Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Pirates ❯ The Internal Workings of Don Karnage ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Here I am with another chapter. Sorry for the lack of updates on this, the chapter before you was hard to collaborate. It goes into characterization with what I think are Karnage’s thoughts on the situation at hand, as well as some other things.

Anyway, here is chapter 4!

Enjoy!

A Tale of Two Pirates

Chapter 4: The Internal Workings of Don Karnage

By: Oneesan no Miroku Houshi

The pirate sat in his captain’s quarters, contemplating to himself over the recent turn of events. Acquiring another crew member wasn’t so bad; in fact, it was an extra score for Karnage. It was definitely a good thing that this crew mate seemed to be no bumbling idiot like the others.

In fact, she was intelligent. But he pondered on the intelligence of this vixen; she was indeed no spring chicken.

There was something about her that brought about an heir of familiarity for Karnage, as if he had known her from the past, but how? The only things Don remembered were his rise as an air pirate…but there was one woman he could remember…

She was small, at least back then and always wore frilly dresses and nice sun hats. The small child was a fox girl, very girly indeed, with long blonde hair that shown in the sun and a beautiful smile…In fact, the only time she did smile was when she was around him. Whenever she had to part with him, a deep set frown and sadness had shown clearly through in her eyes. If often times made Don ponder on how her life was at home.

He had remembered that day on the beach, when he told her that he was going to become an air pirate…Those eyes. Those eyes that he just couldn’t ignore. Those eyes filled with an endless blue pool of sadness.

That wasn’t the only time he had seen her that look in her eyes, there were a few times when she had ran from home and hid in a small crevice or a tiny cave. Her parents would be worried sick about her. Since they had known that often times she was with Don, they would ask him if he had seen her and his answers were always no.

After a while of worrying himself, he would go and search for his friend, who was crying in her crevice.

“’Ello, ‘ello.” Don’s voice echoes throughout the small hole.

There would be nothing but snivels and chokes in response.

The young boy would clear his throat and proceed to talk once again, repeating what he had just said. “I said, ‘ello, ‘ello!”

She snivels, sobs and chokes would stop, the diminutive figure looking up from her spot, sat at the back of the cave. There was a silent pause between the two, the brown figure at the end of the cave peered as far back as his eyes could allow him to see, he then heard small footsteps moving at a fast pace. He then could feel himself being hugged by the small figure and let out a yelp.

“Oh Don, it’s you.” The small figure spoke through sobs.

The male looked confused for a moment, then looked down, put a gentle arm around her and a hand on her now bare head, seeing as the sun hat went flying off at her top speed run.

“Your parents are looking for you.”

“I know.” She admitted. “I don’t want to go back; I want to stay with you.”

“That is nice and all, but we could get in trouble, you know.”

“Couldn’t you stay? At least for a little while?” She asked, looking up at him with tear filled orbs.

“Well, I-“ He paused, then spoke again. “Alright, I shall bless you with my presence. But only for a little while, then you have to promise me that you’ll go home.”

“I will.” She laid her head back on his chest and just cried.

Why were these memories all of a sudden resurfacing in the air pirate’s head? They were so long ago.

Perhaps it was this new recruit. There were things about her that seemed familiar: her hair, it was that same color blonde, vibrant and rich, she was a fox, just the same as the girl from his past…But she was so different as well. She was a real tough cookie, and had vast knowledge of being an air pirate, her eyes were still that same color blue, but there was no innocence or eminent sadness. The captain picked up a mirror and gazed at the eyes in his reflection, he supposed that that would be true with himself as well. This new recruit, one Miss Colleen Lufur. Her eyes shone cold as the starless midnight sky, yet there was something there, hiding beneath the surface. He also could not recall a time when she did smile as of yet.

Could she be this girl from his past?

Nonsense!

How could she be that girl? Surely she would’ve remembered him by now! But on second thought, how many times has she actually seen him, maybe twice or three times? That and hiding in his captain’s quarters didn’t help her memory at all.

It would be impossible!...Or at least near impossible. What were the odds of finding her again?

But then again…He did make the promise of seeing her again, one of his fondest memories.

Still looking into the mirror, he propped his head up with one arm and rested his other arm out, holding the mirror a decent way from his face. He sighed and looked a bit dejected.

What am I thinking about? Why should I care about something that happened so many years ago? Then why can’t I forget?’

He sat the mirror down and slowly arose from his chair. “Well, I suppose it’s time to have a look-see at my crew and make sure they haven’t kill-ed each other yet. Ah, what would they do without me?”

With the thoughts of the past still fresh in his head, Don walked out of the captain’s quarters, and out to his crew.

TBC

A/N: Well, there’s another chapter. I hope I put some depth into Karnage. I’ve been trying to deepen the air pirates characters to make them seem more realistic.

Please R&R and tell me what you think!