Fan Fiction ❯ Healer #1 Healer in the Dark ❯ "Am I As Cold As You Are?" ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter#3 "Am I as cold as you are?"

With Captain Velkenos back at last she had finally thought she would be able to sleep. Unfortunately for Millicene that was not to be. She had lay down and went to sleep almost immediately. However, the heat and the magical burden of her recent acts fell on her almost as soon as she was asleep.

Lost in dark dreams Millicene screamed out in horror and anticipation of pain. She had known these dreams would come. Ending a life before it's natural time brought such consequences, especially to a healer who used the light powers to slay and bring darkness. All the unremorseful killing of the assassin and all of his unatoned for sins fell upon her like a mountain's weight. But what terrified her more then anything was what she saw in her own future, life flowing out over her hands and she not caring at all to try and save it. Her own face, but with the assassin's cold stony, dead eyes. "No! Any fate but that I beg you!" She cried aloud.

The Captain came rushing in, sword drawn to defend her life against another killer. "What!" he barked harshly. At this treatment from someone who was beginning to seem like a friend she burst into tears. For the moment she was convinced that if even the Undead could find her repugnant and worthy of their wrath she had no hope at all of being redeemed. "Let me guess, you are thrashing about because of some misguided sense of guilt over the criminal's demise aren't you?" His voice curled around in the chambers of her ear, sweet in it's heady familiarity. So terribly long since she had a friend of any sort, but still she had to ask. "Tell me Captain, not as some guardian meant to coddle me but as my friend, do I seem... Well am I as cold as you when it comes to the death of a living being?"

A human would have been offended at the implication that they were a stone cold killer. The Captain smiled at it. At least his little charge was smart enough to know what she saw and not sugar coat it, even to her own self. He smirked under the hood of his cloak, still concealing him from the boring power of her terrified gaze. "Fear not for your soul little Millicene. You could never be as I or your would be killers are. It is as I thought when first I met you and probed your mind. Your heart is too soft for what sometimes must be done. It is far to easily bruised. Mayhap your spirit is even to gentle for the work you have chosen. For I am certain that for every life that you battle for and lose, your very soul shall bleed." He said this with a light tone of mockery, both at himself for being so easy to read that one glance at his mind proved out his nature to the woman in his arms, and at her for being so tender. Yet he still respected her incredible courage to come to a place where she would truly taste the very kiss of death on a near daily basis.

Some how she knew this for she smiled up at him, somewhat more at ease then the frightened little mortal he first found crying into her pillow. He produced a gentleman soldier's handkerchief fit for blowing noses or binding wound's at need. She used it with an unladylike enthusiasm. Laughing at the look of shock only she or one of his men could have detected as it twitched across his features. "Blowing one's nose is an activity that even my sainted mother would have trouble making ladylike Captain." She joked. Then Millicene got a thoughtful look on her face. "Oh and Captain next assassin is all yours. I don't have the skill to finish them off in the old fashioned way, and I would rather not be burdened with any more of their sin memory." She explained.

Velkenos nodded. "As you wish Millicene. I will take care of them. I am curious though , as to why you are not surprised to have more then one assassin after your life?" Millicene smiled at the Captain. "Last of my line with no intent to allow the curse to take my life. Of course the one who designed the foul blackness that taints my womb would try to see me killed in the old fashioned way." Then with a yawn she flopped back down on her cot. "See you at dawn Captain." Then she drifted off to sleep again.

Velkenos stepped outside her door and resumed his guard position. The Orc who was his equal in rank quietly walked by despite the heavy burden of preserved Loreval meat he was carrying. "Healer killed a big beast on way here half-dead thing. Best watch self should she have bow in hands. Might be angry should she learn you want to breed her." It spoke in butchered Old Dead. The Undead Captain didn't even bother to respond, so the Orc Captain made his way past to the supply storage closet.

Velkenos did however take note of the friendly meant warning. If the Orc realized what sometimes went through his mind when he was close to the little human then what would his men think once he returned to headquarters? He had best get a hold of his oddly active hormones before the woman somehow sensed what his desires were. He had no wish for her to slay him, nor would he want her burdened with the memory of his near endless millennia of sin that would taint her nights with horror.

Millicene woke again at dawn, the lack of sleep only showing in her crusty eyes. She went to the basin and washed her face clearing the sleep sands from her eyes and waking herself still further with the icy liquid it contained. The Captain stuck his head in and informed her that she already had a patient waiting for her. She gestured that he should send the person in. What walked in was definitely not the average being. Even here among the Orcs and dark Elves and various other beasts, a Dragonkin stood out like a sore thumb. She made a shooing motion towards the examining table and the creature leaped up and settled on it. "What ails you my scaled brother?" She asked in Dragon tongue. "Tooth hurts. Needs to be taken out most likely." He responded and opened his mouth so she could take a look. It was definitely damaged and badly. It had been cracked and a piece of what looked suspiciously like armor plate was firmly lodged in the gum above the fang.

"Did the rest of your teeth manage to tear out a piece of mercenary flesh?" She inquired with mild amusement. Before the knowledge of the assassin had been given to her along with his memories she would have been horrified at the very idea. Now she knew that many mercs paid their way into a new guild after leaving their old ones by bringing in a Dragonkin skull. Since pure dragons, like the ones legends of old were made of, lived too far from civilized lands it was as close as they could get to the ancient testing of strength and skill. The merc in question had started something he couldn't finish, and had whatever fate he found at the Dragonkin's fangs coming for his stupidity.

It made her somewhat relieved that the tainting of her soul by the essence of her would be killer would not bring about only bad effects. The kind of knowledge he possessed might actually be useful! She smiled at the Dragonkin to show she meant to be funny not judgmental of his actions. "How does a healer know of what they do?" He asked of her. Millicene smiled again. "Second hand experience my dear Dragonkin." she found a pair of giant pliers in the tool drawer she was searching through and smiled again this time sadly. "I have to pull out that tooth, and the bit of metal that has lodged in the gum next to it. then you may grow out your next tooth." she informed him with a small amount of fear. "Have the half dead thing hold open my jaws healer or you might lose a hand." The Dragonkin suggested. She shook her head at her own stupidity, having completely forgotten the unnatural strength of her weeks long companion.

"Captain, your assistance is needed." She said towards the door. His exceptional hearing didn't even require that she go open the portal. He strolled gracefully into the room and nodded when she explained his task. The tooth took all her strength to remove it. A foul splash of infected puss squirted out afterwards, then she yanked out the metal plate. It to had released oozing gore, being the source of the infection this was no surprise. She had the Dragonkin swish around an infection killing potion until it turned blue then she made him spit it out into a bowl and rinse with clear water. "Now grow that tooth in and we'll see how it goes." he nodded and concentrated for a mere moment. then he opened his mouth to show off a perfect fang nesting in among it's fellows as if it had always been there.

It had been ages since she had been offered anything other then food as reward for her services. The Dragonkin however, seemed to feel somewhat indebted for the relief of his pain. He reached in to his throat pouch and offered her something. His clawed appendage was so large that she cupped both of her hands to receive whatever he was presenting her with.

The most perfect and serene of moonstones settled into her hands. It was about the size of an apple and perfectly round. It gleamed with magic light, just like the moon from which it took it's name. She touched the power with her abilities and found that it was purified healer's power. Nothing this pure existed in the natural world. Only the healing power that flowed straight from one of the gods could be so pure and bright!

"Will be better used by you then just rotting away in my hoard. Is gift from the gods to my line for great victory over chaos. Keep it well. Should you drain it settle it in full moon's light for several months and it will fill again." Then hopping up off the table the Dragonkin strode forth from her workroom. She smiled with glee at her reward, never knowing how important the gift would turn out to be.

She was calmly brewing potions for all manner of ills when a panting Orc came running into the lab. "Healer is needed at Palace! Come fast please!" Millicene ran out behind him her emergency kit for poisons in her grip. Last of all she had stuffed in the moonstone, out of habit as she had not let it leave her side since it had come into her possession. When they reached the Palace she was relieved to see the High King looking well and whole. The look of worry on his face though did not bode well for whomever had taken the poisoned dart of the assassin for him.

Millicene was led along the hallway by the high King himself to the rooms where his harem spent their time. "She is my favorite one my dear healer, and she took the dart meant for me purposefully. Please save her if you are able." Millicene just nodded. she would do her best and then it was up to the gods to determine if the courtesan fell or flew high again in the arms of her King. She pulled out her potions and began to apply them to the wound. Millicene spoke the charm that would draw out the poison used by the assassin. It wasn't enough though. The poison had done far to much damage in the amount of time it had been in her system and the ethereal blonde was really in trouble. Her hand settled on the moonstone and Millicene smiled. This thing might be exactly what she needed. She drew on the pure healer's power and let it flow burning white into the flesh of the courtesan.

The wound closed and the fever drained away leaving her nearly elf like flesh perfectly pink hued with health. Slowly the woman's eyes opened and she asked hoarsely after her King. "He is fine my dear, you are the one we had to be concerned about. You nearly left us and as you are his favorite by his own admission, so you should know better then to think you would be allowed to go!" Millicene teased the woman then she helped her to sit up and gave her some water. "Thank you for your timely aid healer. Are there any instructions for me to maintain my health?"

Millicene got an evil look on her face that would have startled the King or her dear Captain but the courtesan smirked as if she well knew what the healer's thought was. "Until your wounded flesh is healed you may tell your King that you have rights to being on top, Healers Orders!" Millicene told the woman. The two of them laughed as if they were friends of old and Millicene made her farewells, leaving behind her a scar reducing cream that would erase the mark of the dart from the courtesan's snowy flesh in time.

Once she was back at her little house Millicene sighed. Her potions had been correctly cared for. Her own instructions had insured that the Orc who aided her along with dear Captain Velkenos was competent enough to do so, however her lab had been left a mess and the still stifling heat made her feel ill herself. The heat was made no better by the lingering warmth of her herbs' cook fire. She extinguished it with a thought and opened all the windows. It was no use though, she still felt far to warm and there was no breeze to be had from the open windows or anyplace in the drought stricken land. "Captain..."She whispered hoarsely before she fainted. He arrived in time to catch her before she hit the ground and the heat of her flesh as he held her to him made him instantly aware of the trouble.

"Dokorrip, tell all seriously wounded ones to go to the herbwife in Machinak square. The healer has heat sickness and I am taking her down to the catecombs to find some cool air before she dies of it. Gather her things and bring them along when you have a moment." He ordered the young Orc. This one had become something of an apprentice for the healer and was capable of using the haling energies with a great deal of skill for one of his age.

She had happily been training him so that she might get some rest now and again and focus on making her healing potions on potion days once a month without interruptions. The lad took charge like a Orc of twice as many years. He set about cleaning up the lab and hurriedly made a pack of things that the healer would wish to have with her when she woke. He then sent a messenger with it to the catacombs as some minor patients had come and he could not go himself until they were well again.

Millicene woke up some place very dark and startlingly cold. She had obviously made a sound for the form of Captain Velkenos appeared at her side with a single candle in hand. "I had hoped you would come to visit my home on guesting festival in a more happy and cheerful manner dear Millicene." He teased with a light smile on his features.

She smiled back and slowly moved to get up from the cot where he had lain her out. "So we are in the catacombs?" He nodded slightly. "Did you leave my prentice in charge?" Another nod. "Good then I am going back to sleep now for a bit. I officially declare myself unfit to be out of bed for the next two days. Healer's orders!" This made Velkenos laugh aloud though it was only a soft chuckle by human standards and he nodded, taking himself out of the room and leaving the candle behind at her bedside.

The well made taper had burned down about two hours worth when she woke again from her little nap. Velkenos's second in command was standing over her with a glass of water in hand. When she carefully sat up he aided her in drinking it then sat it and a pitcher on the table by the candle. She lay back down and was out again by the time he had left the room. "Will she recover do you think?" He asked his Captain. The Captain nodded and strode out of his home to attend to some business. He wanted to be home when she woke again in case she grew concerned over being left alone for to long a period.

Herkran watched his Captain go with mild trepidation. He seemed to be well... almost fond of the little healer! The very idea! He was startled at himself for even thinking of such a thing! He walked back into the Captain's spare room to have another look at the sleeping healer. Her face was lit softly by the single candle's glow but that was enough light for his Undead eyes to see her every feature. He stared at her for a long while, her exhaustion obvious from the fact that the cold glare of the Undead did not even disturb her rest in the slightest. Or was it that she was so used to his Captain's company that more of the mystic presence would be required then he even had to stir her forth from her slumber?

She was beautiful though, he had to admit. Not in the startling way of some of the King's courtesans but in a steady healthy strong way that meant she would have stamina to burn when in proper health. Ack! Stamina! What was he thinking? Herkran dragged his mind forth from the gutter and swirled around on one heel to depart the room. Obviously even if it did not affect his Captain the small healer's presence disrupted the flow of energies in less mighty Undead like himself, and Herkran resolved not to be in her presence any more then was needed for his own mind's sake.

Velkenos watched as his second left his house and began to march around it in a standard patrol pattern. He understood well why the younger Undead might be disturbed by the soft gentleness of the healer's magical presence. That she was also passing fair and his own attraction to her obvious, at least to his own men and the Orcs, would also be cause for many a disturbing speculation on the part of his loyal second.

Ever since he had literally been the boy of seventeen years that he looked to be even now, Herkran had always been unfailingly loyal and supportive of the Captain he had been assigned to by their King. Velkenos hoped with all his heart that the boy would not lose faith in him over the eventual seduction and taking of the little healer. He cared for them both a great deal and it would make him heart ill to suffer the loss of one over an attempt to gain the other.