Fan Fiction ❯ Passed the Ice Cold Eyes ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

After the first couple of classes I realized something, it sucks to be smart. When I walked into my classes that didn't involve art my teachers attacked me, testing my intelligence and seeing if I deserved to attend this prestige school. I honestly thought that my art teachers would be testing me on that, but I was wrong. I was the only one who could answer the question so I think I have proven my worthiness; at least I hope I did.
As I sat in my Math class I became uneasy, fidgeting waiting for the bell to ring. I couldn't stop staring at the clock wondering if, when it rings, will he be there outside my door like he said he would? I shrugged off the thought and focused on the last math problem. I quickly answered it and raised my hand.
Mr. Luke look up from his desk, “You have a question Ms. Wu?”
“Yes, what do you do when you're done with the work?”
Mr. Luke looked at me through his half moon shaped glasses, “You were not supposed to finish the work, it was your homework.”
“I'm sorry sir, but you said when we were done with class work we could start on the homework.” I said.
He glared at me, I wanted to disappear, I pissed off a teacher, great…
“Show me your work; it is impossible for you to have finished all of it.” He said in a harsh tone.
I got up from my seat and approached his desk with the papers in my hand. When I reached him I offered him the papers and he snatched them out of my hand. The old man that sat before me rustled the papers, examining all the work, not showing any expression that he was neither impressed nor dissatisfied. The class behind me watched intently as if waiting for him to beat m.
He looked up from the papers and threw them at me, “Just because you impressed the administration with your high marks at your age doesn't mean you're anything special.”
I bowed my head down, “I know sir, I'm not anything.”
“Go back to your seat.” He spat.
I returned to my seat, when I sat down I heard peers whisper, “Look at the new girl trying to make it seem as if she's better than any of us. She deserved that.”
I sunk lower into my chair, praying the bell would ring soon, and then my prayers were answered. The bell rung and it was like music to my ears. I sat waiting for everyone to leave the class room; as soon as I was the last remaining student I dashed to the door, but ended up bumping into someone causing me to fall back. I looked up and it was Kun, he offered me his hand.
“Sorry” I said as he helped me up.
“Nah it's alright, it's my fault. I was waiting outside and when no one came out I went inside to check if you were still in.”
I grinned, “So do you want to start?”
“Alright, lets start then.” He said leading me out of the class room and into the halls.
“Can we go to my dorm first? I need to get my stuff.” I asked looking up at him, just realizing he was a shit load taller than me.
“Whatever I'm in now rush I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with you.”
I stopped and started laughing. Kun looked at me wondering “what the hell?”
“I'm sorry” I said through my laughter, “its just you made it kind of sound wrong, and usually when something sounds dirty in my head I start laughing.”
He looked at me and smiled, “That's so cute.”
We began walking towards the dorms, heading to mine first. As we walked everyone around us stared at us as we made out way to the dormitories. I saw the people whisper to each other and I noticed the people walking in the halls trying to avoid, even stand next to us. I noticed but I didn't care.
We finally arrived at my room; it was messy and full of unpacked boxes.
“Ignore the mess I just got here last night and I didn't have enough time to unpack everything.”
I made my way through the piles looking for my charcoal and paper.
“It's all good.” He looked around quickly and averted his attention to the empty bunk bed above mine.
“Lucky you don't seem to have a roommate.” He said as he plopped himself onto my bed.
While I rummaged through the box looking for my supplies I said, “Well I was supposed to but the girl found out she was going to have a charity case as a roommate so she bribed someone and got transferred to another place.”
“Wow, what a bitch…” he said as he looked through one of my boxes. He found one of my old sketchbooks and started looking through it. Kun flipped through the pages and examined each sketch.
“These are amazing, are these people your family?” he said as he continued to flip through the sketchbook.
I didn't need to turn around to answer his question. I found my things and quickly pulled them out of the box. Walking up to Kun I grabbed the sketchbook out of his hand and threw it back into the box. I walked to the door and turned to him, “None of those people in my drawings are my family, I have no family to draw.”
Kun didn't give any expression in his face; he didn't show pity or sadness, I was starting to like him even more.
“We going or not? Don't we still have to get your stuff?”
He stood up and followed me out of the room, and we made our way to the boy's dorm. Kun avoided looking at me as we walked.
“Don't try to act as if you feel awkward I know you don't.” I told him as we walked through the courtyard to the boy's building.
“”What are you talking about?”
I was stayed silent for a minute before I answered him.
“You didn't show any different emotion when I told you that i didn't have family.”
He bowed his head, “Sorry I—“
I interrupted him, “Don't apologize, I like you more for not pitying me or any bullshit like that. Anyways what are you planning to do with me for your project?”
He laughed a little, “Now who sounds dirty now? Besides it's a secret, all you have to know is that I'll be taking a lot of pictures of you.” He grinned, we walked into the building.
We got to his room and as soon as we entered he started to tear into his closet looking for his camera. I walked into the room and saw the walls were covered in sketches in black and white, I think they were all done by Kun. I walked up to one of his walls and examined the drawings. All of them were of the same girl, she looked familiar.
It clicked in my head; it was the girl in the drawing Kun did during class, except in these pictures she was alive and smiling. One picture caught my eye; it was the only one colored in prismacolor markers. Besides that, the girl wasn't alone in the picture, there was a boy hugging her from the back.
His arms hung around her neck and the girl's hair was long and was a copper blonde color. Both the boy and her had snow white skin. Her eyes and smile seemed to light up the room. The boy though did not have the same color hair as her, it was short and black, and his eyes gave off a blank stare, suddenly it seemed I couldn't take my eyes away from it. I began getting lost in those eyes; it almost seemed as if the boy was hypnotizing me.
Kun crept behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. I jumped a little and turned to see him.
He just looked down at me and then smiled, “Sorry I just blanked out like that, ha-ha, damn ADD. Anyways I got my camera, you ready?” he held up his camera towards my face.
“Actually can I use your room for the portrait? It's just that with your eyes and how you dress, drawing you outside in the bright light in nature just doesn't match you. That kind of scenery won't help in showing the beauty of your eyes, it'll just destroy it.” I asked before he could walk up to the door.
“If you want to fine I don't care but you have to answer me two questions.”
“Okay, anything!” I said smiling.
“What makes my eyes so beautiful?
I paused, “Why do you want to know?”
“Because you're the first one to ever say my eyes were beautiful. My eyes usually make people feel cold, uncomfortable and send chills down their spines.”
“That's why they're beautiful. I have never seen eyes like yours, so rare that just one natural stare can cause that much of a reaction in people. Your effect on others is how they're beautiful, gorgeous, even down right sexy!”
We both busted into laughter.
“Is that it? My eyes are beautiful because they scare people? He said still laughing
My laughter subsided, “No, it's also because every time I look into you're eyes; it looks like you have tears in them, even if you're not crying.”
He mumbled under his breath, “Who said I'm not crying?”
“What?” I asked not hearing what he had said.
“Nothing.” He simply said, “Okay last question why do you want to use my room? It's so dark and gloomy.”
I grabbed my sketchbook, pencil and charcoals, and started setting up the folding table near his bed. “That's exactly why. How can I draw you in a place so opposite your personality, no offence.”
“None taken.”
“So I can draw you right, I have to draw you someplace that compliments you, and your room is perfect.”
“I think this will help.” Kun said as he brought me a chair and set it behind the table.
“Thanks” I said with a smile.
“Should I lie down on my bed?” he asked making his way to his bed.
I nodded as I was trying to find my pencil in my pocket. He took off his jacket and threw it to the side and plopped himself onto his bed putting his hands behind his head; his face was parallel to the ceiling. It was a good pose but not perfect; I moved his head to face me on the side and fixed the rest of his body that was going to be drawn. When I finished moving him I moved back.
“It still doesn't look right…take off your shirt.”
“What?!” he jumped up.
“Ok didn't you want to pose nude anyways when we talked about the projects?”
“I'm not oppose to it, its just, I didn't' think you'd actually do anything like that.”
I smiled, “Just take the shirt off and go back to the pose.
He did as I told him and took off his shirt and went back to the pose.
I inspected his body then backed away, “Can you hold that pose?”
“Don't worry about that just start drawing.” He said holding the pose. Some of his hair started to fall over his face. I walked back up to him and tucked some of his hair behind his ear, he shook a little. I realized he has sensitive skin, then I grinned he's ticklish. I left some of his bangs to dangle over his eyes.
I looked up at him and smiled; I walked back to my table and began drawing the first draft with pencil. Moving my head back and forth from my paper to Kun, I saw Kun let out a big sigh.
“Ingrid, what happened to your family?”
I sighed; I didn't think he'd bring it up.
“What family? Like I said I have no family.”
“Bullshit, if you don't want me to know though I won't ask again, I don't want to insult you.”
“No I'm not insulted, tell you. My parents died when I was born, so my older half brother, who was twenty at the time, became my legal guardian. He was the greatest brother o could ever have, I loved him so much. But life was hard; he had to go through five jobs to pay the rent and the bills. It kind of sucked that he wanted me to have a good life but he had to suffer just for that.”
“Well you have a brother, that doesn't mean you don't have family.”
“I was taken away from my home when I was six.”
“Why? What happened?”
“It was my fault, no matter what he said. I came home from school and of course my brother wasn't home, he was at work so I had to fix myself food. I was so stupid, he always told me never use the stove when he wasn't home, but to cook my food I decided to use the stove because I wanted to make a grilled cheese sandwich.”
As I told him the story I could no longer hold back the tears but I tried to hide them from Kun. “A rag caught on fire while I was cooking and I tried to put out the fire but I couldn't. I ended up fainting because of the smoke. When I came to it firefighters were putting out the fire and the police were charging my brother with neglect and endangerment of a child because they blamed him for why the fire started because he should've been there. He's not allowed to make contact with me until I'm eighteen.
“Hey don't cry, you're in 11th grade, you can see him again next year.”
I started wiping my eyes, “No I can't because I'm not turning eighteen next year I'll be turning seventeen. I skipped a year.”
“Oh…I'm sorry.”
“Why be sorry? You had nothing to do with it. It seems pointless to say sorry you had nothing to do with. Are you trying to pity me?”
“No I'm not trying to pity. Crap I knew I'd insult you somehow!” he squinted his eyes for a second.
“Relax, I'm just kidding now stop squinting.”
I started to finish his second eye.
“The rest is a cliché story, a social worker saw my drawings thought I had talent and helped me get the scholarship to go here.”
“I see…”
We stayed silent for a couple of minutes.
“What about you? Tell me your story.”
“Alright….my story is I had a mother and a sister who died, and all I have left is a father who dumped me in the school of my choice just so I can get out of the house, and I never see my father even during holidays or birthdays but his secretary always seems to remember to send me something when ever holidays roll around. That a good enough story?”
“Sorry, I didn't think it was a huge problem for me to ask.”
Kun sighed, “Sorry, I shouldn't have said it that way but basically that is my story, nothing really else.”
The room became silent again, but after a few moments Kun spoke again.
“Hey Ingrid, want to hear a story?”
Hesitant I said, “Sure…”
“There once was this lord of a village, he was the richest in the land. As rich as he was, his daughter, Xiao Mei was just as beautiful. But that village had a problem; there was a demon named Fu Hai, who came to each family for a sacrifice so he would not destroy their village. It was finally for the demon to visit the Lord; he did not want to die obviously. He offered the demon money, since he had plenty of it but the demon didn't want any of it. As the lord begged for his life the demon noticed his daughter, Xiao Mei, who was hiding behind a vase listening to the conversation. After seeing her beauty, he wanted her. He said to the old man in exchange for his life he must give his daughter to him. The lord thought it over but thought his life was more important than his daughter's free will, so he gave her up. It was set in two month's time he would come back for her, and they would get married. Xiao Mei protested against the marriage, but she could not do anything. When the two months had passed and she was supposed to wait on the arrival of the demon instead of her waiting she fled. The demon found her, and killed her, for such insolence. The demon should've killed the lord for not fulfilling his part of the bargain but he felt that having such a disobedient daughter was enough to endure, and he let the man go.”
I froze as he finished his story, “Wow…such a horrible ending.”
“Well it really wasn't a happy story to begin with.”
We both shut up not knowing what to say anymore. About another hour passed until I was completely satisfied with the first draft. I looked up and Kun was asleep.
I got up being as quiet as I could so not to wake him up, I started getting ready to leave, but then I heard him talk. I turned around to see his face turn from sweet and innocent to full of pain and tears. He started telling “Get away from her!”
Kun started to shake violently and started screaming “No! Stop it!”
I ran up to him and grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him to wake him up.
“Kun!” I yelled, “Wake up! It's just a dream, wake up!” he kept yelling and I continued to shake him. He finally opened his eyes.
He looked at me and he was sweating, I sat next to him never letting go of his shoulders.
“Are you okay?”
he didn't hesitate to answer me, “Yeah I'm fine.” He got up from his bed and grabbed his jacket and camera.
“Let's go, I need to start taking pictures.” He said walking to the door.
I made my way towards the table to grab my things but he stopped me.
“Leave your things, you can get them later.” I stopped and followed him to the door.
“Are you sure you want to start today? I mean you looked like you were going to die—“
“I'm fine god dammit! Just mind your business!”
He slammed the door behind us and started walking.
“Why should I mind my business when you didn't seem fine two minutes ago? What were you dreaming about?”
“Why the fuck are you being nosey?” he yelled back at me.
Our fight was loud and people came out of their dorms wondering what the commotion was. I didn't care though I kept yelling.
“So its fine for you to ask whatever the hell you want to ask me but I can't know didly shit about you just to help you?”
“It's complicated okay!”
“Fine I'll make it uncomplicated good night you stupid fuck!”
Then I turned and stormed out of the dorm and headed towards my own.