Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter Fourteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Fourteen-

Devan stared at the door where Eric had been before turning on the other person in the room. "What was that? And what are you doing here, Derek?"

"That, Devan, was a kiss and I go to school here now," Derek replied, a sly smile gracing his lips.

"You moved back?" Devan was trying to get over all the emotions swimming around in his head at the moment. Then his mind suddenly jumped back to Eric and what he’d seen, or though he’d seen. He looked back at the door planning on heading our of it after his boyfriend, who would be freaking out at the moment, when Derek snapped his fingers in front of his face, “Are you listening to me?”

Devan looked over at him startled before answering, “No, Derek I’m not.”

Derek’s eyebrows lowered, “Why not? I though you’d be happy to see me, and to hear that I had moved back. I thought maybe we could pick up where we’d left off when I moved.”

“Derek, I’m not your boyfriend anymore, things have changed. And it’s not that I’m not glad your back in town, it’s that my actual boyfriend just walked in on you kissing me!” he told Derek as he tried to get around the bigger guy.

Derek caught his wrist as he attempted to pass him, “Wait, that guy was your boyfriend? He doesn’t seem like your type Devan. You should just let him think what he’s thinking and forget him.”

Devan pulled his wrist out of Derek’s hand with a jerk, “How would you know what my type is Derek, I haven’t seen or heard from you in almost two years. You want me to forget about the best person I’ve ever met for someone who didn’t even keep in touch with me? Forget it!” Once he was done talking he turned and promptly left the drama room to hopefully find Eric before he left the school.

*~*~*

Eric blinked at Kensie trying to figure out what to say to her. He didn’t even know what was up let alone how to tell her about it. “N…nothing,” he said finally, knowing she wouldn’t believe him, but figuring he might as well try to get out of it the easy way.

“Eric, something is definitely going on and you not telling me isn’t going to help,” she scolded him, hands on hips, a stern look on her face.

Eric looked at the ground trying to figure out what to tell her, since he knew he wasn’t getting out of here until he told her something. “I’m not sure,” he finally said, settling on the only thing he could know for sure.

“Then why do you seem like you’ve seen the worst thing possible?” she asked, now totally confused. He didn’t make a lot of sense when he wasn’t flustered and even less when he had something confusing him on his mind.

“I…ah…kinda…well, maybe not…but you see…I don’t really…” he fumbled for words that wouldn’t come. What to say, how to explain when he didn’t even know what had happened. But what else could it have been, yet it would have been really stupid of Devan since he’d known that he was coming but…

“Just tell me what you saw, or what it was that happened, so I can help out with whatever it is,” she tried again, trying to get him to explain.

“I walked in on Devan and some guy kissing,” Eric said in a low voice, not sure how he felt but he had an odd feeling in his stomach.

What?!

*~*~*

Devan headed down the hallway at a quick jog looking for Eric as he headed toward the front door. He was only vaguely aware that Derek was following behind him. He heard Kensie’s voice as she exclaimed “What?!” from somewhere ahead of him.

He turned the corner and found Kensie and Eric standing there off to the side of the hallway, Kensie had a look of shocked confusion on her face as she caught site of him.

When she saw Devan standing there the first thing out of her mouth was, “What in the world were you thinking?!”

Devan stared at her for a moment before coming to the conclusion that Eric had told her what he’d seen. “I didn’t do it,” Devan said, then thought that that probably didn’t give her enough information to get his name cleared in any sort of way and now that he’d spoken Eric was also looking at him.

“What do you mean ‘you didn’t do it’? So he didn’t see you kissing anyone, he was hallucinating or something?” Kensie asked, waving her hands around in the air

“No,” Devan said, “but I was the one doing the kissing, Derek kissed me,” he tried to explain.

Kensie stopped in her ranting and stared at him for a moment, “Derek, as in…?”

“Me,” came Derek’s voice as he turned the corner and ending up next to Devan, who immediately walked over to where Kensie and Eric were stand to keep a good amount of distance between him and his old boyfriend.

Kensie recognized him and sent him a scathing glare, “Didn’t you move? I though we were rid of you for good.”

“I moved back, dear,” Derek said with a smirk.

“Kill me now, it’s a better fate than putting up with you for the rest of the year, and don’t you dare call me dear again, or I’ll hurt you, got that jerk?” she said her glare only deepening as she spoke.

Eric stood in silence, trying desperately to put the pieces together. This guy had known Devan, probably dated him, before he’d moved. Kensie didn’t think very highly of him and Devan obviously wasn’t interested by the way he kept his distance. But what exactly was going on? Eric was so confused and he just couldn’t get everything to go where he thought it needed to.

“So harsh Kensie, you haven’t changed at all,” Derek said, his smirk never fading.

“I see that you haven’t either, Derek, or maybe you’ve gotten cockier, that might be the only change,” she said he glare never wavering. Then she looked over at Devan, who was standing relatively close to Eric, and asked, “What did you see in him?”

Devan looked over at her, “Nothing of quality. Don’t blame me, I was only sixteen and wasn’t even sure about being interested in guys. Obviously my taste in men has improved in the two years he’s been gone.”

Derek blinked, “I’m still here.” That hurt coming from Devan, especially since he got the feeling Devan was saying that that kid was better than he was. That ticked him off.

“Good, you should probably have heard that. He’s not interested in you anymore. He’s already got another boyfriend and it doesn’t look as though he’s going to be giving Eric up for you anytime soon,” Kensie shot back at him. Derek had always gotten on her nerves.

“So he seems to think now, but I’m sure that he won’t be thinking that way for long. See you later Sugar,” he said and gave Devan a smile as he turned and left.

Eric thought he’d finally found the key information in the conversation and turned to face Kensie and Devan, “Wait, was he your first boyfriend?”

Devan smiled, “Yeah, that was Derek, my first boyfriend. But don’t worry; he doesn’t have anything on you. Now come on.” He grabbed Eric wrist and dragged him out of the school.

Kensie smiled after the two before sighing. She hopped Devan was smart enough to stick with his first choice and that Eric wouldn’t let Derek convince him of anything that might change his mind about Devan. She didn’t want to see the two break up over Derek of all people.