Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter eighteen ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eighteen-
 
Over the next couple of weeks Devan was noticeably depressed. He didn't talk or eat much and avoided his friends for the most part. He didn't really feel like being around any of them.
 
Eric was much the same way. He had hardly said anything since he had talked to Kensie the day he and Devan had broken up and hadn't really seen any of his friends since he wasn't on particularly good terms with any of them. The only one he really saw was Madelyn and she didn't help his mood much with her continual talking.
 
*~*~*
 
Devan was sitting at a bench before school, looking up at the blue ceiling, wondering if anything was going to get better, when Derek's face appeared in his line of vision. “You've been awfully done lately Devan. Did things with Erin not work out?” he asked, trying to look sympathetic and thinking he was going a pretty good job of it.
 
“His name is Eric, Derek. And no, they haven't,” he sighed, looking down now so he didn't have to look at Derek any more.
 
“You know what you should go out and have some fun. Why don't we go somewhere, no as a date or anything, but just to cheer you up,” Derek suggested, resisting the urge to put his hand on the shorter boy's shoulder.
 
Devan looked up at, a hint of anger in his eyes before it faded away. “Sure, but don't you dare try anything,” he said giving him a warning look.
 
“Me try something? Come on Devan, I wouldn't that,” Derek replied looking almost affined that he would even suggest it. No, not until next time sugar, he thought as he gave Devan a wave, “Then I'll see you after school.”
 
“Yeah, whatever,” Devan said picking up his stuff and heading off to his first hour.
 
*~*~*
 
As Eric came out of Calculus Madelyn was standing there. “Hey Eric, you know you've been acting weird lately. Is something wrong?”
 
Eric sighed, “No.”
 
“Oh, come on. I know something's wrong. Here, let me guess…you…broke up with your girlfriend, right?”
 
Eric rolled his eyes, “Yeah, something like that.”
 
“Well, you know, the best way to get over a break up is to go out and have fun. Why don't we go somewhere? Not like a date or anything, just to have some fun and get your mind off whoever she is.”
 
Eric sighed again. He didn't feel like fighting over this and he knew that if he said no, then she would con him into is anyway, so he just decided to skip it and say, “Ok.”
 
“Cool, I'll see you after school then!” she said, as she turned into her Spanish class room.
 
“Yeah,” he muttered, taking a turn into his own Spanish class room.
 
*~*~*
 
During lunch Kensie skipped the first part of her class so she could talk to Peter during his lunch hour. She walked over to where the junior was eating lunch and slammed her hands down on the table. “We need a plan to get those two back together!”
 
Peter looked up; startled by her sudden appearance, form his peanut butter and jelly. “What? Who are we getting…oh, Devan and Eric,” he said, nodding and taking another bite of his food.
 
“Well I see you no longer care,” she said starting to stand up and leave.
 
“No, I'm just really hungry. What sort of plan are you thinking?”
 
“Well, my birthday's coming up, and I was thinking of rigging on of the games,” she told him, taking a seat.
 
“What game, pin the tale on the donkey?” Peter asked before taking another bit of his sandwich.
 
“No, I was thinking more like…spin the bottle,” she replied, a slightly evil grin on her face.
 
“Oh, that would probably have a more desirable effect than pin the tail on the donkey,” he replied.
 
“Yeah, so here's what I was thinking,” she said, leaning over the table and telling him the rest of her plan.
 
*~*~*
 
After his lunch Eric went to Forensics since his schedule had gotten rearranged a bit due to him switching to a harder science class. He entered the class room and took a seat since seating was open in this class.
 
He was the first one in there since he ate his lunch quickly and didn't have any other reason to stay in the lunchroom.
 
As he worked on some sort of collage course book the other students started to come in. When he heard a familiar voice he looked up. Devan was standing in the door way, having a half hearted conversation with some girl he vaguely recognized and thought her name might be Megan.
 
Devan gave the girl a nod before turning and completely entering the room. As he walked into the room his eyes landed on Eric and he looked surprised. What was Eric doing in his forensic's class, didn't he have this class seventh hour? He took a seat at a table on the other side of the room, but was stilled puzzled as the teacher came in.
 
“Ok students, we have a student that was moved into our class form seventh hour, due to a schedule change,” she explained with a smile.
 
“Why'd you have to change something? Were you failing a class or something?” asked some random kid from the other side of the room.
 
Devan rolled his eyes and thought, no, he probably wanted something harder not easier.
 
Eric shook his head, say almost the same thing Devan had just though, “No, I…ah…actually wanted…a harder class…since I already knew everything we were learning in the class I transferred out of.”
 
“Ok kids, that's enough, let's get started,” the teacher said and started to talk to them about an upcoming project.
 
*~*~*
 
When the class was over Eric stood up and quickly left the room, trying to avoid Devan.
 
Devan on the other hand packed up slowly, sadness in his eyes. This wasn't how it was suppose to be, honestly. He hadn't thought this would last this long and it didn't seem like either one of them was going to fix it anytime soon.
 
*~*~*
 
After school Devan met Derek out front. “Were, we'll take my care,” Derek said, leading the way over to a shiny red sports car.
 
“Where are we going Derek?” Devan asked, reluctantly climbing into the car.
 
“Oh, just a small restaurant, it's kind of new and a nice place to go to get your mind off of things,” Derek replied.
 
Devan sighed and put his seat belt on.
 
*~*~*
 
Madelyn found Eric at the end of school and said, “I hope you don't mind driving since we can't walk there.”

Eric shook his head, “No, I it's not a problem. Where are we going though?”
 
“Oh it's a new restaurant that kids like to go to, to hang out,” she told him with a smile. “I'll tell you how to get there.”
 
Eric shrugged, “Ok, just don't get me lost.”
 
“I won't!” she said as she climbed into the passenger seat of his car.
 
“That's good since if you got us lost, I couldn't get us un-lost,” he said and started the car.
 
Madelyn just smiled and giggled a little, looking cute and innocent with her red hair pulled up and her large green eyes shining.