Fan Fiction ❯ Love And Lies ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
 
Silent soul
Waiting forever it seems
I pray for sleep
And fear my dreams
 
In truth, I usually didn't sleep much. As we were running (or in Siena's case flying), the lack of the sleep collected over the few years started to get to me. I wasn't used to this much running and traveling. My steps became heavier and slower, and my wound had reopened long ago, so blood was pouring down my side. Eventually, I was walking tiredly while Siena hovered fearfully over me.
 
Silent soul
Let me sleep
Yet you will wake
And make me weep
You are silent no more
 
Is it your wound?
'No... I totally forgot about that.' I lied.
Well, again, your body didn't. Your shirt is darker where you're bleeding heavily, and you have blood pouring down your arm.
'Oh well... We... We gotta find him... what's the next place?'
 
Dreams of fear
Dreams of hate
Dreams of love
Of Heaven's gate
 
We had gone through Neruku's house and the coffee shops again - it was a Saturday - and we were down to only a few places. The sun was beginning to set, and I was tired. Very very tired. We were moving along a fence that had trees on the other side of it.
The graveyard...
'Alright... where is it?'
The other side of this fence... LOOK! THERE HE IS!!!
 
Dreams of death
Dreams so dark
Dreams so cold
In the frozen park
 
I stopped and looked over to the other side of the fence. There was a boy. He was tall. Even from a few hundred feet away, I could tell he was tall. His long, black hair was let down and hiding his face. In his right hand, there was a knife. He was standing over a gravestone.
NO! CHIMO!! YOU HAVE TO STOP HIM!!
'Right!'
 
Trouble me not
Please give me peace
So I may sleep
And ghosts' wailing will cease
 
I crawled over the fence. When I hit the ground, things spun and little lights danced in front of me, but I stood, shakily, and half ran half stumbled over to Derek. As I got closer, I could hear him speaking in Japanese. I could understand him.
“I'm sorry, Siena... I'm so sorry... I tried to move on. I really did. There was that girl I told you about... but Alex... she told me she was dead and.... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise...”
I saw him lift the knife. It had fairies on it. Everything had fairies and elves and lights on them... or was I hallucinating? Didn't matter. He was lifting the knife. I don't know who screamed first. Siena might have, but I definitely was screaming “no” in English at the top of my lungs.
 
Trouble me not
With dragons of hate
No more dreams of pain
But as the hour grows late
My soul is silent no more
 
I fell on him just as he brought the knife towards his chest. The knife went through my flesh into my shoulder blade. I winced as it stuck in the bone. I fell back, and Derek caught me. Shock showed clear on his face and in his green eyes. I smiled.
Through all the pain on both sides of my chest, I smiled. Through all the blood and hallucinations, I smiled. I smiled for real. A large, heartfelt smile. A smile just for him because I loved him.
“Gotchya, Kitsune...” I couldn't speak full sentences in Japanese... I couldn't think right...
Things were dancing now. Everything except Derek's face was dancing. I smiled even more.
“Who are you?” He asked, confused.
“Someone...”
I couldn't finish. I blacked out.
 
Dreams of fear
Dreams of hate
Dreams of love
Of Heaven's gate
 
“DUDE! That's her! I swear it!”
“Hn... Shuiichi is right, Fox. That is the girl that Nikomiko was so determined to hang on to. She was quite distressed when she found that Chimo had left.”
“Chimo... that's her name...?”
“As far as we know.”
The voices faded as my consciousness left me again.
Screaming. Was it me? Or was it them? Was it Siena? What?
Something warm grabbed my arms, pinning me down. I struggled. I opened my eyes and saw an ugly squid like face with tusks coming out. Now I knew I was screaming. Oh man I was screaming. I heard Nikomiko's voice as the thing with tusks talked. Then a warm, black cloth was put over my eyes, and I fell unconscious again.
 
Dreams of death
Dreams so dark
Dreams so cold
In the frozen park
 
I finally woke to someone stroking my hair. I opened my eyes to meet brown ones: Nikomiko. I smiled softly.
“Hey, psychic girl.” My voice was hoarse again. Great.
Nikomiko gasped then grinned.
“CHIMO! CHIMO YOU'RE OKAY!!”
“Of course I am... I'm a fighter...”
Nikomiko threw her arms around me in a hug. I uttered an “oof” before hugging her back. As we hugged, several people came running to the door. I looked over Nikomiko's shoulder and studied them, also taking note of my surroundings.
I was in a white room with sliver vines going up the sides and lining the ceiling. I was on a mattress on the floor and there was a dark, cherry wood desk and chair that had a computer on it. There were seven people in the door way: Shiju, Shuiichi, Arden, Derek, Neruku and a set of twins that must have been Kisai and Komiai. Both had brown hair to their shoulders and dark, brown eyes.
Nikomiko pulled away from me and grinned at the seven. Derek was half way in the room, holding my attention and locking my eyes with his.
 
Silent soul
Do not go back
To troubling me
Keep my dreams at lack
 
“Chimo... that's what they call you?” Derek asked.
“Yeah... short for Chimmoku” I answered, finally able to get my Japanese words right.
“Silence... Why did you want to find me?”
“I needed to.”
“Why did you stop me?”
“I had to.”
“Where are you from?”
“America.”
“Why are you here?”
“I need to be.”
“What's your name?”
“Chimo.”
“Don't you have a different one?”
“Yes.”
“Will you tell me?”
“No.”
“Why?”
“I can't...”
Silence. Chimmoku. Me.
Derek and I watched each other. I was suddenly aware that Siena was no longer close.
 
Silent soul
Stay silent still
Leave me be
And my hopes do not kill
 
'Siena? Where are you? I need you!'
No answer. No one replied to me. Inwardly, I became frantic. Outwardly, I kept up my calm.
'Siena!?'
Nothing.
'SIENA!? SIENA!! SIENA!!'
Still no reply. Siena was gone. My eyes widened.
“N-no!” My voice was barely a whisper, but they saw my lips move and my eyes start to water.
“What's wrong, Chimo?” Nikomiko asked.
I looked at her, eyes watering.
“Sh-she's gone... She's gone, and I didn't get to say goodbye!”
The tears spilled over. I buried my face in Nikomiko's shirt. I, the emotionless, silent fighter, was crying. I was crying as if I had just lost my family. In truth, I had lost the closest thing I had had to family since my brother had left. Siena was gone.
 
Dreams of fear
Dreams of hate
Dreams of love
Of Heaven's gate
 
My sobs stopped, leaving me shaking. I pulled away from Nikomiko and looked at my hands in my lap. My right shoulder blade hurt like crazy, and the left side of my upper chest wasn't feeling all that great either. Derek knelt next to me and placed an arm across my upper shoulders, and I leaned against him, silent tears still running down my face.
“Chimo... Who's gone?” He asked gently.
“S-Siena... She was helping me find you.”
There were murmurs from the people in the doorway. I sniffed, then cursed in French - you know, I know too many languages in which to curse - as I realized I had been crying. Crying: a weakness. I began to stand, wobbling ferociously. Derek instantly had his arm around my waist and holding my hand.
“What're you doing!?” Nikomiko asked, alarm.
“I need a tissue... and I don't want to be anymore of a bother, so I'm getting it myself.”
“Chimo, you're too weak for that.” Derek chided gently.
I glared at him.
“How would you know, fox breath? You're not me. Now let me go, you big goof!”
I pushed away from him gently, so I wouldn't fall. Derek's grip on me tightened. My frown deepened.
“Hey!”
“You're not going to get me to let go.”
“I bet you're enjoying this... I'm not even pretty, but I still bet you're enjoying this!”
“What do you mean you're not pretty? Admittedly, you're thin from not eating enough and being sick hasn't helped you, but you're pretty!”
“No I'm not! Now let me go!”
“No.”
I could just see the sweat drops on the rest of the group as they watched us. Oh well. I wanted him to let go. I wasn't weak, and I could do this myself!
 
Dreams of death
Dreams so dark
Dreams so cold
In the frozen park
 
“If you don't let go, I'll make you!”
“How?”
“You asked.”
I bit him. Not hard enough to draw blood, but hard enough to leave my an impression of my teeth. He let go. I wobbled a little, then trudged my way over to the desk and grabbed a tissue.
“Darn crying.” I muttered. “Always makes your nose runny.”
I blew my nose as Derek and Nikomiko chuckled - they were the only ones who had heard me - and the rest of the group looked confusedly between us. After I had thrown the soiled tissue away, Derek came up to me. We locked eyes. Me, the ever defiant fighter, and him, the ever flirtatious fox. It was just like it had been.
“I owe you for that, Chimo.”
“Get it when I'm not so completely hurt. There's no where you can bite me that you'd probably like to that wouldn't hurt so utterly either.”
Shiju and the rest bit back (or didn't bite back) laughs. Shiju was almost choking. Derek was about to retort when the phone rang.
 
I'm dreaming in a frozen park
Where roses bloom for all
And though it's silent in my heart
The wind my name does call
 
Kisai (or was it Komiai?) grabbed the phone from Derek's desk.
“Hello?” An alto voice. That was Kisai.
“AURA!! Hey, sweetie, how are you? ... You just missed Der getting bit...”
I froze as she shouted the name “Aura” happily. That was Alex's online name. They were still on speaking terms with her? But...
All my pent up pain became anger as it swirled up to rest in my chest. I knew that my ears were pulled back as far as they would go, and my nose was flared when Derek and Nikomiko looked worriedly at me. I shook my head, closing my eyes, and smiled at them.
“Excuse me.”
I turned and walked slowly out: the rest of the people in the door way moved aside for me. I smiled gratefully at them. A couple of them smiled back. Derek followed me.
“Chimo?” He asked once out of ear shot of the group (I was so lost here).
“Yes?”
“What's wrong? Do you know Alex?”
I almost growled, but managed to make even my voice sound emotionless as a I replied.
“Yes.”
“What's wrong?”
“... Nothing.”
Derek suddenly whirled me around and pushed me gently against the wall. I growled at him.
“You know, Chimo,” he murmured, “you lie really badly when you're upset.”
I struggled, knowing it was futile. I was hurt and I wouldn't hurt him even if I was strong enough to. I couldn't.
“Let me go, kitsune!”
“Not until you answer my questions.”
 
To bring me a sleep
Which I truly fear
For in my dreams
I lose what I hold dear
 
I sighed.
“Fine. Ask away.”
“Alright, number one: what did you mean by Siena's gone?”
“About four days ago... I think... how long was I asleep?”
“two days.”
“Okay, about six days ago, Siena found me and told me I had to find you. We came here all the way from America to find you. When I woke up just now, I couldn't find her. She was gone.”
“Okay... you were visited by my dead girlfriend... that's odd...”
“She cares, you know. I think it was her quest to get her white wings too.”
“Huh?”
“I'll explain later. Next question.”
“Right. That explains my second question, so question number three: how do you know so much about us?”
“Other than what Siena told me - and she didn't tell me much, just locations - you, Kisai, Alex, Neruku and Shiju told me.”
“We did?”
“Yes. A long time ago.”
“Who are you?”
I paused there. Could I tell him? Did I want to?
'Siena... where are you when I need you!?'
“Chimo?”
 
Dreams of fear
Dreams of hate
Dreams of love
Of Heaven's gate
 
“Heh... you won't buy guardian angel or Chimmoku, will you?”
“No. Besides, why would a guardian angel need one?”
“Right.”
“Who are you, Chimo?”
“Someone.”
“Obviously.”
KAMI!! YOU IDIOT!!
We both jumped at the mind-speech. I looked at him.
“You heard that?”
“Yeah...”
Of course he did! I wanted him to! Sheesh. You're both as bad as the other!
'Siena! You're okay!'
Not really. I was hoping to just get my wings, say goodbye and leave, but since you two are so bloody stubborn, I'm stuck here for a little longer.
Siena appeared before us. Her wings were now red: the bloodied wings of the Warrior and Broken.
 
Dreams of death
Dreams so dark
Dreams so cold
In the frozen park
 
'Warrior and Broken wings?'
Don't ask. For some reason, They're making me help with the suicide cases. They can get violent too!
'O-okay...'
But first, you two! Derek, sheesh, get over me! I'm right here. Always have been and always will be. Besides, you've got a girl pinned to the wall who has loved you for years even when she thought you weren't real. Kami, she even tried to kill herself because she cared so much.
Derek looked at me. I kept watching Siena, a blush staining my cheeks.
Chimo, trust him. You're going to have to. I know it's hard, but you're going to have to.
'Hey wait a sec,' Derek had figured out how to use thought-speak, 'why is it hard?'
Chimo's lived her whole life not trusting people, Fox. It got worse about two years ago when she was told you were fake. It was about the same time Alex told you she was dead. So she has a hard time trusting anyone anymore.
'Oh... WAIT!'
Derek stared at me again, looking down at my pinned form. I wriggled uncomfortably, staring at my feet.
“Lexis?”
“Yes... that's me.”
 
Dreaming
Dreaming
Soul silent no more
 
Derek stared for a couple more minuets, then pulled me into a hug. There was a moment where I was frozen, then I grabbed a handful of his shirt and buried my face in his chest, sobbing.
“Y-you were gone!” I wailed, not aware of the crowd gathering. “You were gone! A-Aelx said... sh-she-”
“Shhhhhhh.” Derek hushed into my hair, stroking my back. “It's okay now... It's okay. I'm not going anywhere, baby. Not now and not ever.”
I cried. I sobbed. Breathing his sent of male and roses, I cried. I never wanted to let go now. I never wanted to loosed him again. I needed that feeling of security in his arms. I needed him close to me. I needed him.
Derek kissed the top of my head, murmuring that he loved me and other words that made no sense in my state of uncontrolled emotion. Mostly because they were in Japanese and I couldn't think in Japanese right now. I relaxed, no longer sobbing. Derek just held me.
“It's okay, Lexis. I'm here, and I love you.”
I nodded, finally understanding again. Tears still were streaking down my red face. I must have been a wreck. A dirty, bloody, sobbing wreck.
 
Dreaming
Always dreaming
Dreams to shake my core
 
“Wait...”
We turned at Neruku's voice to find everyone conjugated in the halls.
“Chimo is... Lexis?”
I nodded.
“Yes. My name is Alexis Contali del Alma.” I stated, feeling a sense of pride in my Italian name.
Derek smiled, holding me closer with his arm around my waist.
“Such a pretty name.” He commented.
If at all possible, I blushed redder than before. Kisai walked up to me, a mistrusting and judging look in her eyes.
“How do we know you aren't lying?” She growled.
“How did you know Alex wasn't?” I snapped.
Derek shushed me, and I bowed my head ashamed.
“Gomen... I am angry at her... for once, I'm actually angry at someone. She lied to me first about Derek, then about not being allowed to go on the computer or talk to anyone on the phone. I'm angry with her, but I shouldn't have snapped at you. I'm very sorry.”
Everyone was a bit surprised at my sudden abashed apology. When they had last talked to me knowing who I was, I had been a very spirited fighter and didn't back down often.
“A-apology accepted.” Kisai said, now feeling bad herself.
I smiled at her embarrassedly. Derek then decided to save us a long, awkward moment.
“Alright! Who wants food? My treat!”
“Derek!” Nikomiko said, surprised. “Chimo - I mean - Alexis is still weak! Look at her!”
 
Dreams of fear
Dreams of hate
Dreams of love
Of Heaven's gate
 
Derek looked at me and paled slightly. I glared playfully at them.
“I'm fine you big worry worts! You're as bad as me! Don't worry! If I can walk and undergo all this stress, I can take a shower, change, and go out to eat! I'm starving!”
Everyone chuckled. As people began to disperse, Derek turned to me, smiling deviously.
“Uh-oh.” I joked, throwing my arms around his neck as he wrapped both of his around my waist. “What has the great fox, THE Youko Kurama, planned now, hm?”
Derek chuckled at the old nickname, placing his forehead against mine.
“Well, I was just thinking that since you're so weak you might need help with that shower... I'm sure as The Youko Kurama I could manage to help you with that, no matter how hard it wold be.”
“Hm... Oh really? Well, I think that The Youko Kurama needs to get his head out of the clouds or gutters and back onto his shoulders!”
“You'd think that'd be easy, but it's hard when I think about you.”
“Hmmm.... Next year, fox boy. I'm still only eighteen.”
“That's legally old enough for it not to be counted as statutory rape.”
“Next year.” I said, pushing away from him, teasing him. “Next year, and I'll even marry you if we're still getting along.”
Derek perked up immediately.
“Really!?”
I grinned.
“Of course, fox. How could I not?”
Derek pulled me back and kissed me, hard. When he pulled away, I was nearly dizzy with excitement.
“Wow...”
“What?”
“That was my first kiss...”
“Well you're a great kisser.”
“Oh... wow...”
 
Dreams of death
Dreams so dark
Dreams so cold
In the frozen park
 
“Ahem.”
We turned and faced Kisai.
“If you two are quite finished, we were going out to eat, and Lexis still needs to shower.”
“Yeah, I do, sweetie”
Derek turned to me, pouting.
“But I don't wanna let you go.”
“Come on now, baby, I won't be that long. I'll be back before you know it.”
Derek smiled, and I kissed him quickly. He let me go.
“Okay.”
Kisai led me to a bathroom. I took a shower and changed. As I was buttoning up a shirt I had been given, Siena appeared.
Hey...
'Hey Siena! I wasn't sure I'd get to say goodbye...'
Yeah, well... I got reassigned.
'Hm?'
Yeah... I came back because I requested to be reassigned to you guys. Just until you're out of hot water.
'Alright... Welcome back Siena... thanks.'
Yeah, no problem, kid.
'I'm no kid!'
Compared to me you are.
'Oh bite me! You're only two years older.'
Still...
'Are you two coming out!?' Derek's thought-speech reached us. 'Or do I have to come in there?'
We're coming! We're coming!
'Thanks again, Siena... for everything.'
Yeah. Come on, let's go!
'Right.'
We left, all of us. It would be an interesting ride.
 
I'm dreaming in a frozen park
Dreaming...
Dying...
Frozen...
Gone