Fan Fiction ❯ Pyro Mechanica ❯ Reappearing Shadows Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

*Pyro Mechanica* Chapter 1 "Reappearing Shadows"
Pyro Mechanica

Reappearing Shadows

The deep kiss of the first depressing rays of the glimmering sun's light began to show through the trees that cover the thick mountains that border Mynas. An over expanded gothic city, bordered by high thick cobblestone walls. One of the largest cities in the world, with the exception of the expansive catacombs located beneath Asteroth; home to the deceased. The suns first rays began to creep slowly through the unslept city, cascading over the countless marveled towering skyscrapers. A few shards of stain glass still hung tight to the frame of the stone pane, and through the shattered window's shards burst the early morning rays. The exotic display of disarrayed colors danced around the inner sanctum of the corroded crumbling cathedral. Large stone boulders that had managed to dislodge themselves from ceiling and wall were strewn about the eerie disserted house of a forgotten god. The mahogany benches, which in their day might have served to be rather exquisite, were now half broken and flung round the room with unexplainable ignorance. A old wooden crucifix still stood strong a top the corroded alter, dust ridden and tilting on its side, but still unwaveringly standing, as if waiting to be gazed upon once more by those wanting to renew their faith. As the display of color continued to precede its way across the desolate room, a petite, ragged, semi voluptuous figure began to stir from her restless sleep underneath one of the mahogany benches.

She slowly opened her dark emerald eyes and crawled out from underneath the broken prayer bench, her long thick forest green hair cascaded over her rigid torn shoulders, and tan skin. Yawning she stumbled to her feet with a long stretch, scratching her head. As the small coo of her yawn reverberated off the walls, a yawn the sound of a low wolf's howl soon came into ear range. A beautiful dark silver mountain wolf came bounding down from atop the altar where it lay perched as it slept, Jumped up and immediately leapt upon the sleepy eyed grumpy looking girl.
"Cut it out Navaruu." She glared down at him, her emerald green, silver glossy sheen eyes giving a grumpily stern look. Navaruu wined and winced a bit, but continued to nudge against her lower leg.
"Alright alright." She petted him atop his head, scratching behind his ear. Her eyes smiled to him apologetically, though the lips of her expression remain unaltered. "Let's go see if we can't dig up somethin' to eat, eh?"
Navaruu barked in acceptance and started to pace towards the colossal broken mahogany doors. She pulled her hair back into a loose haphazard braid and covered it up with a dark blue ball cap, which she sported backwards. As they crept out through the oversized wooden doors, though the warm rays of the morning sun hit their face, so did the crisp chill bite of the morning dew. A worn out black hoody that had been tied around her busty hips was now being untied, and its floppy frame flung over her thick muscular one. The streets were cold and empty, the suns light still trying effortlessly to fill the streets with care and warmth, though to no avail. The city stood at the lake edge, giving its residences one of the most astonishing sunset views in the world.
A small local convenient store lay nestled between a barrage of office buildings and abandoned construction lot warehouses. They crept upon it nonchalant and inconspicuous; raising her hood over her head she motioned to Navaruu with a confidant nod. Navaruu took off down a back alley; she made her way, hands in pockets into the convenient store. A few seconds of awkward silence passed, the breeze blew gently over the vacant neighborhood. All this momentary serenity was immensely interrupted by a large ruckus emanating from within the store. Over exaggerated shouts and random object being thrown after the snatching thief as she held clenched in her arms an abundance of food and general necessities; her hoody and jeans pockets bulging as well. She had not even gotten halfway down the street when she heard the sirens in the distance.

"Damn, they're gettin' a helluva lot faster these days." Her head craning behind her in their direction. She banked a left and turned down a very narrow wedged alley. She threw her bags of goods over a high brick wall then vaulted herself over, landing rather catlike. Grabbing the bags, a slight gleam of smugness could be seen twinkling behind her hidden emerald green eyes. Though as the corner was rounded, her smug expression was quickly swept clean. "Ah shit . . ." She had stumbled out of the frying pan and into the fire, the police sirens which could still be heard coming toward her was topped by the blockade of cruisers, cycles, and what seemed like almost the entire Mynas abandoned sector police unit. All attired in heavy riot/battle gear. And with the opening slip of her misplaced surprise, every head in the vicinity was now staring heavily down on her. "Oh you can't be serious." She mumbled to herself.

"Hey . . . you there!" Without another word or thought she took off down the street dodging each and every uniformed pig that happened to stand in her way in questioning. "Hey, YOUNG MISS, HEY!!! Officer . . . run systems check. Who is she and why isn't' she evacuated?" There was a stiff uneasy silence until the scrawny nervous officer gained a horrid look off worry about his face. "Well?"

"I-I-I-I-I-It's . . ." He could hardly contain himself as he kept stuttering over his words.

"WELL? SPIT IT OUT." Roared the Captain impatiently. The officer swallowed hard and calmed his breathing.

"It's, her, sir."

"Her who?" Scowling down at him angrily.

"It's that Hybrid sir, the one we've been after."

"That mecha girl?"

"Y-yes sir . . . verification tag NDK-001, end code, Naomi." There was a strong unutterable silence in which awkward glances where exchanged. Both a mixture of fright and sheer surprise

"WELL DON'T' JUST STAND THERE!" He roared. "OPEN FIRE, JOHNSON, HIRIYAMA . . . PURSUE!" Two well build looking cops nodded and threw themselves on a pair of snazzy looking motorcycles and went off after her. She was already well down the street and almost out of sight but still found she had to dodge the occasional bullet.

"Ah, fuckin' Eh." She put reached her right hand into her back pocket and revealed a nice peace of artillery. A brilliant pearl handle nickel plated .45. Still attempting to clutch the goods close to her, she glanced back over her shoulder and shot off a full round at the on coming pursuers. As they closely approached she had managed to knock one clear off his bike, a nice shot to the upper left shoulder, his bike spun out of control and crashed into a nearby lamp post, sending him flying into the brick wall of one of the many abandoned buildings in the warehouse district. Naomi paused though as she heard a strange rumbling noise of explosion beneath her feet, the slight rumble was beginning to make her feel quite uneasy. Not paying attention, or rather, not caring, she had allowed the remaining cyclist to catch up with her. He had removed his helmet and had his piece pointed at her head, he was rambling on. Something about being under arrest and the reading of her rights which was ironic because being mecha she didn't have any. But she was too busy listening to strange sounds which seemed to be getting closer.

"If you ask me, it's about time you gave yourself up. Do us all a favor, freaks of nature shouldn't be let to roam the streets, attacking innocent people at will. You've been deemed a major threat to society and it must be my lucky day . . . I swear this is what reminds me why I took this job, to help remove filth like you from the . . . " His words quickly ceased as an array of explosions came bounding down the emptied streets, the officers face was horror stricken, his limbs seemed unable to move. The explosions trailed at high speeds toward them, Naomi threw herself into the window of the condemned drug house behind her. The officer however seemed unable to react fast enough and was quickly incinerated. She caught a quick glimpse out the window, artillery in hand. To the normal eye it was but an extravagant display of blurred shades of red and orange. Naomi's sharp eyes however just barely caught glimpse, as if in slow motion. Of what seemed a man of classical yet maniacal stature. His wispy red hair being thrashed about his face by both the blast of the explosions and the force of the wind. She stayed seemingly unnoticed, till his eerie golden hues turned to her hiding place. Naomi seemed frozen to her spot, captivated by the unmasked horror that fell behind his eyes. His maniacal expression paused for a moment, turning to a seriously confused sort of face. And almost attempted as though he were going to make a turn to come after her instead, his face held an intrigued sort of creepy grin, but was torn back to it's maniacal stature as the sirens from the blockade began to sound and come toward him. As he swept past, before leaving her site, she noticed he happened to be holding his hand a rather exquisitely crafted guitar. It puzzled her for the moment. But cleared it from her thought process, grabbed her stolen goods and headed toward the back entrance to the condemned house.

Naomi put her fingers to her lips and gave a rather musical whistle. Within a few minutes her furry companion had come to her call and she let him into the house. They sat in the middle of the floor, sorting out what goods she managed to keep through all the ruckus. Her face holding a slight expression of puzzlement, it was obvious she was questioning just who in the hell she was, and why the hell he was carrying a bass guitar of all things. She was broken out of her trance of deep thought by the nudging of Navaruu against her leg.

"Here bud." She said taking out a pocket knife, ripping open a pack of hotdogs and throwing a couple to him; grabbing half a pre-wrapped sub sandwich for herself. They sat and enjoyed they mediocre lunch in a rather stiff silence. Then Naomi packed up the rest of the food and gave a look around. "Hmm." She walked carefully upon the floor boards, inspecting them thoroughly with her eyes. "Ah ha!" Bending down and lifting up on of the loose floorboards she stashed the spoils of the day and replaced the floorboard. "This way we won't have to carry it, and nobody'll find it." Standing up and re-inserting the gun into one of her back pockets, she bent down to pick up some of the other treasures that had happened to find their way into the bunch. Miscellaneous machine parts, a few hardware tools, and what also looked like a cheap water pouch, an assortment of random bandanas, and 2 or 3 plain looking daggers. Navaruu gave her a confused look and then gave a small nibble on her leg. "Don' worry, It ain' all fer me, Geez." Naomi pulled a very nice spiked black collar and placed it round his neck. At first he wasn't sure what to make of it, but he then gave a nod and a small grunt of approval. She noticed as she was putting the assortment of bandanas in her pockets that he was eyeing the blue one in particular. Naomi pulled it back out, and folding the blue bandana she tied it around his left leg.

"Happy Now? . . . oh yeah." Her hand reached into her other back pocket and pulled out a small plastic back unmistakably marked 'dog treats' she took one out and tossed it to him which he caught in mid air. Navaruu squealed excitedly and lovingly nudged up against Naomi's thigh waiting to be petted; to which she scratched behind his ears and ruffled his fur. "Well, come on then."

Naomi then threw her floppy hoody back on, and began searching in her pockets. She pulled out a brand new pack of cigarettes that she undoubtedly had freshly snatched as well, along with an old silver Zippo, encrusted with a wolf howling at the moon which she had had for ages. They walked out the back door, giving the cigarettes a pack against the palm of her hand. Setting on loosely between her lips, and giving the lighter a flick. It emanated a small spark, and then set the tip of her cigarette a-blaze. Replacing her things in her pockets, as well as her hands, Naomi and Navaruu set back off down the deserted endlessly intertwining streets of Mynas.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~


The beginning of Chapter 1, rewritten ~ though still not finished. Lemme know what you think. This ones important to me so you've gotta be kind of serious.

Much Thanks and Much Love

~Asha