Fan Fiction ❯ Acception or Rejection ❯ My Scott ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

ENJOY!

Acception or Rejection

Chapter 2

Kevin's POV

Scott came back from the bathroom. He wasn't happy. My brother's work apparently. He came over and I stood up giving him a come on hand motion we went out to the backyard where I sat down on one of the swings on the swing set. My mother and father had bought it for us I don't know how many years ago. My brother and I got much too old for it quickly but my parents had never gotten rid of it. I had once asked my mom on a Thanksgiving break why she kept the old thing she had responded, "Because I'm expecting grandchildren." Needless to say that made me feel really bad. Maybe Heath could take care of that? I didn't know.

Scott came and sat down in front of me. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"That damn brother of yours." I knew it.

"What'd he do?" I asked.

"He told me that I basically needed to stay away from you. He thinks that I'm some kind of drug-filled jock." I shook my head.

"I'm sorry Scott. Like I said my brother might be a jerk but he's still protective." He sighed.

"I guess I understand." He told me and I smiled. "So what do you think we have planned for the day?" He asked.

"I told my mother that I need to go to the mall today for Christmas presents. She said that reminded her she had some last minute shopping too."

"Sounds good to me I haven't done any shopping either." It was decided.

Heath's POV

I didn't understand. How in the world could my little brother have ever gotten mixed up with a guy like Scott? I watched him walk past me and down the stairs. First time I saw the guy I knew he was trouble. I didn't care what Scott said. He was probably lying to me anyways.

I went downstairs to find my brother and his "friend" gone. "Where did Kevin and Scott go?" I asked.

"They went out the back door." My mother said. I sat down where my brother had vacated. I wondered what my brother could have gotten into while he was in college. Drinking? Drugs? Might he still be a virgin? He didn't seem different but who knew. My brother had been lead in almost every play in high school. It wouldn't be hard for him to act as he normally might.

I had spent a lot of my life barging in on my brother and watching him with a hawk's eye because I didn't want him to act like a lot of people I knew. Kevin had loads of potential one little slip up into the wrong crowd and everything could go down the drain. I didn't want my brother to feel like he had to achieve all the time or anything like that I just didn't want him to have a bad job or something like that. I wanted him to be happy, to have a good life. If that meant I had to herd him around like a little lamb I would do it.

Kevin had often said that I was overprotective but I didn't think so. We had had many an argument over the subject but I figured that was to be expected. Now that my brother was in college though it was hard to do that. I myself hadn't gone to college. Unlike my little brother I wasn't as gifted. I had a knack for cars and that's what I got into. My parents were just as proud and I had plenty of money to buy food and pay bills.

I heard the back door open and the duo came in.

"Mother Scott and I have some Christmas shopping to do. Didn't you say you had some shopping as well?" He questioned.

"That's a wonderful idea. To the mall." She said standing up. My mother as you could tell had lots of energy. Especially when it meant she could shop.

"Hope you have fun." My uncle told us.

Kevin's POV

My mother tried to get my uncle to come along but of course he wouldn't. He didn't like malls. They were crowded and noisy not his kind of place. His complaint was that he had done his shopping. Finally my mother gave up and followed the rest of us out the door. Mom and dad got in front and I wisely sat in between Heath and Scott. I didn't want to start WW3 in the car. That wouldn't be pretty.

My father pulled out and we drove down the street. I didn't have a great view but I didn't need it. I knew this town up and down. It wasn't really small but it sure wasn't big. I knew a lot of the people who lived in town because I knew they're kids or I had been introduced to them at some point. Some I knew because my parents knew and others were the actual children I went to school with. And just about everybody in town knew who I was whether they had met me or not. I had had my face in the newspaper so many times who wouldn't know except non-subscribers? I'm not bragging in fact it often annoyed me. People would often come to me and say hello my name is so and so you don't know me Kevin but… I mean who wouldn't be annoyed by that. Ego-maniacs I guess. It had been nice to go to college where no one knew me except some of the teachers.

I laid my head back on the seat and closed my eyes. I felt Scott's eyes avert to me. My brother still stared out the window.

"Something wrong?" I heard Scott ask.

"Nothing." I told him. "Just bored. Never could enjoy a car ride lest I drove." I told him.

"Yep I remember him complaining all the time that he was bored. Bud was always yelling at him to shut up and deal with it." My mother said. I felt my cheeks go a little red. Scott was going to learn a lot about me with the next few days that he didn't know. Probably because I didn't want him to know. I knew he was smiling right now.

We drove to the local mall and my father found a parking place. We got out and walked to the front doors. Inside we were greeted by a plethora of human bodies and shops. I could understand why my uncle hadn't wanted to come

"Well seeing as we are all buying gifts for each other we should split up. Scott dear come with me. Heath you and your brother go on. Bud come with us or you're on your own. Don't leave your partner. Let's meet in the food court about noon." My mother said taking control of the situation. Heath and I nodded but I didn't even have to look at Scott to realize that going it alone with my mother was not top on his list.

We paired up and headed out. My father saying his shopping was done he went off on his own. I followed my brother seeing as he had pretty much taken the lead. I watched as Scott followed after my mother head down. I felt sorry for him.

Scott's POV

I sighed. This was not fun. Dharma was nice but it still wasn't very comfortable. I followed Dharma around a shop that I wasn't even going to think of buying something in. It was a clothes shop but everything in it was for mothers who wanted to buy their children respectable clothing.

I followed Mrs. Lancaster around the little store holding onto certain items. "So Scott tell me about your mother." She said to me.

"I don't know her." I told her. She stopped and turned to me.

"What do you mean dear?" She asked.

"My mother left before I knew her." I told her plainly.

"Oh. Sorry to hear it." I shrugged and she turned back to what she was doing. "My son seems to like you a lot. How did you two meet?" She asked.

"We were roomed together in our first year. At first we didn't really get along. We had a difference of opinions but after awhile we warmed up to each other." She led me to the cash register where she paid for the selections she had made. I followed her out of the store and towards another. It was basically just a gift shop called New Tides Gifts. I might like this place.

"That's good. I'm glad that Kevin has found some friends at college. He didn't have many going through grade school or high school sure he got along with just about every body but he never really had a friend. Except for maybe Lena." I rolled my eyes behind her back. Kevin had told me all about Lena. It was only his in-bred courtesy that made him detest my nickname for Lena. Devil bitch from hell. Lena was still sending him letters well until Kevin told her his true preference. Shows how faithful she is to her boyfriend.

"Did you two have fun yesterday?" She asked.

"Loads of fun. This might be a pretty small town but it sure is fun. A trip to the park can last all day. Back in my hometown you didn't spend even an hour in the park because you were scared of getting shot or something like that."

"Where are you from?" She asked.

"New York City, New York." Yep I grew up in the big apple. I called it 2nd Hell.

"Oh the big apple I heard it looks real nice in the winter time." I nodded. It did if you lived in the certain part of the town. You lived in the slums about the only changes from the warm season you get is a cold front to rival the north pole and snow that as soon as it lands it turns brown or black.

"Sometimes." I told her. I stopped and looked at a journal. Kevin always kept a journal. He liked to keep one and presently he was on his last few pages. I picked it up. It was pretty nice. It was leather bound with lock and key. I opened it to find a pen and pencil placed delicately inside along with an address book and agenda a small calendar and a large amount of journal space. I then looked at the price. I grimaced. 20 bucks. I shrugged it was perfect for Kevin. If I was lucky I might be able to find someone in town who could place Kevin's name on it. I held onto it.

I followed her to the register paid for my purchase and followed her out again. This was going to be very tedious.

Kevin's POV

"So little brother how are you enjoying your college years?" Heath asked me as we browsed a store.

"It's pretty good. A lot better than high school. What's it like in Texas?" I asked him.

"Same old same old. So where did you meet that Scott guy at?"

"We were placed in the same room. At first we had problems but now we get along."

"I don't like him."

"He's a nice guy. He doesn't have all of the best habits but he's really a good guy." My brother gave his famous snort and went back to what he was doing. I shook my head. "You should try to get along with him." I told him.

"Why should I?"

"Because for one he's my friend another our guest."

"I don't care who he is. He's probably some drunken druggie."

"No he's not Heath. He's a good guy."

"Oh really what were those habits you were talking about earlier?" He asked me.

"I can't tell you. If Scott wants you to know he'll tell you. Go ahead and ask him if you want to know." I told him.

"Fine I will. Tonight at dinner." I shrugged. It was his choice. Scott would be put on the spot but I knew he wouldn't care this time. Scott knew he had been a bad kid and had gotten into some bad stuff but he wasn't afraid to admit it. He knew it was wrong and he admitted it. He wasn't one of those people who tried to rationalize at least not too much. His theory was if you're going to do it admit it.

Scott's POV

We headed to the food court about 11:55 knowing that it was soon to be noon. We were greeted by Kevin's father and soon after by the young Lancasters. We had some lunch and then head back home. Kevin smartly sat between me and Heath again. He like me didn't feel like having anybody get into anything.

Once home I followed Kevin back up the stairs while he went to the bathroom I placed my gift for him underneath the bed. He had no reason to look under there I had amazingly been able to keep things somewhat clean. He came back in and had a bit of a grim face on.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

"No nothing at all." He said smiled and then laid down on his bed. I shrugged.

Heath's POV

This was going to be interesting. I had practically been invited to ask Scott his terrible habits. This guy was probably full of them. My mother had come to the guest bedroom and told my uncle and me that dinner would be ready soon and we nodded. She left and my uncle sitting on his bed looked at me.

"What have you got planned?" He asked me as I sat on my bed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked him.

"Don't play dumb with me Heath Anthony Lancaster. I'm not stupid. I know you got something up your sleeve to embarrass your brother."

"Hardly dear uncle." I said trying to sound sarcastic. "Not to embarrass my little brother but his little friend." He gave me a hateful look.

"Leave him alone. He's done nothing to you." He told me.

"I don't trust him. I have a feeling that he has completely corrupted my little brother."

"He might have changed your little brother some but he certainly hasn't corrupted him. If you ask me he's changed him for the better. He seems happier to me." I told him. I snorted.

Scott's POV

I followed Kevin downstairs and to the dining room. I sat at the table and listened as everyone else at the table bowed their heads for grace. Being an atheist I didn't partake in that part of the dinner experience. I heard Mr. Lancaster say "Amen" and the we all started in on some food.

I was handed the mashed potatoes and I handed the biscuits. Kevin sat on my right across from his brother and me across from his uncle. Mr. Lancaster sat to my left at the head and Mrs. Lancaster at the end. I figured it was as far away from Heath as I could get. If I could I would have put a thousand miles between us but since I couldn't I dealt with it.

"Scott." I heard Heath ask. I grimaced as I looked up from my plate to his gleaming smile. "My brother here has told me that you have some bad habits. I was wondering what they may be." I looked to Kevin who didn't look at me. I took a small shake of my head.

"Yes, I have some bad habits. Most are of had but yes. For one thing I smoke. Not constantly but I take a cigarette every now and then. I used to have a drug addiction. I was pure druggie. I don't drink. Never found hangovers attractive. I have problems with anger. Hell what am I saying I smacked my younger cousin once because she pissed me off. As you can tell I'm a fluent curser. Also, you have no idea how many times I've gotten in trouble for fights. Most of that shit is in the past but not all. Now if you'll excuse me. Thank you Mrs. Lancaster that was a wonderful meal even if it was cut short." I stood up and went outside to the backyard standing on the porch. I leaned against the railing and stared at the setting sun. I lit up a cigarette and took a drag.

I stood up and ran outside and found Scott smoking on a cigarette and staring. I came up behind him. "I'm sorry." I told him.

"You're sorry?" He said in a forced calm.

"Heath was asking about you. I told him that you had some bad habits but you were a good guy. I told him I couldn't tell you because it was your personal business. I told him to ask you. He said that he would at dinner. I said fine because if I tried to stop him he would think we were trying to hide something from mom and dad." He whirled around.

"Fuck Kevin I don't give a damn that he asked." He yelled. "What bothers the shit out of me was the fact that I've been working to give your parents a good impression. Then that shit head of a bother goes and fucks it all up. Hell compared to most of my life I've been acting like a saint around here. Plus, if you knew shit why the hell didn't you tell me. It would have prepared me a little for that kind of shock." He yelled even louder.

"I…I'm sorry. There's nothing else I can really say. I'm sorry Scott. I…I really am. I may have screwed everything up." I felt a tear run down. I didn't want Scott upset with me. He was the only one who I had ever really fallen for. No one else compared to him. I let my head fall as I felt more tears fall.

I felt someone encircle their arms around me. I looked up and saw Scott staring down at me. "Shh…It's alright. I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I shouldn't have yelled." I encircled my arms around him and we hugged as he stroked my head. He kissed my hair and placed his head on top of mine. This was Scott. My Scott.

OK OK I know this is really really really short but I thought the My Scott line was so cute and had to remain at the end of the chapter. Maybe I'll write more for the next chappie. Hope you enjoyed this one. There's more to come as long as my laptop still works.