Fan Fiction ❯ The Link/Sheik Saga ❯ Child of Sin ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Zelda…or anyone else for that matter. They belong to Nintendo and whoever wrote the bloody video games.

Aubrey: *Eyes are watering as she stares at the document* Oh…crap! Am I really writing the last installment? I can't believe this is actually ending. Don't know if y'all know, or care, but when I started writing this series, I was planning on making He Never Spoke A Word a one-shot, but then I took it upon myself to write a sequel that no one asked for, nor I'm willing to bet, really wanted. But anyway, one thing led to another and here I am at part five. When I started writing Hero's Hero I pretty much knew where I wanted to go with this thing, and about how long it was going to take. But, Din! I didn't think I'd get spurred to write it so bloody fast! I'm going to miss this fic. *Sigh* But anyway, enjoy seeing if Sheik can manage to save the day this time! Hey he did it before, didn't he? *Crickets are heard in the background* Meh, I ignore you! Read and, as this is the last chapter, despite the fact that I'm usually opposed to this (call me a charlatan, if you must) please give me feedback. (For the entire story, peoples, not just the chapter. So…ja ne,

Child of Sin

Sheik directed his gaze to meet the frosted, hollow, gaze of the spirit that was now in habiting Link's body. He heard a faint growl from Nabooru and a thud that sounded suspiciously like Ruto falling off the bed in a dead-away faint. But all he saw was Link. His memories of the past twelve years and so far before bombarded him like a thousand Gorons falling from the top of Death Mountain. Memories of Link smiling, crying, and so many other emotions fleeting across his face. Memories of them making love, cuddling in the middle of night, kissing in public simply because they could, of Sheik rocking back and forth with Link curled up in his arms the night of the Incident…tears welled up in his ruby eyes as the spirit's eyes began to glow with some unknown power. This wasn't happening…Link wasn't gone. Sheik was just asleep, he would wake up and Link would be curled up next to him, just like always.

"You…" He whimpered, staring into those dead eyes. "You're not real. You can't be."

"You're a fool." The spirit replied. "I shall humble you."

Sheik cringed as 'Link's' aura flared and threw him from his former lover's vessel. The man who resembled Link cocked his head to the right for a moment, before striding forward and taking Sheik's chin in his hand, lifting it up somewhat.

"You're a pretty thing, aren't you, Sheikah?" The eerie voice spoke to him once more. "No small wonder that the Other fell for you. Unfortunately for you, I have neither interest, nor taste for men."

"What made you think I wanted you?" Sheik snarled, jerking his chin from the Link-spirit's grasp.

"You do love this body, do you not?"

"No!" Sheik shouted. "I loved the spirit that occupied it, monster!"

"Well then…" the spirit removed a small glass sphere from his tunic and stared at Sheik for a moment with hollow blue eyes. "If you want him, catch." Sheik gaped in horror as the spirit tossed the sphere into the air, allowing it to soar away from them both.

"No…" Sheik whispered. "Someone catch that thing!"

"I'm on it!" Saria replied swiftly building up her magical aura she sent several vines with large cushioning leaves that caught the sphere before it smashed against the tile floor. The leaves slowly snaked back to their Mistress and the Forest Sage picked up the ball, looking closely into its glassy surface. "Oh… Farore…" She muttered staring in awe at the small orb in her hands. "Sheik…come here…?" She requested lightly, still staring into the ball.

"What is it?" The Sheikah asked impatiently, raising to his feet and walking over to the Forest Sage.

"Look." Saria ordered, holding out the sphere for Sheik to see.

"Holy shit!" was the first thing that came out of his mouth, quickly followed by a worried. "Link?"

Inside the crystal orb, seemingly hovering within the confines beneath the glassy surface, was a miniature form of Link. Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit…not good. Link being possessed was not good at all.

'Damn you!" Sheik cried out in despair. "Damn you! You…monster! Give me back my Link! Give him back to me! I won't lose him now, not after all we've been through together!"

He choked as the tears began to fall, running consistently over his cheeks and dripping off his chin. Nabooru gasped, startled. The last time she had seen the young Sheikah with such an air of hopelessness had been the night of the Incident. Even then, Sheik had not lost all hope. Jumping lightly from her perch she ran over and grabbed Sheik from under his armpits.

"Don' worry, kiddo." She declared softly to him. "We're gunna kick some major ass with this little bastard."

"Smash the ball." The spirit ordered, looking calmly at the confused looks on the Sages' face. "Goddesses, you're a thick lot." It sighed. "If you wish to revive your friend, smash the ball. Doing so shouldrelease his soul."

"Why would you want to release Link's soul?" Saria asked him. "Aren't you afraid he'll want his body back?"

"That boy?" the spirit wished to confirm, with a small laugh. "That child is too weak to knock me over right now. Worry not, Saria of the Kokiri Forest, I am well secured to this vessel."

"Oh, good…" Saria mumbled, plucking the orb from Sheik's limp hands and handing it to Darunia. The Sage of Fire shot a small flame into the orb and the glass cracked and shattered. The tiny form of Link grew back to normal size and Sheik's head snapped up. Breaking free of Nabooru's grasp, the young Sheikah sprinted forward to catch Link's falling form, but when he reached the right place, Link simply passed right through him.

"What the bloody hell did you do to him?" Sheik demanded of the spirit, ignoring how odd it must have looked to the others to see him sitting in the middle of Link's spine. "Why can't I touch him?"

"He had no corporeal substance. You cannot touch what is not physically there." It replied with an almost gentle tone. "Sorry to disappoint you, Sheikah."

"So this is it?" Everyone jumped as Zelda's voice rang throughout her bedroom. "We've lost? This is the end of Hyrule?"

"Yes." The spirit nodded slightly, just the smallest inclination of its head.

"I…I won't accept this!" Zelda shrieked. "I won't lose to some vengeful ghost!"

"Kill it." Sheik whispered. His gaze remained set on Link's face. This was the only way to save Hyrule. Link would have wanted them to save Hyrule. He had sacrificed his virginity to save it from Ganondorf; he would want them to do anything and everything they could to save it now. Link had loved this country, this kingdom. He had protected it to the brink of death and beyond. He would want them to save it now…

"But, Sheik," Saria protested, "If we kill it now, Link will-"

"Link is already dead." Sheik declared harshly. "That…that…thing isn't Link. Kill it now before it can destroy what Link dedicated his life to protect…what Link gave his life to protect." No one moved, for fear that Sheik might change his mind. "Do it!" The Sheikah roared. "Kill it! Kill it now!"

"Right." Nabooru nodded, briskly. "I think I had promised ya an ass kicking anyway, ghost-boy."

"This is for Link!" Saria declared, the other Sages nodding in unison. This aura began to flare up as their elements raged around them, but Sheik remained still. His gaze never faltering from his former lover's face. Pale and lifeless, he nodded in remorse acceptance. For the first time in history, the Hero of Time had lost.

"I'm sorry…" He whimpered. "So sorry I couldn't save you." The battle raged on around him, but Sheik remained with Link. It only lasted a few minutes, but it felt like months had passed before there was a final rainbow coloured flash and Link's body fell to the ground. "I love you, my hero…"

~* END *~

Aubrey: I'm sorry folks. *Cries* I had to end it there. I was already straying relatively far from my original plot line so…poor Linky! *Save document and runs to upload it*