Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter Twenty-Four ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Four
 
The rest of the school year went pretty smooth. Neither one really got into much trouble and as said, Derek didn't do anything. As the end of year finals came up, Devan started applying for colleges.
He was accepted by his first chose, but when it came to telling Eric that was a bit harder, since the college was more that 2,900 miles away.
Eric knew his was trying to get into that college, but that didn't mean it was any easier to tell him he was actually going to be that far away from him for nine months, not counting holidays.
He was planning on telling him after they went on the trip they'd been planning for a couple months. It was going to be an all day trip to the beach. Not a lake beach, but the actual beach, with salt and crabs and such.
The morning of their trip Devan pulled into his driveway and called him, since it was early enough that if he rang the doorbell he'd wake someone up. Eric picked up, "Hey, be out in a minute."
Devan smiled, "Alright."
 
Eric hung up the phone and proceeded to pull a shirt over his head before picking up his bag and heading for the door.
He quietly headed out the door. He smiled at Devan as he slid into the passenger's seat.
As Eric was putting his seat belt on, Devan lifted his head, kissed him, then pulled out of the driveway.
Eric blinked at the very brief kiss before clicking his seat belt into place.
"So," Devan said, attempting to start a conversation.
"Yeah," Eric said nodding, "We fail when it come to general conversation."
Devan laughed, "I suppose we do. But who cares if we don't talk about the weather."
Eric shrugged, "Nobody, I suppose...isn't the sun just so bri..."
"Ok, that didn't mean I wanted to talk about the weather," Devan said, shaking his head.
"Alright then, what do you want to talk about?" Eric asked laughing.
Devan thought for a moment, "I'm thinking of something."
"Huh, ok," Eric said, confused.
Devan laughed again, "It's a game. I think of a word, and you ask yes or no questions to try to figure it out."
Eric smiled and nodded, "Ok. Um...is it alive?"
Devan shook his head, "Nope."
"Ok, uh...is it made of metal?"
Devan thought for a moment, "Part of it."
"Is it made of...wood?"
"Some times."
"Um...is it remote controlled?"
"Nope."
"Does it make noise?"
"It does."
"Is it electronical?"
"I've never heard of one that was."
"Is it a musical interment?"
"You are smart, yeah, it is."
"Is it ever made of plastic?"
"Now you're making fun of me."
Eric smiled, he was still guessing even though he knew what it was. "Is that a yes or a no?"
"It can be," Devan said, sighing.
"Is it a wood wind interment?"
"Will you just say what you think it is?"
Eric laughed, this was fun, "Ok, ok. Is it a Clarinet?"
"Yes," Devan said.
They continued to play going threw a toaster, socks, a yo-yo, and a bird, among other things, before reaching the beach.
After Eric had figured out he was thinking of a shoe in ten questions, he said, "Ok, we're almost there."
Eric nodded, "Alright." He leaned his head back against the headrest on the back of the seat. Their hands were both resting on the arm rest and Devan picked Eric's hand up in his.
Eric smiled and closed his eyes. He half slept the rest of the way to the beach.
When they arrived Devan lightly shook Eric's arm to wake him up.
Eric opened his eyes blurily. He smiled at Devan as he moved to get out of the car.
Devan too moved to get out of the car. They moved around the car and grabbed the bags out of the back. The two headed down to the beach, looking for a place that hadn't already been taken by other people.
Eric made a face as sand got into his shoes. He looked down at the sand, glowering at it.
Devan gave him a questioning look, "What's wrong?"
"I've got sand in my shoes," he said this a bit whinily.
Devan laughed, "That usually happens when you come to the beach."
Eric gave Devan a 'I knew that' look. "Yeah, thanks for telling me," Eric replied.
"No problem," Devan replied, and caught Eric's hand as it moved back in its swinging motion.
They finally found a small patch of unoccupied sand where they set their stuff down.
Devan pulled his shirt over his head and grinned at Eric who was watching as he did so.
Eric's cheeks went slightly pink as he realized he'd been staring at Devan, actually mostly at his nicely muscular chast and abs. He moved his gaze up to his face to find him grinning.
"Like what you see?" Devan asked, teasing Eric.
Eric's blush deepened but he said, "You already know I do."
"Yeah, but it's nice to get it reaffirmed now and again," Devan said with a nod.
Eric rolled his eyes and pulled his own shirt off.
Devan's eyes did the brief up and down of his torso, not that he hadn't seen Eric with out his shirt on before though, but still. Eric's body was less muscular than his own but still had a decent amount. He was thinner than himself, his body leaner, but that was something Devan liked about his boyfriend.
He was done with his examination of Eric's upper body by the time Eric had finished taking his shirt off.
Eric glanced over at Devan and made a face. "I find it hard to believe that you were staring at that girl over there this whole time," he said.
Devan looked back over at him, "And why would you think that?"
"Because last I heard you didn't swing that way," Eric said with a grin.
Devan smirked back, "Who said I didn't like women?"
Eric raised an eyebrow questioningly, "You're interested in women?"
"I may not have dated a member of the opposite sex for almost two years, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested," Devan said.
"Well, even so, I find it hard to believe that you would be staring at some girl over me," Eric said a bit poutily.
"Yeah, well, I wasn't, so do get to upset," Devan said, running a hand over Eric's jaw.
Eric smiled, "Nice to know." Then he stood up, pulling on Devan's arm, and headed down to the water.
Eric stood in water that came up to about his waist, and jumped into the waves as they came up.
Devan laughed as Eric was pushed back so the water only came up to his knees. He was standing at the edge of the water, not having gone in yet.
Eric turned and motioned for Devan to come over to him. "Come on," he said, "It's a lot of fun."
Devan sighed and waded out to meet Eric, "It's fun huh?"
Eric nodded, "Yeah. Hey look, here comes another good sized wave." He took Devan's hand and led him into deeper water.
As the wave hit them they both jumped. The wave pushed the two of them back to shallower water, where they both laughed.
The rest of the day went about the same. They swam around in the ocean, laid on the beach, and other beach related stuff.
 
The two sat on the beach as the sun set. They sat next to each other and Devan's arm was around Eric's shoulders, pulling his body close to his.
As they looked out over the ocean to the setting sun Eric spoke. "You know, I think finding that one person you want to stay with forever is like looking in a mirror."
"How so?" Devan asked, not sure what Eric was getting at with this comparison.
"Well, maybe, it's more, that one person is like your reflection when you look into a mirror. Because that one person, you can see your self in, like in a reflection you see your self, but everything about that person is opposite to you, well just about everything, much like a reflection in a mirror," He explained, moving slightly damp and salty hair out of his eyes.
"I see. That makes some amount of sense. Actually, that makes quite a bit of sense," he agreed. "Does this bit of thought come from experience?"
Eric smiled, getting what he was really asking, 'do you think you've that one person?'
And instead of giving him a yes, he turned and pressed his lips against the taller boy's.
Devan kissed back getting his meaning as well as Eric had gotten his. Then the news about his college snuck into his mind causing him to pull back.
Eric looked at him questioningly, "Is something..."
Devan put a finger over his mouth, "Nuh, I just have to tell you something."
Eric blinked, "Ok, what is it?"
"Well, you know my first choice for College?" he asked and Eric nodded. "Well, I got accepted, so I start the beginning of August."
Eric smiled, "That's great!"
"Yeah, but it means that I'll have to live out there, so I'll only be out here in summer and during holidays and such. You're ok with that, right?"
Eric gave him a, 'did you just ask me that' look. "Of coarse I am. I mean, I won't get to see you as much, but it's not like I won't get to see you, and I can still talk to you. I think I'll be ok for a year," he replied.
"A year?" Devan asked, wondering if that meant Eric was planning on going to the same college after he graduated.
"Well, yeah. I figured I'd major in math and maybe go into teaching, and I heard that Harbor, which is near where you're going, has a good math program, so, I thought I'd try for there."
Devan smiled then laughed, "Try? Eric, I'm sure you could go any where you want you to."
Eric just shrugged saying, "You never know."
Devan shook his head before leaning over to capture his boyfriend's soft lips with is own.
By the time they broke the kiss, they were both laying down, Eric with his back on the sand, Devan holding his weight up on his arms.
They stared into each other's eyes for a time, before Eric wrapped his arms around Devan's neck and leaned up to press his lips again Devan's.
 
They didn't reach Eric's house until late. They were both covered in sand and salt, but they were in a good mood.
Before Eric could get out of the car, Devan caught his arm, pulling him back and kissing him, before letting him go. "Good night," he said.
Eric smiled, "Good night." he grabbed his stuff and climbed out of the car, turning back to give Devan one last smile before heading into his house.
Devan sighed, a smile placed on his face where it was going to remain for some time. This was a day he wasn't going to forget any time soon.