Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors 2 the Horizon made from the Warrior book series ❯ Rainpaw and the Windhowlers ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Rainpaw and the Windhowlers
Chapter 1

Rainpaw looked over and saw the beautiful young tabby she had befriended. “I know that is her,” she mewed glancing over to see the worried look swell on Ravenheart’s face.
Rainpaw did a small sigh, she understood how she felt for she missed her den-mate Sierrapaw with all her life. Not even the slightest feeling made her happy when she was away from them so long, even being by Cheetahfur made her see memories of her home on the island.
“Cheetahfur,” she mewed slowing down to allow the warrior to catch up to her, his strong athletic body pawed against the ground and soon he had caught up with the apprentice.
“Do you think I will ever become a warrior,” she sighed pawing faster. “I miss our river, and the smell of it along with all the other cats in the clan even young Lilackit who I barely know.”
Cheetahfur gave a curt nod, his green eyes stared unreadable at Fawnheart. She tore the ground where she stood to stand beside her two clan mates Amberpaw and Ravenheart.
“I thought we’d never see you again,” growled Tigerpaw huddling beside Amberpaw with a cold glare. “Miracles can always happen,” she replied then flicked her tail at his nose.
“Don’t you worry I am fine, Ravenheart,” mewed Fawnheart. Her amber eyes filled with sudden emotion. A gray tabby tom padded toward them, his big round blue eyes stunned at the huge lot of cats. “Greetings friends of Fawnheart, why did you come here so late,” meowed the tom.
“I am Mountainbreeze or the storytelling cat,” he purred doing a slight bow.
“This is my clan-mates Ravenheart and Amberpaw,” meowed Fawnheart pointing at her friends with her tail.
“These other not friends then,” spat the tom unsheathing his claws. “No they are my friends,” she laughed. “This is my friend Rainpaw. “Nice to meet you Mountainbreeze, she mewed back a reply for the young silver tabby. “This is Hawkfur and Swiftclaw, not to mention small little Tigerpaw,” she purred. “Hey watch it I may be small, but I can still bite,” spat Tigerpaw, his fur was bristling.
Mountainbreeze flinched as if it was a serious threat. “And who is the brown young tom with the spots,” asked the storyteller looking at Cheetahfur.
“I am Cheetahfur,” he mewed padding toward the front of the tom then giving a slight bow to him. “You smell like a Windhowler,” spat Storyteller his fur lie flat though.
“Windhowler is our way for saying wolf,” he mewed. “If you don’t know what a wolf is it is a large canine like creature with the hunting skills of a crasher.” A crasher is one of those things that Twolegs drive around in,” he purred in amusement.
“We call them monsters,” growled Tigerpaw. “What is it you are here for, you don’t seem to be interested into my tales,” asked the Storyteller. “We are here to get a prophecy from the Storm,” meowed Cheetahfur.
“I know who you are looking for then,” mewed the older tom. “Don’t worry at all I will find him and he will tell you the news of the prophecy for he also has a prophecy he wishes to tell the journeying cats.

The tabby padded away his sleek body made it impossible to tell where the storyteller. “What does he means by his prophecy,” Rainpaw snorted about ready to over to where the Storyteller had went to. ’
“I don’t know and hopefully we can find out,” growled Cheetahfur answering Rainpaw’s question.
“Fawnheart before we got here what did they tell you about themselves,” asked Hawkfur, his tail flicked from eagerness?
Fawnheart nodded, “Well all I know is that they are a clan that lives in this Tundra valley, and they have different names for each other. Like the storyteller is the cat responsible for making up a story for anyone who wishes it. The leader is a white tom, just like our leader only younger,” purred Fawnheart.
“Maybe that is who Storm is then,” growled Swiftclaw pawing at the snow. “Stop playing around Swiftclaw, we’re trying to do something you never do , think,” her eyes lighted up with amusement. “We all know that we are stuck here until.” she stopped what she was saying. A large brown tom ran over to the tunnel screaming. “The Windhowler killed Colby,” he spat racing toward a large den I the middle of the ice dug caves.
“You are not going to get me in there to sleep,” spat Rainpaw seeing the caves were made from ice and snow.
“Come on Rainpaw or would you rather be an open target for those wolves,” Cheetahfur hissed. “Well at least I wouldn’t feel like a prisoner,” she hissed back.
Why is this camp so quiet? Is there a secret we don’t know about? All we know is that this camp is in the middle of a snow filled area, Rainpaw thought.
“Well what if we can’t get out of here,” she hissed? “I don’t think we would have to stay here unless Starclan told us,” mumbled Ravenheart. Amberpaw nodded. “In the mean time when are we going to eat,” spat Swiftclaw licking a snowball with his tongue.
“It’s as good as cold water,” he mewed flicking his tail with amusement. Though Rainpaw found it hard to believe even Swiftclaw was becoming her friend. Fawnheart and Amberpaw along with Ravenheart were already close while Hawkfur still remains just a friend. She took a deep breath her blue eyes angered by the shining light from the sun.
“Hello friends, my name is Dusk. “I will be leading you to the place you can sleep, then tomorrow you hear both prophecy,” meowed the brown tom. “What kind of prey is around here,” asked Swiftclaw padding after Dusk?
“There are rabbits, elk, deer, raccoons, ferrets, mice, and wolves,” he growled looking around him in alert.
“We only hunt baby elk though,” he mewed in a humorous tone. “And you cats like to eat and kill raccoons,” Cheetahfur asked standing up to stand beside him.
Rainpaw realized he must be talking about the time when they faced a large raccoon in the forest, without realization of how dangerous it was. The thought still pulled on her fur. Why was there so many predators out here? How would they ever survive,” she thought to herself?
“Wait, Cheetahfur, don’t raccoons eat things out of the Twolegs thrash,” she mewed looking violently at the huge muscled brown tom.
“Yes the fat ones do,” laughed Dusk his eyes closed shut for a long moment. Rainpaw couldn’t believe her ears. Was this cat insane? I mean the last time she ran into a raccoon it nearly killed her. Was the raccoons here so easily caught as if a mouse? She shook her head from confusion, not a single word made sense to her, or was it all lies to keep a hidden secret?
“I just had a vision, so I must go tell Storm but for now you eight follow me,” he mewed padding up to a snow tunnel.
The inside looked carved of ice and the claws of cats stung huge marks on the ice, leaving it looking like something attacked it. Or was it that someone attacked their camp?
Rainpaw padded forward into the den her fur prickled with a cold sense of insecurity. Ice rubbed against her pelt. Though they had snow back at their homes they never had to sleep in it.
Rainpaw looked away the ice her eyes gleaming of homesickness. “I wish I could go home,” she muttered
Cheetahfur, and Rainpaw padded over toward the ice den he had pointed at. “This stinks,” growled Rainpaw he paws freezing from the temperature of the ice. “Sorry,” muttered Hawkfur his eyes gleamed with amusement. “So this is where we sleep tonight. “At least it’s not in a dark cave and plus we can get something to eat.
Fawnheart nodded then laid down, her pelt although it’s length seemed to shiver from the frozen temperature of the ice. A large yowl made her flinch. “We killed some Windhowlers,” purred a young she-cat her fur pale as the moon.
Rainpaw stared in disbelief. “We had a hard enough time with one Windhowler I mean wolf and it was merely a pup,” she spat her fur bristled and her anger seemed to make the ice beneath her melt from rage. “This is the lowest cave here, mewed another voice. “Hello Dusk, Storm needs you know she purred.
“Yes, Meadow,” mewed the muscular tom. “I will be right there,” he added padding out of the ice den. The other cat padded into the den. She was the first cat that Rainpaw had seen that actually looked normal. The scent of mouse and an unfamiliar scent made her nose reek. The she-cat padded inside. She had a brown and white pelt and even reminded her of herself a little bit.
“What is that smell,” hissed Swiftclaw prodding over toward the entrance of the den near Meadow. “Hello, my name is Meadow,” she purred dropping a few fresh pieces of prey. “I am a camp defender.”
“What does that mean,” asked Hawkfur who stood on a small ice shaft. “Does it mean, like to defend your camp from enemies,” suggested Tigerpaw.
“Yes young kits it means we stand guard and protect our camp, this is the best way to survive when we have so many enemies including the deadly Windhowlers.”
“Meadow you seem to be troubled is there something wrong,” mewed Rainpaw padding over to comfort the older she-cat. “I am fine what are you talking about,” the brown and white cat replied her bushy tail was held high in fret as she left the den.
“Wait,” mewed Rainpaw seeing the she-cat leave.
“What are they trying to hide,” spat Amberpaw her fur was ruffled and her eyes glared a menacing glow. “What could they hide for long,” laughed Swiftclaw. His blue eyes let out a cold stare.
“Wait a second, there are some fish in the fresh-kill pile,” meowed Cheetahfur gripping a small fish between his teeth. “I wish I could find the river or pond where they found this,” he mewed his longing to swim had increased as they journeyed from the Fourtrees to the mountains to the fields to this icy tundra. Rainpaw as well missed the river and all of the sounds of it as well. “Hey Cheetahfur maybe we can find out where the water is around here, after all you and I know we miss the river and all it’s content including swimming. “The snow in this place is just exhausted,” growled Hawkfur padding over toward the fresh-kill pile to pick out a small rabbit. “Tigerpaw, wish to share a rabbit with me,” asked Amberpaw dropping a rabbit in front of the pale tabby with black stripes. Cheetahfur nodded then dropped to the ground. His eyelids closed and he curled into a ball.
Rainpaw did a short sigh her eyes didn’t close but she curled up beside Amberpaw. What is going on with the cats here, they act if they need help or they are worried about something. But what could it be that they are worried about?