Fan Fiction ❯ Ten Years Later ❯ Trigon's Trap ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ten Years Later
By
Brandon “GoldenSama” Rice
 
Chapter Nine
“Trigon's Trap”
 
A/N: I just found out that last time I updated, on the eighth, it was AstaOmega11's birthday. Well, happy birthday dude, and for a present I shall dedicate this chapter to you! BB/Rae fans rejoice, your moment has finally come! With that said - go enjoy the fic! A special thank you to Kodra, who helped me come up with storylines for this chapter. Thanks dude, your awesome. In addition, because I have learned that having review replies will, for some reason, result in your story being removed; I have removed all review replies. X_X Sorry.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
Nightwing swung his bo-staff, but Slade dodge it easily and counter with his own staff, knocking Nightwing down. Nightwing hit the ground of the church with a heavy thud and he grunted. Slade shook his head.
 
“Not good enough Robin.” Slade informed him as their training session paused.
 
“For the last time, that isn't my name anymore.” Nightwing snapped, jumping to his feet and aiming a kick at Slade's head. Slade lifted his hand and blocked the kick, then he grabbed Nightwing's ankle and twisted his leg around. Nightwing let out a grunt of pain as Slade kicked him in the stomach.
 
“You want me to call you Nightwing, prove to me that you deserve it.” Slade snapped. “Nightwing was a Kryptonian Superhero, a legend among his people; what makes you think you deserve that name?”
 
Nightwing was shocked that Slade knew where he had gotten the name. Indeed, he had chosen to call himself Nightwing in honor of a Kryptonian hero that Superman had once told him about while he was visiting Gotham. He glared at Slade, did a back flip and hurled a disc at Slade. Slade sidestepped the disc, which froze the wall solid where it hit. However, Slade walked right into Nightwing's real attack and the former boy wonder kicked Slade hard in the side of the face, knocking him to the ground.
 
“What makes you think I don't?” Nightwing smirked as Slade picked himself up off the ground.
 
“That's better Robin, much better.” Slade admitted, then he charged forward in a flash. Nightwing back-flipped and tried to kick Slade, but Slade caught his foot and threw Nightwing into a nearby wall. “But you are still out of your league.”
 
Raven watched the fight without any particular interest. She was still brooding about the things going on, and the things she suspected were going on. Kori was a few feet away from her, also watching the sparring match with interest, but Raven could not be as enthusiastic about it. Raven sighed again, and that is when she felt a presence beside her. She turned to see Garfield standing at her right.
 
“What is it?” She asked him.
 
“You look stressed.” Garfield informed her.
 
“Gee, I wonder why that is?” Raven sarcastically replied.
 
“You need to chill Rae. C'mon, come hang out with me.”
 
“What?” Raven raised an eyebrow.
 
“I'm serious. Cyborg's sleeping and I need some advice on how to write the last episode of Space Trek.” Garfield told her, and then he lifted his hand up to show her a old notebook with the words `Space Trek Finale' written across the top.
 
“I don't think I could be much help.” Raven admitted to him.
 
“You don't have to contribute to it. Just come hang out with me while I write it. Please? I need inspiration, and it'll do you some good to chill for a few minutes.” Garfield pointed out.
 
“My father could send another of his minions after us at any moment. We could all be dead by tomorrow morning, and you're thinking about a television show?” Raven's eyebrow rose.
 
“TV's helpful during Armageddon.” Garfield insisted, and when he saw her skeptic look, he laughed. “Seriously! Look at every major crisis in world history. World War II, terrorist attacks, the AIDS outbreak; people have always been able to turn to TV to escape the crappy world. If a big ugly demon is going to come kill us all, then I know my fans don't want to die without seeing the ending of the show.”
 
Raven cracked a small, sleepy smile. “Fine, I'll hang out with you until my mother's ready to teach me the spells to defeat Trigon.”
 
“Deal!” Garfield squealed happily, then he grabbed her hand and pulled her back into the bedroom she and Kori shared. He closed the door behind them and then ran up and sat on the bed, propping open his notebook and taking a pen and a penny out of his pocket. Raven recognized the coin as his `lucky penny' and she shook her head, amazed that he still had it after all these years.
 
“So what happens in this finale?”
 
“Well, Lowery, that's my character, is up on this old space temple, looking for this tablet thingy to wake Sparrow, that's his girlfriend, up from the spell thingy.” Garfield explained, not looking at her the entire time. He knew she was smart enough to see the resemblance between herself and Sparrow, and she knew the implication that it made.
 
“Right.” Raven decided that, for his sake, she would pretend to be interested.
 
“Yeah. Well, he gets in the temple, and then this space demon dude attacks him, and that's where I get stuck.” Garfield said, and she noticed a strange tone in his voice, as if he had rehearsed this conversation repeatedly in his head.
 
“Why do you get stuck?” Raven asked him.
 
“Well, I don't know if Lowery should defeat the demon dude and save Sparrow, and then fall happily in love with her, or if the demon dude should kill him and he dies without ever telling her that he loves her.” Garfield said, rather quietly.
 
“You know, you're pathetically obvious.” Raven said bluntly.
 
“Huh? What do you mean?” Garfield asked.
 
“Garfield, let's just get this out of the way.” Raven told him.
 
“Get what out of the -”
Don't. Don't play dumb. Not about this.” Raven warned him in a stern, serious, cold voice. Garfield looked at her, staring straight into her eyes, then he sighed and nodded.
 
“Is this about what I wrote in my book?” Garfield asked her.
 
“Yes.” Raven replied bluntly once more. She did not break her stare at him, which caused him to blush and look away. “And this is about you making a character based on me, who is the lost love of your character in Space Trek.”
 
Garfield shifted beneath her gaze. “Do we have to talk about this now?”
 
“Don't you want too?” Raven asked him. “You wanted too back in your kitchen.”
 
“I know, but I'm worried.” Garfield admitted. “I'm worried about what you're going to say. I . . . Rae, I . . .”
 
“Garfield.” Raven said abruptly with a gentle tone in her voice. It was not the usual cold seriousness that he was used too, and he did not know what to make of the change. “Just tell me how you feel.”
 
“How I feel? Rae, I . . . ten years ago. I used to think about you ever day, you know? I used to think about you from the time I'd wake up till I'd go to sleep, and I'd dream about you in-between. . . . Okay, forget what I just said, I sound like a stalker, huh?” Garfield was getting nervous, and trying to cover his nerves with jokes.
 
Raven sighed and sat down on the bed next to him. She reached down and picked up his lucky penny, then she looked at him and she wondered how silly she must look. Here she was, discussing his crush on her and his television show while the fate of everyone on the planet hung in the balance. It was stupid, selfish and wrong. She would not, and could not, be doing this now.
 
However, part of her argued against that. Part of her reminded her that Trigon the Terrible, the demon lord who had slaughtered entire civilizations for thousands of years, had his sights set on Earth. Part of her reminded her that unless they got very lucky, they would all be dead soon and it would be her fault. Part of her reminded her just how much she wanted this. She could deny to him, or to anyone else, her feelings; but not to herself. For reasons unknown to her, she had fallen for him ten years ago. He had gone from annoying grass stain to a trusted friend and would have become much more if circumstances had allowed it. Now she was sitting here and she realized that she controlled fate.

She had control over what happened next. If she rejected him now, that was it. There would be no second chance, and there would never be anything between them. If she accepted him now, then what did that mean? Certainly she and Garfield would not wind up like Nightwing and Starfire? No, that Raven could not see happening. No . . . much more likely her father would use her feelings for him against her, and it would make him a target.
 
However, Raven knew the feelings were there one way or another. Trigon would sense them one way or another. It did not matter whether something happened between her and Garfield or not, she knew how she felt about him, and Trigon would too. Trigon would target him for her feelings whether she shared them with him or not, so what was the point in denying them and denying herself the temporary pleasure of his company if he would still suffer for it later? It was not fair. It was not fair that he had to suffer because he loved her, and it was even less fair that she loved him back, sealing his fate.

Raven paused. She loved him?
 
Did she? Her subconscious mind told her yes, she did. She had ten years ago, and she still did now. Not that Raven was an expert on love. The Azar who raised her on Azarath had not loved her. No one on Azarath did. Aside from the Azar and Arella, everyone else on Azarath hated her for what she was and what she would become. Her mother . . . Raven could not say she loved Arella. She had affection for her mother, and respect, but she did not know if it ever went past that. Her friends . . . Nightwing, Kori, Cyborg . . . yes, she loved them, but that love was different.
 
“Forget I said anything Rae.”
Raven was shaken from her thoughts. She realized that they had been sitting in silence for a long time, and with every second that she had not replied to him, he had started to feel more dejected. He had stood up and began approaching the door, and she'd been so lost in thought she had failed to even notice. He took this as a hint that she did not want to speak to him.
 
“No, wait.” Raven called quietly. He paused at the door, his hand on the handle.
 
“What?” He asked, his voice filled with a mixture of desperation, hope and dejection.
 
“I . . . I feel the same way.” Raven whispered, and then she shut her eyes and bit her tongue after she uttered those words. She knew she had just elevated Garfield Logan to Trigon's new primary target.
 
“What?” Garfield repeated, this time his voice held only one emotion: shock.
 
“I don't know why. God knows you bug the crap out of me . . . but I . . . I feel the same way about you that you do about me.” Raven opened her eyes again, and he was right in front of her. He had an unreadable expression on his face. It was halfway between happiness and disbelief. He tilted his head to the side, like a dog would when confused, and stared at her.
 
“Do you mean you love me?” Garfield asked her at length.
 
“That's what I said.” Raven replied, a cold shiver going down her spine.
 
“No.” Garfield shook his head. “You didn't say that. You implied it, but you didn't say it.”
 
Raven looked down at her lap, away from him, but a second later his hand was on her chin forcing her face back up to meet his eyes. She contemplated blasting him with her psychic powers, but decided against it. She would just have to suffer through this. Her eyes met his and he pleaded silently, without words, with his large round eyes.
 
“Say it Rae.” Garfield pleaded.
 
“What does it matter?” She asked him, on the defensive.

“I want to hear you say it.” Garfield responded quietly.
 
“Garfield, I'm not good at things like this.” Raven admitted.
 
“Say it.” Garfield pressured her even further with annoying persistence.
 
“. . . I . . .” Raven stammered.
 
“Don't be afraid, Raven.” Garfield reassured her.
 
“. . . I love you. Are you happy now?” Raven said quickly.

“Are you just saying that?” Garfield teased her.

“Don't push me.” Raven warned him.
 
“Sorry Rae.” Garfield smiled. “But yeah, I am happy. I love you two, by the way.”
 
“`By the way', boy don't I feel special?” Raven rolled her eyes in sarcasm.
 
Garfield smiled like a child in a candy store, and before Raven realized what was happening next, he had his arms wrapped around her pulling her into an uncomfortable hug. Not that it was physically discomforting, actually quite on the contrary. Raven felt a kind of quiet warm settle in her stomach as he hugged her tightly, and while he was pressing his body against her Raven felt as if she was finally at peace for the first time since waking up from her coma. However, the discomfort came with the knowledge that she had now made him Trigon's prime target, and she knew it.
 
When he broke away, he looked at her and he sighed. He could see the discomfort building in her face, and she wished she could explain to him what was wrong. She wished she had a way to make him understand how she felt, but there was no way to do that. She was still having a hard time adjusting to everything, and this was not helping. Well, no, that was only half true.
 
He was helping. Knowing he loved her helped in more ways than she could possibly explain to him. She did not fully understand her attraction to Garfield, but she knew that in her heart she felt better knowing he shared her feelings. It gave her hope that when this entire thing was over and everything with Trigon was said and done, they may have a possibility of a happy future.
 
Raven sighed. She knew chances were low on that, since the future was uncertain and the only thing she could count on was her father doing something horrible.
 
“I'm going to go.” Raven announced, standing up.
 
“What? No, Rae, stay.” Garfield pleaded.
 
“I need to get some sleep. Arella wants me to begin my training in the morning.” Raven reminded him. “I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
Raven turned and began to walk towards the door, but she felt him stand up a moment later and then she felt his hand grab her by the wrist and turn her around. She was facing him once again, looking down at him. He reached up and pressed his lips lightly against hers, taking her by complete surprise. Not even a powerful psychic like Raven could have predicted that happening. Garfield attempted to deepen the kiss, but she broke away.
 
He stared at her with hurt eyes, but she shook her head. He did not understand. She needed to get some sleep before her training to fight Trigon, and if something happened between them now it would consume her mind and keep her awake all night long. Already she ran that risk. She turned and exited the room without another word to him, unaware of the dejected look on his face and his crestfallen heart. She assumed he would understand why she could not do all of the things they both wanted right now; but she was wrong.
 
Garfield sighed sadly and turned back to his room, plopping down on the bed with a soft sigh escaping his lips. He was confused. He did not understand why she claimed to love him, but then ran so quickly when he tried to kiss her. Perhaps she did not love him? No, he could feel the warmth on her lips in the brief instant that they had connected. Then what explanation could there be? Garfield never would have guessed the truth. He sighed once again and closed his eyes, feeling like the weight of the world was pressing down on his stomach.
 
Garfield was so wrapped up in the questions plaguing his mind after the encounter with Raven that he did not notice the soft sound of the window on the wall of his room opening. He did not hear the sound of rain from outside as it pelted against the floor, and he certainly did not hear the sound of someone crawling into his room.
 
Then Garfield felt something cold press against his throat. He opened his eyes and saw a tall, pale man with dark hair and a goatee holding a knife against his throat, and pressing a finger against his own lips making the universal symbol for silence. Garfield froze. Two other men were in the room, as well, and Gar never heard them enter. His first instinct was to scream, or to fight, but he knew that either of those choices would result in his death.
 
Then Gar felt something prick his arm and he looked over in time to see one of the other two men injecting him with something from a needle. A split-second later his vision blurred and he got a horrible headache that split and pounded. Garfield passed out after that, and the men hurried his unconscious body out the window, successful in their mission to Trigon the Terrible.
 
----
 
Raven was back in main part of the church where worships take place. She sat on an old wooden bench, near Cyborg and Kori, watching the sparring match between Nightwing and Slade continue. So far, Nightwing and Slade were both displaying their skills as they beat each other with bo-staffs and fists and kicks. Raven was impressed at how powerful Robin had become, he was much better than she remembered him, and that was saying a lot considering ten years ago he had been one of the most skilled fighters she had ever met.
 
Slade was Slade. For every punch Nightwing threw, Slade could block, dodge or counter it. For every kick, Slade was able to avoid it or catch it. For every swing of his bo-staff, Slade was able to block Nightwing's attack with his own staff. Slade, even aged ten years, was still a force to be reckoned with. Raven did not know if that was very good or not, considering Slade was Slade. He claimed to be on their side, and Arella trusted him; but Arella had been known for making mistakes in the past, hadn't she? She had given herself to Trigon as a bride. That was certainly a mistake.
 
“So who's winning?” Raven asked.
 
“Nobody. They're both too good at blocking and dodging.” Cyborg replied. “Nobody can get a hit in.”
 
At that moment, Slade smacked Nightwing down on the ground hard with his bo-staff, causing a river of blood to begin flowing from Nightwing's nose.
 
“Err . . . never mind.” Cyborg sweatdropped.
 
“Slade is a cheater.” Kori insisted.
 
“Really? I never would have guessed.” Raven's sarcastic reply was typical.
 
“Where's BB?” Cyborg asked Raven.
 
“Still in his room.” Raven replied, trying not to notice the small blush that threatened to overtake her pale cheeks.
 
“You two were in there all alone for quite some time.” Cyborg grinned teasingly. “Anything you want to talk about?”
 
“No.” Raven replied flatly.
 
“Did he put the moves on you Rae?” Cyborg asked, also taking a blunt tone.
 
“Cyborg, drop it.” Raven snapped, but the redness in her cheeks was a dead giveaway, and Cyborg laughed. Kori smiled at Raven.
 
“I'm happy for you two.” Kori said.
 
“Nothing happened.” Raven still denied it, though mostly out of habit.
 
“C'mon, be real.” Cyborg insisted. “We can see it in your face.”
 
Raven turned her face away from him, but when she looked the other direction she found herself staring at Kori, who was even worse than Cyborg with her big green eyes, so Raven finally had to turn and watch the sparring match.
 
Then the front door of the church opened, and Nightwing and Slade both paused and turned. The three sitting on the bench got up and looked, and Arella appeared from out of a back room and glanced towards the door as well. A tall man with pale skin and dark hair walked in the room. He had a goatee and a sinister smile on his face.
 
“Greetings.” He called to the group. In an instantly he found Slade on one side of him and Nightwing standing on the other side, both looked ready to attack. Nightwing and Slade both held up their bo-staves in a defensive position, Cyborg aimed his arm cannon, and Kori's hands turned green with starbolts forming.
 
“I'd be careful.” The goatee man said. “If you kill me, your friend will die as well.”
 
The group collectively froze. Arella walked forward.
 
“Who are you?”
 
“My name is Havoc. Steven Havoc. I am the leader of a cult that worships Trigon the Terrible, and I come on his behalf.” The goatee man replied. “I bring a message for Raven.” Havoc looked directly at Raven as he made this declaration.
 
“We're not interested.” Raven responded bitterly. Slade and Nightwing both advanced on Havoc, but he did not budge. Instead, his smile only grew and he said something that froze Raven down to her bones.
 
“You either listen to what I have to say, or the green one will die.”

Nightwing and Slade both paused and Raven, who had turned to leave the room, spun back around in horror as she realized that Garfield was missing from the scene. Havoc was smiling in a sick way, and Raven walked up to him.
 
“What did you do?”
 
“I kidnapped him not long ago. He is being held at a location near here. If you cooperate with me, he shall be unharmed. If not, my associates will deliver him to you in separate boxes.” Havoc informed her with glee in his demented voice. Raven's eyes flashed back and Havoc was thrown into the wall of the church. He grunted in pain and fell onto his knees, but was suddenly lifted off the ground by Raven's powers.
 
“Bring him back here.” Raven demanded.
 
“No.” Havoc replied.
 
“I'll kill you.” Raven threatened him. She felt horrible. Garfield was already in danger because of her, just as she had known he would be. This was all because of her stupid mistake.
 
“If I die, so does he.” Havoc grinned.
 
“Raven, enough!” Nightwing called. “We'll find Gar.”
 
“No you won't.” Havoc smiled. Raven released Havoc, but since she had been lifting him in the air, he fell a long ways. He hit the ground and landed on one foot, causing his leg to snap back painfully and break. Havoc screamed in pain and grabbed his injured leg. Raven showed no mercy. She used her powers to take hold of his injured leg and lift it in the air, then drop it on the ground. Havoc began to cry, but Raven only repeated the process.
 
“Raven, stop!” Nightwing shouted again.

“Let her go.” Slade called to Nightwing. “She's getting results.”
 
“Fine, I'll tell you!” Havoc cried out in pain. Tears fell from his face, but Raven took no pity on him at all and she continued to beat his broken leg into the ground with her powers. She did not let up at all, anger was taking control and ration was thrown aside and trampled on. Slade was smiling at her fury, but the others were horrified.
 
“We have him stashed at a warehouse near the bay!” Havoc screamed. “Stop! Please stop hurting me!”
 
Raven smashed his leg one final time, and then she stepped over the weeping man and towards the door. Slade cut her off.
 
“Where do you think you're going?” He asked in a mocking tone.
 
“Don't screw with me right now.” Raven warned him.
 
“Raven.” Arella's voice was gentle, but firm at the same time. “If you step foot outside of this church, Trigon will be able to use you to open the portal.”
 
Raven sighed and stopped at the doorway. She shut her eyes and her body shook a bit. She did not know what to do. If she did not go, Garfield would die. If she did, Trigon would win. Either way she was in pain, and either way she knew the fate of everyone was her fault. She had caused this. Things would have been better for everyone involved if she just stayed in her coma.
 
“Wilson, go rescue Garfield.” Arella ordered. Slade narrowed his eye at her, and for a moment, he did not move from his spot. At length, however, he did reach down and pick up Havoc by the shirt collar.
 
“You will take me to the warehouse.” Slade informed him.
 
“N-no. They'll kill me.” Havoc whined.
 
“My dear man, I will kill you.” Slade replied. “The girl was just angry, I'm downright evil. Let me show you what I mean.”
 
Slade whipped a small knife from his belt and stabbed it into Havoc's injured leg. Havoc screamed out in pain, but Slade only twisted the knife around causing his blood to spatter out onto Slade's hand. Havoc screamed again and began to choke on his sobs.
 
“Fine! I'll take you! I'll take you!” He screamed in between heaving sobs.
 
“Good.” Slade dropped Havoc on the ground. “You can carry him, Robin.” He announced.
 
Nightwing narrowed his eyes, however he said nothing. He and Cyborg stepped forward and Cyborg picked Havoc up. Nightwing and Cyborg then began to follow Slade, no words needed. Nightwing hated the idea of following Slade's lead, but this was to save their friend, so for now he did not have a choice. Every second they wasted arguing was a second Garfield could be killed during, so for now he would have to put aside his regrets of working with a man who had made his teenage years hell.
 
Kori started to follow them, but Nightwing turned around and stopped her. “Stay with Raven and Arella.” He told her.
 
“I want to go with you.” Kori replied.
 
“They need you here. Arella can't fight if something else comes, and Raven's too emotionally stressed.” Nightwing informed her.
 
Kori sighed and bit her lip. She knew he was right, as he often was. She sighed and gave him a small hug, and then she walked over to where Arella was trying to calm Raven. Raven ignored her mother's words and paced around, angry that she was confined to this building while someone she cared for was in danger because of her.
 
As Slade, Nightwing and Cyborg hurried off into the night, following Havoc's directions, none of them were aware that they had done exactly as Trigon had hoped they would.
 
----
 
Garfield opened his eyes. He looked around and found himself sitting in the corner of a darkened building, some sort of warehouse. Outside he heard the cries of gulls and he realized he must be near the harbor. He always recognized different animal noises, for the obvious reason. Garfield looked around the building he was in. Aside from piles of crates and an old conveyer belt, it was completely empty of anyone. His ankles and wrists were bound with irons, and he knew he was in trouble.
 
He was not worrying about himself, however, but Raven. She was on his mind, flooding him with concerns. Was she okay? Had these guys gotten to her and the others? Would she be safe? Would they use kidnapping him as a way to hurt her? He could not figure it out, though. He and Raven had only just expressed their feelings for each other, and already it had been used against them.
 
“I can read her mind, you know. That is how I knew to kidnap you.”

Garfield looked up and found three men. Two wore white robes and had dark hair; they had been Havoc's followers and had gone with him when they kidnapped Garfield. The third wore a black robe and his hair was so long it fell down around his waist. The man in the black robe had eyes that sparkled with a harsh yellow light.
 
“Who're you?” Garfield demanded.
 
“I go by many names.” The black robbed man scoffed. “To you and your world, I am called Trigon.”
 
Garfield blinked. “Dude, like, THE Trigon? I kinda imagined you'd be a bit scarier looking.”

The black robbed man laughed. “I cannot manifest myself in your world, yet, so I have possessed the body of one of my cultists.” Trigon explained. His smile was deadly, and Garfield felt like his eyes were digging right into him.
 
Trigon, in his human body, walked closer to Garfield and bent down so they were on eye level. Gar could see the yellow of Trigon's eyes behind the human's pale blue ones, and he knew the demon was really there and that this was not just a bad joke. Garfield felt his body tense up, and Trigon seemed enticed by his fear.
 
“I am curious of something, mortal.” Trigon announced. “Why is it that my daughter has taken to liking you?”

Garfield blinked. “Huh?”

“What is your appeal to her? I cannot understand it. Of all of her friends, you seem the most unlike her. You are the most idiotic and pointless of the group. I don't see how you can possibly hold any appeal at all.” It was hard to tell if Trigon said these things because he was genuinely curious, or if he was just trying to be cruel. Either way, Garfield was angry.
 
“Dude, I'm curious of something too. Why are you so freakin' insane?” Garfield asked him.
 
“Amusing.” Trigon laughed. “I wish we had longer to talk, small green one, but my hour approaches.”
 
“Dude, if you think Raven's gonna help you come to Earth, you're nuts.” Garfield spat at him. Trigon laughed.
 
“Foolish human. Even as we speak, your friends are coming here to rescue you. What they do not realize is that it is a trap. They will arrive, and they, and you, will perish here. In the meanwhile, a very trusted servant will be paying a visit to the church, where Raven will come out past the seal and I will be able to manifest myself in this world.” Trigon informed him of his plans.
 
“Dude, Rae won't ever leave that church, not for any minion of yours.”

Garfield felt his spine go cold when Trigon turned to face him again. The dark demon was smiling in a way that made Garfield sick to his stomach.
 
“It will not be a minion she sees. It will be a friend.” Trigon smirked. A moment later, a third man in a white robe ran up.
 
“Milord, they are here!” He called out. Trigon's grin only grew in width.
 
“Excellent!” Trigon growled. Suddenly Garfield felt blind, as every light in the warehouse instantly went out. A moment later, his acute hearing noticed footsteps, and hushed voices.
 
“Where is he?” Cyborg demanded.
 
“Somewhere in here.” Havoc replied between dry sobs.
 
“Be on guard.” Slade warned the group. The four of them were making their way through the warehouse. Cyborg led the way, Havoc in his arms, with Slade on his right side and Nightwing on his left. Everyone was looking around in every direction, and Cyborg was checking his scanners, but the result was strange.
 
“Yo, I can't get a read on any lifeforms here. My systems can't even detect us!” Cyborg exclaimed as he noticed his arm scanner.

“It's a spell.” Slade informed him. “It hides all life reading inside this building. No way to know where anyone is. Trigon's smart.”
 
Garfield had heard enough. He could see the light of Cyborg's flashlight shoulder coming around the corner. He could also see Trigon and his three human minions waiting ready to strike in the shadow. He decided to warn his friends.
 
“IT'S A TRAP DUDES!” Garfield shouted. His friends were only just in view when he yelled this, and they suddenly froze. Trigon cursed, and his three human minions leapt out of the shadows armed with knives. One of them charged forward at the group, but Slade jumped and knocked the man down with a swing of his bo-staff. The second man also ran at them, but Nightwing tossed an explosive disc at the ceiling, it blew up on a rafter and knocked the beam down where it landed on the man.

The third man paused and turned to run, but Cyborg fired a blast of his arm-cannon and it hit the man, knocking him to the ground unconscious. That is when Trigon stepped out of the shadows, clapping slowly and tauntingly.
 
“Excellent work.” Trigon commended them.
 
“Who are you?” Cyborg aimed his cannon.
 
“Milord! I am sorry I led them here!” Havoc screamed.
 
“It does not matter. You did as I hoped you would, Havoc.” Trigon announced. “You have led most of the strong fighters away from the church. My daughter is defenseless now.”
 
Slade's eye widened as he realized whom the man in the black robe was. “Trigon.”
 
“Ah, Slade.” Trigon grinned sadistically. “First you fail in your duty to me, then you take up with Arella of all people. You shall suffer for your betrayal.”
 
“You're the one who stabbed me in the back.” Slade spat.
 
“Oh please, Wilson. You're painfully obvious. As far as humans go, you are exceptionally evil and cruel, and highly intelligent; but you're still no comparison to me.” Trigon informed him.
 
“You're looking pretty human yourself.” Slade replied.
 
“This body? Only temporary. As a matter of fact, my agent should be arriving at the church at any moment.” Trigon's evil smile grew, and Nightwing sprang into action. He charged at Trigon holding his bo-staff, but a wall of flames jumped up out of the ground and blocked Nightwing's path.
 
“Being in a human body only limits my powers; I still have them.” Trigon informed Nightwing as a circle of fire spread around him and Garfield, keeping them separate from the rest of the group.
 
“Damn it.” Nightwing punched the ground.
 
“Tell me, how does it feel being here, and knowing that the woman you love is back at that church about to die?” Trigon asked.
 
“Shut up!” Garfield and Nightwing both yelled at once, since neither of them could tell whom he was talking too. Surprisingly, however, Trigon's eyes had not been on either one of them. He had been looking at Slade. Slade, however, did not give Trigon the pleasure of an emotional reaction. Instead, the assassin spoke in a calm, cold voice.
 
“Believe me, Trigon, one thing I've learned about the Titans is not to underestimate them; and seeing as how they're on my side now, that's even more for you to fear.”
 
Trigon scoffed. “We shall see.”
 
----
 
Raven sat on one of the benches inside the church, looking out the window as rain spattered against the cold, stained glass. She heaved a sigh. She felt so helpless, like a child. All of this was her fault. She had created this mess, and she could not aid in the clean up process. She wanted too, God knows she wanted too. She wanted to go find Garfield and tell him she was sorry he had been targeted because of her. That would not happen, however.
 
“Raven, you must not be afraid.” Kori suddenly spoke up. The redhead was sitting right next to her and had put her arm around her friend in a reassuring gesture, but Raven shook her head.
 
“This is all my fault.” Raven said quietly.
 
“No, it is mine.” Arella announced. Raven and Kori both looked over at Arella, who stood leaning against the Preacher's Stand. Arella's face looked tired and worn out. “All of this began with me. However, I have no regrets, and you must not either.”
 
“How can you have no regrets?” Raven demanded, pushing Kori's arm off her shoulder, standing up and turning to face her mother. “How can you possibly have no regrets!?”
“My only mistake was getting mixed up with that cult.” Arella whispered. “Had I not done so, Trigon would have found another bride regardless, and I would have missed out on ever having you as a daughter.”
 
Raven shook her head dismissively. However, before she could say anything, they heard a groan from outside. All three ran to the doors and Kori wretched them open.
Outside, lying in the street was Garfield. He was battered, beaten, bruised and bleeding. Thick crimson blood ran off his wounds in the rain. Raven's eyes widened as she saw him lying there in the street, dying.
 
“Help . . . me . . . Rae . . .” He panted.
 
Raven ran out of the church towards him. Both Kori and Arella screamed out “No!” and tried to grab her, but they were too slow. Raven had already made it down the steps and past the protective seal of Azarath. The second her foot went outside the seal's protective rang, Raven screamed and fell to her knees.

It felt like someone had just rain nails across her body. She could feel white-hot pain as red runes appeared on her skin. Her eyes turned black and Raven hugged herself, trying to rid herself of the pain. A few feet away, Garfield's injured form transformed into a small green shape-shifting demon, which laughed and then scampered away into the night, pleased with his work.
 
Raven's scream grew louder and she threw her head back and arched her back. Black light shot forth from her mouth and it flew into the clouds, splitting the sky open. Red light poured forth onto the earth, illuminating everything with a harsh crimson glow.

“God forgive me.” Arella whispered. “I failed.”
 
Kori was speechless. The world around them was transforming, changing into something horrible. People's screams could be heard from every direction. The sky became red, the clouds turned black, and everyone Kori could see was transforming into stone statues.

Back at the warehouse in the bay, the bay waters turned as red as blood and the flames that had separated Trigon and Garfield from the others vanished. As soon as the flames were gone, Nightwing jumped forward and grabbed the black robbed man by the collar, slamming him into a stacked crate.
 
“Trigon, what's going on!?” Nightwing demanded.

“Who is Trigon?” The man in the black robe asked. “Who are you?”
 
“Don't play games with me!” Nightwing spat.
 
“He isn't.” Slade spoke in a hushed voice. “Look!”
Nightwing turned around and looked up, and his mouth fell open. Garfield and Cyborg were equally horror-stricken and did not move. A second later, the roof of the warehouse was ripped right up, and the group found themselves staring up at Trigon the Terrible - the true Trigon the Terrible.
 
“Daddy's little girl made me proud tonight.” Trigon announced. “All thanks to you, falling into such an obvious trap.”

“Damn it.” Slade cursed.
 
“That . . . isn't good.” Cyborg stared, his mouth agape.
 
“We're screwed.” Havoc was crying once again.
 
“Well, I'm off to visit Arella and Raven; I know they're both dying to see me.” Trigon grinned sadistically. “I'll be sure to say you said hello.”
 
Garfield growled like a animal, and for some reason Slade shook with rage when Trigon announced this. However, none of them got a chance to see this because at that moment, Trigon released his grasp on the roof, and it fell back onto the warehouse with a thud. The walls smashed in and the entire building collapsed around the Titans. Then, as if to seal the deal, Trigon slammed his fist down on the end of the dock that the warehouse sat on and it fell into the bay of red water, sinking down into the dark depths, and taking the Titans with it.
 
Trigon watched it sink, and then he turned and set off towards the church.
 
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
 
A/N: There you have it, another chapter, another cliffhanger! ^_^
As I said, someone told me review replies violated a rule of FFN. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I'm NOT taking a chance of having this story removed, so I'm no longer doing review replies. However, to everyone who did review: I thank you for reading, and please, continue reading and reviewing.
And if anyone wants to talk to me, about whatever, you can email me at GoldenSama@aol.com or IM me on AIM.
Thanks for reading, more coming soon!