Fan Fiction ❯ The Story Of A Girl Named Mei ❯ Their Childhood ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

~*~Their Childhood~*~
~*~By: Elaine Morrison~*~
 
Kite lied his head on Mei's hospital bed closing his eyes for a moment thinking about their past while waiting for her sister and parents. He held her hand tightly and slipped into a sort of sleep as memories played past his minds eye. As it kept popping back to one in particular he concentrated on it remembering every detail like it was just the other day. As he went back to the beginning of the memory he slipped into a deeper sleep like state still gripping her hand tightly. He tried to will away the feel of her cold flesh and warm her with his own hand at the same time just liking being close to her.
 
It flashed back to when they were no bigger then 5 maybe 6 but no more then that. He was playing in his year at about 11 in the morning and he was about to go in to get his lunch from his mother and watch his favourite show then go back out to play but a moving truck had caught his attention and he sat watching the men start to unload the beds first then a few more things of furniture then a few trunks of clothing. He looked over at the car that pulled in a little bit after the beds were all off the truck and blinked as the man and woman got out then watched the back door open on the right side of the car a child about his age hop out wearing a pair of overalls and hat hiding the long hair.
 
He wasn't sure if it was a girl or boy so he just waited for them to turn around. As he saw the man opened the left back door and unbuckled another small child in a pink dress, he knew she was a girl but the other one had still yet to turn around which was making he a bit up set but he sat still hopping it was a boy so he would have someone to play with. He smiled a bit as they turned and moved her cap letting her long hair down. He saw that it was a girl not a boy but from the look of her she didn't act like most, wearing pink all the time and act prissy like the girls a his school. Even though he wasn't that old he still hated girls that acted like that.
 
He left his truck on the grass and got up dusting off the dirt then started to make his way across the road to see her. He saw that she didn't have any pink on her at all; his overalls were covered in grass and dirt stains and a few small rips here and there. Her sister on the other had was wearing nothing but pink and the mother was wearing a pink top and black skirt that looked horrid together but he shrugged it off and smiled as he got closer to the girl, she was once again looking the other way.
 
“Hello there, my names Kite and I live across form you.” He smiled and held out a hand when she turned and looked at him a bit surprised and took his hand shaking it slowly.
 
“Hi…ah…my names Mei, I know it's a weird name but its easy to spell.” She giggled and took her had away slowly looking at him a bit then turning to her mother “Can I go play mama?”
 
“Ah sure Mei just be careful…no, no we want that to go up stairs right away not left out here” her mother hadn't even looked at her then was back to bossing the movers around like dogs along with her husband. As Mei turned around and smiled again at the boy who had startled her a bit a first and nodded.
 
“Well, where can we go to play kite?” she smiled and waited for him to answer. Then looked past him and down the street seeing trees at the end and her smile got bigger. “There's a forest here?” she looked back at him still smiling. He looked back at the place she was looking at then back at her.
 
“A small one behind the pond, there's lots of frogs and snakes there, do you like them?” he smiled back then turned and looked at the trees as well. “Would you like to go there?” he moved a bit out of her way so she could see a bit more
 
“Yeah, lets go kite maybe we can catch some frogs?” she smiled and started to head off to the trees Kite close at her heels nodding and saying `yeah' then quickly running back to his house to grab a net and bucket then running after her again.
 
She started to run and came to a stop about 5 feet from the edge of the water not seeing the small cliff and ran for it again slipping down the slope. Kite reached down and grabbed her hand and stopped her a few inches before the water and pulled her back up a bit resting her on a small ledge.
 
“Careful you almost fell into the water Mei.” He moved and sat beside her on the ledge leaving the net and bucket on the grass behind them. He looked over at her for a moment then back at the water.
 
“So its just water right?” she giggled a bit then jumped in and stayed under the water for a moment then came back up holding a frog and started laughing again. “See I know how to catch them Kite.” She laughed as he grabbed the bucket and jumped in and headed towards her.
 
“Wont your mother be mad about your clothes?” he tilted his head a bit and held the bucket out for her to put the frog into. As she did she grabbed the bucket and looked down at the frog. As she looked down she heard a splash as he jumped in and caught a frog as well and she laughed.
 
“She won't care as long as I don't get the floors wet, she never has really, I thought you brought that net to catch things with not your hands.”
 
“I brought it for you actually, and I didn't think we would be going into the water like this.” He looked down at him self and saw some algae on hit shirt which he quickly wiped off.
 
“Yeah well I never much liked using nets to catch things anyway, except fish, there hard to catch with your hands.” She smiled and held the bucket out for him to put his frog in then moved to sit on the ledge.
 
He moves and sat with her and looked at her then pulled a piece of green stuff out of her hair. “Want to let these guys go and go back home now, and change into some clean clothing?” He looked at the frogs in the bucket.
 
She nodded and picked up one frog and drops it into the water and hands him the bucket to let him let his go. “Yeah, maybe you can come over for lunch or something” She smiles and got up and rang out her pant legs a bit waiting for him to get up after letting the frog go.
 
He got up and they walked back to her house talking about various things him holding the bucket and her holding the nets.
 
Just as the memory had come it was gone, Kite opened his eyes looking at Mei a tear slipped down his left cheek and he held her hand a bit tighter. He didn't want to lose her, not now when he was finally going to tell her how he felt, he would just lose it if she died.
 
Her family was still not there yet and it was getting close to the time when visitors hours were going to end and he didn't want to leave her here all alone. He knew her parents wouldn't be there till at least tomorrow and her sister wouldn't come by her self so she wont show up until her parents get here.
 
A nurse came in and he asked to stay with her for the night and the girl nodded and asked if he needed a cot and he said no and she left closing the door. Leaving him to sit beside her never letting her hand go as he laid his head on the edge of her bed again closing his eyes this time a dream took hold of him and a different memory played before his eyes. It was another one of Mei and him in the 1st grade and they were in the same class and he remembered how happy he was that she was in his class, no one else in school really liked him but she did and he was glad for that, and with that he let a smile slip onto his lips happily in his sleep.
 
~*~The End~*~