Fan Fiction ❯ Believe ❯ 001: The Chase ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, before you read, I guess I should tell you a few things. One, this is an -extremely- AU fic. I'm trying my best not to distort the characters' personalities, but forgive me if Kairi seems a bit… off. She was never my favorite character in the game, so I didn't pay close attention to her actions. Another thing, about the location, think… Carmel, California. It's a beautiful, but very small city by the sea. (Maybe not Carmel, but the one here is.) More on this later. For now, on with the story!

--~*~--

She didn't know who, or why, but someone was after her.

Kairi ran blindly down the dark, deserted street. She cursed out loud when her foot caught on a crack in the sidewalk, nearly causing her to lose her balance. She could hear the steady footsteps behind her, and they were getting closer.

---

Sora kicked at a stone on the path. Sighing heavily, he plopped down on the nearest bench and looked up at the clear night sky. Everyone in the small city was at the funeral; everyone except him, that is. He'd arrived there earlier with his mother and father, but left soon after that. One look at Riku told him that he wouldn't be able to handle being there for long. That look on his face... There was no way Sora was going to let Riku see him cry. Not ever.

So he left, wandering around the seemingly empty city until he came to the park. It was more than just a park, mind you. There was the massive concert hall and outdoor stage along with a mid-sized lake and camping areas, not to mention miles of walking paths. Sora rather liked this place; he often came here to sort things out in his mind. There was always a place you could be alone and undisturbed to do just that, too.

He stretched out on the bench; he could already tell that tonight was going to be a long night.

---

Kairi cursed again and picked herself up off of the ground--she had fallen that time--and continued running as fast as she could. The footsteps behind her were even louder now. She saw a cluster of trees and the glistening of moonlight on water ahead of her, and silently pleaded that someone would hear her screams.

---

Sora's eyes fluttered. He'd nearly dozed off, but a persistent noise had kept him awake. Yawning, he sat up and tried to discern what he was hearing. Kami*, that awful noise... I wish it would stop. It sounds like... Like someone screaming! Sora got to his feet and looked around. But why? And where? I don't see anyone. Squinting his eyes, he looked hard into the distance. There! He spotted movement near the lake. Running toward it he thought, What's her problem?

---

She was on the ground again. Her vision was failing from the fall--she had hit her head on the low concrete wall--and she wasn't entirely sure where she was, but Kairi knew one thing for certain: whoever was chasing her had finally caught up.

There was a hand on her right arm, roughly forcing her onto her back. It stayed there, and with enough pressure behind it that she was sure she couldn't move. In fact, it felt as if this person was crushing her shoulder. She moaned softly out of pain, some of it coming from her arm, but most of it from her head. She squeezed her eyes shut, her mind spinning.

"Open your eyes." The tone was low, but commanding. It was definitely a man.

"Nnh.." Kairi did as she was told and took in the man's features. The first thing she noticed were the bright orange, cat-like eyes close to her face. She also noted the man's long, light, almost violet-colored hair. Most of it was covered by the black hood he was wearing, but a few stands had fallen out to tickle her face. Nothing about this person was immediately familiar, so she closed her eyes again and wished for the throbbing pain in her head to stop.

"I said, open your eyes." He said it more forcefully this time.

Kairi's eyes shot open when she felt cool steel placed against her throat. "W-what do you want with me?" she choked out, trying not to move because she knew all too well what that cold steel was.

"Ah, I see you are still with me. Good. I almost thought you'd done my job for me. I would've hated to see that happen; this is my favorite part."

"What do you want," Kairi spat out angrily. She'd come back to her senses for the most part, but she still didn't know who this person was or why he was attacking her.

"You don't recognize me, then? That's a shame." The knife was pressed harder into her throat, she could feel a small stream of blood trickle down her neck.

Kairi's mind was racing. "Enough!" She tried to push the hand away from her neck, and the man responded by bearing down harder on her shoulder. Kairi winced and resigned herself. "Tell me why you're doing this!"

The man laughed a short, dry laugh, and spat back at her: "You saw too much, my child, and I cannot allow you to share that secret of yours with anyone else."

Kairi's thoughts came to a screeching halt. "You!" Her eyes widened in fear. "But I haven't told anyone! I swear I won't!"

"As much as I would like to take your word for it, I'm afraid I can't take the risk. One who knows nothing can understand nothing. And you, my dear, could not possibly fathom the circumstances of what you saw." The knife was removed, replaced by both of the man's hands around Kairi's neck.

Kairi gasped for air in vain. She clawed at his hands, but he only tightened his grip. Her vision was growing dark again. She tried to scream one last time, but it came out as just a squeak. There was a burning pain in her chest as her lungs were starved for air. Finally, she felt herself falling into darkness and let her arms rest at her sides. She saw a silver flash behind the man just as her eyes closed and she slipped from consciousness.

--~*~--

*Kami = Japanese for 'god'

A/N: Hah! Is it Riku, or is it Sora? Oh, and I'll give you three guesses as to who the assailant is. (But you had better only need one!) I'll be posting the next chapter soon. Also, sorry that this is so short. I kinda wanted it to be alone.

Riku: *rolls his eyes* You just wanted to leave me out of it.

Sakayume: *smiles* Now why on earth would I do that? You know I only want for you to be with Sora!

Riku: Right…