Fan Fiction ❯ The Damon Stone ❯ Chapter One: At The Beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Damon Stone
 
Chapter one: At the beginning
 
Dark, quiet, and without rest, the fog outside seems to grow thicker and the air seems forever still. The house stands high and without fault, but inside laid unexpected peril for one family. All seems vacant, crashing is heard and a scream has broken the silence. Footsteps are pounding the stairs of the house as panic is rising in the souls of three siblings. The girl is watching the back for every sight of movement she detects, as the two boys in front concentrate on the path ahead. “Don't look back, whatever you do, don't turn around!” one said boy yells at the girl as he turned to look at her. She quickly averted her gaze at her brother. She held her brothers' hands tightly and followed them down the maze of corridors.
She feels empty and full of grief at the events that unrepentantly occurred in front of her eyes. Filled with innocence and purity, seeing all hopes of freedom perish and are thrown away right in front of her like it was nothing but trash. The three rounded a corner of the house, and entered a hall closet.
“As long as we keep quiet, he won't find us.” The girl assured her younger brothers. A whimper was coming from behind her. She turned around to see one of her brothers shivering and crying. She crawled over to him. “It's going to be ok, Anta.” She said to the short-haired boy. “What if he catches us, Katana?” he asked her. “He won't, now be quiet before he does.” The boy with longer hair answered. “Why would he do this? Why would he kill her?” Anta asked too shaken up to stay quiet. “Because he hated her, and he hates us. That's why we have to get out of here and contact the authorities.” The girl said. “How are we going to do that when he's probably right outside with a gun ready to blow our heads off?” the other boy asked. “I don't know, Crow. Now stop scaring Anta.” Katana responded. “Well, I'm not waiting around here for that to happen.” Crow said as he opened the door and peeked out. “Is anyone out there?” Katana asked. “No, no sign of anyone.” The long-haired boy responded. “Ok, then I suggests we get moving before he catches us.” She said and grabbed her terrified brother's hand and led him out of the closet along with her other brother. “We have to get out of here and find Sage.” Katana said quietly as to not inform their predator of their location. “How are we going to do that? He's all the way at the police station.” The crying boy asked. “We'll have to make it to one of the phones upstairs.” Crow said.
The triplets stalked quietly through the halls. Looking around every corner before rounding. They cautiously peeked into every room in search of a phone, but to no success. “One of the biggest houses in the world, and not one phone.” Crow stated. “There should be one in Sage's room. He gets called out for emergencies all the time.” Katana suggested. “What if he's in there, waiting for us?” Anta asked. “Then we'll have to get him out somehow.” Crow said. “He has a gun you idiot! How do you think we're going to handle that? None of us are strong enough to handle a bullet!” Anta shouted at his brother. “Then what do you suppose we do? Stand around here and either wait for him to find us or go and find a phone?” Crow snapped back. “Take it easy, Crow. Anta is scared and I know you are too. So let's just try to avoid him and find a phone. Agreed?” Katana said trying to calm her brothers down. “Agreed.” The brothers said in unison. The triplets continued walking. They came to a large hallway full of doors. “Which one is Sage's room again?” Crow asked. “I don't know, let's check them all, but do it very carefully.” Katana said. The brothers took one side and Katana took the other. They checked each room carefully and quickly as to not waste time. “I found it!” shouted Katana. The brothers ran to her and the door which happened to be the last door in the corridor. Just when they opened the door, they came up with an unexpected surprise. “And I found you three!” the man before spoke. The siblings shouted and jumped back. The man advanced forward with every step the triplets took back. Katana noticed the gun in the man's hand. She knew that if she didn't do something, her and her brothers wouldn't make it. She thought carefully on what to do and if it was the right thing to do. She decided and launched forward right into the man's stomach, knocking him down and pulling her brothers into the room, but not before grabbing the gun the man had dropped.
She closed the door behind her and locked it. “I can't believe you did that.” Anta said, shocked at what just happened. “Yeah, either your really brave or really stupid.” Crow commented. “Thanks, I guess.” Katana said out of breath. She heard a loud bang on the other side of the door and she jumped away from it. Crow wasted no time reaching for the phone and dialing the number for Sage's cell phone. He waited anxiously for someone to pick up. Someone than answered, finally. “Hello.” The person on the other line said. “Sage, this is Crow.” Crow responded. “Why are you calling me? Is something wrong?” Sage's voice sounded worried. “I'll say. He's gone crazy.” Crow said. “Who's gone crazy?” Sage asked. Before Crow could answer, the door sprang open and the man stepped barged in.
Crow, surprised, dropped the phone. Sage frantically tried to get Crow to tell him what was wrong. Sage heard a loud commotion on the other side of the phone and knew something was wrong when his little brother didn't answer him. He rushed out of the police department and ran to his car, telling the other officers to follow him. They did.
Meanwhile, at the house, there was a loud thud as the triplets hit the wall on the far side of the room. Katana saw the man approaching them and pointed the gun at him. She stood up and steadied the gun as best as she could, though she was frightened more that moment than she had ever been in her life. “Stop, I'll shoot if you come any closer!” Katana shouted, hoping the man would back off, but he kept going. “You don't even know how to use that; you'll hurt yourself before you hurt me.” The man said almost laughing. “Are you sure about that?” Katana asked, glaring at him. “You've never held a gun in your life, your father disapproved of them.” He said before charging. Katana reflexively pulled the trigger. The gun went off, and the bullet flew out of the gun toward the man. It almost missed him, but the bullet curved. The bullet pierced the outer part of the arm. The man winced and grabbed his injured arm. He almost fell over, but quickly regained his balance. As he was gaining back his composure, the triplets darted past him and ran out the door into the hallway.
The man saw them and ran after them. The triplets ran through the maze of corridors to elude the man and keep him from catching up. The triplets saw lights coming through the windows. The flashes of red and blue told them the police arrived and that Sage got the message. They ran down stairs and to the front door with the man right behind them. Katana tried to open the door to find out it was locked. They needed the key to open it. The three siblings looked at each other and backed away from the door. Crow looked behind him to see the man running to catch up. The triplets took a deep breath and ran forward, slamming into the door as hard as they could.
The door burst open and the triplets ran outside to see the police. The man ran out the door, not noticing the police until he was fully outside. The triplets ran to sage. “What's going on?” Sage asked. “He killed mom and he's trying to kill us.” Katana said, handing the gun she took from the man to Sage. Sage looked up at the man with a shocked expression. The rest of the officers had their weapons pointed at the man. “Arrest him!” the chief of police commanded. The officers did what they were told, and the man was forced into the police car. The car started to drive away.
The man looked at the triplets and caught the eye of Crow. That was the last time the triplets saw him. Both parents at the age of ten.