Fan Fiction ❯ Inamorati ❯ Coming Together ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
(A/N: Been a while, eh? As you can probably tell, the begining of this was written pre 'The Storm.' Also something you should know... this was my first fanfic! ^.^ I'm so happy. I've writen like, three since I first started this.)

"No! It's mine, damn it!" Sokka yelled at Kasumi. The two were wrestling over an orange, or more specifically, the last orange. The very last shred of food left on Appa.

"Get the hell off it, Sokka! It's mine! You've had like, six! And that's only so far today!" Kasumi had obviously grown out of her shyness. So far her transformation was drastic; no one from her old life would hardly be able to recognize her. Besides her short hair, Kaiya had absoulutely no trace of ever having make up on in her life left on her face, and Katara had helped her to cut the top part of her expensive dress off, so she was left wearing only a white under shirt and the red velvet skirt of her old dress, which they had slit up the side to the middle of her thigh. When she first walked out from behind the trees, Sokka couldn't pull his eyes away from the sixteen-year-old's chest. Katara had knocked him onto his ass with the water whip, sending Aang into a hysterical fit of laughter. Pfft. Men.

Katara and Aang sighed from Appa's head. "Guys, guys," Katara started. "We'll just stop by a market. Hey, I think I even see a town up ahead! Oh, and Kasumi? I never though I'd say this, but give Sokka the stupid orange. You've already had eight."

0o0o

When Appa landed right outside of the town, Sokka, Kasumi, and Aang all raced to be the first to jump down. Aang won, needless to say, because he used an air current to push himself down. Katara crawled to the edge and leaped over the saddle, landing gracefully. Unlike Kasumi, who landed in a heap on the ground because she hadn't thought about landing, only about beating the guys to the ground. Sokka and Aang collapsed with a laughter that echoed throughout the town... Was it normal for a town to be this quiet? The laughter died down quickly when they realized what was off, and without a word Katara helped Kasumi up and they started over to the open front gates of the town. Wait... open wasn't right. The broken front gates to the town.

"What happened here?" Kasumi asked, picking up a burnt-up child's doll that lay in the middle of the street. The majority of the surrounding buildings had been reduced to rubble, and age old tree's had been burnt to the ground.

"Fire Nation...," Sokka growled under his breath, his glare crossing over to Kasumi for a split second. But his look softened a bit when he noticed Kasumi was looking over at a dead woman with an arrow in her heart, and a silent tear was trailing down her cheak.

"I've... never seen a dead person before...," she said weakly. Katara was the only one who most fully understood what Kasumi must be going through, and walked over to embrace the girl. Kasumi must have been raised in such a controlled environment. She had probably never had an injury much worse than a paper-cut.

Then Katara noticed something. "Hey look...," she said softly, releasing her arms from their grip around Kasumi. "The arrow is burnt...,"

"And it's still smoking," Aang finished grimly. Just then Sokka noticed the tip of something red coming over the top of the hill.

0o0o

Zuko had heard the rumors. That the Avatar had a new companion. A teenage female, of the Fire Nation. His heart had skipped a beat and he had immediately been in even more of a frenzy to find the Avatar. Which really, if you thought about it, was kind of pathetic. Iroh certainly thought so.

"Prince Zuko," he had said," The men need a break from all this, you've been working them overtime! They are tired, and I am tired. We will find the Avatar if it is meant to be. Now sit down and have some nice, calming-"

"Don't give me that crap. And I swear if you were going to say 'tea' I'll go jump of this damn ship." He had stormed off, as was his custom. Then, a few days ago, his men had reported that General Zhou had veered off his original planned course and increased his speed. Now Zuko and his men were at a small coastal town where Zhou had been... and it didn't look so hot for the people that had been here. No pun intended. Now they were tredging up a hill, him in the lead, obviously....

0o0o

"Shit!" Kaiya said a bit too loudly. Aang gave her an odd look and a smile. For someomne who had previously never heard cursing before, Kasumi sure had taken to it fastly.

"Who goes there?" a deep voice rumbled. Then the top of someomne's head peaked over the hill's crest. More quickly followed. Soon there were a good dozen Fire Bender's surrounding them, led by a slightly shorter teenager. Mind you, he was still a good head taller than Kaiya, who was at least five foot six. It was the oddest thing though.... he had this huge burn over his left eye. Kasumi's eyes widened.

"At last... the Ava-" Zuko started... then his eyes landed on Kasumi.

"Oh please. Not that line again," Sokka said, rolling his eyes. Katara elbowed him in the stomach, causing Aang to break out in a huge grin.

"So is this what you've been doing for the last two years?" Kasumi said, eyeing him warily. Her voice had cracked and she swallowed hard before continueing. "Man that's pathetic. You really need to get a life." Zuko's face turned red and he looked for a minute as if he were going to spontaniously combust. Which, being a Fire Bender, wasn't too surprising when he actually did. He calmed down after a few minutes.

"Kaiya?" he asked uncertainly, taking in her short hair and ruined dress. She had aged gracefully into a young woman, that much was obvious. Everyone now gave her an odd look.

"Her name is Kasumi," Katara said, her conviction faltering even as she said this. Zuko raised an eyebrow, never looking away from Kasumi.

"Is that what she told you? Because I could've sworn her name was Kaiya Adon." Here Sokka started choking.

"It may have been a few weeks ago," Kasumi said coldly," But it's Kasumi now." They stood there, staring each other down for a few seconds. Then Kasumi burst out laughing. Zuko couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Wait, wait, wait,-" Sokka said, stepping in between them. "You two - know - each other?!" he finished incrediously.

0o0o

(A/N: Gah. Sorry for the shortness. But... I really need to get a life. Of course, life for me is writing, so I'll probably be updating this more often now... Fare thee well, strange starnger!)