Fan Fiction ❯ Reality is an Illusion ❯ The War ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hello again everyone! I come to you with chapter one! I know it's still short, but the next chapter is longer (it's already six pages and still going). This one's pretty much just another information chapter. So have fun!

Reality is an Illusion
Chapter One - The War

3:30AM, Sunday, February 27, 2005: Central Africa

The night was darker than all others. A hazy mist surrounded the homes and dwellings in Abuja, Nigeria. A strange wind moved the clouds until they obscured all of light being emitted from the celestial objects. Anyone outside was suddenly urged to return to their rightful places. These abnormalities originated from an injured figure trekking across the sand and dirt, slowly making her way towards the center of the village. `I have to start the Calling soon. This battle and others like it are slowly being lost. They are our last hope.' The figure's thoughts returned to the battle that she had just fled.
-FLASHBACK-
The once yellow ground was now stained red with the blood of the individuals fighting. It was amazing how much blood could be spilt by such a number of people. Had this been the Umano side of the Earth, the ground would have still been the cheerful yellow it was meant to be. The Tigd dimension of Earth - the one they were currently in - was not a very peaceful place, as could be seen by the destruction surrounding the two opposing forces. If only Tigd did not exist, then everyone would peacefully live in Umano or Zeit. Tigd, Umano, and Zeit were three dimensions that ran parallel to each other, and so were mirror images of each other. Tigd was the first dimension that was discovered, and as such was the dimension that most Duvakon lived in - the dimension that the battles took place, and the most devastating. Umano was the next dimension that was found and inhabited, but only those either oblivious or innocent to the destruction of Tigd, were allowed to live there. Finally Zeit, the last dimension rumored to be found, was the land of the dead and the Higher-Uppers - the gods. Zeit was a rumor, because anyone who was said to have made it there never returned. Or if there were those who did return, they were forcefully thrown back into one of the other two dimensions with only a faint recollection of what had happened before, and at, their journey to Zeit.
But now was not the time for wishful thinking about the destruction of an entire dimension. The figure reflected on how the fight had been going steadily downhill from the beginning. Their sections of the Vita Protezione - the Sorceress, Warlock, and Beast Defenders - had been ready to ambush the enemy, but were taken by surprise. They had been battling for a good part of the day, and now there were more injured than able-bodied, and more fighters beginning to weary - she was no exception. She was the second-in-command of the Sorceress clan - a tall, playful, blond haired, blue eyed woman, named Clarimonde - and as she glanced at her most trusted partner, she watched as an approaching Duvakon tried attacking his exposed back. Shouting a warning, she ran into the path of the approaching enemy and took the blow for her friend. Now fatigued and injured Clarimonde had no choice but to continue to battle where she was, leaving her in a more weakened and unprotected state.
“Clarimonde?! What happened?” Clarimonde's childhood friend, Damon, was startled when he noticed his partner's actions. He was a tall, spirited, red-haired, grey eyed man - the second-in-command of the Warlocks - and was ranked where he was for the same reason as she. They were both Sybrohians - certain individuals who had the power to call upon the sacred magic of their clans. “Are you okay?”
Clarimonde's tone was teasing. “I just saved your hide. And I'll live, I think. Although this wound hurts a heck of a lot. You owe me, Damon.” Clarimonde grinned back at Damon after stabbing a canine Duvakon through the heart. “You're treating me to dinner after we're done with this.”
Damon breathed a sigh of relief. “Whatever you say, oh mighty exalted one.” After fending off his own set of Duvakon for the moment, he looked back to childishly stick his tongue out at Clarimonde, which caused his eyes to widen at the site before them. A group of Duvakon had noticed Clarimonde's inattentiveness and had decided that she would be an easy target. His breath hitched as he did the only thing he could. “Look out!”
Turing around, Clarimonde noticed too late the charging Duvakon, and before she, or anyone else could raise a hand to stop them, they surged around her and brutally attacked. Fresh wounds, bruises, and would-be scars appeared all over her body from the onslaught. Damon finally cleared enough space between his own battles to help with her burden. Clarimonde, allowed a moment of rest, decided that she needed to get serious. Calling upon her Sybrohin inside of her - as an individual from the sorceress clan, her powers ruled over any type of water - the light blue of her pupils began to glow, and bled out to consume the rest of her eye, making a wave of Sybrohin water appear in midair. As it landed on a majority of her attackers, it trapped, and then drowned them. Deciding on how to defeat the remaining numbers surrounding them, she unsheathed her blade and froze it over. These creatures would pay. Eyes still pulsing blue, she stabbed and viciously attacked anything that ran into her. Clearing away some Duvakon around her, Clarimonde looked around at the remaining number of her army and those of the opposing one. All of the Vita Protezione fighters were either wounded or exhausted, they were outnumbered, and she knew they would not last much longer. Ready to faint herself - as a cause of the overuse of her powers - Clarimonde made a split decision and created a portal to Umano. Looking over and locking pained eyes with Damon, she saw him nod and turned away quickly to find their last hope. Limping through the portal, she closed it as soon as she was on the other side and made her way to the center of the town. Ignoring the burned image of those grey eyes, she also ignored the reason they were pained. They both knew that she might not be there for the return journey.
-PRESENT-
Running out of stamina, Clarimonde had to halt her progress as close to the center of the city as she could get. It was time to begin the Calling. She began the chant and six objects surrounded her. They glowed and shot off into the distance. At the same time, the prophetic individuals stirred in their sleep, subconsciously knowing that their lives were about to change forever.


Unknown
King Akonse, ruler of Zeit looked down upon Abuja, watching Clarimonde's actions. The time to call the other Higher-Uppers was now. They began showing up, with the last two arrivers, Fate and Destiny walking in with plain disgust on their faces - directed at the other.
“Fate.”
“Destiny.”
“We will see what our disagreement has lead to. The fate of the world is in your hands. Or, it was, and then you bungled up your job..” Destiny got a thoughtful look on her face.
“It wasn't my job! You were being stubborn, and I was trying to knock you off of your high-horse! You don't run Zeit! That's Akonse's job!” Fate retaliated.
“Well then, going by that logic, you shouldn't have meddled either! I wasn't being stubborn, I was right! Your logic would have killed them and changed reality as we know it!”
“Well, reality isn't exactly peachy anyway! They still may be killed!”
Unknown to the two fighting, the other gods were placing bets on who would win - at least, until Akonse glared at them, and they became aware of the wrongs of their actions - but then the King smiled and secretly joined in. After, in his loud, booming voice, he commanded everyone's attention.
“I have called you here today to inform you that those who were prophesized are now going to be sent on their journey. None of us-” he glared at Fate and Destiny, who both sheepishly turned away. “-are allowed to meddle in any affairs that pertain to them. They have to make it through these trials themselves for this prophesy to fulfill itself. Whatever comes to pass, we can only watch. Is this clear to everyone?” He watched as the room filled with dejected murmurs of agreement. “Good. You are all dismissed. We will meet again when this has all ended.”
Ignoring the `Don't-we-have-a-choice-about-this..' and `But-I-don't-want-to-watch-the-world-be-saved-by-a-bunch-of-people-w hile-we-don't-get-popcorn..' grumbles, he walked to his Zeitian home, got ready for bed, and heaved a tired sigh. “May all the luck in the world be with you, young ones..” Shaking his head, he settled into bed and forcefully reminded himself that this was supposed to happen - but that only made him feel worse.

A/N: So..? What'd you think? Next chapter goes into the actually prophesized children! ::gasp!:: Who would've thought? Moving along, if you have any comments, concerns, or questions, let me know! I'll be waiting!
--Chisuto--