Fan Fiction ❯ Cupid's Mistake ❯ Chapter 8: Who saw this coming? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eight: Thanks for the lovely ending, Princess.

WARNING -- Please do not think that you've been professionally trained as a lifesaver because you read this chapter. If you are alone in the jungle with someone who is not breathing, then by all means try to revive her, but if there's an adult or someone trained in CPR around, then let them handle it.

Thanksss.

Oh, and also, I am aware that this is not exactly up to American Red Cross code but Dante does not carry a rescue breathing mask in his pocket, and he has to make do with what he knows.

-- Lena the Superguard

-------------------------------------------------

Dante tilted Artemis' head back to open her mouth, then pinched her nose closed tightly. Taking a deep breath, he moved in towards her small and motionless pink lips. After giving her two breaths, he found the pulse in her neck, which was beating weakly, thank goodness. He continued to administer the rescue breathing until she sputtered and sat up, coughing water out of her lungs as she went.

For a moment, a moment paused in time, Artemis' eyes were locked on the amber ones of Dante. No words were spoken as they sat, breathless, and there was a mutual understanding between them. Dante knew that Artemis was endlessly gracious and Artemis knew that he was endlessly apologetic.

Artemis coughed meekly and held her hand out to Dante. He stood and then helped her to her feet, and even though he didn't realize it, his hand lingered on hers slightly longer than was necessary.

It was awkward between them, now, both not knowing what to say or do or how to act. It was silent for a minute, and then they both spoke at the same time.

"Thank y-- "

"I'm so sor--"

"No, you don't have to--" they said in unison, then stopped feebly as they both realized that they were saying the same thing.

"Uhh… well, I think we lost them…" Dante managed to mumble.

"Yeah…"

Dante turned and pulled a small dagger out of his jacket and slipped it into his boot. A few miniature sticks of dynamite he produced from who-knows-where and tucked them into his sleeves, for them to be more easily accessible, now that the pair were without firearms. Artemis stood and watched him, resting, her weaponry in comfortable places for the moment.

"They didn't mention you had rescue skills," Artemis said.

"I guess I'm not as stupid as you thought, then; am I?"

"I never thought you were stupid…" At this, Dante gave her a look. "Well, I don't now."

"Yeah, well when I start appreciating what you think, I'll let you know."

Now Artemis was hurt. She was trying to be nice, and look what happened. Every time she did this, she failed. It's part of the reason she was never more friendly than she had to be; no one ever returned the favor.

"Well, I know I haven't exactly been the most pleasant towards you during our mission… and I guess… I just thought…" Dante looked over expectantly. " I guess I just thought that it'd be in our best interest to… get along?"

Dante moved closer to her.

"I don't like being treated like a five-year-old. I've had just as much training as you have."

With a brief tilt of his head and defiance in his expression, Artemis thought she remembered something in the way back of her mind…a twinge of familiarity in his face… or some old awareness of his stance… but no, there was no way she had seen him ever before. I would have recognized that face anywhere.

Holding out her hand, this time for a shake, Artemis tried her best to be affable.

"Friends?"

Dante stared at her waiting hand. This is the break I've been waiting for… but is hurting her worth it?

He took her hand and shook it, but then pulled her in close for a kiss.

There she was, right flush against his body.

Abruptly, Artemis turned her head so that his intentions of administering a mind-blowing, breathtaking, knee-weakening union of souls crumbled into a chaste kiss on the cheek. Apparently, Artemis wasn't ready to confess that she did have a slight attraction to Dante. Additionally, opening up to him like this would also mean that she would have to admit that she wasn't really his superior (by way of skill. Of course, in ranking he was still just a bloody rookie!).

Now it was awkward.

She is kind of hot. And she's really good. But she's insufferable! Continuously reminding me of my lack of status in ESRecon… God, if she only knew… Artemis was squeezing water out of her hair. Her obliviousness to his watching her was adorable-sort of. But I guess if I was in her position, I'd be pretty pissed too… as if her boss doesn't trust her skills enough for her to handle this mission. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a partner and I don't think she has either.

"I'm taking off my shirt."

What?!

"Turn around."

Dante reluctantly spun on his heels and stared at the river. He hadn't really been thinking of her that way just now but now that he wasn't allowed to look, he had an infinite desire to.

Artemis was wringing her shirt, twisting it and squeezing it to hopefully dry it a little bit before they continued. I hope he doesn't turn around… I bet he's the kind of guy who would. What's he going to see, anyway? My back's to him. All he'd catch an eye full of are my straps and clasp. Still, it's not exactly the most professional attire, now, is it? No. I wish Dante wasn't my partner. I wish I barely knew him, because then … Then I could what? Then I wouldn't have these feelings for him? Artemis' excuse for avoiding men was that her career would hurt them eventually… but Dante's got the same career. This is exactly like that time when I was still Level III and I infiltrated the Swiper headquarters and fell into that vat of essence of silphium. Soaking wet… except that was sticky. In my defense, I was pushed! Oh, what was that guy's name? David, I think… Oh, god, I remember sneaking into his hotel room to gain access to his laptop and he had a girl in there! Note to self: don't go to bedrooms at night. But hey-I was only Level III, practically a rookie. David doesn't really sound right… I'm pretty sure it started with a D, though…

"Are you done yet?"

"No."

"Well can I turn around?"

"No!" Artemis rushed to get her shirt back on. "Okay."

"Good cause I was turning around in thirty seconds anyway," Dante said grinning.

Artemis smiled, knowing he wouldn't have. Right?

"You know you have no power over me…" Dante voiced dominantly, moving towards Artemis, having decided once and for all that she was going to be close to him whether she liked it or not.

"Is that so?"

"Yes, it is."

Now his smouldering kiss hit right on target.

"Dante, you have no respect for wom-"

He shut her up with another kiss, and surprisingly, this time she kissed back. But then…

"Dante, I don't know if I can… Dante." She took a step back. "Your name is Dante."

"Yeah, you catch on fast…" he joked, leaning towards her and grabbing her arm lightly.

Realization sunk into her mind as if cold, thick poison had penetrated her blood.