Fan Fiction ❯ SnowFlakes ❯ Snowflakes ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I own the full rights to Li Hiroshi. Devon does not belong to me but he is my sister's character. Everything in this story is mine and though in the case of Devon, my sister's. Now onto the story.

The story isn't as long as I had hoped it would be…but I was under a dead line in writing it and I'm going to go back and add more to it when I get around to it.

Inside a semi-dark hospital room with just a single, faint light on over the only bed, a young man with light purple hair and red-rimmed sea green eyes sits in a chair next to the bed, leaning over a young woman with aqua hair and bright blue eyes who is lying on it. Her breath is coming slow and unevenly, her body is fragile looking, a side effect of the treatments she is undergoing. Devon reaches out slowly to gently wipe at the tears of pain on his girlfriend's cheeks as he grips her hand with his other. He closes his eyes briefly, it hurting him to no end to see his girlfriend hurting so badly and wishes there was something he could do to change it. "Hiroshi…please fight this…you managed to fight it before. Don't leave me." His voice is a low whisper as he watches her. A soft sigh comes from him as he lowers his head and rests it on the bed, gripping her hand as he places a gentle kiss on it.

The only noises in the hospital room is the constant sounds of the machines attached to Hiroshi as she lays on the bed just a sheet covering her rather thin body. She slowly turns her head to the side to gaze at her boyfriend with a sad expression on her very pale face. She reaches out slowly with the hand he's not holding onto and slides her fingers through his hair carefully. A soft moan comes from her as the pain gets worse and lays back down, reaching for the device that will allow her to give herself more medication to ease the pain. Devon….I am so sorry for leaving you…I know I promised you forever.....but I can't fight much longer.. Her thoughts trail off as the medication takes effect and she drifts into a dreamless sleep.

Slowly he becomes aware of something or someone shaking him gently and his eyes flutter open to focus on the face of Hiroshi's doctor. He straightens from his hunched over position and winces a little as the muscles in his back complain then looks up at the doctor silently, no words needed to be said for the doctor's expression says it all. "There…isn't anything you can do?" His voice is barely a whisper as he speaks, the tears about to start threatening again. The hopeful look in his eyes dies as the doctor shakes his head then motions for him to follow him out of the room.

The doctor closes the door after them before turning to face Devon, a sad look on his face. "I'm afraid not, Nakano-san. Her leukemia is resisting any treatment. It will just be a matter of time now. We'll make her as comfortable as possible but her chances at surviving are only five percent." He pauses for a moment, looking at the fearful expression on the younger man's face then awkwardly pats him on the arm before walking away.

Devon just stands there, staring at the doctor's retreating back then slowly turns and walks back into his girlfriend's hospital room wondering how could this have happened, it having been over ten years since Hiroshi's leukemia had been treated. This isn't fair…it's just not fair…she shouldn't be dying, not on Christmas Eve Why is this happening…? To her? To us…? He attempts to swallow back the tears as he sits down next to Hiroshi and gently takes her hand in his again, bowing his head as the tears escape and fall onto her hand.

Dull blue eyes slowly open as she moans quietly then turns her head in his direction, not sure what is wrong for her memories are fuzzy from her head hurting and her throat is extremely dry as she whispers hoarsely. "Devon…" She blinks several times and once bright blue eyes widen in fear. "Devon…why is it so dark…?" Fear colors her voice as she rasps out.

His eyes dart at the light against the wall that is turned on before licking his lips and turning to face her, whispering softly. "The lights are turned off, that's why it's so dark, koi, and it's night time." Strokes the side of her face lightly, wanting as much contact with her as possible in the short time they have left together. He sits there trying to figure out how to tell her that she's dying when he hears her soft voice and looks at her again.

"Devon….I know..that I'm…dying…I can feel it.." She leans into his touch as she says those words, shocking her boyfriend completely and closes her sightless eyes. For a moment, she pauses as she gathers her thoughts as best as she can. "I wish I wasn't..but I can't fight anymore. It just hurts too much. I'm so sorry for doing this to you…first your mother died of cancer and now I'm leaving you as well.." Her voice trails off as she lets out a whimper of pain, struggling against the increasing pain and reaches blindly for the dial that when turned, will ease the pain.

He stares at his girlfriend, the love of his life, as the hours tick away at an agonizing pace and watches with a breaking heart as she gets steadily weaker with each passing moment and he knows that in his heart that he doesn't have much time left with her. Hiroshi…please don't leave me…I need you so much. He pleads mentally with her, wishing she could stay with him but knows that her time is very limited and that she has nothing left to fight the leukemia with. I'll always love you…

Several hours later, something makes him jerk awake and he looks around wildly, wondering what woke him up then focuses on his girlfriend who is gasping for air and his green eyes widen in fear as he leans over her, grabbing her hand again. "Shi…no..please don't leave me.." His voice trials off as he watches completely helpless as she turns her head to stare at him with those bright blue eyes of hers before her entire body arches upwards as she struggles for air, the light that appeared in her eyes dying as quickly as it appeared. "Aishiteru, Hiroshi…forever." Tears slide down his face as he buries his face into her now still chest, clinging to her.

Devon tosses around on his bed then he bolts upright, looking around wildly his bedroom and then turns to stare down at a peacefully, sleeping Hiroshi laying next to him then looks around the bedroom again, trying to figure out what happened when his dream comes slamming back into him hard. "No…oh god…that felt so real…" His eyes focus on his sleeping girlfriend and gently reaches down to run a hand through her aqua colored hair, sighing in pure relief when he realizes that it was all a dream and that he didn't lose her. He lays back down and wraps his arms around her firmly, placing a kiss on her forehead. "I love you so much…"

"Hmm….? Love you too, Devon." Her sleepy voice returns as she shifts and curls against him firmly, drifting back to sleep after having been woken up by him pulling her towards him.

He lays there, staring at the ceiling as he cradles his precious girlfriend to him and vows that he will never let anything happen to her, a smile on his face as he closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep as well.