Fan Fiction ❯ Believe ❯ 002: Reflections ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, next chapter! I realized there may have been a bit of confusion regarding Riku in the first chapter. I can tell you now that, NO, Riku is NOT dead. (Many thanks to my lovely angel for pointing that out to me. Love you, Steffie.) I also feel that I need to go ahead and tell you now: my chapters are short, in case you haven't noticed. But I will try to make up for this by updating often. This is the first time I'm really trying to stick with something, so I really hope that I can make this fanfic long. And finished, eventually. And hope that I don't bore you to death with the dumb plot. *sighs*

Alright, enough of that! On with the next chapter! ^-^ Enjoy!

--~*~--

Running a shaking hand through his silver hair, Riku sighed. I know Sora's here. I saw his parents just a minute ago... so where is he? And where the hell is Kairi? Riku walked into the small public bathroom, locking the door behind him. He stood in front of one of the three small sinks and stared at his reflection in the mirror. I look terrible... He turned on the cold water and held his hands under it for a moment before leaning over and splashing some on his face. Resting his elbows on the sink with the water still running, he put his head in his hands, a few tears escaping his sea green eyes. Kami, look at me. I shouldn't be crying. My father got what he deserved, but still... it hurts. Aren't best friends supposed to comfort you in times like this? Where is he?

Riku remained in that position for a few moments before standing upright and turning off the water. He grabbed a paper towel from the dispenser and dried off his face and hands before leaving the bathroom.

---

Sora came to a dead stop; what he saw terrified him. Kairi was lying on the ground before him, and someone was leaning over her. Choking her. Without thinking, Sora ran straight into the man, knocking him off of Kairi. The two of them--Sora and Kairi's attacker--nearly rolled into the lake for their struggling. The man tried to reach for his knife, but Sora reached it first. He stood quickly, holding the rather large knife out in front of him. The man laughed the same dry laugh as before and stepped toward Sora.

"Don't come any closer!" Sora had moved so that he was between the man and Kairi. "I don't know what you want with her, but get lost! I'm not going to let you hurt Kairi!" Sora backed up slowly, and kneeled by Kairi's side, still facing the man.

"And just what do you expect to do to stop me? Are you going to kill me?" He gestured to the knife in Sora's right hand.

Sora glared at the man and looked down at Kairi. She was still breathing, but she certainly wasn't conscious. "Kairi," he said and gently shook her by the shoulder. "Kairi, wake up. Wake up! Kairi!"

The man had circled around behind Sora, and now Sora felt a knife being pressed to his throat. "I could've killed you twice already in the time you looked away from me," the man stated flatly. He took hold of Sora's arm and forced him to stand.

"So why didn't you?" Sora gripped the knife in his hand harder as he spoke.

"No fun at all," the man replied simply. He moved the knife and turned Sora around, their faces now only inches apart. Catching the gleam of the knife in the corner of his eye, the man easily took it from Sora, tossing it swiftly into the lake.

Sora looked straight up into the man's eerie eyes, not blinking once. He noticed that they had changed--darkened, somehow--but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. (A/N: Metaphorically speaking, of course. I don't think Sora'd actually be stupid enough to try to stick his finger in the guy's eye...)

The man placed his knife back in its sheath at his side. He put both hands on Sora's shoulders, firmly holding him in place.* "Such bravery, even in the face of death. Tell me, how do you expect to escape this situation?" His gaze did not stray from Sora's eyes in the minute of silence that followed his words.

Sora was confused when the man suddenly pulled him closer, moving one hand from Sora's shoulder to gently cup his chin. "W-what are you doing?" Sora tried to take a step back, but the man held him in place.

"Relax. If you cooperate, I might spare your life." He tilted Sora's face up to his own, pressing his lips fully onto Sora's.

Sora's eyes shot open. He tried to yell out, and the man took this as an opportunity to deepen the kiss. Sora could hear Kairi stirring slightly behind him. He thought he was going to be sick. After all, this was his first real kiss, and this was nothing like what he had envisioned...

(-Flashback-)

{Young Kairi and Sora are sitting in the shade, hidden in their own secret spot in the cypress grove.}

"Sora."

"Yeah, Kairi?"

"Has anyone... ever kissed you before?"

Sora looked away from Kairi, blushing a bit. "Well, of course. My mom has kissed me lots of times.** Why do you ask?"

Kairi moved closer to Sora. "I don't mean your mom or your dad. I mean, like... someone special."

Sora frowned. "My mom is special."

Sighing, Kairi closed the small distance remaining between them. "Sora, you bum. You know what I mean."

"Uhh... no. Really, Kairi, I don't." He was blushing again.

Kairi closed her eyes and kissed Sora on the lips. Giggling at the look on his face, she said, "now do you know?"

Sora was blushing furiously.

(-End Flashback-)

Sora came crashing back to reality when he felt the man's hands wandering his body. The man's eyes were closed fully now, and Sora took the opportunity given to him. He bit down on the man's tongue and used the remainder of his strength to push him onto the ground. Sora bent and reached inside the man's coat for his knife, taking it and driving it into the man's leg. Kairi was a bit more awake now, but Sora didn't want to waste any time. He gathered her up in his arms--with some effort--and ran away as fast as he could.

---

Ansem pulled the knife out of his leg--casually, as if he didn't notice the burning pain or blood pooling on the ground beneath him. Goddamnit. I should have known the boy wouldn't give in so easily. He stood up, glancing in the direction he'd seen Sora run with Kairi. Lust gets in the way of duty once again. He smiled sadistically. "I will find you," he said forcefully into the night. "I will find you and you will wish you had died here tonight." Ansem turned and began walking toward the park exit. "You will wish..." he whispered into the darkness. "That you could end your life yourself."

--~*~--

* Remember, they're standing less than a foot apart, so it looks almost as if they're hugging, despite the difference in their heights.

** Like I said, YOUNG Kairi and Sora.

Well, how'd you like it? Reviews are most welcome and appreciated. ^-^

Riku: *cough* Suck up.

Sakayume: Hey now! I could have just went with what people thought in the first chapter! You could be dead now, buddy, so you'd better shut your mouth.

Riku: Oh? And then who would be with Sora? *smirks*

Sakayume: I... *glares* Damn you, Riku. Damn you.