Fan Fiction ❯ Winter, Again ❯ Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Notes:
again everyone! Here is the fifth chapter! Please read and review!!



Winter, Again

"Hospital! Let's get her to the hospital, quick!!!" Tareena cried frantically as she cradled her best friend.

"I'm on it!" Hiro took out his cellphone and called for the hospital. "Hello? We need an ambulance, now! My friend has been stabbed! Yes...carnival...you know where it is...yes. Right away! Thanks..." *click* Hiro looked down at Tareena. "They'll be coming here as fast as they can." He looked around briefly. "Where's Cyrus?"

The said young man was frantically looking about at the entrance of the gallery. "BASTARD!! WHERE ARE YOU?! I'LL TEAR YOUR THROAT OUT!!!" The people outside, who were unaware of the what had happened inside just stared at him. Cyrus grabbed a man by the collar. "You!! Have you seen a gypsy man pass by here?!" His eyes shown with firey anger, that the man cowered just seeing him like that.

"I..I..I don't know....he didn't go out....."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE DIDN'T GO OUT?! I SAW HIM COME OUT RIGHT HERE!!"

"I..I'm..s-sorry...."

"USELESS SONUVA---" He pulled back his fist to punch the man, but a hand gripped his wrist. He turned to see Hiro frowning at him. "Punching that man won't help, Cy. Let's go back to Cyrene."

As they neared the place where they were, they could hear a girl's wail. Recognizing it to be Tareena's they both ran.

"Tareena!!" Hiro said, as they approached her. The girl was sobbing frantically, but having heard Hiro's voice she turned to them with her tear-filled eyes. "She's gone!! Cyrene's gone!!!"

Hiro's eyes widened. "What?!" Suddenly, he felt someone brush across him. It was Cyrus, kneeling and yelling frantically down next to Cyrene and shaking her shoulders. "Wake up brat!!! How dare you fall asleep in this place!!! You're an embarrassment, do you know that?! Don't sleep I said!!!" He shook her shoulders more, his own loud voice beginning to break. "WAKE UP, DAMN YOU!! WAKE UP!!!!!!"

But his sister did not wake up. His yell, Hiro's body shaking, Tareena's frantic sobs...Cyrene Heaven did not see nor hear them at all.


* * *


Tareena stood on the pedestal, her hand shaking slightly as she unfolded a piece of paper. She then looked up and faced the audience, which composed of the Heaven family, her own family, Hiro's family, her classmates, teachers, neighbors....in fact, everyone in the town was present at the funeral of her friend. She saw how much her friend was loved dearly. She swallowed the growing lump in her throat, determined not to cry. She wanted to deliver the most beautiful eulogy for her dear best friend. And she wasn't going to ruin it by crying, dammit. She took a deep breath, and started.

"Dear loved ones and friends, I stand before you today on behalf of my friend Cyrene Heaven, who has left us for the next world. Her death was not an accident though, someone took her life. But I will not go into that, because I know that it would not be worth talking about. Instead, I will just dwell on Cyrene herself. The cheerful and friendly Cyrene. She always had a warm smile on her face, and a very accomodating personality. Everyone in the school was her friend. She was very respectful to teachers and authorities. She was also very kind, but she also stood up for what she believed in. Cyrene was also a talented girl, the principal skater to our ice skating varsity, as well as the representative to competitions outside. She was a loving daughter to Mr and Mrs Tempest Heaven, and sister to Cyrus Heaven. She was also a loyal and good friend. We were best friends for many years now, sharing secrets and stories, and doing a lot of stuff together. We knew that we would be best friends forever. But I just..never thought...." She sniffed, rubbing an eye with a handkerchief. "I just never thought she'd...." She swallowed in another lump in her throat, willing herself hard not to cry. "I just never thought she'd die this soon. But we will still be best friends, forever." She unfolded another piece of paper. "While I was...was making this eulogy...I came across this poem, from the book that she had given me for Christmas last year. She showed me all of her favorite poems from that book, and this poem by Christina Georgina Rosetti is one of them. I'm sure she'll want this to be read to you all..."

Tareena took a deep breath and began to read.

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half-turn to go, yet turning to stay,
Remember me when no more, day by day,
You tell me of our future that you planned;
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray,
Yet if you should forget me for awhile
And afterwards remember, do not grieve;
For if darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts I once had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
That you should remember and be said.

Sighing, Tareena looked up at the sky. "Cyrene, wherever you are...we'd like you to know that we all love you very much and that we will never forget you. Always."