Fan Fiction ❯ A Warmer Winter ❯ A Warmer Winter ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*

"What happens when one night you don't answer the signal?"

The Batman haunched over forward, the heel of his palm scraping against the roof's edge. Eye slits narrowed, and a raise of shoulders indicated the steady breathing's resume. Firm lips pressed together, and didn't dare open to answer.

The look on Commissioner Gordon's face said clearly that he wasn't impressed. He huffed and dug his hands into his pockets, the flutter of his overcoat joining in with the tapered cape below him. "Not in the mood to talk tonight?"

"What did you need?" Batman demanded.

"Nothing." Gordon's voice was plain, tinged with an air of disrespect as he reached inside his coat pocket.

Both of the Bat's arms twitched as he planned to hoist himself away... but he paused as though trapped by an unknown force. "Nothing?"

"Nope. Nothing."

The dark figure turned to look behind him, moving slowly up to meet with the eyes of the Commissioner. His cape slapped against his legs and then flushed out behind him, curling upward into the air. A moment passed without words.

A puff of breath left Gordon's mouth, and wafted between them, joined hearbeats later by another breath. This time it was the Batman's lips that parted, and another forceful wind swept it away.

"You simply felt the urge to waste my patrol time?" The Batman lifted a brow and folded his arms over his chest. His height was intimidating beside the other man.

"Wasting it?" Gordon shook his head quickly and lit up a ciggarette, drawing from it a few times before letting his hands retreat inside his overcoat. "You haven't answered my question."

"If I don't answer the signal, you take care of matters another way."

"I meant between us."

The silence between them that descended was interrupted by the cold weather, ripping across the roof of the GCPD sparratically. Both men stared at each other, neither seemingly intimidated by the other.

And then quickly, Batman turned to leap from the building. He lurched forward onto the edge, and was mildly startled to find a pull on his cape. Gruffly, he spoke between gritted teeth. "Yes?"

"Do you enjoy being alone all the time?"

"I don't understand."

"You never pause to ask how my life is going. You never tell me you enjoy the way the nights are so warm sometimes. You can't even so much as answer a simple question. Do you know what it's like to stand here every night and hope to be spoken to?"

Batman whirled around and glared down at the Commissioner. There was a soft grunt as he opted to respond, but then it cut off unexpectedly. After a sigh, he offered, "You could do something worthwhile."

"What?"

"If I didn't answer the signal. You could go out. Make friends. Find another person to spend your time with."

The Commissioner cracked a smile, then, and chuckled as he dropped the ciggarette to the ground. A worn shoe crushed it and put it out. "I want to be your friend."

"You are my friend," Batman protested quietly.

Jim Gordon lowered his eyes and then closed them, rubbing his forehead to massage away the ensuing headache. By the time he looked up, he more than expected the Bat to be long-gone.

He wasn't.

"Am I really?" Gordon took a couple of steps forward, furrowed his brow and pursed his lips. The tilt of his head hinted strongly that he was being curious, watching the expression - or lack thereof - on the taller man's face.

"More than you may realize, Jim."

The space between them decreased further, suddenly, when Batman surged forward a step. Gordon hid his shock, and calmly glanced downward at their feet before meeting with the white eyes. The wind howled and swept through limbs and clothes, pushing the police Commissioner toward his brooding friend.

Maybe it was stupid... or maybe it was desperate... but for some reason, Gordon found himself quite suddenly entangled in the Batman's strong arms, nestling against muscles he'd never dared even brush against until that moment.

The careful beating inside Batman's thick chest pounded in Gordon's ears, his body warm in the arms of an old friend. The yielding of soft flesh beneath black cloth was remarkable... forbidden to all and then openly offered to the one who had least expected it. Hands probed for a hold, and found nothing but smooth cloth and the metal of a belt, settling with laying contently against his back.

"You're the only friend I have," Gordon mumbled.

Batman drew the cape around them both, shielding their bodies from the wind of an early winter season. He closed his eyes and settled into a soft smile.

Patrol could wait...

*