. Some of the material I have forgotten and some I have with me. That’s alright though, I can still work off of what I have written so far and come up to some conclusions. I am also going to answer some series questions too like how he got the Iron Vulture and where are his parents? These are all to come.
Please R&R!